Anyone seen this? What it is about?

Anyone seen this? What it is about?

Other urls found in this thread:

lichess.org/CvMY7jRj
youtu.be/J6XPXC-AKZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the ending is amazing

It's about the 1956 grandmaster chess comp between bobby Fischer and Ivan chauchovsky

So...who wins?

pretentious crap. if you want something deeply philosophical go read actual philosophers not some retarded swede

I'm sure this is a meme. I watched this movie and guess I enjoyed it, but I did t understand what was really going on. Maybe I'll try watching it again

why is it considered one of the best?

It's an existential road trip across Black Plague ridden Europe with occasional Chess games with Death. Despite the reputation it has as a endlessly depressing and pretentious movie, it's actually pretty entertaining and accessible.

god's silence

definitely not accessible, it makes no sense and is artsy af

something like Casablanca or citizen kane are light years more accessible

The lighting, set pieces and music are all pretty much flawless. Amazing framing, possible the most iconic depiction of death in film and an interesting premise... Gee i wonder why

You definitely need to watch it a few times, also read roger eberts review on it to get some insight

doesnt say much really.

Anyone who calls this film pretentious has seen a total of 3 films in their life. When I think pretentious I think of something like Synecdoche NY

is it though? I always see Winter Light, Persona or Wild Strawberries as the favorites among Bergman's fans

If you're used to watching nothing but Hollywood movies then yes it's absolutely not accessible. Which is most people really. I'm not judging I'm just saying that the movie is literally the polar opposite of whatever action movie is currently playing at a theatre right now.

It's a movie for people who love movies is a good way to describe it. If you're happy with Bud Light and you enjoy it then I really am happy for you and godspeed. But there are other things out there.

Regarding it making no sense - you'll have to be more specific as the storyline isn't very difficult to process at least for me. I don't think there was anything in the movie whatsoever that a person of average intelligence wouldn't understand. Again though it doesn't follow the traditional Hollywood formula. Just my $.02

huh
It's so revered because it's a flawless piece of film making brain let

Pretentious is such a retarded description. Who cares if somethings pretentious as long as it can back it up. The French new wave was pretentious as fuck but made some amazing films

>competing against death itself
>who wins
Do you really have to ask?

I honestly never understood why non-swedish speaking people enjoy Bergman sure he made some great movies, but the way he wrote his characters they're all speaking very beautiful dialogue and only the context can be translated. So i've always found it a bit pretentious when people (especially americans) speak so highly of him.

This is the only movie I've seen by him. With that being said, the premise and story, as well as visuals, of the movie are amazing. Even though I cannot understand all of the dialogue, I can still enjoy it for what it is about.
I think this is why it is held in such high regard.

I'm latino and I personally just love "poetic" or "beautiful" dialogues. From Oscar Wilde to Shakespeare and Seventh Seal.

That's just some guy in a suit.

I personally am not that great with world cinema or 2deep4me art films but The Seventh Seal is one of my favorites.

It has a beautiful black and white image, the atmosphere feels really "medieval" (and rural). There are many things going on with the paranoia and despair for the Black Death (that procession scene is impressive). The protagonist has some great lines about religion, god and death.

Cries and whispers is my absolute all time favorite Bergmann's film.
And guess what? It was his favourite as well.

> This is the usual tv poster
It pains to read

lichess.org/CvMY7jRj

Just for curiosity, what's your IQ average?
A crusader returns his land only to find it swiped by plague, misery and death. And death comes to him,but he proposes a game. A chess game. The winner gets to keep his soul. Death, knowing the inevitable outcome, agrees. The game is rigged from the start. But then our knight manages to cheat death, not for saving his own life, but offering himself in a distraction so he can save the young prosperous couple and their infant. They manage to escape, tu run away. And though death's scythe gets all of the other characters, this ingenious couple and baby manage to live on, representing the faith and hope for all human kind as opposed to the darkest anguish of mortality.
What did you not get?

Massive Bergman fan here. I love those three, but Seventh Seal is far more accessible and would be the first film I showed a non-Bergie.

Have you heard something called "translations"?
Are you implying that only the English speaking can appreciate Shakespeare? And only the french can take Baudelaire?

>pretentious as long as it can back it up.
If it can back it up it is not pretentious, do you even know what the word means?

I'd be looking for the other half of the ticket.

I'm sure some things are lost in translation though, wordplay , puns, rhymes etc might not work in another language.

One thing I noticed watching this is that the English audio and subs were different in some places, so it definitely had some elements that were mistranslated, or ambiguous or whatever

ANYBODY SEEN
A KNIGHT PASS THIS WAY?

I SAW HIM PLAYING CHESS
WITH DEATH YESTERDAY.

maybe not the best but one of the most iconic out of bergman's work.

Here's a plot synopsis in song form
youtu.be/J6XPXC-AKZ0

whoa whoa hold the fucking phone
translating art makes some elements of it get lost in translation?
fucking. Blew. My. Freaki*g. Mind.

I'm American but I speak some Swedish and I do think some of the ambiguous dialogue is lost in translation. An oft-argued example would be at the beginning when Death asks Antonius if he's "ready" ("är du beredd?") and Antonius replies "min kropp är beredd, inte jag sjalv", but he shortens "beredd" to "redd" which makes it sound like he's saying he's scared, not "ready". I dunno if that's intentional or if I'm just dumb at interpreting Swedish lol. But either way I think Bergman's films are very aesthetically pleasing, and the world and themes of The Seventh Seal are interesting to me, so even if I couldn't speak Swedish I'd still enjoy them I think.

All according to keikaku (keikaku means plan)

I think if you follow the chain of posts, you will hopefully see you're retardedness.

Det är jag som är döden.