Honestly is there anything that can redeem this series at this point?

Honestly is there anything that can redeem this series at this point?

Other urls found in this thread:

indiewire.com/2017/06/alien-covenant-box-office-flop-series-1201837669/
youtube.com/watch?v=hddYB-FbD5M
alien-covenant.com/news/fox-trust-ridley-scott-break-new-ground-with-alien-covenant-sequel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like how that posters represents nothing that actually happens in the movie. It's like the marketing department didn't even like the film.

Alien Isolation was amazing

The only expectation I had with Covenant was for it to be better than Prometheus, it failed to even do that.

Alien > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Aliens > Alien: Covenant > Alien Resurrection

>all those guys who make up these grand theories about how important the film posters portrayal will be in the movie
Wow

The girl who leaves at the end of Prometheus to have new adventures - nope she's dead.

The Engineers and all the unanswered questions with them - nope dead too.

All the characters we followed this movie for two hours - nope they die too.

Connects things to Alien - nope, it doesn't. fuck you.

Bravo Scott.

They need to drop their inuniverse truth bombs already.
Pretty sure that the "engineers" in covenant were not the actual engineers.
So they really need to reveal the actual engineer civilisation maybe the next planet that will happen.

stop making Alien movies and just start a new franchise

Reboot starring Sigourney Weaver as a female version of Ash named Ashley

Finally she can get pieced by that Xenomorph right?

Pretty certain Scott stopped giving a fuck about Covenant after the studio forced him to make it an actual Alien movie.

To be fair, I don't think anyone, other than Scott, wanted another Prometheus.

yeah, that plotline is gone. Long gone. That's what happens when you hire writers from Lost.

The aliens seen in covenant were probably not the engineers dude. They were just another race like humans made by the engineers.

Scott is a fucking hack.

Brace for some retcon stating that humans were actually not made by the engineers but by the engineers rivals.

Has Ridley Scott or anyone else involved in the production of Covenant ever hinted at that, or is it just a fan theory? Just wondering where the idea came from

What do you like most about it, user? I bought the game recently but I'm afraid I won't find the game scary because I already know what the alien looks like, and I know what the death animations look like. Do you think the game can still be scary? Nice atmosphere and tension?

Play it on hard from the get go.

maybe he's trying to give studios a reason to never make another alien film

desu tho prometheus had a last minute script re-write by some rando because the studio thought scott's script was 2deep4u due to how stupid the american audience is so they wrote a bunch of religion into mara's character

>tfw we were made by the lesser Humanities majors while the Xenomorphs were made by the Engineer STEM masterace

Not that user but everyone already knows what the Xenomorph looks like. It works perfectly despite that, and while I am fairly certain you'll find it scary even if you don't it's AMAZING as a recreation of the sets, props and aesthetics of the first movie.

Well its just my thoughts. When i first watched it i thought they were welcoming their pilots back from a mission.
Then it occured to me that they were actually a primitive people welcoming back their creators.
They had no technology to speak of besides the docking bay thing, they were also like an ancient human civilisation.

True or is the guy full of shit?
indiewire.com/2017/06/alien-covenant-box-office-flop-series-1201837669/

That's nice of him. Fuck the studio, fuck the audience, and keep the paycheck for doing so. Whadda guy.

A movie set in the future where they semi-successfully weaponize xenomorphs and incorporate engineer design philosophies into human technology with disastrous results, aka Aliens 2/3

Prometheus was good, and that gave Scott more leeway to do what he wanted for a follow up along with the mega hit that was the martian. he just went full retard and was salty over fan complaints about prometheus. Fuck him

I would like that twist, if not for the implication that David, the unerring android, was so pants-on-head retarded he couldn't tell he was genociding the wrong species. Personally, I figured they were just trying to present the Engineer homeworld contrary to everyone's expectations, deliberately going for something strikingly different to the super-advanced utopia we were expecting. I think the impoverished and poorly dressed Engineers were supposed to hint at a prevailing stoic/cynic philosophy, where their tech prowess isn't integrated into their whole society as in ours but instead reserved for special purposes. I get the impression they became so advanced as a species that they began to reject technology and live in accordance with nature. Maybe that's why they hate some of their creations so much—the lure of power that comes from technological progress turns them against the natural order.

Why do you think he's a hack, user? I'm just interested in your opinion. Flesh it out for me.

>Then it occured to me that they were actually a primitive people welcoming back their creators.

I noticed this too but I think it's more about their society and caste-like class system.

There are "master race" engineers like those who played with the goo on the Prometheus planet, and there are "lesser" engineers who are more primitive on those other planets.

Well, there is one thing...
youtube.com/watch?v=hddYB-FbD5M

Play on hard and let that atmosphere sink in. It's fucking amazing (for the first ten hours, then it dips into boring territory).

Game gave me some real thrills and chills. When the Alien is stalking you and you hope it doesn't find you in the locker but it fucking does? Terrifying.

What if he knew they weren't the engineers and just wanted to use the primitive civilisation to experiment on.
He put Shaw in sleep before they arrived. She would have no idea.
What if he is now taking the colonists to the actual engineers.

I think the theme they are starting to go for is that humanity is different because it progressed away from a primitive agriculture society. Advancing rapidly and polluting.
While the primitive society in Covenant was an example of an Engineers favourite society. Primitive and naturalist.
Earth was going to get wiped out and returned to nature if it made contact.

Oh, and Medbay was probably the most horrifying part of the whole game.

Friendly reminder that the ship at the beginning of Prometheus that leaves earth is NOT a donut ship

Still want to know what that was and who piloted it

I think some have suggested the prometheus engineers were their equivalent of androids.
Their job seemed to be to wait for thousands of years before starting their mission.
Something covenant contradicts is the mural in prometheus. If David created the xenomorph why was there a mural of one in prometheus.

Full of shit.

It was a shitty story. It's setup was a retread of the original except all the characters were imbeciles and someone decided Fassbinder's angry robot shtick that has been done a hundred times before was what people wanted to see instead of a decent Alien film. Even people who liked Prometheus were bound to be annoyed by how this one just turns that into a big shaggy dog story.

Doesn't he pretty much say in Covenant to Walter that they were Engineers, though? I could only bear to watch the film once, so I can't remember exactly. But yeah, I think that's exactly where the whole thing is going. It's very fitting with the overarching ancient Greece theme, the romanticism in Covenant, and, of course, the Engineers' trademark "biomechanical" approach to tech. In this context, it's ironic that David, who seems almost to revere the Engineers in his own twisted kind of way, would represent all they despise, being a robot built to serve and all.

Full of shit. Scott's still got the okay to go ahead with his vision.

alien-covenant.com/news/fox-trust-ridley-scott-break-new-ground-with-alien-covenant-sequel

I recall him being angry about humans not deserving their creations and the Engineers create humanoids. So maybe he reasons the Engineers are not deserving of their creations either.
Which could work that he is only interested in genociding humanoids specifically. The "Engineers" have human dna.
It's interesting that he refers to non-botanical life as the meat.
In Prometheus they seem to revere the Xenomorph. The neomorphs eat meat.
So what if the possibility is the Xenomorph is the actual "Engineers".
Maybe humanity was their attempt to free themselves from a sacrificial culture.

They're letting him do another one? Oy.

Hopefully the first scene will be David getting tossed into a trash compactor.

Another thing using the bio-weapon effectively robs the Xenomorph any chance of existing.

Always bet on Ridley

Covenant made money. Might not have been as much as they were expecting, but it still made money. So they probably figure the worst case scenario is that they'd break even with a third.

They seriously need to go big or go home with the whole Engineer story arc though.
How come the new Blade Eunner is more visually spectacular? Thats the sort of imagery I expected for the actual Engineers civilisation.

>They seriously need to go big or go home with the whole Engineer story arc though.
Completely agree.

>Thats the sort of imagery I expected for the actual Engineers civilisation.
The Engineer homeworld being a dump was a bit of a cop-out, really. Without Giger's involvement, I don't think they could have possibly made a serious go at a proper Engineer homeplanet.

It seems pretty silly that the Engineers would be so vulnerable to their own weapon. So skeptical that the people seen are actually them.

>It seems pretty silly that the Engineers would be so vulnerable to their own weapon.
So is America immune to the atom bomb because we developed it first? The opening scene of prometheus is the engineer drinking some goo and sacrificing himself to create life.

anything's possible in the world of hacky writing.

alba

Alien 3 > Alien > Aliens > Resurrection > Covenant > Prometheus

Covenant wasn't bad. It wasn't very scary and a bit drawn out, but it had some interesting scenes and ideas. The first part was shit, but once David is introduced the movie gets better and better. Fassbender plays well and his characters are good

They are called "Elephantine Engineers". They do look different. Seems like the Prometheus engineers are the Master Race, and they create and destroy other sub-races.

I loved both Prometheus and Covenant. Explain to me why they are bad please. You don't just parrot they are bad because everyone else does right user? You wouldn't do that, surely you have your own opinion?

>Covenant made money
It was less profitable than Prometheus. Kikes really blew it with their focus group, anti-creative fan service bullshit. Hopefully some of those yid and female producers get removed, and real artists like Ridley are granted more influence.

How about the fact all the characters acted like total morons

Covenant:

repeats Prometheus stupidity of walking around on a strange world without helmets (complete with why that's a bad idea)

character lockes someone in room with monsters, then lets out, then runs around in a panic shooting her gun and blowing up the whole ship.

people continue to walk off alone after they learned there's monsters running around.

people walk off with the robot they are suspicious off, listen to suspicious robot when he says things like "stick you face in there."

don't double check your own identical robot to make sure he's not the evil one switched out (oh, he's missing an arm good enough for me)

that's just off the top of my head, not to mention whole film is fan fiction tier

“Sure the Alien is the villain everyone goes to these for, but instead I’ll make the villain the super smart eloquent guy that punks everyone and manages to be the mastermind behind the whole series and wins in the end because he’s just so kewl.”

I think Scott said in an interview that they are the engineers.
He is old an senile and babbles in his interviews so maybe he will change his mind, or already has.

I think David is reverse engineering the xenomorphs.
I’m not sure if he knows that or not.
It might come back to him telling Walter he can’t create anything and he thought he was creating himself but is just copying what’s already made.
I don’t give Scott that much credit though. I don’t even think he knows where this is going anymore.

It's been shown that Deacons or Deacon-likes are a natural byproduct of Goo Infection.

The creature on the Mural looks more like that than a regular xeno.

I was fine with it. Faggots were demanding an alien movie and Ridley gave it to them. I'm far more interested in the engineers and David.

>Deacons or Deacon-likes are a natural byproduct of Goo Infection.
Except when it makes your head explode, or turns you into a zombie, or a giant monster version of yourself, or makes a monster pop out of your back, or does it turn you into a goo carrying parasite, or maybe it just breaks down your DNA and makes all life on earth.
I'm no famous director or screenwriter, but before I started work on this project I would have sat everyone down and said "Okay, so lets nail down what DOES the black goo actually DO?" you know, so the movie makes sense to the crew, and by extension the audience.

I would have been happy if the entire movie was David and Walter trying to convince the other of their point of view.

Yeah, so we can have nano machines and Weaver crammed into the plot for no reason.

Scott is the problem here.

ridley scott dying

The goo infects DNA. It had different effects on different beings.

>I would have been happy if the entire movie was David and Walter trying to convince the other of their point of view.

what about if david and walter took turns assfucking each other?

Without someone like Ridley you'll have kikes running shabbath and turning the franchise into AvP

It has multiple effects on humans though.
I mean its far from the movie's biggest problem, but it's just always bugged me as a glaring inconsistency someone should have noticed before they started shooting, and definitely before the final edit.
I mean covenant does what it can to standardize it, but the damage is done.

They don't have dicks. That's David's problem.

The only time we see it directly infect a human is Halloway. Only a drop and ingested.

>The only time we see it directly infect a human is Halloway
Feifield fell face first into a puddle of it.

Bet prometheus wasn't even going to be an alien film, they probably inserted the whole alien shit later down the line.

Same thing was happening to both. Holloway was burned before he could change.

I wouldn't say amazing but at the start it's actually pretty intense and immersive. Too bad it gets boring as shit once you get used to everything. Granted now it's probably going for 5 10 bucks so definitely worth it

Kind of the opposite. It was originally much more of a xeno origin story, ridley requested it be more unique so lindeloff just took the script and changed up the characters and every mention of xenos he just replaced with black goo. Prometheus is still a borderline alien remake though just with different monsters. I'm sure they took some of the original script stuff for Covenant

Problem is there should have been 1 or even 2 movies in between Prometheus and Covenant.

The biggest problems with the franchise are repetition and pandering. You can only tell the story of a big bug stalking helpless people through steel corridors so many times before it gets pointless and boring. As others have said, we know what xenomorphs look like. We know what they do. We know they're nowhere near as intelligent as the films would have us believe, and given the technology present, should realistically be far less of a threat. Pic very much related: It's what we would be seeing if the characters actually used the technology available to them to combat the aliens.

Prometheus is good but only good. Compared to Alien, which is masterpiece-tier, good-tier is a disappointment. If Prometheus had been a film made by anyone else that was completely unconnected to Alien, it would have been received better. But, because it was Ridley Scott's grand return to the thing that made him famous, "good" just didn't cut it for most people (and rightly so, I think, although I still get some enjoyment out of the movie.

Covenant was terrible, however. Literally no redeeming qualities. Just ideas that had some potential but which were executed horribly.

Only JAmes Cameron can save it to be honest

The only movie of 2017 that I watched (torrent). Idiot? Yes, but it's still better than being stupid and pretentious like Prometheus.