The Blood of Numenor is all but spent, its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of Men the Ring survives...

The Blood of Numenor is all but spent, its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of Men the Ring survives. I was there, Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago. I was there the day the strength of Men failed...

Other urls found in this thread:

middle-earth.xenite.org/did-sauron-really-believe-the-one-ring-had-been-destroyed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How could it be 3000 years ago if earth is only 2017 years old?

a non-taxation LOTR thread? someone better fix it soon

>Elrond remained in Rivendell until the destruction of both the Ring and Sauron in the War of the Ring.
what an asshole!

that's america not the earth

He fought in countless wars. I'm sure he pretty much gave up on the realm of men.

The time of the Elves was ending

why didn't they took it by force
elrond is a cuck, i bet it was a dwarf he would've done it

wait......if isildur is blood-related to elrond, so is aragorn right.........?

his great great great great great ∞ nephew married his daughter????

Would Elrond have been able to take Isildur in a one-on-one?

without the ring yes

with the ring who knows

It's not clear.
Aragorn could've beat Elrond.

Men are a disease.

yes

Yes. This is cannon. Elrond's brother is Aragorn's direct ancestor.

Yes, in the same way you're related to everyone on earth

No way. Numenoreans are physically superior to Elves.

But Isildur was a numenorean.

a dark elf (who has never seen the light of the two trees)? maybe

a elf fresh off the boat from the undying lands? no fucking way, their power level is off the charts

Elros, Elronds brother, was the first king of Numenor and all of his descendents were strengthened in body and mind. Since Elros and Elrond were both half elven they were given the choice of what race to become, Elros chose being mortal and Elrond chose to remain an Elf.

>choosing to be mortal
Why would anyone do this?

>the virgin Elrond
>the chad Elros

The Numenoreans, WERE, physically superior their bloodlines have faded. The last king of numenor that was really OP was Pharazon. Few men were ever able to marshal an army powerful enough to allow them to challenge Sauron for lordship over Middle Earth.

Elros still lived to be almost 300 and the time had come that men would shape the fate of the world. Elves, because of their long lives, were unwilling to act quickly because of repercussion on their world, where as men were not bound to the Earth and since they didn't live anywhere near as long were more likely to get shit done now.

>MFW WB decided to give each of the 9 wraiths names and fucking backstories
>MFW one of them is fucking Isildur for some fucking reason
I didnt think Shadow of Mordor could fuck the lore any god damn harder than the ghost Celebrimbor helping some random who then forging his own one ring, but here we fucking are

Men have more free will and power to create their own stuff (for good or bad), but were doomed to be never satisfied over their lot on earth

Elves have immortality but were shackled with weariness and melancholy because they lived forever and couldnt die unless they were slain. Imagine the world you knew, all its beauty and bliss slowly slipping away into the fog of time.

assume it's bad historiography and they just lost the records and made shit up, you know the correct interpretation :3

>ywn get to live in a comfy hobbit hole

missster anderson.......

The only one who deserved a backstory was the WitchKing ala Gandalfs story to Pippen, "The one who will lead Sauron's armies, the one they say no living man can kill, The WitchKing Of Angmar... He is the lord of Nazgul and greatest of the 9. You've met him before... He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop..."

But Aragon was superior to Elrond and was less Numenorean than Isildur. Was Aragon just specially gifted?

>Aragon was superior to Elrond

where do you get this idea? just because elrond wears a robe doesnt mean he dont have a suit of mithril lying around

I thought Elrond could never have seen the light of the two trees because he was born after Ungoliant's defilement, right?

If elves are immortal, do they need to eat and poop??

Mortality is a gift in Tolkienverse. It is literally called The Gift of Men. The only reason the Numenorians violated the Ban of the Valar and sailed west to conquer Aman, thinking they could become immortals, is because of the lies and deceptions of Sauron. Before he influenced their king into betrayal, the numenorians were quite happy to abide by the Ban, seeing immortality as a curse.

Poor form.

ANSWER FAGGOT
DO ELVES SHIT

the elves' souls are tied to the world - they can never leave it. That means when the world ends they are fucked.
Men, on the other hand, leave the world behind when they die and go on to something unknown. It's heavily hinted that the unknown is probably a pretty good deal though.
So from the elves' perspectives, they are stuck on a sinking ship.

Aragon was in the vanguard of the battle at the black gate and survived uninjured. I don't know why I think Aragon is superior, you're right Italy probably because he is shown being incredibly successful in combat both as a leader and as a fighter.

So, in a way, it's the ELVES that are mortal, not Men?

yes, and also I'm pretty sure he didnt even set foot in the Undying Lands. He was born in Beleriand which was Middle Earth. He didnt go over until the way after the Ring was destroyed.

AFAIK the only elves who had seen the light of the Trees and were still around in middle earth during LOTR era was Cirdan, Celeborn and his wife Galadriel

until way after*

So do elves fuck and reproduce sexually? How long does it take for an elf grub to reach maturity? Since they live over 9000 years would it take like 250 years to reach adulthood? That's be a pretty fucking bad incentive to have children, putting up with a crying puking shitting baby for 80 years or so.

Nowhere is it said he is superior to Elrond just that he is the greatest of his line since and the most like Elendil.

As far as the most powerful of the men it would be the Edain, the fathers of men. The powerful original race of men who fought with the Elves against Morgoth in the first age. Notable from this bunch is Hurin, and Turin, who was regarded as greater than Orophil, Gil-Gilads incompetent father and took control of Nargaroth from him I believe which led to the downfall of the city.

why wouldnt elves shit? they eat and drink it has to go somewhere

Yeah but to a being that lives 9000 years their perception of time might be very different than a being that only lives 80

To immortal elves I'm sure 80 years feels as short to them as three years feels to us. Anyway, we're not sure how long an Elf takes to reach maturity; it may be just as quick as a human's. How long do the other races take to reach maturity?

Can Elves get fat? Has there ever been a fat Elf?

Would Numenor have beaten the Valar?

well elves are immune to sickness and disease so they probably cant get fat as well

No way. That's completely impossible.

This is a pretty good thread aside from one ore two anons.
Bamp.
Also, anyone else getting Shadow of War? I didn't play the DLC for SoM which I heard was shit but the main game was amazing aside from the QTE ending.
It looks solid if you interpret it within the Peter Jackson Tolkien-verse.

Do Elves lack facial hair or do they just shave a lot? Haldir's five o'clock shadow really bugs me

No. The first was repetitive easy garbage.

huh no? They got a mountain dropped on them before they got in sight of Valinor. That was never going to happen.

If elves remain alive unless they're slain, then why do they need to eat/drink/sleep??
FUCKING ANSWER ME TOLKIEN

I'm gonna wait for it to go on sale, fuck paying full price.
As for SoM, the Bright Lord DLC had an actual boss fight with Sauron, which felt like what they should have done in the main game

the last time the Valar came down to ME to sort shit out they accidentally destroyed an entire continent

since then they have just stayed out of the place

they even nerfed gandalf, saruman and the 3 other wizards before sending them over

>repetitive
It's vidya...
>easy
I cede that, I wish there was difficulty selection.
Regardless, the story was fun and well written (within the PJ Tolkien-verse); you gotta admit the nemesis system was nice.
I feel you. Thinking about doing an amazon prime preorder for the 20% off. I kinda really want the steel book.

Any of you play the MMO or the movie games? All solid.

So cute!

What's this elf maiden's name? I don't remember her from the movies.

it's tasty and they are in communion with nature, sort of like spirits of the forest

i think they don't sleep

they need energy

and whats the use of living forever if you cant eat good food and drink wine

Immortality doesn't mean you don't have to fulfill the basic conditions of life. If you stop eating then you just starve to death, you go to the Halls of Mandos, he slaps you for being a dumb ass bitch that won't eat his veggies and then you reincarnate (assuming you didn't do too much evil).

>were given the choice of what race to become
Jimbo, my mulatto son, it has come time now to choose your race

I played the return of the king game way back whenever it was released. Beat it on ps2 and pc, it was a blast. There was also a gameboy advance action rpg that was okay.

Friendly reminder that Noldors are the only brave tough chads who did everything for the honor of their vow. Telercucks were too scared to fight against Melkor.

It's true. They slay their kin like mad cunts and sperg out over jewels, but damn if they didn't begin the war against Melchior.

kek

i wonder if elrond got bullied in elf kindergarten

>tfw my first name is actually Melchior in real life
feels good

Were your family readers?

Melchior was a wise-guy, Melkor on the other hand was something else.

My father was but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it. Melchior is also the name of one of the three wise men in christian tradition. Not that they're religious either, they just liked the name. I was almost called Ulysses but they felt Melchior was better when they saw me.

>but they felt Melchior was better when they saw me.
were you born with a white beard?

no, and neither did he ,)

God those houses must suffer ridiculous amounts of damp.

>be Melkor
>be as powerful as God
>get cucked by mere elf
How the fuck this faggot was such a problem to Ainur? They were too busy drinking and fucking on their bloody island?

I seriously doubt their growth rate is slowed to compensate for the immortality, since that makes no sense at all. No, elves probably reach maturity and puberty in much the same way and age that humans do. Other elves probably just treat them like children until they're 300 years old or more, since they kind of are mentally at least.

I loved that the cutscenes transitioned into the movie scenes. At the time, it seemed magical. Two Towers was great too.
I always wanted to try the Third Age and Battle for ME games.

Should I take the Shire tour after I get my BA, or go to Japean like the fat weeaboo I am?

?
They didn't nerf them; they just told them not to use their Maiar powers or they'll get spanked for being bad.

In the books it wasn't that dramatic. Isildur didn't actually go to the lava pit and refuse, he just said that he would be keeping it. Also they didn't know how dangerous it was, and more importantly how critical destroying it was to getting rid of Sauron. Even Sauron himself wasn't quite clear on if the Ring had been destroyed when he came back.

It could go either way. I would bet more on Isildur because he had a better reputation as a warrior despite living only a small fraction of Elrond's lifespan.

Text source on Sauron not knowing whether the Ring was destroyed?

>AFAIK the only elves who had seen the light of the Trees and were still around in middle earth during LOTR era was Cirdan, Celeborn and his wife Galadriel

Círdan never saw the Trees; he stayed on the shores of Middle-Earth from the start. Celeborn's history is retconned to hell, but he was a Sinda or Nando when LOTR was written. Also you forgot Glorfindel.

I'm sure there were at least a few other Noldor who were born in Aman at the end of the Third Age; Gildor and Erestor are candidates. Gildor is weird because his name implies that he was the son of Felagund before Tolkien changed the names around.

>the elves' souls are tied to the world - they can never leave it. That means when the world ends they are fucked.

That's unclear; Eru would have to be a real prick to consign them to oblivion spoiler: he is a real prick!. However it is an open question that makes Elves very uncertain about the distant future.

Isildur was a great warrior, but Elrond had super-human reflexes coupled with thousands of years of battlefield experience, he'd slice him to pieces him with one hand in his pocket

Why did Illuvatar intervene then?

The same reason one stops their toddlers from hitting them despite being in no danger.

It's in Gandalf's explanation to Frodo in Chapter 2:

middle-earth.xenite.org/did-sauron-really-believe-the-one-ring-had-been-destroyed/

If you hate it, you can just rationalize that Gandalf was full of shit.

The Valar asked him to. They probably didn't feel like they could morally slaughter the Numenoreans, so they called upon a higher power. God is always right by definition so if He kills you, it's fine!

That makes no sense though if the Valar could have easily handled it themselves

Celeborn was one of the Sindarin elves of Beleriand, he never saw the light of the two trees. Cirdan was also part of this group; the ones who stayed behind with Thingol. Galadriel did see the light. Glorfindel may have, I am not sure, but they are in all likelihood the only two. There's one elf in the books, Gildor, who says he is from the house of Finrod(?). It's not unthinkable for him to have been alive long enough.

Well the Ring obviously took its sweet time trying to get back to Sauron, so it makes sense that neither could be certain the other had survived, at least for a while.

Elves don't sleep as humans do. They do dream, but they're waking dreams.

I doubt it

I wouldn't feel good having a dumbass name like that :^)

>There's one elf in the books, Gildor, who says he is from the house of Finrod(?). It's not unthinkable for him to have been alive long enough.

Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod. Oddly enough, Finarfin was originally Finrod, Finrod Felagund was originally Inglor, and -ion is a suffix that means "son of", so Gildor was saying that he was the son of Felagund. This is probably retconned, though.