This show is so damn good. Why is it so hard to get a discussion going about it on Sup Forums...

This show is so damn good. Why is it so hard to get a discussion going about it on Sup Forums? No End House is fantastic and is doing amazing things with the premise.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
youtube.com/watch?v=t6dW_otkjF4
youtu.be/YugLGMYX030
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because Sup Forums is for capeshit wars and Reddit meme shows like AHS.

The first season was atrocious. Bad acting, poorly executed scares, weird attempts at being surrealist that just came across as cheap/substance-less/silly, muddled and uninspired story based on literal memes, etc. etc.

I guess the make up effects were okay?

Still, as a horrorfag, I dropped it after a couple of episodes.

>poorly executed scares
Maximum bait.
>as a horrorfag
You're not a horrorfag. You're a numale who claims he likes horror because you think it makes you seem like a more interesting person but when something that is actually well constructed horror you're bored out of your mind.

Give me one scary scene/concept from the first 4-5ish episodes and I'll retract the statement.

Because the show I watched had a whole lot of nothing going on besides a bunch of boring exposition about a predictable creepypasta mystery inter-cut with a bunch of trite surrealist bullshit.

The opening scene, this webm, one of the two or three jumpscares of the show was one of the characters from the show appearing behind the girl when Schnieder was talking to her on the bed, there was some good editing during a conversation where they would use subliminal flash frames to one of the characters, the tooth monster was excellent, the hallway scene with the monster slamming it's face against the wall.

Wtf the first season had some of the best child acting I've ever seen.

Dude, the tooth monster alone was, at the very least, incredibly unsettling. My biggest complaint about the first season is that they explained way too much, and the showrunners seem to know that as they’ve said there will be much less in the ways of explanation for the second season.

I watched the first episode and a half on a flight to LA earlier this year, and forgot the name of it. thank you user. The atmosphere was really good, and I liked the idea of a plot based off of a creepy pasta. Gonna start this up again.

First season was ok, I don't remember much about it though other than it was based on that corny as shit creepypasta and had that cool monster made out of teeth. But it was alright.

I'll probably keep watching the 2nd season (only seen the first episode) but you just get the feeling that this is horror made for the same people that like reading creepypasta bullshit.

None of those things left a particularly lasting impression on me, I can't recall a single one of those moments being particularly memorable. However, you were pretty quick to hit me up with a big list so I'll concede that there might be something in there for people to enjoy and just chalk it up this up to personal preference. Different strokes. Maybe "atrocious" was too strong a word, but personally I didn't find anything in the show to be fresh/interesting/scary.

Shame Paul Schneider was phoning it in so hard then. Unless looking bored and disinterested is a part of his character and I didn't make it to the payoff.

I'm willing acknowledge that the makeup effects for the tooth man are pretty good. There are actually a couple of pretty cool practical effects in the episodes I saw.

I just don't think it's being used effectively. All of the horror elements seemed to be either trying to hard to be ambiguous/surreal without any meaning or impact on the story/characters, or a hamfisted attempt at forcing a really obvious metaphor.

Stick to your Paranormal Activities.

Enjoy your brainlet creepypasta show

Channel Kino > AHS

Lol wtf is this garbage?

Sorry bro but the first season was indeed terrible, a single Creepypasta is for a single episode, not an entire season
Stop pretending it's good because it really wasn't, also stop calling anyone who disagrees with you a nu-male because it doesn't make sense and I bet you look like the ultimate one

This new season JUST started and I don't have much faith in it, they are gonna do the same fucking shit they did with the first season and drag the fuck out of the storyline with some bullshit that's terrible and uninteresting
Also it's not scary

I’m curious as to what you’d consider “good” horror if you didn’t enjoy the first season.

I think people give jumpscares less credit than they deserve. It offers immediate release from dramatic buildups (which this show and all creepypastas in general do a lot of). Think of the scenes where his daughter looks into the pitch black doorway. I think without jumpscares those kind of scenes leave people agitated after a while. But I stilled enjoyed them in this show.

I think the weakest part of the first season was the ending though, when they tried to explain away everything that happened. Creepypasta works best when the biggest mysteries are left open-ended, when things are left unsolved because they CAN’T be explained.

shill thread, don't reply

>channel zero is terrible

They're both bad. Channel Zero is cheap garbage made by well-intentioned hacks, and American Horror Story is expensive garbage made by talented faggots. The horror genre doesn't work in the longform storytelling format that is modern television.

MTV Scream is the best example of this. Take a well paced slasher film, and stretch it out to like 10 hours by pumping it full of filler, predictable fodder character deaths (about one per episode), and a boatload of unnecessary exposition. The more that horrific shit is shown on screen, coupled with it being more fleshed out by added exposition found in a television length story, the less scary it becomes. This is a problem that plagues pretty much every current horror show, to the point where most like AHS and The Strain arn't even trying to be scary anymore.

We should be sticking to Twilight Zone/Tales from the Crypt style shows. Short and sweet one off tales that introduce a scary idea, build a creepy story around it, and then leave it for the audience to contemplate before it overstays it's welcome. That's how you do horror on TV. It's been long enough that they've been out of vogue that I think we're ready for a comeback.

it was terrible

what this guy said

I can agree with this

What was that horror show on Showtime that Takkishi Miike, Tobey Cooper and John Landis did episodes of?

Channel Zero would be an INFINITELY better show if they changed the format into 12 episodes adapting a different creepypastas per 24 minute episode, as opposed to stretching a single creepy pasta out into six 45 minute long epsiodes.

It's not like any of those stories are particularly lengthy or deep, they're basically just spooky premises. Small scale, very few locations, you could film them for comparatively nothing. Since the television rights to internet stories are almost certainly dirt cheap, I'm shocked no one has tried this.

Masters of Horror

Nice repeating digits

Ebin, surely people will watch your shitty show now

I'm a huge horror fan, but horror TV shows (outside of feature length television specials) are 99% shit.

I might watch the first few episodes of Channel Zero to test out the waters, but my hopes aren't high. I made it like 3 episodes into AHS before I dropped it and I only got that far because of the sexy maid. Rest of it was absolute trash. I made it a bit further in The Strain but dropped it as soon as the drama started to overshadow the horror elements which was pretty much immediately. Even Supernatural didn't interest me, watched an episode or two and it was clearly tailored to women. Penny Dreadful is pretty bad too, but maybe it's because I watch a lot of British shows with the same aesthetic and Penny Dreadful has too much of an American influence that it feels inauthentic somehow.

Even some of the 'best' horror TV shows are a mixed bag at best. Tales from the Crypt, Masters of Horror, etc. I think it's because horror in general is such a mixed bag and everyone has a different idea of what horror is or should be, and horror historically has been considered a genre 'easy' to profit from resulting in a lot of cheap production and schlock that have been (to its detriment) cemented as necessary tropes to the genre.

The best 'horror' shows I think are shows that aren't directly horror, but thrillers, mystery or speculative fiction shows that contain horror elements. Twilight Zone is one and a bunch of its offshoots (Night Gallery, Outer Limits, Night Visions etc). First season of Twin Peaks had some scary moments. In my experience some of the best horror comes from British mystery shows where the horror elements are used sparingly, like Murder Rooms, the recent And Then There Were None. The old M.R. James adaptations are great as well as the 1989 version of The Woman in Black, though I suppose those are TV movies rather than TV shows.

They're different shows. AHS is more like a horror comedy and Channel Zero takes its self much more seriously

>Channel Zero takes its self much more seriously

Which doesn't exactly make it better, given how corny the source material is.

>a single Creepypasta is for a single episode
This is the only right way. Everything in the creepypasta was in fact in the first episode.

because i have a personal grudge against the creator

I think the show is lame, red pill me so I can level up to hating it.

Just finished watching S02E01, Jesus Christ is it awful. Convoluted plot, inchoherent editing, flat and unlikable characters with zero personaliy and not even a single arc set up in the first episode other than "btw how you doing since THAT THING that happened last year?", generic spoopy visuals that serve no real purpose save for the ones that are incredibly obvious metaphors/foreshadowing, amatur sound design/music is completely sap any and all tension from scenes that are supposed to be scary, and shitty acting.

Lol I actually enjoyed the first season and haven't liked season 2 so far. Don't care about acting since that isn't what I watch a horror for though.

s02 might be some of the best horror tv I’ve seen in a long time.

It sucks that I have to wait until next season for them to adapt “Staircases” one of the best creepypastas I’ve read.

Is that the one about the forest ranger and the staircases in the woods?

link me to THE staircase creepypasta. There seems to be several

Yeah!

>inb4 reddit
google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
It’s multiple parts but really good

Any creepypastas you want them to adapt?
I really want I Dared My Best Friend To Ruin My Life
youtube.com/watch?v=t6dW_otkjF4
Could be fucking dope.

>sometimes there are spooky random stairs in the woods
>other ranger won't talk about it if you ask them but they totally do know about it
>SO SPOOKY

Are you fucking kidding me? This is what passes for scary stories these day? Are you LITERALLY children?

I think it's pretty clear now that it's aliens , I was hoping more for paranormal , but I will keep watching, but the whole alien thing came forward pretty quickly.

I kinda agree with that last bit, its something about British dramas that have horror influence for backround that seems to suit the format of television.

I'd add in Taboo to that list, its spooky. and also pretty good, if your into big Hollywood actors.

Its because you lose the tension of the story due to length. Single episode anthology series work because the story isn't mired in padding to fill 95% of an episode with unrelated shit and 5% of stuff actually happening. Also the plot and atmosphere can be kept consistant over the course of an episode because it's one writer and one director.

Also I kept thinking watching Channel Zero (via torrent, so uninterrupted) "doesn't the frequent ad breaks not kill the mood?". So that as well.

Masters Of Horror. Season 1 is good, season 2 has a few decent episodes but most are shit.

Candle Cove was one of my favorite creepypastas but the first season was only good about half the time. Started off really strong but the longer it went on the worse it got. The whole psychic ghost brother thing was pretty retarded and I think it could have had a better ending.

Looking forward to how this season turns out though

>being a brainlet

It's a real shame that you have to have an ongoing story to stay on TV these days because these concepts don't have the meat to last an entire season.

I'm distracted by all the kids being dressed like 00s hipsters.
Did I miss a thing that said it was set in the 2000s?

I liked the license plates on the cars being squiggles, like in a dream.
The general concept is good, but it feels "filler" paced.

Enlighten me then, why are some stairs in the woods scary?

You find weird shit in the woods all the time, I'm not a child who's never left the suburbs so I'm used to the woods and the countryside.

Grace me with the knowledge of why a super spooky random object in the middle of nowhere is so scary.

did you even read the stories

where can i watch this shit online

That’s just part 1

>They’ll never do an hour long Xmas special adapting this

youtu.be/YugLGMYX030

All the stories read like contextless spooky-for-the-sake-of-spooky shit.

so does candle cove tho

>The general concept is good, but it feels "filler" paced.
Tell me a single scene in either episode that was filler.

this. interested in watching this series but cant find anywhere online thats hosting it

And it was fucking awful, so what does that tell you?

why are you in a thread about a show you hate?

Cause I like horror and since the new season is a different story I was hoping it would be better. Its not looking promising.

where are people watching this shit? you're not actually subscribed to syfy are you?

I watch it on Kodi.

It's called a torrent you fucking mouthbreather.

Welcome to 2003.

>This show is so damn good.

it's just not though. That's why.