/STD/ general

Michael Burnham was right edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU
latimes.com/nation/la-las-vegas-shooting-live-updates-cbs-fires-executive-for-deeply-1506969657-htmlstory.html
trekmovie.com/2017/10/02/jason-isaacs-explains-lorcas-study-and-whats-up-with-landry-from-star-trek-discovery-ep-3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU
I'm glad that CBS bitch got canned for the vegas comments. can't wait for this show to get cancelled too

CONTEXT

>Dude diversity lmao

IS

Who said what in who's ass now?

She unironically was though.

T'Kuvma had a huge hateboner for the Feds, caused, in no small part, because they're peaceniks. He doesn't trust that. Klingons would trust a fellow warrior though, even if they were an adversary. War would have come anyway, better to do it from a place of respect from the Klingons, than to galvanise them against you for being fucking cowards.

Discovery is still kind of just...ok I guess though

>Mary Sue Mary Sues edition.

>Wait, you thought that Federation is some kind of democracy? HA!
Old Trekkies BTFO!
Best line and character so far.
Can't wait what sights he will show to the little black girl.

KANGS

KINGZ

WE

KIDZ

a cbs exec said the people who got shot in vegas had it coming because they were at a country concert so they were probably all repubs and trump voters

Discovery is best Star Trek series so far.
In 3 episodes it has shown and done more than many others in whole season.
>ancient religious space relics of Klingons
>Klingon Empire uniting and starting a war against Federation
>Section 31 mobile crazy space science lab
>extra-dimensional travel
>binary star system in the making
>first battle between Klingons and Federation
>Federation cyborgs

Fucking awesome, I can't wait to see more.

Sauce?

>this pasta again
CBS marketers are working overtime, I see.

If I had to listen to a country music festival from my hotel room I'd probably snap as well tbf

Purple skin aside, am I the only fucking person who thinks the Klingon in pic related doesn't look a million miles away from Klingons we've seen in prior series and movies?

Maybe he's got the weird extended head thing that the others do, and that's weird, but people keep sharing this picture as though it's some huge stain on what Klingons look like, even though in this picture at least, he just looks like a bald purple alien that looks pretty much like a Klingon.

I get the others don't so much, but why is this picture shared as some offending evidence? I don't get why THIS one.

from your post alone i can tell this is yet another example of media taking an insignificant line out of context and blowing it up into something to me morally outraged over

He aint brown, he aint muh klingon

why are you in this thread?

if you put hair on them, they look exactly like Whorf.
user did in some thread before, there was almost no difference.

>wanting a show canceled for the stupid comments made by singular individual

that's like wanting Sup Forums blocked by ISPs because Sup Forums is hate-fueled or the NFL boycotted for 9 players taking a knee during the national anthem while the overall majority stood during it, or america exploded because trump says stupid inflammatory things.

calm down, kiddo.

Honestly, if he had hair he'd just about pass as a TNG era klingon

shut up

I gotta chime in with the other anons. They'd look way better with hair and beards. I don't have a problem with the expanded makeup but the bald heads look uninteresting.

Do people genuinely like this show? It's pretty ass so far, and far from Star Trek.

Were there any species other than Humans and Vulcans who had people of different skin colours?I feel like there might have been some black Bajorans, but honestly I just don't care about his skin colour so long as it's not pink with yellow spots or whatever. Dark skinned is fine for a Klingon for me, Brown, Purple. so long as it doesn't look utterly shit.

If, for you:
>It's too generic, too like other sci-fi shows. It's not Trek
That's exactly what Gene Rodenberry said about The Wrath of Khan. Franchises adapt to the current tv climate, taking inspiration to stay fresh. Trek has done this time and again.
>It was too gory, too horror-oriented this episode
TNG had facemelting, chestburster-parasites, David Cronenberg body-horror devolving monsters, and much more.
>The technology design clashes with TOS. It's too advanced. It's not Trek.
Remember design is not just about technology, but about culture. And a big interstellar war would change the culture in who-knows-what-ways.
This is Star Trek. And it's alright.

So far I find it to be pretty underwhelming, but I'm gonna stick with it for a while to see how it evolves. It's definitely not good ol' Trek.

Oh I agree. That was actually something that disapointed me about the first two episodes. We saw the Klingons of the other houses and they had different outfits and acessories, and that was pretty fucking cool, but none of them had hair.

Honestly, it was a missed opportunity to not have some ridgeless Klingons, or some TNG looking ones there too. They went all in with the references to lore with their dialogue, so why not their look?

But Kirk says that in The Corbomite Maneuver

I'll be honest, the design of the Discovery is growing on me.

If they just angled the nacelles up slightly so they'd have uninterrupted line of sight with eachother It'd be a solid 10/10

Ok but why do they talk like their gargling Rikers legendarily large balls.

The problem I have with the show is that it's not about a crew surviving together despite differences. It's about a single individual and her journey. Means that character interaction lacks variety because pretty much every scene has the same person in it.

The fact that she's unlikeable and badly acted is just the shit frosting on a turd cake.

Still better than Voyager tho

Christ alive the autism in that pic. TOS was FAR from fucking high calibre. Watch it again without the nostalgia goggles and see the wooden acting, the shit sets, the naff scripts.

"You know. 1966? 79 episodes, about 30 good ones?" - Philip J. Fry - Futurama

They weren't wrong there. I adore Star Trek, but it was ropey as hell at times, and it doesn't hold up nearly as well as Trek fans make out.

>Still better than Voyager tho
It's hard to do worse than VOY.

>wartime
>shady federation ship doing illegal experiments
>morally ambiguous captain
>BLACK ALERT

Why don't we like this again?

We don't.

The pic actually refers to the star wars prequels. But the point still stands when it comes to the tech in std for the people too fixated on the fact they have light-up screens to enjoy the show.
I properly watched through all of tos in order last year. It was gruelling. So many forgettable episodes. The one whare they find a planet that has an identical constitution to the US just by chance?

Silly Tylvia

I think you're misunderstanding the picture. It's saying that there are examples where something set in the past (a prequel) could be designed to be very different and perhaps even look more futuristic than the original because of the culture surrounding the technology. He's not commenting on the quality of anything.

Also I think he might be talking about Star Wars.

She's going to die, isn't she? I thought she was the designated Red Shirt of this episode, but there's no way they don't kill her off to try to tug at the heartstrings

Why do JJ/Orci/Kurtzman hate Star Trek so much?

She's Section 31 you doofus.

We do like this.

I've been watching both Orville and this back to back, and they're both shit. I kinda prefer Orville more since it at least make me laugh, but yea. Can someone tell me what's good about this show?

Odds on their tech working but it's actually a time machine and the places they're looking at are hundreds of years in the future and they get stranded in the 26th century so they don't have to tie up a bunch of loose ends?

Post Michael's feet!

I was thinking of this earlier. It would be a great twist.

I feel the same way about the other Klingons you mentioned. They looked way more interesting than the ones on the "tomb ship". But I doubt that we'll see any Klingon (facial) hair in Discovery. So far I'm not even sure if there will be even much diplomacy between the Federation and the Empire. These new Klingons seem pretty unapproachable to me, and STD doesn't feel like it'll revolve much around a peaceful resolution but about the horrors of war and what man is capable in such a situation.

The production values.

It's like with graphics whores in video games. Game is shit but muh god teh grafix! See Crysis for example.

latimes.com/nation/la-las-vegas-shooting-live-updates-cbs-fires-executive-for-deeply-1506969657-htmlstory.html

who said I want it cancelled because of the exec? back to huffpost with you, cretin

Fuck the ridgeless Klingons. The augment story was bad and unnecessary. The TOS Klingons did not need an explanation.

Because it's new. New things are bad.

Wait til Discovery gets cancelled and in 10 years time they launch the New new Star Trek series. Watch how people will talk about STD with more FAR more affection than they did when it aired, just like they did with DS9, just like they did with Enterprise.

Personally, I see Captain Lorca and Saru as being the takeaway characters so far. Micheal is a bit meh so far, Ensign autism seems like she'll grow old fast and we haven't spent enough time with Lieutenant Faggot yet to get a proper reading on him, though he seems...fine.

I wish you faggots didn't spoil that scene for me

mfw Black Alert is sounded

>Laughing at a Seth MacFarlane show

No one talks with affection about ENT and DS9 has always been quite popular you apologist shitter.

I agree, but given that they went all in banging on about Khaless the Unforgettable, the Black Fleet, Sto'Vo'Kor and all that to try and court fan wank, you'd think they'd toss in that particular bone.

Crysis was a good game you retard. Next you're going to pretend Half Life 2 sucks. Get a good PC.

help how do I watch the show

All of the ships look fan-fucking-tastic. I understand people having shit taste; I just don't understand why 90% of the them are located and shitpost in STD generals.

>Wait til Discovery gets cancelled
I can't wait to hear about how "trekkies don't have to be STD's audience, trekkies are over".

DS9 wasn't anywhere near as popular when it aired as it was afterwards, and yes, people do talk about ENT with some degree of affection. People like Archer, Trip, Reed, Shran etc. There are a few decent episodes here or there.

Perhaps you weren't on the internet when ENT aired, but lord almighty was the backlash huge. People calmed down and now they're seen as being not as bad as people made out.

>No one talks with affection about ENT and DS9 has always been quite popular

We literally had a thread about ENT LAST FUCKING NIGHT and DS9 was BY FAR the most divisive Trek until last week.
Usenet forums in the 90s were a fucking shitstorm.
>Bawww, it's a Star Trek show where they stay in one place, how can that be good?!

It's shit. And the captain has an eye problem so every set has to be dark. That's the worst excuse ever.

CGI programmer: What kind of saucer section do you want?
STD: Just fuck my shit up, senpai.

>HL2
>good
lel, only Blue Shit is worse than that turd.

And I easily ran Crysis back in the day. The game just sucks shit.

best i got

the dispute over quality regarding DS9 and ENT had nothing to do with politics, shitty streaming services required to watch it, and tons and tons of patch work and bungling being reported before the show aired with people leaving the show left and right.
gtfo faggot

Because it's not Star Trek

>dat overdesigned garbage warp effect

They actually give a logical explaination for the saucer section.

The inner ring is for living quarters and the galley, outer ring is for experiments, and is separate so if anything goes wrong, they can lock it down without compromising the rest of the ship.

Stay mad.

It won't feel like proper star trek for me until we get some classic trek schlock.
I want them to go to the cowboy planet where everyone's a cowboy and they have to dress like cowboys to blend in.
I want Saru to be all 'What does it mean, "can house"? Are felines particularly revered in this culture?' And Lorca to get into it and be all 'Looks like we got ourselves a showdown at high noon, partners'.
I want them to get trapped in Cadet Tilly's dreams which takes the form of a Jane Austen novel and they have to remember who they are and wake her up before the transdimensional alien masquerading as Mr. Bennett lawnmower-mans into real life and takes over the ship.
That's the star trek I remember.

defeat klingons first, Exploration and fun stuff after.

>DS9 wasn't anywhere near as popular when it aired

It was popular enough for seven seasons. Unlike shitty Enterprise.

>Perhaps you weren't on the internet when ENT aired

I bashed it then. I bash it now.

>People like Archer

Star Trek was a mistake.

stay sjw

that suit and the ship were amazingly done.
It was also very subtle as Micheal was admiring Klingon art, because she was unaware it was Klingon.

trekmovie.com/2017/10/02/jason-isaacs-explains-lorcas-study-and-whats-up-with-landry-from-star-trek-discovery-ep-3/

>I think in this tradition of Star Trek captains and these alpha males who rise to the top, he’s got a taste for the good life and he’s got an eye for his female officers. I don’t know that that’s going to work with Burnham very well, frankly. She doesn’t look like she’s up for that kind of thing, but him and Landry certainly have a relationship that goes beyond, I would think, work. But that’s how I played my scenes with all the women on board, whether or not the writers were on board with that. By the way, that’s my tribute to Shatner. I always thought, as much as the original series was born out of the civil rights struggle and the birth of feminism, some of that was [infused with a feeling of] James Bond. It was clear Captain Kirk had his way with any member of the micro-skirted crew members he wanted, so that was my subtle tribute to him. I’m playing that, even if it’s inside my head. (Laughs.)

Most of, in fact almost all of DS9's popularity piggybacked on TNG.
It wasn't until around season 4, when the Dominion War kicked into high gear and we got PEW PEW SPACE BATTLES that DS9 came into its own

based

>muh sjw boogeyman
W E W
E
W

did i recognize a southern twang in his voice?

>complaining about sjw and star trek
the creator of the series literally started making it because he wanted to imagine a utopia without racism and hate

He was just a great choice. He owns every scene he's in. He projects charisma and a bit of menace perfectly. He seems both sinister and genuinely, childishly excited by the thought of this new tech. He's on his way to becoming a classic captain if he keeps up what we saw this episode.

I just dont like how everything looks so modern and high tech even though it's supposed to be a prequel. Makes no sense.

I certainly did. Probably attended Charles Tucker III high school.

See Also, the set design on TOS is nothing to get nostalgic about. Of all the concerns about this show, that seems like the least important.

D-do you think he fucked a Vulcan in tribute?

According to he probably fucked the andriod, too.

Senpai I've seen ENT, I know that it's possible to make it look older than TOS while still using modern technology to create the set. They just didn't bother at all. It doesn't help that there are countless cyborgs walking around a century before Data and Seven of Nine, but I mean that fucking perfect cast of a hologram shits on the experimental DS9 holographic communication technology. They just don't give a fuck.

This show is terrible. Cut the spam.

roddenberry's utopia is past racism and religion and hate.

star trek discovery is made by hateful people mired in identity politics and the show's staff have openly said the klingons represent trump supporters.

>Senpai I've seen ENT, I know that it's possible to make it look older than TOS while still using modern technology to create the set.

There's a reason ENT failed, and being outdated visually was one of them.

Lorca's basically Gul Dukat.

I bet he's fucked Kira's grandmother at some point.

That's literally what an Alcubierre drive would look like, pleb.

I don't much care for STD but this is the most autistic of takes on it. It was made in the 60's to be what the future was going to look like. They didn't know we'd easily surpass that technology and aesthetic within half a century. I admire what Enterprise did by going half way and sticking somewhat to the buttons and knobs, but if smartphones and tablets have taught us anything, it's that having buttons, outside of maybe one or two is a fucking dinosaurs way of looking at future tech. The 60's aesthetic wasn't intrinsic to the setting, so get the fuck over it.