What made this scene the best in the whole LOTR trilogy?

What made this scene the best in the whole LOTR trilogy?
youtube.com/watch?v=i6LGJ7evrAg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0&
youtube.com/watch?v=aJnw7uCaxhc
youtube.com/watch?v=RH4dToXBnh0
youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9okyMyFD4
youtu.be/EmTz7EAYLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2fwe0rnHak
youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=51oEk21ax5A
youtu.be/NLhypaRifcE?t=3m45s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The music

The best scene is all 3 movies
youtube.com/watch?v=k6C8SX0mWP0&

Can't be, that scene wasn't in the books.

youtube.com/watch?v=aJnw7uCaxhc

what were those niggas doing hanging out on top of a mountain all day lmao how much does that job pay i wonder

This scene had THE best music in the franchise:
youtube.com/watch?v=RH4dToXBnh0
I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Underrated scene
youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9okyMyFD4

That ain't ride of the rohirrim nigga

youtu.be/EmTz7EAYLrs

>eating a whole tomato plain
gross

youtube.com/watch?v=Y2fwe0rnHak
cmon now
youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=51oEk21ax5A

Will we ever have anything like this again brehs
Is anything planned for the near future something we can hope will reach LOTR status

My niggas

Sorry lad, we'll never have this experience again

nah this was after he ate the dry chicken/turkey leg he wanted some juices also its symbolic of him squashing after the big fall

It would've been her...

The only way another LOTR experience will happen again in theaters is if someone writes something on the caliber of LOTR again. How long do you think it will take for this to happen?

Wrong.

Fatty detected

Why is it so unique in that regard
Why is no other film series making me cry like a bitch at so many different points throughout three different films
Why won't be experience something like this again?

considering the current state of the industry probably never

>I made a promise Mr. Frodo, a promise. Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to, I don't mean to

because it would be the studio making the film rather than a filmmaker developing his own unique treatment and pitch and then looking for financing

>have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver

Once every 20 or so years there is a great epic movie. one will come along eventually. Peter Jackson literally used up all of his talent to make these movies though so youd need a director willing to make that sacrifice

because fulfilled moviegoers doesnt pay bills. money does.
and making cashgrab adaptations cut into 3 separate movies makes serious money

The source material was groundbreaking, but the adaptations were made when the themes and aspects in them had already been tried before. It's basically the hero's journey, yes Tolkien was the first but by the time the films came around it wasn't anything new.

So what I'm asking is why despite this, no one has even come close to the magic captured in LOTR. Is it because nowadays no one would risk their money on something like it, complete with crazy amount of pre-production time? Is it because the people involved in their craft have completely lost their passion and anything of this magnitude would have to be some sort of assembly line shit like the MCU?

Breaking of the Fellowship

Was the confrontation between Galadriel and Sauron done well, Sup Forums?
youtu.be/NLhypaRifcE?t=3m45s

Everything about these films is just perfect.

Everyone working on the film was passionate about it. From the actors to the costume designers to the production team, every single person working on LotR wanted to make it the best film they'd ever made.

>God-tier music
>Crisp editing that plays to the music perfectly
>Gorgeous scenery that reinforces the vastness of the world (most movies take place on like 3 sets and feel like it)
>Exciting story progression

But why don't studios trust their filmmakers anymore

They trusted Jackson with LOTR and they were the most successful films of their time both commercially and critically

"Moria…you fear to go into those mines. The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep, you know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm"

>the hero's journey was invented by Tolkien

Surprisingly it makes sense lorewise, Sauron is a bitch when confronted by elvish princesses

Everything other than that is shit. The acting is maybe alright.

Maybe Villeneuve's Dune.

I am of the opinion that the portrayal of the Balrog was perfect. Even better than the books, having the Balrog's weapons be literally made out of flame instead of enchanted by it was inspired.

>>Gorgeous scenery that reinforces the vastness of the world (most movies take place on like 3 sets and feel like it)
That's something I never considered about the movies. You really get the sense that Middle Earth is fucking massive, with how long it takes people to move around. Not like a certain other popular high fantasy series which shall not be mentioned where people practically teleport from one end of a continent to another in a day.

You know, I've read all of the books and I have no idea if there 's even such thing as money in Middle Earth.

Kind of makes pic related even more egregious, come to think of it

perhaps part of it is that Jackson was pitching his version in the 90's where there were more "independent" films, filmmakers, and film studios.

This thread has inspired me to spend my day off tomorrow watching the extended editions

>massive passion project from nearly top to bottom with (by today's standards at least) minimal studio interference
never

Yeah my mistake, I worded it like shit

What I mean was that Tolkien was the first in many regards, but LOTR is basically the hero's journey. So with so many books and legends and mythology in our disposal, some reaching Tolkien caliber, why have we not seen something akin to the LOTR films?

>filmed pre 9/11
>came out christmas following 9/11
it was a good time for a fantasy universe i guess

>cutting it off at the best part

wtf

How did the people get up so high on the mountains? Also how did they survive up there? What did they eat or do? Do they switch with others? Again, how do they get up and and down though?

I personally liked it how they gave the sense that Galadriel and Sauron were expending tremendous power and magic during the fight, but didn't resort to them shooting fireballs at each other to convey that. Also the curse
>You have no power here, servant of Morgoth!
>You are nameless!
>Faceless!
>Formless!
>Go back to the void, from whence you came!
Felt really "authentic," if that's the right word, like a curse that Tolkien would have his characters say.

>How did the people get up so high on the mountains?
They climb

>Also how did they survive up there?
>What did they eat or do?
Shipments of food.

>Do they switch with others?
Obviously

>Again, how do they get up and and down though?
They climb

Game of Thrones COULD have been the next LOTR-experience.

I think there's many scenes the movies handled better than the books

Shelob's lair, Helm's Deep, Boromir's death

I wish the movies had more of the songs

Viggo Mortensen, his best scene.

>Helm's Deep
Having the elves show up cheapened the message that their time on Middle Earth was over and that men were on their own.

They are giving massive projects to independent filmmakers, like Jurassic World

The problem is studios throw away all possible character brought to the table by the director, opting for assembly line films. By now they should be able to tell when a director has got a good hold of a project, with his own creative viewpoint.

there is a difference in a studio having a property and then hiring a smaller, independent filmmaker to make the film, and an independent filmmaker developing the movie and then asking for financing and distribution.

Yeah but all the CGI surrounding it all is awful, that Sauron fractal bullshit is awful

Just imagine that confrontation but with the care and passion of Gandalf versus the Balrog.

Maybe the Wheel of Time for the first few books before Fast Travel comes around. Eye of the World is basically Fellowship of the Ring for how it hits certain plot beats, nevermind the rural setup stuff. It's also the time in the books when everything is big and exciting to the main cast; that's not something you really get in Game of Thrones because everyone is a haughty noble who never tries to act impressed at anything.

GoT was good for a few seasons (never Tolkien tier because muh realism and GRRM just not being in the same league creativity/intellect-wise) but yeah as soon as they ran out of book material it became glaringly obvious what hacks D+D are. Inasmuch as it wasn't beforehand, since the things they came up with were always pulpy and slightly off-tone at best. Still I held out hope that they understood the basics of storytelling at least. Nope.

It was close. The adaptation just came too early. The show is the main reason that Martin will never finish the books. If the show had been delayed by 5 more year....

The song Aragorn sings in tribute to Boromir is sad as shit. Maybe something could have been done with that in the films, akin to Pippin singing to Denethor

Emotionless tripe

So is it that studios or companies no longer trust independent filmmakers enough to fund their projects?

It seems like the passion of independent filmmakers + the financial aid of big studios is a perfect marriage and movies like LOTR show us that but nowadays we are completely devoid of it

Yeah but they wanted to show how fucking hype elves were even if they weren't Legolas. And that Aragorn had high-level connections all over the place. I get it

The show dropped so hard when they ran out of book material.

>Oberyn said we don't hurt little girls and that he loves his family
>Let's honor his memory by murdering a little girl and then killing his beloved older brother and nephew

>Grrr I'm Arya Stark and I love my family
>I'm going to spend a whole season threatening to murder my family

>I'm Jaime Lannister and I'm triggered by insane monarchs and wildfire
>Hey my sister has gone crazy and burned innocents with wildfire, let's stick with her

>I'm Danaerys Targaryen and I have not come to burn or kill, I'm here to end the system
>Ok, time to burn and kill and restore the old monarchy!

I've considered reading that series but I don't know if I should wait for the films and then read it

I know for a fact that my LOTR experience was made better by the fact that I saw the films before reading the books

What would be the most DABID thing that Dabid could do to LOTR?

>their time on Middle Earth was over and that men were on their own.
A relatively small number of elves showed up. Those elves were marching into a suicidal situation where they were outnumbered 10 to 1. They were all expecting to die unless they were retarded. The entire point is that they're going to die alongside Aragorn fighting for Middle Earth rather than just abandon the place. The end is the same (the time of the elves is over), but they're choosing to go down fighting instead of running.

I think it was a good move, it added a bit more fantasy to an otherwise bleak act, plus that elf commander's death (can't recall the name) was pretty sweet

2bh a suicide mission for an elf isn't that big of a deal because they all wind back up in Valinor anyway

Aragorn actually reciprocating Eowyn's affections and other such love triangle bullshit.

>SHIRTLESS WITCH KING, DABID

Jaime and Cersei (their individual character progression and how their relationship evolves) are some of the most satisfying storylines in the series, even if AFFC gets a bad rap for not having the meme characters in it. That's the thing I'm most bummed about the show shitting all over

>when he burns her letter
Storykino

The LotR movies succeed because there's no cynicism, the people making them believed in the highfalutin nature of the characters and all the weird fantasy shit they say. Compare to GoT where they all say fuck and then fart.

Huh. I didn't consider that at all. Is that actually true? I haven't read the books (and I mean all of them, LOTR+Silmarillion+Hobbit) in a long time, but I was under the impression that elves are immortal when it comes to aging/disease, but they can absolutely be permakilled in battle. There was a line in the Hobbit about thousands of elves who would have lived happily for eternity having their lives cut short at the Battle of Five Armies.

Yeah probably this. Also slutty elves and gay Hobbits. Can you imagine

You go to the Halls of Mandos. But people can still come visit you and shit becau its physically located in Valinor

GoT in seasons 1-4 is a satisfying and interesting story. It's high fantasy but mixes it with realism in a great way. Then season 5 starts, they run out of book material, and it's just "hurr durr it's fantasy but we're all edgy".

>and just what WAS Aragorn's tax policy?

>slutty elves
I have always imagined elves as an incredibly effeminate race. Slutty elves are canon in every universe that includes elves as far as I'm concerned. The men are just so effeminate. You think the women aren't constantly trying to bang manly humans?

They get sent to the Halls of Mandos which is probably a five star resort in Valinor, only thing is they can't leave. Then they wait for the world to end and for shit to reset

The funniest thing about the tax policy line is that Aragorn spent literally decades studying and learning from rulers. He's better equipped to be king than literally any of Martin's characters. Try to imagine Dany's tax policy.

Middle Earth elves die if you rape them, don't they?

Do you think they get pension ? I can't imagine being on top a fucking mountain for half your life then you retire with fuck all money

They're probably ordered there by the king as they are soldiers presumably, but I imagine they get a nice payout after. It'd be kind of comfy honestly, they probably have a little barracks with a few soldiers who shoot the shit all day with no worries, only having to do something once in a few years if that.

Your country has no mountain divisions? fuck off denmark

The most nonsense thing is they can die of a broken heart but I don't think they'd die just because of rape

They'd probably die from physical trauma caused by rape like humans or from a broken heart cause by rape (kek) but not from rape itself

Archetypal femininity is not slutty. Femininity is selective. That's why all normal people are programmed to have scorn for sluts, they are sabotaging the species by not being sexually selective. It's also why women hate whores despite arguably having whorish attitudes in selecting partners (key word: selecting) and why rape is seen as a fate worse than death.

So no, elf women are pure and noble in an archetypal universe like Tolkien's user

Well there are canonically half-elves in LOTR and goblins are basically orc-elf and orc-human rape babies.

Can you enslave an elf?

>manning a beacon high up in a mountain
>snow blocks trail leading up
>starve

They rotate out I bet, like "oh, looks like you're on mountain duty for the next year Bob, best get your hiking boots on".

Elven males have tiny penises. An unfortunate side effect of being so goddamn feminine.

Yes that's how orcs were created, Melkor captured some elves just as they appeared into the world and corrupted them into orcs then bred them for more orcs.

Yes you can. Canonically Melkor enslaved a lot of elves and twisted them to make orcs. It's pretty fucking dark.

Well, they do seem to not reproduce that often, and like half the time do so with humans. They make up for it with the whole not dying thing.

the chord change

Would you rather
>Immortality
Or
>Big penis