Jesus this movie was dogshit

Jesus this movie was dogshit.

The direction, the acting, the soundtrack, the characters. It's all a hot mess. Costner looks hopelessly lost and confused from start to finish.

I regret wasting two hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2FekMaTQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Neat. Saw this movie recently and... Yeah I kind of agree. Costner looked out of it the while whole time and just spoke in a weird tone. Connery should have been the lead.

Some of the sets were cool, though the shootout at the bridge was pretty corny.

Connery won an Oscar for it btw.

DePalma's always been overrated. His movies don't age well (see also: Scarface and that horrible synthesizer soundtrack).

>the soundtrack
Dont you even dare
youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2FekMaTQc

Yeah. Just saw pic related and found it kind of boring in terms of plot. Though I did enjoy some of the old technology they used back in the day to analyze photos and the whole early 80s Philadelphia setting.

Whoops.

It's Morricone though.

biggest plebs ITT

I'm not saying the music itself was bad, but rather that virtually every single scene is completely miss-scored. In a big, distracting way.

I'm over 30 - I remember the 80s, and there's a distinct difference between bad and corny.

Waited 30 years to hear someone agree with me. Thanks op.

I'd never heard of this movie, growing up. But I'm glad you felt that way at the time.

b-but the stairs scene

with the pram
is good no?
also de niro was a pretty good capone

>synthesizer soundtrack
>hasn't aged well
just how out of touch are you?

What did De Palma mean by this?

I can agree to that, some directors and editors are great with selecting and placing music, some just dont have a knack for it.

I still like the movie though.

this is the only movie where I thought it was a 9/10 when I was 15 and now that im 25 think its 6/10 mediocrity

Its embaracing but when i was in High school I thought this shit was an epic crime drama like Goodfellas.

>Shend one of them to tha morgue
FUCK YEAH
>he died like a pig.. DID HE SOUND LIKE THAT
EPIC
>I want his family DEAD his wife DEAD his house... burned to the ground
COLD BLOODED

damn man its awful jus thinking about how much I loved this movie and how over dramatic and sloppy it is now

Scarface, while every teen's favorite "violent gangster movie", is actually an extremely fleshed out epic and striking portrait of the romanticism of self destruction
Blow Out is bad. I was so utterly disappointed

So now I don't know what to do. Scarface was my first DePalma, and, thinking it was a meme, I was blown away. The I watch Blow Out with high expectations as its supposed to him at the top of his game, its Antonioni's spiritual successor. But it such an extreme lack of tension or mystery. One of the weakest conspiracies I've seen in an acclaimed conspiracy movie. I liked the aesthetic, but thats about it. And the ending sucked, if the film doesn't respect itself, I, who was already on the fence, won't either. The ending with the fireworks almost had me on board and feeling something finally and then it spoiled everything.

I digress; where do I go next with DePalma? It seems Carrie is worth watching. I'll probably check out Carlito's Way and Body Double. Anything else/any advice?

It happens mang. Pic related.

Maybe Morricone has something to do with it...

De Niro gets no screentime. He seemed like he would've been a great Capone, but we'll never fucking know. He could've comfortably shot all his scenes in a single weekend.

You made up your mind so why don't you just quit. Don't come back here to whine more.

>if film doesn't respect itself, I, who was already on the fence, won't either.
Possibly the most pretentious thing I've seen on this godforsaken board. Fuck off

What? I didn't come to whine, I came to see which of DePalma's films I'll find worthwhile if those are my opinions
You fuck off. What's pretentious about it? The ending shits on any weight the film could have, which was very little throughout the whole thing. At least try explaining why you disagree faggot. Ask me whatever you want as well, I'm not talking out my ass, these are my legitimate opinions.

body double is an 80's homage to Hitchcock
Carrie is a stone cold classic and carlito's way is patrician Pacino

You should watch Mission to Mars, One of DePalmas weakest, with a score by Morricone. Pretty much everything you've criticized DePalma for is there tenfold.

Maybe your brain will implode.

What is wrong with the ending and explain how it indicates it a lack of self respect
p.s. Fuck off

>Carlito's Way

I didn't even know that was the same directior desu. It's decent; worth one watch. Very much just a weaker Scarface, though.

He uses her scream for the film? The film builds him up as this respectable guy; he falls for her even though she's a hooker, he fights the corruption. And then he does that all so we can have and ending shot with him not being able to handle hearing the scream. So forced and not emotional at all. Maybe the self respect thing was bullshit, but it certainly seems like everything the film was trying to do was just ignored so the "gut punch' ending could be there.

And to elaborate further on the lack of tensions; I almost said Jack risked his life to fight corruption. But nothing was ever at stake. So much of the movie is Jack just confirming what he and the audience already knows. Which could be fine if he's racing against some clock, or someone coming after him. But besides the erasing of the tapes, no one comes after him. Every step of the way is so predictable and tensionless. Perhaps some sense of anxiety or overwhelmed-ness could be present because there's some political conspiracy going on. But no, it was entirely spelled out, so there was no mystery or sense of fear, no way to be in Jack's shoes

>Maybe the self respect thing was bullshit
I win

What's wrong with him using the scream if no one knows it's real. He was struggling also to find a proper scream so it matched up, Pleb. Also the tension is in catching your own government out on corruption, you utter dotard

Yeah that's what I've heard, I liked so much of what I saw in Scarface that I'm definitely not done trying to find other quality DePalma.
Kek maybe so. Another thing I must criticize DePalma for; the camera work. Now, most of the time, his camera floats around so dreamily. The scenes feel so grand and smooth, he's fantastic. But every now and then, especially in Blow Out, he throws in this unfitting "cinematic" shot that totally pulls you out. It serves no purpose in pulling you into the film or scene, but instead tries to be impressive and just reminds you you're watching a movie. Now, this will get me some shit, but I believe Richard Brody came to a similar conclusion on a piece he wrote called "the DePalma dilemma" or something. Call him a meme or contrarian, you're probably right, but he has some well written and informed pieces, and if my explanations aren't doing it for you, he could probably articulate it much better
>it certainly seems like everything the film was trying to do was just ignored so the "gut punch' ending could be there
I said maybe. Because surely a director wouldn't disrespect his own film right? But it was either that or incredibly sloppy and juvenile filmmaking that led to that ending

It doesn't matter what other people know. He is painted as a guy that cares and fights for morals. Taking advantage of the death of someone he cared about for a movie does not fit this at all. And how does catching your government lead to tension? Its not like we didn't know what would happen, or the discovery on Jack's part put him in any danger. No suspense or tension whatsoever because everything was so blatantly shown to the viewer. You can disagree and like the movie, but please, I'm not a pleb for thinking differently

BdP is garbage anyway

>Carlito's Way
Hey remember me? Benny Blanco from the Bronx?
Seeing Sean Penn playing a crooked jew lawyer is a lot of fun.
I saw the untouchables when I came out and I really liked it. When I watched it again as an adult, I was surprised at amount of slapstick comedy in a crime drama.

Never saw it but back when I was a lifeguard this old dude would come to swim and quote lines from this movie and call me a fucking WOP.

yeah Sean Penn steals the show, Pahino looks TINY in this movie, i think that long coat was a bad fashion choice

>crime drama
I haven't seen The Untouchables in like ten years but it always struck me as being a sort of capeshit-style gangster film that was intentionally bombastic, so the humor fit for me

Look at that, the plebs stopped responding. When will people learn that your taste in movies defines how pleb you are much less than your ability to articulate why you hold that opinion? Of course some stuff is on the objective side of bad, but for the most part, if you can explain your taste, no one can say a thing. But no one wants to watch a film to think, and certainly anyone that does is considered pretentious. The true mark of a pleb is writing someone off simply for holding a different opinion. Disagree and discuss, but please refrain from showing off your ignorance so proudly

You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.

If your interested in some genuine "Untouchables" kino, check out the television series starring Robert Stack. Not only does Stack give a better performance than Costner he also tagged teamed Elizabeth Taylor with JFK at the White House

>he also tagged teamed Elizabeth Taylor with JFK at the White House
they show this in the TV series?