The /orville/ general

Alara Again Edition

previous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU
youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think we can all agree that Orville is the supreme choice and those that Like STD also like Hilldawg Clinton

more like /ourville.

friends, i may have shitpost one too many times in all the /std/ and /trek/ threads..

Why are people so insecure about Orville that they have to spread std over in this thread.

Desecrating my trips

KYS

A true Arborist knows how to plant seeds of doubt and rage in the /std/ threads and then return home to the comfy /orville/ general while waiting for those seeds to blossom and bloom.

What the fuck happened to our timeline?

>Donald fucking Trump is President
>Seth Macfarlane comedy is actually great
>Star Trek is fucking awful

So what are y'alls thoughts on this show? I think it's kinda cute but totally hamfisted with some kinda weak performances turned in. Bortus, Alara and the robot turn in the best performances with Macfarlane just a bit behind. The ex-wife is pretty mediocre and the two ship pilots (the drunk and the black guy) don't seem to be acting at all but the drunk is better by a hair.

The moral issues posed have been okay but not properly explored. Scrubs is the pinnacle for me of a comedy show dealing with some complex problems.

I've only ever seen a single episode of The Next Generation and the new Abrams movies so I might not get some of the humor like real Trekkies but based on my extensive one episode watch of TNG the hamfistedness of the dilemmas and solutions seems accurate.

TL;DR Cute, clumsy and sometimes funny. I'll keep watching it because I need stuff to watch but I do hope they kick it up a notch quality wise.

>AN ENTIRE EPISODE

>The Orville fandom isn't based on disliking ST--

>i've only seen a single etc.
I've spotted the problem.
About the 'moral' issues like all good trek it doesn't exactly take a position it just presents the conundrum and you can decide for yourself.

Do you think the lads in alternate universe Sup Forums are ever jealous of us?

Have to disagree with you on the performances. I think Macfarlane is the weakest. He doesn't exude quiet confidence and leadership like a captain should (inb4 he's not supposed to be a great captain), while the ex-wife is actually a good actress even if her character is a cunt.

Scrubs does a job dealing with moral issues, but Sci Fi is very different to a regular sitcom so it's hard to compare. I think the balance has been off between the comedy and the regular show, and that's partially because the comedy is hit and miss with mostly misses, but each episode is better than the last so I think he's getting the hang of it.

Are you jealous of the alternative you who gets to fuck Alara's powerfully tight asshole every night?

I'd say yes.

They've probably had trek on for years, 9/11 never happened, Enterprise had 7seasons, and the post voyager show started next, alt-Sup Forums has had star trek continually running for 30+ years. Seth submitted an idea for a more light hearted trek around 2014, and Orville is currently on its 3rd season.
tldr: no their not jealous of us, they laugh at us

Yes yes but what about all the memes in our timeline?

Check and mate.

Depends on our point of divergence. Was it the election? 9/11, Kennedy getting shot? Hitler losing ww2?

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU

Is Alara a virgin?

100%

Definitely will become a plot point when she gets a new love interest.

Yeah she's had boyfriends but they were short-lived relationships because she couldn't figure out how to avoid chopping their cocks off with her sphincter.

she pure

9/11

Kennedy is a big point, but I'd put money on 9/11. That's when shit started going off the rails, just accelerated quite a bit in the last 5.

It's like a ball of shit rolling down a hill, as it picks up more shit it goes faster and gets more shit.

comfy as fuck

IDK user the 90's was wrapping up anyway, something would have brought it to an end, even if it wasnt as dramatic as 9/11

we would still have 08,, we would still have Obama coming to power and we would still have Isis/ Arab spring although our involvement might be different.

Rest in Peace Malarky

MacFarlane is not nearly as well trained of a actor as Patrick Stewart, its hard to pin a nail on his character right now - he seems just like the generic 'nice guy positive protagonist'.

I think we need to wait for him to have a episode centered directly on him ( Besides the pilot ) and to pose a moral question to his character so that we can see where he stands.

Guarnere died a few years back. I think he was the last one left.

Currahee ;_(

yes

Unbreakable hymen.

Malarky was the last one left

>I've spotted the problem.

That's fair. I am gonna keep watching it but I think I'll only get through a few a week.

I felt like in the Bortus' baby episode for example they did take a clear side on who was right they just didn't win in the end which I'll admit was surprising but I don't think the other side really would have anyone support them.

I can get people feeling that way about MacFarlane but I've always liked him than I've liked most of his work. I think he's smarter and wittier than a lot of what he's produced and I see that a lot in this character.

The ex-wife has moments where I like her more such as her conversation with Alara about the captain on that hyper-religious ship. I think she has kinda weak comedy chops though some of that I think is attributable to editing which I've found really janky in this show so far.

Also, I hope the captain and Alara get together based on that conversation or that they at least have her crush on him.

>le smug "I always wanted to be Captain Kirk and now I fucking am" face

It's not just about how he reacts to certain situations, it's about how he fits in the Captain's chair. If Picard or Kirk were my captain, I would feel supremely confident that we were doing the right thing, and that we'd get through whatever scrape we're in. With Janeway I'd be asking for quarters closer to the escape pods. With Macfarlane I just don't know, I don't really respect his character as a leader.

I've always thought he should helm a Trek show, for 7-8 years now. I know Family Guy is mostly shit but I trust Macfarlane more than that. But this was before he started appearing in his own films.

He's gotten better since then, but he's still lacking nuance and respectfulness.

I get what you mean about the ex-wife being less comedic, but it's possible that that's entirely why I like her. We might be looking for different things, I like the episodes and view the comedy as a normie grabber. I suppose it's worked since you've never seen Trek before. Welcome to the club.

She has a bigger mouth than Daisy

>norm mcdonald is in this

How based can one show be

That's what I meant, sorry if I was unclear.

>tfw the WWII generation is almost gone

I'm thinking about the writers strike and the change in direction of enterprise cause of 9/11, I honestly don't really care about any of the thing your talking about.

Thanks for making me sad now.

Alara fighht scene directed by Zach Snyder fucking when?

My problem with it so far is that if it wants to be a show that's taken seriously for it's handling of complex moral issues then the writing game needs to be stepped up about 10 fold because if they/re really trying to examine anything or ask deep probing questions they're doing an embarrassingly bad job.

If they want it to be a comedy then they need to up the comedy a few clicks and not do jokes that could be done in any generic sitcom. There's tons of potential humor in parodying Trek and Sci-Fi but instead they opt for "I loosened it for you" when Alara knocks down a door. I was waiting for the canned laughter when that happened and I think he's made the 'Open this jar of pickles for me' joke not once but twice.

If they want it to be both they need to make the flow better and increase the quality of each by a bit. As it stands now it's just a bit awkward.

I also would say that despite not being a Trekkie I'm far from a 'normie' when it comes to Sci-Fi.

He's awkward, we know that much, which is a good way to go, makes his lame 'jokes' come off better when its him being a sperg, and everyone just looks at him like he's being an idiot.

>the writing game needs to be stepped up about 10 fold

I agree, though I think tenfold is a bit harsh. But the thing is, comedy doesn't usually improve that much. People think of comedy a certain way, it's one of the hardest things in the world to improve your comedy, and Seth has been making comedy for so many years that it's probably beyond impossible for him.

But to improve the depth of your storylines, well that you can do with practice. TNG started out with some flop episodes, but it got where it was going eventually once the writers figured their shit out.

youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0

Anytime.

The thing with trek shows or really ensemble shows is you figure out which characters play off each other the best, which situations your characters are most entertaining in etc. then you can start writing to fit your cast.

Yeah basically. You have to wait to see how they actually play out on-screen before you can decide what would be good to put them through. Every Trek show goes through 2 seasons of mediocrity before getting good except for TOS.

The Orville will be much the same, perhaps even moreso because of its rare blend of genres.

Agreed entirely on figuring out the best pairings. I plan on continuing to watch the show but I hope they're able to figure it out fast because a new comedy would be great to have in the line up. I could almost have one episode a day with the Orville, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Speechless, and Great News airing right now.

The thing that makes me think he could do better comedically is because he's incredibly funny in interviews, especially longer form ones. He's got a mind like a steel trap. If at least the depth of the storylines improves I'll be happy though.

I certainly hope TNG gets better. I struggled through the first episode which was two hours long dealing with the 'Q' being and I'm having to force myself to continue watching after it.

Hopefully it survives that long

It won't get better until like halfway through season 2

It gets worse before it gets better. There's an episode at 3 or 4 where Tasha has to fight the nigger king's wife with a fucking spike to prevent the nigger king from marrying her as well.

If you feel like you're considering dropping it, skip to Measure of a Man and go from there. You can go back to season 1 after you're content with continuing.

ALARA CANT GET TOGETHER WITH JOHN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh great. I'll see if I can persevere through it and if not I'll skip ahead to that episode. Thanks for the info, it's good to know where to go if I can't get through it.

>you must be hamelok
>nice name
>just kidding
>it's not

everyone going on about her eyebrows missing/reappearing and all i wanna do is gently suck on her shell-like ears.

2 seasons at least are basically a given.

Are you sure? Ratings are down and Fox threw it into a shitty time slot

>59 posts
>18 posters

Everything gets 2 seasons now. Even Dark Matter. Usually for syndication. They've invested the money in the sets and getting the teams of cast and crew and writers together, and they're afraid of a Firefly-style backlash. It's even less likely with the Orville because it has Seth at the helm and Fox seems to give him license to do whatever he wants.

Yes its doing well, best thursday show they've had for years.

and?

the one with the uniforms and lens flare is better

user delivers

It annoys me that we have the 2IC from Orville on the right but not Lasquisha from STD on the left.

They'd be fun to nibble on and run your tongue through the ridges.

>"Running it against Sunday Night Football seems like a bad idea, let's run it against Thursday Night Football instead"

why alara always? why not doctor girl?

Yeah, it's Sonequa, not a stereotypical name like Lasquisha.

Sorry for my racism, I know it's not acceptable on a place like Sup Forums. She has a totally serious name 'Michael'.

I think it's a good idea to have a sort of mediocre Captain that is made better by everyone around him. I think that's what they're going for. His crew is exceptional, not him.

But he seems to try his hardest and be an okay guy. To have him be a mediocre captain at the same time seems like a contradiction, and is confusing to the audience. He should either care deeply, try hard, and be a good captain, or still be caught up in the same problems he used to have and be a crappy captain. At the moment, it feels like they're going for good captain but Macfarlane isn't bringing it with his performance.

He's middle management.

It's ok but kinda bland. What times do we live in when this is considered a great sci-fi show. It would be that another mediocre tv series in 90s like b5 that nobody watches because too much better stuff is airing.

As a captain he seems fine, as a general person he's awkward and hung-up on greyson, also drinking to much, his command skills aren't the problem.

I guess this is intentional, and it is what he feels like, and it's hard comparing an intentionally average captain to the greats, but I could really go for a clearer performance. If he's mere middle management, can we have him caring less about his missions, being unwilling to go the extra mile?

I just don't agree, as a Captain he doesn't really fill me with confidence or any great desire to follow him into risky situations.

Almost had me

Actually, she needs to be RAPED.

He hasn't done anything wrong so far, every tactical situation he's gotten into he's done well in. Things only go to to when he's not in-charge.

But user, in America every day is football day, you can't win.

Well give it time. Captians need to face challenges to reveal their character. Would be boring if he was fucking Picard right off the bat.

lewd desu

>I felt like in the Bortus' baby episode for example they did take a clear side on who was right they just didn't win in the end

Arguments presented for that side:
- it jest en't rite
- no, it's not like circumcision!
- no, it's not like fixing a harelip!
- Rudolf the Red-Nose Reindeer's nose glowed bright enough to light Santa's way
- one particular male of another species is ignorant of obscure historical trivia
- females of an entirely different species are strong
- the only unconformed female turned out to be a truly great writer

Arguments presented for the other side:
- this is a different species
- in this species, being female is a birth defect which makes the afflicted weaker and socially incompatible
- they routinely correct this defect in infancy
- the only unconformed female had to live as a hermit
- the conformation process works so well only a careful medical exam can detect it, and produces happy, well-adjusted adults

Unmentioned but obvious considerations:
- the species is either hermaphroditic or asexual
- the "males" lay eggs
- the "females" are not involved in reproduction in any way
- the varieties referred to as "male" and "female" are actually only individuals having non-sexual traits making them superficially similar to human men and women
- not a single one of humanity's own truly great writers has ever been female, despite half of all humans being born female, and us not "conforming" any of them

Did they take a clear side, or did they have their dufus characters take a clear side to make a number of entirely different points?

The Orville is not a comedy. It is some damn sharp satire on pseudoprofundity, the unreasonable persuasiveness of bad ideas, and media bias.

Chew on this for a bit: Is episode four an analogy for Global Warming, or for the leftward creep of the Overton Window?

Not that guy, but I thought it was the latter. Happens a bunch in Trek after all, even before global warming was such a big thing.

I'm pleased with how okay the Orville is. It would be even better without the two helmsmen guys cracking jokes.

I'm not going to get started on that shitty ranking.

I'm okay with the helmsmen so far because they haven't really left the helm so they really exist just to make the ship comfy.

Why don't we get a new Orville episode every day? A week is too long to wait.

>decide to watch orville
>10 seconds in and the wife cucks the husband.

No Thanks

The jokes are still hit or miss sometimes but it's feeling more organic with each passing episode. I got a pretty good laugh from Kelly's torture banter, Ed stunning the guard and Isaac's misunderstanding of why you would call someone a dick

calm down, damn, also mary shelly and jane austin, also that one who wrote blind assassin, that really was a great book, anyway the orville crew condemned the idea of forces something like that on a child. But the show itself stayed pretty neutral over all

>Guinness World Records lists Christie as the best-selling novelist of all time. Her novels have sold roughly 2 billion copies, and her estate claims that her works come third in the rankings of the world's most-widely published books, behind only Shakespeare's works and the Bible.
Checkmate bigot. Now change your gender.

You got an awful sense of humor mate. But glad it works for you.

I envy them. They get to rage at the universe whilst we live knowing that getting lost of what you want isn't always satisfying.

Yea those were all kinda funny
You are awfully pretentious but glad it works for you.

the dick joke and the later call back got me excited for Isaac and whenever he'll become the focus of an episode
it was a blatant Data style misconception joke but it still was well executed

Hey guys I haven't checked this out yet. Would it be appropriate to watch with my 5-year-old or are there scary/adult scenes? It says TV-14 but I figured I'd ask viewers directly.