This was a terrible movie

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RU92YBxAI-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The scene when she finds out from the future what to say in the present was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever witnessed. Her face implied she didn't even know what she said EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS IN A TIMELINE IN WHICH SHE ALREADY SAID IT.

And I hate her face.

I usually give sci Fi the benefit of the doubt, but not this time.

Terrible opinions: the thread

>this is some same fagging to defend a shitty contrarian opinion on a good movie in order to save a shitty thread

No it's not. It had a promising first half.

Don't talk shit about mommyfu.

Ban all phoneposters.

Please explain to me, oh Chancellor of superior taste, how she has to learn from the Chinese man IN A POST LEARNING FROM THE CHINESE MAN TIMELINE?

I wouldn't call it terrible by a long shot but of the Villeneuve films I've seen, its the one I least enjoyed (well until blade runner comes out), probably due to Amy and Jeremy's poor acting and chemistry

I liked that the programs they used to translate the rings actually seemed feasible and not palmed off with pseudo scientific nonsense, and, for once it was relieving to have aliens that didn't play the bad guys

No it was pretty alright

It was terribly dull and the whole movie falls apart after they meet up with the aliens.

Arrival is one of those movies that tries to present itself as smart and intellectual just by having needlessly slow and dull scenes/pacing. You can have slow pacing with lingering shots and stuff like that, but it only works if the cinematography is top-tier to make up for it (see: Drive).

Instead, Arrival is just plain fucking boring. For fucks sake, even the color grading is completely gray and without contrast. It's like they purposefully set the movie up saying "how can we make this movie as visually uninteresting as humanly possible while also having characters who are all dull as dirt". And the shame of it is, I actually really like the concept of meeting weird aliens and trying to figure out how they speak, but the concept's execution was terrible

Why was Renner even in this movie? He served absolutely no fucking purpose at all, other than to have an answer to "who's Amy's future baby daddy???"

that was a sci fi movie suitable for women, just as gravity and that other horrible one with jlaw it it were
people with taste dont take women into sci fi movies
but plebs do so there are great sci fi movies for connaiseurs that dont do well commercially and terrible ones for women and plebs that generate money

I dunno, I liked it at the time.

honestly I've never been autistic about any movie or show I don't give a shit if you like it or not except for Arrival, this shit was the best sci fi alien movie i've ever seen, it was so well done and very realistic in terms of interaction with aliens. The movie was great through and through. 10/10. Suck my sweaty herpes ridden balls.

i'm not even sure wether the genre of this crap is called sci fi anymore. it's a genre of its own.

Not great, not terrible. Just a movie.

Someone sitting around all day and shitposting on a finnish throat-singing forum while making money off bitcoin and autismbux would also be very realistic, but I wouldn't want to see a movie about it.

The movie was fucking boring and pretentious.

go watch rick and morty, kid.

How do I move from a solely autismbux based income to that of bitcoin?

you missed your chance

>Why was Renner even in this movie?

They put Renner in there because the studio thought people wouldn't watch a movie with just Amy Adams in it.

This movie is literally made for the Rick and Morty fanbase

Just fucking kill me now then

see, this is what I was alluding to here >hurr I have lots of tediously slow and visually uninteresting panning shots
>this will make plebs think my movie is so deep and intelligent :DDD

When you think back to a movie is what you think of panning shots? wow. autism.

if time is linear and unique it makes sense

I agree. Pseudo-intellectual shit designed by people who looked at all the good mysterious science fiction of the past and used characteristics commonly associated with it. Except actually being well constructed/good.

Amy Adams laying in bed straddling a body pillow in the early morning hours made my heart hurt.

agreed fuck this movie

If time is linear it makes no sense. She can't travel through time, so only perceives it differently. The first time she ever gets to the point where she needs to call the Chinese man, she has not yet been at the party where she learns the information she needs to tell the Chinese man in the first place.

The party where she learns the information only happens once she has called the Chinese man, which allows her to save the day and cause the party.

youtu.be/RU92YBxAI-g

>can't pass through even the simplest of pleb filters

Please just nuke this board

The premise was good. The early execution was good. The practical reality of non-linear time was poorly explained, explored and thought-through. The way the movie defines the phenomena is not how the actual characters experience it. Amateur hour because people won't kick up a fuss and just assume they were too dumb to get it.
Over all better than watching half of the trash usually released but it's nothing steller

>this whole thread

>but it's nothing... Intersteller
fix'd

Fuck you, I liked it. We need more non-violent ayy lamao movies.

>wojack tiny brain.jpg

OKay im kinda lost here.

anyone from the future who read her book that she's going to write could see time in circles and communicate with her back in the past.

The ending with the Chinese general telling her what to say was a complete chicken-or-the-egg-style time paradox but whatever, I guess. It's a common sci fi trope.

The sound design was great

Been 3 hours and only seems to be the only person here to understand what I'm bringing up.

you've already put more thought into it than the filmmakers did, and that's why the movie is bad

It was over before anything happened at all.

You guys are absolutely right, the idea of "non-linear" time is a total copout for shitty writing, that plebs eat up because they don't want to appear unintelligent, thinking that they've just watched a very smart movie.

It's precisely the same with Interstellar. Terminator has a similar nonsensical paradox, but unlike the other two, it doesn't have a pretentious pseudo-intellectual fanbase, so people take it for what it is and ignore the nonsense.

How so in interstellar? The reason it didn't work well in this movie is because her facial expressions imply she didn't even know what she said, when she was already in the timeline.

Isn't interstellar a loop so to speak?

The nonsensical aspect of interstellar is that the wormhole they go through could only be there if they had already gone through it.

That hack sci-fi writers use this trope all the time doesn't make it any less retarded.