I really wanted to like this, but it's just so... ehhh. Not exactly terrible but it's so lacking...

I really wanted to like this, but it's just so... ehhh. Not exactly terrible but it's so lacking, it feels like some generic SyFy show was rewritten at the last minute to include Star Trek references.

Granted though I've only seen the first two episodes. Does it get better?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14055469/r
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I get the same feeling from ep.3, but 3 is certainly better than 1&2.

it gets worse

better kys. only safe option snoflake.

>Does it get better?

I dunno, we'll have to wait til season 3 to find out.

Episode 3 feels more like a pilot for the show then the actual pilot.

>Does it get better?
no

watch something good like Orville

6'1 vs 5'11

>an ENTIRE EPISODE about gender issues

I quit it long ago for Orville, doesn't get better.

this guy gets it!

Fox shills are getting desperate.

ep 3 is even worse

>t. CBS shill

>Granted though I've only seen the first two episodes. Does it get better?
Most of the /trek/ posters seem to agree that episode #3 is an improvement.

strawpoll.me/14055469/r

>an
>ENTIRE
>episode

While I agree, polls are for kids and plebs, fuck off with that shit.

for me it's the orville

the only good trek show

>long ago
>literally came out last week
>came out after Orville
What's wrong with you, mentally?
Is orvilleposting the new prequelposting?

Taking a leaf from that other franchise they should've called it "Discovery: A Star Trek Story" to set it apart from the main canon.

Here's the quick rundown:
>Cast and crew of STD make tons of posts on social media about SJW shit, lots of SJW articles about the series
>Orville gets advertised as a comfy and fun version of Star Trek
>Sup Forums decides ahead of time that STD will be shit and Orville will be great because of this
>STD comes out, ends up being politically neutral and great
>Orville comes out, ends up being politically heavy-handed and trash
And now, endless damage control. I wonder how many more terrible episodes of Orville it will take for them to give up. There was literally an ENTIRE EPISODE about gender issues.

>main character is a Mary Sue
>tear down Mary Sue so she is an underdog using bad writing that makes the character do shit she normally would never do
>Mary Sue is black
>Mary Sue is female with an obvious male name
>Mary Sue is the smartest Federation member ever
>Mary Sue gets off the hook for treason and has to win her way back up from underdog status

That's merely 3 episodes, OP. 3 fucking episodes. Nothing good will come from this. Also, fuck Orville as well, it isn't getting any better.

>Talking shit about Discovery
>Watching Discovery
Pick one. Nobody does both.

it's the only Trek show period

>Mary Sue
There's that word again. It's almost as misused as cuck is here.

The 3rd episode as the new token character. An autistic ginger. I hope everyone can relate to her.

Name 10 characters to which it was misapplied.

I enjoyed the first two episodes as a standalone space-cowboy adventure. I'd give them 8/10. They had little relation to Star Trek and I'd even question whether they can be called sci-fi, but I was entertained.
E03 introduced real elements of sci-fi and the new characters were far more attuned to the ST universe - the scientist dude and the quirky roomie. That said, nothing really happened in the episode. It was purely intended to introduce the new characters and give a hint as to their personalities, but no more than that. I was pretty underwhelmed with the episode itself but there was enough in there to keep me curious about where this show is going, and hints that it might be more Trek than first assumed.
I genuinely like the lead actor and her portrayal of Michael Burnham. I wondered if she had the presence to carry a show like this but she's pulling it off in my eyes (I'd still have loved a series with Captain Michelle Yeoh, but that's no slight on the lead).

Perhaps controversially, I'm also enjoying the Orville. It's turning into a great period for sci-fi on TV and I'll take as many good shows as I can get.

Have you seen any of the episodes? She's a Mary Sue on fucking crack (probably literally irl).

Really? I don't know how you guys have made it through Voyager and Enterprise, but suddenly only 3 episodes of this and it's the shittiest Star Trek ever? Really i think you lack perspective.

>Is a Mary Sue except they tore down the Mary Sue thing but she's still a Mary Sue
Okay? Still literally the best three first episodes of any Star Trek series to date.

Most people criticizing it never watched any Star Trek other than maybe some JJ movies.

Could you imagine if the first three episodes of TNG were airing instead?

>(probably literally irl).
Why, because she's black?

She was a human raised by Vulcans and doesn't demonstrate any abilities or traits beyond this.

Yes, you can't have a main character who is a Mary Sue who isn't also an underdog. The worst part is that this is Star Trek and there's a main character.

No, because she's a nigger from Alabama.

Yeah most first episodes of Star Trek were underwhelming...after a few series, you would understand that they took the time to introduce main characters and like many shows anyway, the first season was basically about setting things up...so i seriously don't see the problem...except that everyone is chasing the SJW like that's the only thing you see when you watch the show....

MSDF is strong today.

>Could you imagine if the first three episodes of TNG were airing instead?
And watched by modern Sup Forums?

>RIKER: You were right. Somebody blew the hatch. They were all fucked and sucked out into space.
>DATA: Correction, sir, that is flown and blown out.

This.

first three episodes of tos are better

It's just a very generic scifi with Star Trek stamped on it.

>t. didn't watch DS9 or ENT where Sisko and Archer were front and center for the first episodes

>because she's a nigger
oooh. ok.

>like that's the only thing you see when you watch the show....

More like the only thing they let you see while shoving Jew cocks in your ass.

Depends which order you watched it in.

STD is better than, say, The Man Trap.

Jews are everywhere, man. You keep looking for them, you'll see them everywhere.
Me, i'm just watching a damn show with good characters or not, good effects or not etc.

>t. Trekkie

They were captains. The captain will always take priority because definitively they're the ones making all the executive decisions.

I'm a race realist and misogynist, and I like STD. What do you think of that? This is an image I have saved that I've posted often, you can check archives if you don't believe me.

what i learned:
i have to accept that star trek will always have this spastic "funny" scenes.
also it seems we will never get a star trek with believable characters and good dialoges.

oh and the uniforms are horrible.

>No, because she's a nigger from Alabama.
And Sup Forums wonders how it manages to always get caught.

I live in a community where no Jews exist. There's a reason why they called tv the, "Jewtube", at least as far back as the 1970s.

production order of course

w-wait. What if she was a nigger from Arkansas? Would that be even more a problem for you?
I mean, i'm trying to find your logic here.

You know what? Even then, I would rather watch STD than Mudd's Women.

imo "The Corbomite Maneuver" is the only good episode of the entire original series.

I think you are also a masochistic.

I don't go to Sup Forums.

There's more crack use in Alabama.

Why would you want to watch TNG with ex-wife and fart jokes? Just watch TNG.

But Sup Forums should have jews then, shouldn't it?

Wow suddenly it's okay to have a main character in opening episodes since it got pointed out that this has happened in Star Trek before. Mental gymnastics are fierce.

>w-what? Why is people liking stuff I don't like???
>n-no your show is sjw
Kek, CBS shill are working overtime.

Arkansas would be Meth not Crack, kid.

JIDF

Oh. So you think she's a crack nigger?

I hope you're ready to see Mudd again soon.

TNG is boring and there are children here.

Watch Orville tbqhf

>I don't go to Sup Forums.
You would be more welcome there than you are here.

Um...what about Idaho then? Montana?

the irony as that post literally mentioned cast and crew social media posts as the source of Sup Forums backing the wrong horse

He's right though.

Isn't Orville just a spoof? meh funny aliens meh dick jokes "where is your dick, alien?"

It'll be awful, but at least the writers won't be trying to convince us to root for a poor helpless innocent little sex trafficker.

It's the most well made scifi show in television history. If they cut the budget I'm going to stop watching.

>he didn't hear about the cracked out antics on TWD before getting preggers

Why are Orvillefags so bad at bants? It's always
>Orville is better!!1!
>Shill!
>Look at this political screencap that isn't actually a part of the show!!
Do your criticisms have no basis? Does Orville have no solid ground to stand on? Depressing.

OK, spo there's a lot of "here's why DIS is bad" "No that's not true" going around, and that's fine. But can anyone give me a positive reason to watch it?

Bonus question: if it wasn't called Star Trek, would you still be watching it?

better than an entire show about gender issues

So am I, literally, but he shifted goalposts. Look back in the post chain.

Stand up, Communists.

No. It's as close as you can be to TNG without being TNG, with just enough comedy dialogue sprinkled on top to class it as a comedy so that Seth McFarlane could get it made.

Nothing wrong with shifting goalposts when you are only posting truth, kid.

Best three opening episodes to a Star Trek series so far. New klingon designs are awesome. Cutting straight to a war plotline, which is nice as DS9's war plotline was the best part of Star Trek. Half of the cast seems pretty promising(the three white guys for some strange reason). Looks like the series is taking place in some fuckin area 51 starship which could get cool. Best production values for a Star Trek show thus far as a bonus.

Most of the criticism comes from episodes 1 and 2. You should watch it because episode 3 is good.

Thus it fits in with the pattern set by TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT: It starts bad but gets better.

>That lens glare
To make it more accurate it should have blocked the girl's face.

>I don't look like an idiot when I post irrelevant things as long as they are true, kid
Malachite is an ore of copper, kid.

but why does it need this ginger shit?
and the main character is just a data/7of9/spock + kirk character.
i just want a star trek that is less giggly.

Honestly episodes 1 and 2 are pretty fun anyway. Klingons rock.

>it has a story
>half the cast is good

not really selling it desu

Wouldn't it make sense for a character who was raised by vulcans to try and withhold emotional expression?

The cast is mainly what carries a Star Trek series, this is why Voyager struggled so hard and TNG did so well. I don't really care if you don't have the attention span to watch a few episodes of something and find out for yourself, though. Not the right franchise for that mindset, I'm just giving you a perspective from someone who enjoyed it.

yes. so?

So give the show a shot (watch the first 3 episodes) or please don't post in the threads.

But Data, Seven, and Spock were the best characters in their respective series.

I've watched the three episodes, I'm looking for reason to watch the fourth when it airs. I don't think it's good for many of the commonly posted reasons.

new klingon designs suck and the space battle segments of DS9 sucked

What would you rather have?

>main character is a Mary Sue

At this point, I can only conclude that "Mary Sue" has lost all meaning except for "female character I'm expected to see as a person rather than fuckmeat."

Seven was just fapbait with an ugly hairstyle.

I think it's ass. Ruined what fucking Star trek is about. How the fuck would you ruin such a simple concept? Fucking boring Mary Sue as lead, reminds me of tfa.

>Michael Burnham
>a person

she's a dour monosyllabic computer whose purpose is to provide information and move plot.