Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7zLuGwQyLyE
youtube.com/watch?v=INj6HPuKJnk
youtube.com/watch?v=AhuXoimhNGM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEk3deCOm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what a piece of shit that show was

Yeah but no but yeah

Social media has made it so that a handful of people being upset can shut things down.

People got mad when this aired 10 years ago too, just nobody gave a fuck what they thought.

Who the fuck is this faggot kidding? He did it in Come Fly With Me as late as 2011.
>Big Issue
lol

youtube.com/watch?v=7zLuGwQyLyE

It was pretty much identical to the airport one, but for some reason I kinda liked that one

You really couldn't get away with this shit today, and it wasn't even that long ago. Incredible how times have changed so quickly.

Didn't he have a second show where he played blackface characters just a few years ago?

>OOGA BOOGA BLOX NOOD I'M A NIGGER LMAO PRAISE THE LORD OBUMMER

Christ, Matt!

youtube.com/watch?v=INj6HPuKJnk

fucking eyebrowless ugly cunt

OK, let's be honest here - everyone remotely left-wing in Britain found Little Britain vile when they went from the oddly brilliant displaced-person blackface minstrels sketches, in which two guys in blackface are now as rejected and despised as black immigrants had once been, to doing straight-up racist stuff. It was sickening to see how easily it was accepted.

For him to apologise now is damage limitation, because he has a foot in the Hollywood door as a character actor and doesn't want the past biting him on the arse.

They didn't really get away with it then - it was aired at odd hours and never recommissoned. His split with Walliams happened around then - they don't talk now and neither has gone into why that is.

In my home country we have mass demonstrations of people in blackface, I have seen niggers be horrified of it, it's pretty funny, I hope we never get cucked, imagine if this was Canada under Trudeau, everyone would be sent to gulag.

hi david

fuck off paki

Keep in mind he is a homo and that this show aired on the BBC, the BBC is as liberal as you can get. Back then it really didn't matter to most people.

There is literally nothing wrong with politically motivated self censorship.

I love Black Pete! He's not at all racist, he's a fantasy character from a time when black people were like unicorns or manticores in the European imagination.

So, which is it? Has society moved on or would it upset people?

Those are literally mutually exclusive statements.

when did thing change? 2013/14?

I know that of course, I never felt anything disparaging from it. But when niggers from America or Canada see it they have a seizure. Lmao. I don't understand the concept of putting black paint on your face being "racist." It's foreign to me. But it is religious doctrine in the Americas somehow.

>most people

I didn't say it mattered to most people, I said it mattered to anyone left-wing. The BBC is not as liberal as you can get, they blow with the prevailing wind to keep their charter. That was the era when ironic-but-not-really racism was big.

>Matt Lucas said he now thought it was 'lazy for white people to get a laugh'
Little Britain in a nutshell. the entire series was nothing but joke a 10 tens old would come up with

i wonder how he now feels about the 'only gay in the village' sketches or the trannies with moustaches, where the only punchlines are look he's a faggot and look at these two men in dresses, one didn't even shave.

Society has moved onto the point where it upsets them.

Things changed when Lucas realized that American people will dig those clips up, link them to him on Twitter and say "what the fuck?"

If I was him, I'd blame it on Walliams, who was always the creepy one.

It's funny, the "I'm a laydee" stuff probably isn't even broadcastable now, but we shouldn't pretend this is society moving on, those sketches wouldn't have flown in the mid-nineties either, what happened was that a brief window of opportunity for callousness closed.

Little Britain: The League of Gentlemen for plebs who didn't understand why it was funny and laughed at the wrong bits.

TLoG has these things too but I don't think anyone believes its offensive in the same way it seems in LB because its not lazy and shit.

Oh no, I think The League of Gentlemen was just as foul, it just never got to be as mainstream because its makers were more pretentious. The League's name is parodic but also dead-on - they're relatively posh Northerners who feel revulsion for anyone lower on the social scale than them. Victoria Wood got accused of patronage for far less dehumanizing stuff, but this was the eventual of the depoliticization of alternative comedy begun in the early 90s, really. Even most of Vic and Bob's characters are just student pisstakes of the long-term unemployed they saw growing up in the North East, with the surrealism used to boil away any guilt you might feel at the condescension.

>those sketches wouldn't have flown in the mid-nineties either

Of course they bloody would.

> Literally did black and brown face 6 years ago
> A different time

Go watch Ace Ventura lad

Of course they bloody wouldn't. Things had got depoliticized compared to the 80s, but it hadn't gotten to the point where that would have been possible. Things don't just go forwards - it was very clear when the second series of Little Britain aired that things were going backwards. The Fast Show got Felix Dexter to play any black characters they came up with - the option of anyone blacking up at that time would have been unthinkable.

We're talking about British alternative comedy in the 90s, not American media.

this nigger has never been funny.

I don't think it has that point of view informing it though. Pauline is a monster of course but thats the view you get from being hassled by these people, not lording it over them. She's a very specific kind of situational tyrant but its not like they never do pathos. And people in small towns are weird, its just a fact, everyone has been to the 'local shop' or similar on holiday in a rural area and found some sort of weirdness going on. The worthies of the town get attacked the hardest and those people are like little tin pot gods when you're in a place like that (perhaps less so now in a more atomised society but the butcher who was friends with the local plod was a typical kind of local bigshot, think Thatcher's dad in Grantham).

I also don't agree re; Vic and Bob. I think that is just surrealism, I've never watched them much after Big Night Out though.

Come Fly With Me was heavily promoted by the BBC but bombed in the ratings

I guess the strain of the show bombing and Walliams seriously famous from BGT and eclipsing Lucas

>this passes as news for the "Big Issue"
>screenshot of a blog article thread

Sure thing, kid.

I thought Pauline was based one somebody they knew from signing at the Job Centre?

To me, it did have that point of view informing it. Pauline isn't monstrous because it's her character, she's monstrous because she's an unattractive, codedly lesbian Northern woman. She's monstered from a plausible progressive point of view because this was the New Labour era, but the pretext doesn't really stand up on rewatching, you just see the misanthropy. For me, anyway. It's like how a lot of Pulp's songs from their peak have aged, because Jarvis Cocker's very particular and petit-bourgeois resentments don't sound like a class war you can get behind now that the Northern=not-Tory=underdog thing has gone. In my memory, which may be inaccurate, there were a lot of songs about fucking middle-class women as class war on middle-class men, which is a creepy mindset. Anyway, I digress.

To me, the League's pathos was never based in empathy, but condescension. There's never a sense of "there but for the grace of God", it's always "poor cunts, rather them than us".

I

It was promoted, but it was on in an odd slot for the reigning mainstream sketch kings, wasn't it? It was in that Citizen Khan/Mrs. Brown's Boys slot, iirc. It seemed like they were distancing themselves from it as soon as it was ready to air.

No idea what that letter I is doing there.

*becoming seriously

I'd have to look at old TV listings but I think they played it at 10:30pm

You were probably right about the BBC distancing themselves from it. That show was a trainwreck from the very start.

Yeah, that's the slot I found odd, after the news.

Trainwreck is the word.

Just because people used to be as racist and sexist as they wanted doesn't make it a good time. Equality and diversity is more important than making jokes.

This is good b8, but the jokes you're defending were diabolical.

>diabolical

>invoking the devil over jokes

No, they were just... poor.

>getting triggered over face-paint

Liberals.

gayyyy

A handful of comments and thousands of upvotes because so progressive and it's just a click

Racist and offensive jokes are good for society because makes light of how dumb getting upset over trivial things like race is. Pretending it doesnt exist and coddling people only makes racial tension much worse than just joking about it.

Yea trivial things like race haha
Lets pretend these foreigners imported by treasonous politicians are suddenly "one of us" because they were given a piece of fucking paper

The cucks want to just ignore the whole context of this "racial tension" which is that NON-WHITES DO NOT BELONG HERE
Not in the US, not in Canada, not in Europe

Pauline is first and foremost a monster because she is horrible to people and abuses what little authority she has. It is pathetic (as in pitiable) but its also unpleasant to be on the other end of. It is true that our protagonist gets his revenge on her by her humiliating her with long words she doesn't understand. If Pauline was in Little Britain she'd literally be Pauline The Ugly Lesbian and what she did would neither be here nor there as informing her character beyond 'acting like an ugly lesbian'.

But this idea of an egregious person (haha) getting power over others because of the system is something that comes up in the wider world of portmanteu horror films they are referencing. She's the abusive nurse in the asylum or whatever.

US was founded and built by immigrants you retard. Sup Forums idiots like you is the reason why SJWs have more clout on society to be pissed at people making racist jokes, because youre not joking.

By white settlers & colonists, not "immigrants", fucking clown
By proud white nationalists concious of the importance of race.

SJW's have clout because of cowardly backstabbers like yourself, who will always pander to them with your "I'm not a racist please don't attack me!" bullshit

It was incredibly tasteless at the time and they routinely were criticised for it.

He has a short memory.

Little Britain is absolute shit. You can skip most of the sketches afte the first episode because they just re-use the same joke again and again instead doing interesting things with the characters.
The only sketches that are actually worth watching are the Daffyd sketches and the Fat Fighters sketchers because they actually try to be funny from putting the characters in different situations that clash with their personality instead of just rehashing the catchphrase but in a different location.

lel this is what years of inbreeding get you
>REEEEEEE NORMIES GET OUT

You should try and get out more m8, maybe try and get a girlfriend

Underrated

Jesus fucking Christ pal, shut the fuck up you mealy mouthed cunt. How's the first week of your sociology degree been? Excited to be away from home from the first time?
>there were a lot of songs about fucking middle-class women as class war on middle-class men
What the fuck are you on about?

This is obviously correct, that the guy you're replying to can't see it makes me think he's the anti-Sneed spammer who hates it because he unironically doesn't get the joke.

back then you'd just be criticized for it, these days you'll be skinned alive for even thinking about it

>SJWs have more clout
>Literally cost the left the American election

no it wasnt it was the height of blairism

I've watched seasons 1 - 3 the past few days and all I've been thinking whilst watching it is "there's no fucking way they'd allow this to be made today".
>White people as black people.
>Taking the piss out of gays and trans.
>Hardcore taking the piss out of fat people.

The thing is... it's fucking hilarious.

fun fact about Walliams: he has a taste for very young women

Like, the girl I was sat next to in my sixth form class in 2006 (when I was just turning 17) was 17 and she was dating him. He called up her modelling agency and asked for her through them (so its not like they were forced together and developed feelings - he went out of his way to get her).

I remember that she did not know the number of months in a year

>when you dress up like women ("in drag") for comedic effect or to literally roleplay it's ok
>at worst it's outdated form of humor
>it's insulting and raycis to play a black woman tho

I love this world.

As far as i can remember, it was fairly good on the radio, i guess it never transitioned to TV very well?

BBC is extremely progressive. They are forcing black actors into all the Victorian dramas. BBC news is a fucking joke too

I always thought that the "Only Gay in the Village" sketches weren't funny because of how flamboyantly gay he was, but that he absolutely detested other Gay people because then he wasn't special. Little Britain wasn't that funny, the odd-sketch was funny but you could compile everything from all of its seasons into one episode probably.

>The thing is... it's fucking hilarious.
Thanks for informing us that you are a shit-eating pleb and your opinions are worthless.

they were mocking Special Snowflakes before Snowflakes became a thing

truly before its time

I thought that at the time and I still do now. But I have to wonder if it was intentional or not, because nothing else in the show is even touching on being half that intelligent.
>The racist old lady throws up on a child
>The Scottish innkeeper sings a song?
>The midget sings a song about pop culture
>fat ladies in a spa

You were in a class with retards?

The show was shit because it was the exact same joke every episode.

Daffid makes fun of gays/something gay.
Fat fighters woman makes fun of the fat people.
Computer says no woman says computer says no.
The handicap man in the wheel chair gets out of the chair.

It doesn't work because you know the joke before you've even seen it. It's as if Monty Python done the parrot skit with a different animal every episode, it just wouldn't work.

To give them credit the corner shop skit was great. youtube.com/watch?v=AhuXoimhNGM

distribution of students at our form classes at our sixth college were completely random. Our college had 2200 students all age 16-18. some of them were retaking GCSEs but most were A levels.

i did well at A levels and uni.

american plz

This doesn't surprise me at all, the clues have been there. In fact, 17 is older than I'd have thought.

im british. I have 2 friends who work there.

The Guardian is the second most popular paper at BBC which ordered 69,212 copies

To put things in perspective the Guardian only sells 204,222 copies per issue

Yes, an era in which ironic-but-not-really racism was really big. I was THERE. History is never as simple as left and right taking turns. New Labour was Tory in many of its assumptions, alternative comedy was at its most left-wing in the Thatcher era, because it was oppositional, and the attitude of the Blair era was one of post-ideological neoliberalism which was, in practice, massively callous.

>college
>16-18
I can understand why Americans can’t keep up with white nations now. We got to college at 18.

Everyone knows this, anyone who watches the BBC also knows that they bend with the prevailing wind to keep their charter, and that however notionally liberal the period was, Little Britain was found massively racist by many people at the time. I was *there*.

Oh, and
>at BBC

British people call it "the BBC", Sup Forumstard.

You fuckers still read newspapers? The fucking internet exists man. Does your bongland politicians ban news sites too on your internet?

Your last 2 years of highschool we call "college" or "sixth form" or "sixth form college"

Your college we call "university" or "uni"

Not the first time either.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEk3deCOm0

I would never buy them as its a waste of money. But lots of offices buy a whole bunch and put them in receptions and canteens.

btw "canteen" means "cafeteria"

Your white nation privilege, something my 53% cunt ass will never feel.

This show was all anyone would quote back in the day. I remember getting a few laughs out of it but it wasn't great, it wasn't a show with longevity either as most of the punchlines were the same.

There was a small window of time in which this kind of tv was popular in the 00s tho, and it was pretty shit.

Domme mongool die je bent Zwarte Piet wordt hier JUIST verneukt atm door alle racismeroepers. Over een paar jaar bestaat hij niet meer let maar op.

They were basically in blackface

It was offensive but not funny. A show can't stand on its own without actually being entertaining. That was the probelm with this show. I never liked that bald headed fuck; he got a free pass on making his characters faggy as possible because he's a faggot. It's like Adam Sandler humor making fun of everything but himself.

I want that one

Reminder top three sketches are:
Lou & Andy, Dennis Waterman and retarded computer woman

Nah Brits, you're still the same miserable shits you always were. You're fooling literally no one.

So why aren't you teaching your children from a young age that social media is garbage like a grocery store tabloid and filled with sick perverts? it's not as if we don't have the power to turn this shit show around in the next decade.

I think I might be disagreeing with you elsewhere in the thread but this rings true to an extent for me:
>the attitude of the Blair era was one of post-ideological neoliberalism which was, in practice, massively callous
The New Labour era was in general post-X. Some of this I miss, its the polar opposite of identity politics. The justification of the ironic view of, say, race was that "we were past all that, nobody is so stupid as to be racist today" so we could laugh about it. Of course the problem with ironic things is they become unironic the first time someone isn't viewing it with your mindset.

In the end it depends who you are and whether you think we were genuinely past anything or whether the same crap was going on and we were blithely pretending it wasn't. Its complicated issue. I think men and women got on better in the post-feminist era and you'll recall women generally wore more clothes, were happier (as I recall anyway) and people generally got on better on the general assumption that being sexist was uncool anyway. It was on the other hand clearly a lie that class had gone away and probably the most evil thing Labour really did was to pretend that the ability to get into unsustainable debt eroded all boundaries and underlying divisions. Race I can't really comment on one way or the other.

agreed but this self cenorship self hating white bullshit has to stop

The death of comedy everyone

Quality show tbqhfam

little britian was shit
it was league of gentlemen for londoners.