How does a normal person without money or connections become a famous film director?

how does a normal person without money or connections become a famous film director?

not a shitty youtube director but someone like Kubrick or Fincher or Tarantino or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-j-Bbbck2Nk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

jus b urself

Convert to Judaism

Sex Magick rituals

There's a microscopic percentage of this ever happening to you, so fuck off.

it's actually really easy
first you go to

Ask urself
"What step can i take right now in this exact moment to be even an inch closer to my goal?"

Youll soon realise how much time you waste not following your dreams

If it doesn't happen to me I'll kill myself though, so it has to happen

this is horrible advice desu

First thing is that you go and direct some movies. Second thing you must do is to impress some important people in the movie business.

just "go and direct some movies"? with what money exactly?

what's your movie idea?

Step 1: be a kike
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit

And nothing of value was lost. You're frogposting on a Norweigian image board and probably haven't even taken the first steps towards trying to become an actual director. Also see , you /r9k/uck.

They don't have to be feature length films, you dumbass. Anyone with a camera and some editing software can make movies.

You work presumably? Make a small movie with a handheld camera and some friends/family members as actors. Post it on youtube. If people pick it up and like it, do another.

A good pitch and luck.

Unless youre willing to suck a lot of dicks, then you might get through with neither

Almost every famous director I admire started with money, connections, or some happenstance meeting on the street with a producer or some shit though

>won't even try
>thinks he has any right to bitch and moan
Fuck off to /r9k/, crybaby faggot.

People aren't going to watch it or care unless I have money for good production values and marketing though

Scrounge up a budget and make some shitty zombie movies on your cheapish gopros/DSLR's and try to get a lot of views on youtube.

I'm not saying I won't try, I just don't even know how to take the first step. Shooting little videos for youtube just seems like it won't get me anywhere.

i watch shitty youtube movies

Yeah so then I'll just be like the billion other retards making youtube videos for 1000 viewers. How do people make stuff that gets into Sundance?

He meant to say "important people"

How do you know? All sorts of stupid shit goes viral nowadays.
>unless I have money for good production
What the fuck are even trying to make? No director starts out trying to make Ben Hur or 2001.

you make small movies with cheap camera and friend as actors, then you shill your best project on sites like reddit, then you hope to get noticed by some studio or just crowdfund your next project

richard linklater - slacker
kevin smith - clerks

both incredibly famous bc of these films that took nothing to make

How old are you?
Are you in film school?
Do you have friends who are in film school?
Do you have talented friends who have film making knowledge, do you have film making knowledge?
Are you rich?
Do you have potential investors?

If your answer to this questions is yes then you could be the next Sam Raimi.

Like here, here's an example of a Sundance short film I really enjoyed

youtu.be/-j-Bbbck2Nk

It looks professional, they had a pro crew, proper sound design etc. How much does it actually cost to make something like this? I don't think anyone could do this on their own with a cheap camera.

That depends; what synagogue do you go to?

>If your answer to this questions is yes
>How old are you?
>Yes

wow im the next sam raimi!

Dude, you know what is your problem?
You want to be famous, you don't give a shit about filmaking, you just want to be admired.
Fuck off and start doing shit to get closer to your goal, why don't you go put and start searching for those connections? And for fuck sake start directing something so you can become better at directing? Do you want to be famous but mediocre as Roland Emerich? I guess not
Quit your whining and learn about filmaking either by making it or bu researching, i really hope you can get your head out of your ass and get marching towards your goal

Congratulations.

No, I don't just want to be famous, I want to be a famous filmmaker. Does anyone really respect "indie filmmakers" who make shit on YouTube for like 200 people? I don't think so. I don't want to be one of those people.

Not true at all. Robert Rodriguez, Shane Carrruth, and even the Coen Bros started out with nothing and had to finance their own shit. No reason you can't do the same, especially with how cheap filmmaking equipment is these days. Only thing stopping you is laziness/lack of creativity.

Do you even have an idea worth doing? Have you ever written a script?

>I don't want to be famous, I just want to be famous
I'm getting out of this thread. OP you are a moron.

Can you identify why those fucks doesn't get more views?

>Shooting little videos for youtube just seems like it won't get me anywhere.
It will teach you how to shoot and direct.

>started out with nothing and had to finance their own shit

I mean, there's a difference between "almost nothing" and ACTUALLY nothing though. It's hard to make a film when you can barely scrounge up like $2000. The Coens spent like $20k trying to get their film off the ground.

So then just save up until you can actually afford it? How fucking lazy are you?

Primer was literally shot and produced for $7,000 dollars.
You can shoot a movie on a FUCKING iPHONE for god's sake.
You're literally whinging about not magically being a famous director because you REALLY REALLY want to be one.
And you don't actually, because you've said in this thread "durr fuck indie film makers, who respects them." Forgetting that MOST fucking directors start out as small fries.

Kevin Smith became famous director from 0, so it's possible

>still not answering the "what is your film idea" question
I swear to god if you say "i'm not telling because you'll steal it", I think I might kill myself first before you.

>Primer was literally shot and produced for $7,000 dollars.

not him but that's actually not true, movie cost like $50,000 after post production.

>41 replies
>0 images

Faggot OP doesn't deserve any.

Just give up faggot, people like Scorsese, Carpenter and Spielberg envy you for all the cheap technology you have access nowadays, they had to start with expensive low quality film and expensive crappy gear, nowadays you have access to cheap digital cameras that give freedom to shoot for hours you can even use a fucking phone and one of those stupid gimbals, you can even edit you movie with you computer, you just lack the fiber to do anything with your life.

make something that hasn't been done before and that people want to see

kill yourself

>The Coens spent like $20k trying to get their film off the ground.
And? They didn't just magically have the money. They saved up for years and even went door to door pitching Blood Sinple to complete strangers looking for investors. Are you saying you're unwilling to do the same?

Literally this is an excuse unsuccessful low-IQ trash use to explain why they're such failures

Hey dumb ass, many directors working in Hollywood started on youtube, that guy who remade Evil Dead and made Don't Breathe, got his big break because of his youtube videos and he's not even from america.

Write a screenplay and try and sell it to a Jew studio and negotiate the price and shit

that really hit too close for you huh

The Coens followed Sam Raimi's footsteps, they shot a movie trailer and showed it to investors.

>HERP DERP I DESERVE TO MAKE 200 MILLION DOLLAR MOVIES BECAUSE I HAVE IDEAS
I hope you never make movies dumbass you are literally to stupid

I am willing to be we have all been baited by this guy.

lots of money is probably a good start

Make friends with a lot of jewish producers or people who know jewish producers.

dumb frogposter

You make the right connections. Kubrick grew up in a different times and was a jew. Fincher made music videos for a decade before catching his big break. Tarantino stalked Harvey Keitel until he finally read his script and gave him an in.

Let yourself get molested as a child

You don't become famous over night. There are tons of directors who have probably been making shit for years and they're still waiting on their big break while you sit online crying about not having money. Everyone has to start somewhere. Make your own content, shill the fuck out of it online and make some connections. It could take years of hard work or you could get incredibly lucky and your work falls into the right hands. But you'll never find out if you don't even start. Please stop being a bitch and go follow your dreams.

>durr how do i make millions of dollars?!!!

If it were as easy as just listening to someone else's advice we'd all be millionaires.

>shoot a film on your iPhone
>get noticed
>profit

David F Sandberg made little no budget horror concept shorts on YouTube and now he's directing multi million dollar movies. Quit making excuses.

The Coens only payed to rent a 35 mm camera for five days for the price of one day and made a 3 minute short "commercial" for their film. They showed it to "the richest Jews in town" and had them invest 750,000 dollars

>never held a camera in my life
>still feel like I could beat out 90% Sup Forums if I wanted to make some flicks
suck it nerds

>tfw you have resources and ideas but don't understand patents or copyrights for stories and don't want to spend money on a jew lawyer

first step is get off Sup Forums, start writing a script, drawn an image board or just picture it in your head. Film said things with your phone. Repeat till you get better and better. You ask for a reward when literally you are not able to do anything at the moment.

you're gonna have to either spend a lot of your own money getting your first projects off the ground (and hope for a film festival miracle or online viral success, although you can kinda buy viral success these days I guess), OR if you write a script and the right people see it, there's a chance they'll help you fund it.

an example of the latter is Tarantino specifically, he was a nobody who wrote a screenplay and it coincidentally got in the hands of Harvey Keitel and he got it made. Harmony Korine literally met a successful film director at a skate park by chance and he was able to make his way into the industry that way.

So basically, either spend a shit ton of money on your own projects or try to make contacts with successful people in the industry and maybe they'll be able to help you that way.

Neither will sitting on your ass complaining about it

I heard that James Cameron wrote a 50 page outline for The Terminator and sent it to all the studios. Just an outline; I guess he couldn't do screenplays but a great idea stands on its own merit regardless of format. The rest is history.

be jewish

>want to do something
>make an excuse
>still want to do it
>make an excuse
>5 years pass
>your life is over

Luck. You could be have the most genius brilliant idea and have latent skill at being a director but if the right doesn't decide to give you a shot then it's pointless. There are probably thousands of scripts out there that are fresh, unique, fun that were passed on because the person who read them prefers to play it safe. That said it shouldn't keep you from trying since you could very well end up being lucky. There is literally 0 downside to trying, it's not a "waste of time" since you will just waste your time on other shit if you don't try.

>want to do something
>i'm not mature enough yet i'll wait until i'm older and have figured more stuff out
>want to do something
>i really haven't read or watched enough material to draw inspiration from i'll do some more research
>want to do something
>oh someone else has already explored this idea
>want to do something
>now i have a job and have to worry about bills and when i have free time i cant bring myself to put energy into making something
i think if i could afford to buy a gun i would actually kill myself

>i'll wait
it's another user btfo's herself episode

>tfw im 23 and I feel like this

>>oh someone else has already explored this idea

Did you know that there were two plays written in the 16th century, one called Taming of A Shrew and another called Taming of the Shrew? Guess which one we remember today and why.

Well first you should make something. Nobody's gonna just hand you millions of dollars to make a movie if they don't trust you to do it well. Make movies and get fucking good at it. Build a fucking portfolio of good work. Perhaps put your big idea aside for a while while you create other shit. You're gonna be shit at first, and the production quality is gonna be cheap, but you have to put in the work to become that successful.

>and the production quality is gonna be cheap

but isn't the only way around this to just spend more money? I mean, does anybody really make anything of professional quality on their own? With filmmaking it seems impossible because there are just too many skillsets involved

i've been thinking about this actually

it seems that the truly celebrated directors most of whom are now dead were true artists, they came from poor backgrounds, lived shitty lives and made films about real people in a style very different to hollywood, they created the peoples cinema, obviously they get corrupted and later slip into the system but the first step is always real people and real stories, whether you look at france, england, italy, russia even america

If you're a new director trying to get your start, no one's gonna expect Spielberg type quality from you.

>professional quality
what constitutes, in your mind, a 'professional' look?

Fincher started doing sfx at ilm then music videos
Tarantino made a short film and sold screenplays, he had connections like monte hellman who helped him secure funding for rd
Kubrick was a photographer and made fear and desire

you dont "become" a famous director overnight, you have to earn that shit. Get a job on a film or tv set, theres literally tons of them and they are almost always in demand. Go to school for it if you can, film editing, sound, camera work, ect. At the very least you should make friends provided you arent autistic
then make the move to either NYC or LA, though places like Toronto and Atlanta are on the rise. Work on sets for a few years (yeah..years) get known as a good worker and move up through the ranks. All the while filming and working on the side using connections you make and things youve learned
its not for sure going to make it happen but you'll stand a much better chance and at least have a steady job in the feild

guarantee you he just means the DSLR "look"

Late to this thread but:

I'm an aspiring writer. I wanted to be a novelist for a while but then I read too many "classics" that did not resonate with me, so I'm less enthusiastic about the medium. Then I got into movies and wanted to try scriptwriting.

Reply to this with your pitch for a movie idea, and if it's cool and I think I could help, I'll draft your script.

A captain and his crew on a nuclear submarine decide to go rogue and threaten the entire world for 10 billion dollars. All is going to plan until the seamen onboard start regretting their decisions and tensions rise among the crew and stubborn captain. All while nations spy on them and get closer to having a chance to stealthily destroy the sub and potentially risk their plan going wrong.

a comedic, surrealist take on writing tropes.

you make a great film and you release it and it gets famous. that's it. make great work.

I'm of the opinion that movies aren't supposed to be crystal clear. Shoot it on a cheap camera, add grain in post.

something something gifted with deus ex machina something something

If you can't make something worth watching with next to no money then you're not worth hiring in their eyes.

>23
Nigga, try being 28 and with a kid. Can't even find time to do more than shitpost for an hour every night.

So are you saying it's not too late?

its le never too late :^)

I like it. here's a 10minutemail, contact me and I'll give you a permanent email. I'm serious.

[email protected]