/DIS/ Star Trek Discovery

shroom room edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=un1v0i_WEhY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All that floaty shit was a stupid decision for a streaming service, completely fucked with the quality.

Find a better looking sci fi show.

I bet you can't

kinda sad but true
directors will need to adapt, most probably dont even understand why it happens

I cant wait till the Discovery is in Star trek Online

i figured it out. those are mitichlorians. this is how they merge the star trek and star wars universes. screenshot this

the expanse

They're fungal spores with some sort of quantum entanglement fuckery.

That is not an solid argument.
Jar Jars Star Trek movies looked great, they where still stupid and annoying.

You forgot to post a backlink

Westworld

Oh wait I made that grid

Uhhhhh, Star Wreck?

in other words, the bind the universe together?

The visuals are on this show are bretty good but the story and casting are trash.

ew

just torrent it grampa
Westworld

Are there really people this shallow when it just comes down to "looks" for them? What about the writing? The acting? The story? The cinematography? Sound editing?

You may be pleased with the visuals, but STD at it's core is a hallow egg; as wide as an ocean but the depth of a puddle.

I'm sorry, but I wanted to like this show, but it needs some major work if it wants to keep me watching.

Currently watching S1. Clearly good, but doesnt come close to STD visuals.

If there's any compression it would still dip the quality.

....visuals are cinematography?

I don't think I am going to make it to episode 4

It's been background music so far

>name a show with better visuals
>WHAT ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE

wasn't even mentioned, jesus

> Humanity unlocks 100% brain power.webm

I miss Defiance. I also miss her lezzing out with Stahma.

It's such a cockup. "Look, her is our lead! Woman! Black! Male name! SO AMAZING.
LOOK!
She standing, and we got special effects. Camera shwooooom. Fuck it up with artifacts real good. Wheeeeeeeeeeee let's pact suicide! for real this time! on the count of three we'll pull the trigger.

/STD/

As the guy made that grid i really hate how low bitrate both cable and streaming are.

Watching a bluray is like watching a different series. The Expanse is mind blowing on bluray and i can't wait to see STD on bluray.

Actual attractive women, actual non-anthropomorphic aliens, cooler tech. But comparing live action to god's medium is unfair.

STD is doing pretty well but needs a little more lighting imo. Everyone's in the dark all the time for some reason, and all the blue filters yuck.

>DIS

mfw I'd be OK with a female data.

Looks better than most movies

Stop caring about visuals in a visual medium.

It's literally the best three first episodes of any Star Trek series by miles. Though that isn't an enormous accomplishment.

Why are you attacking people for pointing out it looks good? What's wrong with you.

I think they may have had too much fun with the budget.

>What about the writing? The acting? The story? The cinematography? Sound editing?
The cinematography and sound editing are both pretty good.

The acting is pretty much on par with every other Trek series aside from TNG. Jason Isaacs, Michelle Yeoh and Doug Jones are all pretty solid. Anthony Rapp was oddly not that good in episode 3, but he's actually a very good actor, so I think he might get into his role more as we go along.
SM Green and Cadet Titty need some serious work though.

I think the story might be pretty good as we go along, but the dialogue has ranged from poor to decent, so those are valid complaints. It's not like you can't appreciate one aspect without being critical of the rest though, and visuals are the primary language of film.

>these visuals are worse than STD
Need your eyes checked

I want more weird aliens, other than Saru and Klingons, to get long scenes. Everything else has been in the background or in a 2 second shot.

Show me the one for the pilot. I know you have it.

Some particles flying around are as cheap as your sisters ass. You don't even need a real budget for that.

Generic video game CG

Wait, how does this have general? I thought this show was really bad. Should i give it a chance? It has under 7 on imdb which for TV show is really really low.

Have enjoyed Orville though.

Not him but the CG in the expanse is atrocious compared to STD, and it's got pretty flat cinematography and is even heavier on the blue filters. I like the expanse, I'm just being impartial here.

No-one even mentioned it was *just* visuals, sperg.

visuals are more than muh grafix

Not him but STD is still better.

I realy liked the first three episodes of TOS. Why are people so eager to shit on them? I'll give you every other series, but the first three episodes of TOS were great sci-fi.

Jason Isaacs has definitely been the standout, he sells the sometimes pretty trite dialogue really well. Yeoh is a good actress but I didn't like her much in this, might be the accent.

Sorry if The Expanse doesn't have JJFlare

It's probably the best thing airing right now honestly. Most people talking shit about it here make it obvious they haven't watched it.

Fuck yeah salt vampires, it'd be hilarious to see a serious version of that in Discovery.

>gods medium

Firefly and Farscape had more interesting flight/action scenes than this more than ten years ago.

Camp.

I'm talking about what they become. Y'know, cities and stuff.

>STD

It's not as bad as people say it is. I've enjoyed all 3 episodes

Does the lead actress have enough charisma to lead the show? I remember her on walking dead and she isn't that good.

What does /STDISOVARY/ think of the title sequence?

youtube.com/watch?v=un1v0i_WEhY

It's good, also I'm extremely sorry you're watching that other shit.

Could they have found an uglier black chick? I'm honestly impressed.

Yeah, she just made angry faces and let her mouth hang open all day.

Westworld is pretty close.

really boring

>Have enjoyed Orville though.
me too user

Believe me i am from /3 and I've done compositing too.
Its just a couple of particle effects combined with some blending of different scenes. Nothing too fancy, nothing too cheap, something the trainee can do.

>Depriving yourself
I envy you, honestly. All of that 11/10 material waiting to be discovered. I bet you haven't even watched LoGH yet. Is there a better show in existence? Not sure.

why can't they act

She's not great but not terrible either, just is. However, the three white male actors look pretty strong so far.

>11% have rated it 1/10 on imdb

>Syfy budget
Nah, I don't think so, user

Weakish opening, good third episode, it's still Star Trek so of course people are watching it

Jason Isaacs can act

Yeah the white guys aren't bad.

i went to look again and it has risen to 7.3. Was something like 6.6 when i first looked so i didn't give it a chance.

I don't really mind if it's not faithful to the star trek as long as it's good scifi show. Gonna have to give it a chance.

Green-Martin isn't such a bad actress, it feels like Janeway syndrome where her character is just too schizophrenically written. She's definitely not the strongest cast member, but Yeoh, Isaacs, and Titty have been good, and I know Rapp is a good actor.

Have fun, user, be sure to stick around for the third episode as that seems to be where the series actually starts

Honestly my assumption is it got instaspammed with 1 ratings from people who were annoyed by all of the SJW social media posts and articles related to the series, because it's actually pretty good. Either way, ratings are shit, some of my favorite stuff has 4-6 ratings on their sites. The average person is a pleb.

Anime would be good, except:
>90% of the time art style is awkward and unappealing
>Japanese language is foul
>most characters are stereotypes withing the medium
>good shit is extremely hard to find
>fan base is weaponize autism
And I tend to not like the writing
Western cartoons, on the other hand...

>I bet you haven't even watched LoGH yet. Is there a better show in existence?
Not sci-fi, but there are better anime in other genres, and there are sci-fi anime with better art direction and sakuga. It's still probably the best sci-fi anime overall though.

did you know Star Trek 4 was nominated for Best Cinematography?

The Klingons were awesome in the first two as well. Can't wait to see more of them, hoping for some depth from their perspective sort of like what we got with the Cardies in DS9.

In name only.

I like it but jesus christ the Earth Cult is the biggest wet fart of a plot line ever.

I can't believe after like 100 episodes their big plan was "run into a guys house and shoot him"

No one cares about Star Trek.

This is a STD thread.

Did you know that Threshold won an Emmy?

to be fair, Tom's makeup when he's dying is awesome

we have only seen him briefly and it doesn't look like he is absorbing any energy from the cast

there is no synergy

It s also obvious he is the guy who was the judge who court martial'd micheal

I don't want this to be a big twist

>it's actually pretty good
I don't think we're watching the same show.

Yes, like TNG, and ENT were at the time. Get over it.

The academy awards are a farce.

Why is that lady called Michael?
I don't get it.
Why does nobody except that adorable redhead even mention it?

It's weird enough that the redhead remarks on how weird it is, but unremarkable enough that nobody seems confused by it?

Most of the best science fiction material is in anime, particularly in 80s OVAs and series from '95-'04

There's more than one good western cartoon? Aeon Flux and...

I agree that there's better anime but you probably wouldn't agree with what I think is better.

Hahaha, no. You numale millennials are hilarious.

>Japanese language is foul

that's what dubs are for

It DOES have good makeup for an idiotic premise. I sure believed in those weirdass salamander.

So Paris and Janeway banged as space lizards?

Good.

But almost every show has a good OP these days. It's not Game of Thrones, Daredevil or Black Sails level.

The series was cut a little short, it needed about 160 episodes to get fully fleshed out imo.

I'm hoping that the new adaptation might cover more of the story we haven't seen in the long run even if it ends up being a little bit abridged.

>imdb

Highest rated by females 18-29
Lowest rated by males 45+
Lowest rated by Americans
Highest rated by non-Americans

Interesting.

What's wrong with it?