Based Marcus Aurelius Stoicism Thread

seinfeld.co/library/meditations.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=yXcmkSqAqTI

If you haven't read (or listened) to Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, then you need to. Aurelius is considered the foremost authority on the philosophy of Stoicism, despite being one of the last Stoics.

Stoicism teaches the development of self-control and fortitude as a means of overcoming destructive emotions; the philosophy holds that becoming a clear, unbiased thinker allows one to understand the universal reason (logos).

A primary aspect of Stoicism involves improving the individual's ethical and moral well-being: "Virtue consists in a will that is in agreement with Nature."

This principle also applies to the realm of interpersonal relationships; "to be free from anger, envy, and jealousy," and to accept even slaves as "equals of other men, because all men alike are products of nature."

Quotes from Aurelius:

>“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”

>“The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.”

>“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”

>“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

>“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

>“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”

>“Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking.”

>“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”

>“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.”

Read some based Aurelius, Sup Forums, if you already have not. He speaks on strength of mind, fighting degeneracy, and leading a purposeful yet reasoned life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLD09Qa3kMk&list=PL860E6C2164FCD8B9
philaletheians.co.uk/study-notes/living-the-life/marcus-aurelius'-meditations-tr.-casaubon.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=nLD09Qa3kMk&list=PL860E6C2164FCD8B9

Nice.

Meditations is one of the books I am currently reading. It's very fascinating to me that this Roman emperor had such noble ideals; he could have been a tyrant as were many other men with such power, but he shunned fame and extravagance. One of my favorite quotes is accredited to him:

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also. "

Being a person who was raised in poverty and who has dealt with hardship, Marcus' words, and the Stoic philosophy in general, are comforting in helping one accept that some things in life are beyond control. Once we accept it, we can choose to either lift ourselves up and persevere, or we can dwell on negativity and suffer. I, for one, choose to better myself, to become the greatest version of myself that I can be.

My favorite quote.

This is basically the way I think of deities.

Stoicism = Proto Fascism.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?

good contribution leaf.

Personally I don't think I'd ever be able to have the mindset of a Stoic philosopher to determine how to steer my life. My battered ego cries too loud

SPQR GOAT
P
Q
R

G
O
A
T

Quality thread

Based Marcus is based

Some of it's good, but I found a lot of it to be pretty esoteric and unrelatable. You have to remember that this guy was roman emperor and that these were personal memoirs and not meant to be published. He was also roleplaying as a greek philosopher which is kind of annoying. Stoicism in general is kind of like 'just b urself' : the philosophy. Kind of pleb tier if taken on its own

>Stoicism in general is kind of like 'just b urself' : the philosophy

Stoicism was founded by Zeno and his philosophy was popular among Roman emperors like Aurelius. Sadly the philosophy was banned by Kike worshiper Justinian because "it went against the judeo-christian" dogma, which is ironic because a lot of Christian morals were derived from stoicism

Can anyone recommend a good hard copy version of this?
Is the hard copy version on Amazon any good?

Trying to build my library desu

I had embraced stoicism before knowing it had a name.
Sad this isn't the base state of everybody else.

The book in this picture was purchased from Amazon, and I think it looks impressive in a library. However, the hard copy version of this book is heavily edited and written in more plain form of language. The soft cover version doesn't look as neat on a bookshelf, but the writing is more regal and no content has been cut out.

>and to accept even slaves as "equals of other men, because all men alike are products of nature."

no thanks commie, go shill your nigger cuck shit somewhere else. equality is a bogus meme

Is it worth it to just get both?

I think the soft cover is literally $1

>>“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
>muh relativism

fuck this Marxist faggot

So he predicted empiricism 1500 years before it existed?

Pretty based desu

The only slaves in his times were fellow humans.
Even the few subhumans he encountered were obviously the cream of the crop, and so that he assumed all humanoids were humans is to be excused.
If he had access to internet and so the true nature of the subhumans, make no mistake that he would have advocated for genocidal fascism.

I mistakenly bought the hard cover because it looked cool thinking there was no difference in the text between hard & soft, but I don't think the overall message was lost in any way. If I ever want to read the long regal version, there is a free PDF version for free online if you google it.

No, that's the scientific method. "Do not trust your senses or the senses of others, for they are untrustworthy".

That's the basis for our declaration of independence. Thomas Jefferson and Franklin both studied the Roman philosophies in the original latin and greek

Kill yourself

Good to know
thanks user

In fact, I can just link it here:

philaletheians.co.uk/study-notes/living-the-life/marcus-aurelius'-meditations-tr.-casaubon.pdf

I don't think ideas or philosophies are necessarily "created", they just become more defined and written record under some official designation.

>equality is the basis for our declaration of independence

is that why women couldn't vote and niggers were only designated 3/5ths person rights and Jefferson had slaves? America was never meant to be a nation of niggers and the founding fathers would probably turn over in their graves if they saw we were giving Muslims equal rights.

you fell for the Amerijew public school propaganda

Here's the difference between soft & hard cover.

>the leaf shitposts again

No Stoicism is about not letting that which is allotted to you affect you negatively. It is the idea of self-control in the face of a world that is out of your control.

I know it sounds basic, but you'd be surprised by how much people lack Stoicism.

You understand that it's supposed to be taken in context. Marcus Aurelius led a war against the steppe nigger parthians at their zenith to save his people from conquest. It's a matter of not letting yourself languish in misery, not a matter of letting Jamal fuck your girl.

That's pretty damn stark
I wonder if there's a hard cover version that isn't watered down like that

I must say he does make himself look ignorant when he states, "That when I had an inclination for philosophy, I did not fall into the hands of any sophist, and that I did not waste my time on the study of literature, or resolving intellectual puzzles, or occupy myself with examining the movements of the heavens; for all these things require the help of the Gods, and fortune."

I am listening to the audio book at the moment. It is very good despite the above disagreement.

Marcus Aurelius is a cuck. His wife wanted to fuck gladiators and he let her.

Truly an intellectual of the highest caliber.

>is that why women couldn't vote and niggers were only designated 3/5ths person rights and Jefferson had slaves?
Women couldn't vote because... it says "all men are created equal". Anyone who's been with a woman on her period knows why they shouldn't vote. The cycle of the moon could change an election one way or another.

As for "3/5ths of a person", that was actually a disagreement with regard to representation. The North believed that a slave shouldn't represent a citizen in the census, but the South believed they should since it would give the Southern states more reps in the House. They made what is known as the 3/5ths Compromise over this.

The thinking emperor's fetish. Meanwhile, he had access to the freshest boipussy.