Dunno if I'm just too late or something, but I don't see much talking about this movie. What did you guys think?

Dunno if I'm just too late or something, but I don't see much talking about this movie. What did you guys think?

I actually thought it was really well done, Maui was a legit great character and god damn is his song catchy youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/news/1590280/the-hilarious-character-moana-almost-cut-and-why
smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-story-moana-and-maui-holds-against-cultural-truths-180961258/
vimeo.com/194029593
youtube.com/watch?v=6FgCjT2xk4I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was fun and pretty but it felt like it was missing something. I liked moana she felt human from how she reacted to everything and I'm sure people appreciate that she had no love interest and cared about her people.

She really should have been the deuteragonist, the movie probably would have felt much more fluid if we were following the banished demigod from the start.

Moana herself was pretty refreshing in not having to overcome the stagnant 'male villagers oppressing me' kind of story, but she felt pretty boring as a character

I haven't seen it, myself. but I got the impression from osmosis that it doesn't really have any "heart". Like, it was an engineered Disney Princess movie instead of something made with real art.

>it was an engineered Disney Princess movie

I don't know, I think if it were an engineered movie they would've had a traditional plot line with a romantic duo instead of a platonic one.

>Bowie crab gets like 5 minutes of screentime

>It was fun and pretty but it felt like it was missing something
>it doesn't really have any "heart"

I felt like the core of the movie is very solid - Moana, her quest, the world, everyone's motivations, the musical sequences, etc.

It's the little things that drag it down from being perfect

>Not one but two silly animal sidekicks, one of which is a bait-and-switch for toys and disappears for most of the movie
>Dialog is a bit too "hip and modern" at times (twitter joke)
>Too many meta jokes about the disney princess formula (definition of princess, pointing out the singing in normal dialog
>Bad autotune credits

Overall much better than Frozen, but not quite as good as Tangled.

there was a lot of talk about it for a week or two

but it apparently didn't appeal enough to the waifufags to keep discussion going past "boy this sure was good huh"

i think the movie would have been better with a better central antagonist. the demon gets foreshadowed a little bit, but the journey and most of the movie doesn't feel like they're fighting anything big or important. i mean the flight of the concords crab was my favorite part of the movie, imagine if the final boss was similar

Dwayne johnson did better than i thought he would at voice acting. He and Moanas VA had good chemistry.

The crab needs more love.

CONSIDER

can we all agree that maui is cute? he's cute!!

anuddah breddy gud didney flick

Quality over quantity, user.

Here. Have a little crab snippet from the book.

>being so ugly that your mother tries to murder you
>cute

>good music
>good visuals
>okay characters
>terrible plot, story, and pacing
>nothing extraordinary that would have a lasting effect on an audience

Not a lot to discuss. Movie was bland.

i-if his mother never got to witness his overwhelming cuteness, then that's her loss.
;_;

Basically, yeah, it was a bland movie. Not terrible but not very captivating.

The opening song also really bothers me, but I can't really put why into words.

> that feel when it's actually pretty solid advice

>crab is supposed to be an enemy
>crab has the most solid idea of self-identity in a story about accepting yourself

Fucking dumb story

>ITT: its bad bad, but idk why

its Disney so it must be bad? r-right?

It's bad because the plot was garbage. The first act was over a third of the movie. The plot was revealed within the first few minutes without a single twist. The characters were predictable and the ending was predictable and there was no emotional investment in the journey as the main characters never really suffered and Moana was a complete character before she started her journey.

Better?

>plot follows 3 act structure
>first act takes up a third of the movie
wow

it has more plot holes than swiss cheese, but aesthetically speaking it is amazing.

It lacked believable conflict. None of the characters were ever in any real danger and everything wrapped up a little too neatly in the end.

>Not one but two silly animal sidekicks, one of which is a bait-and-switch for toys and disappears for most of the movie
This made me unreasonably mad, which is a shame because I really liked this movie. That fucking pig got an insane amount on marketing and trailer time, and ended up doing fuck-all in the movie. Olaf was blatant toy-bait too, but at least he DID shit

the plot, and the animals' role in it, were changed after toy designs were in and production started

hence why toy Hei Hei looks like a pissed off cunt and not a retard

Source? I believe you, I just wanna read the rationale

I suppose I can agree it lacks an engaging emotional experience.
But engineered is a bit too cynical.
Cars 2 was 'engineered'

here's an interview about the change to Hei Hei's character, I'll see if I can dig up something about the pig getting cut down

missing a link lel

aaaaand I forgot the link
cinemablend.com/news/1590280/the-hilarious-character-moana-almost-cut-and-why

thx m8

choppy plot but fun.
Not a great title but they have made worse.

>Western Polynesia—the islands closest to Australia and New Guinea—were colonized around 3,500 years ago. But the islands of Central and Eastern Polynesia were not settled until 1,500 to 500 years ago. This means that after arriving in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, Polynesians took a break—for almost 2,000 years—before voyaging forth again.

>Then when they did start again, they did so with a vengeance: archaeological evidence suggests that within a century or so after venturing forth, Polynesians discovered and settled nearly every inhabitable island in the central and eastern Pacific.

>Nobody knows the reason for The Long Pause, or why the Polynesians started voyaging again.

If people knew the history Moana is suppose to act as a filler, would it change the perception?

about sums it up.

whats the sauce on that green?

smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-story-moana-and-maui-holds-against-cultural-truths-180961258/

good lookin out my melanin brethren

Probably not. A movie should be judged on its own merits.

that passage is horny as fuck desu

>"old friend"

>tfw we will never learn more about maui and tamatoa's past friendship/vague camaraderie

So was Ta Ka actually being Tefiti in the original legend they based the movie on or something ? I thought it was super dumb that Maui introduced the character as Ta Ka and the twist was that he didn't know what he was talking about . Kinda lame ending. 'How Far I'll Go ' is a based song however

if maui is the one who "awakened" te ka and was immediately smote out of the sky afterward, not to be heard from for 1000 years

how likely is it that gramma tala would also know the name although i suppose "te ka" is a super literal name so it wouldn't be too impossible, and how would this legend even be spread in the first place

Spread of word probably. Monsters attacked sailors and since monsters can talk, maybe humans heard the story from them.

Would the movie have been better with the genders flipped?

Like Jekyll and Hyde. Same person but the story treats them different.

>Losing the Bowie crab

No.

>At one point in the story development, Moana had 9 older brothers, who sailed off leaving Moana behind, and who Moana eventually had to rescue!

Bro No.1 = The leader, most like his father.

Bro No.2 = The warrior.

Bro No.3 = The artist and dreamer, and who Moana feels closest to.

Third bro a cute.

Bro No.4 = The easygoing lovable big guy.

Bro No.5 & 6 = Twins who were amazing at rowing in synchronicity.

Bro No.7 = The lady’s man who was a great dancer.

Bro No.8 = The annoying loud one.

Bro No.9 = The aloof weird one.

And Moana’s the 10th child of the chieftain, and the first daughter.

Lost husbando opportunities.

Nine boys, one girl; wouldn't trade it for the world.

I wonder if they cut them to save on modeling/animation costs.

Maybe.

Now that I think about it, was there a previous Disney movie with a bunch (More than 4) of main human characters that aren't generic background fodder?

>save on costs
nah, it's disney. chances are that they got cut because it made the story too complicated or they couldn't do something interesting with them.

I liked the Crabs Song

>patrician tier
I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)
Where You Are
Know Who You Are

>normie tier
You're Welcome
Shiny

>plebeian tier
How Far I'll Go
We Know the Way

One sister having this many brothers reminds me of the The Six Swans story. That would make a neat movie.

>be village chieftain
>lost your friend due to boating accident
>9 of your children missing in action
>grandma actively encouraging your daughter to meet her brothers' fates

would have been too dark for Disney

>nah, it's disney.

Did you forget how they intentionally designed Anna and Elsa to have braids so their hair would be easier to animate?

was this in the movie?

In music form.

Moana's brothers died so that her hair might live

fair trade

gramma still used her own death as a distraction so moana could sneak away

gramma tala was a team player

vimeo.com/194029593

that is correct. animators spend so much time fixing Zootopia they had no time to polish Moana, and we got unintentional "cameos" from Frozen and Zoo in Moana.

>Not ranking We Know the Way at the top
Someone needs to wayfind their way to good taste.

We Know the Way would be a lot better if LMM wasn't singing it

>The creepy mask monster is really Flash with a mask from Zootopia.
>Snow monster from Frozen roaming in the background of the monster world.

That's pretty funny desu.

I'll never not be butthurt about all the shipping we were denied because he's a crab rather than humanoid.

>maui and tamatoa's past friendship/vague camaraderie

i think it's more like frenemies. Maui did rip off one of Tama's legs afterall. and then.. tama started modeling himself after maui I guess? He has that line in the song about how he decided to bling himself out after seeing Maui's tats.

Kind of a love hate relationship.

yeah, the gods don't give people tattoos for ripping off their friend's leg.

>IN THE LOUD HOUSE

more like a sign they dont give a fuck anymore.

They needed a scene where they saw a dead island. Something to drive home how bad Maui screwed up and to put the pressure on Moana.

I don't think you understand the way 3-act structure is supposed to work. The longest act should be the second act, especially in a "hero's journey" type story.

Maybe this visual will help you

Are you sure you watched the movie? Moana was NEVER sure about what she was doing until she dove into the climax. And Maui was surprisingly well done. The actions and developments were all believable, and claiming the ending was expected is a bit bullshit.

>and claiming the ending was expected is a bit bullshit.
This you first movie? The only unexpected thing was Maui coming back with no explanation.

Yeah, old disney NEVER had cameos! Scar wasn't in Hercules! Belle wasn't in Hunchback! Aladdin didn't have goofy hats and Sebastion the crab, among other cameos!

And here we go again. "Lol, totally saw it coming even though I have no explanation and it wasn't hinted at before!" Get out of here with your post-rational bullshit.

>Belle wasn't in Hunchback! Aladdin didn't have goofy hats and Sebastion the crab, among other cameos!
When were these two? That's kinda cool

The video is super cringe, but here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=6FgCjT2xk4I

opening song....CONSIDER THE COCONUT?

>without a single twist

I KNOW YOUR NAME

makes me wonder....any interesting happenings on the other side of the world/Mediterranean/Americas/China/Egypt from 3500BC to 1500BC?

Were they affected by the theft of the heart as well?

"Love yourself" is a lesson for fat tumblrtards. Self-acceptance is a moral. Self-love is vanity. You can always do better.

all of the songs would be a lot better if LMM weren't writing them

I don't know, saying you can't love yourself if you're ugly is kind of anti-tumblr.

No, "love yourself and claim everyone else is just bullying you if they think you are ugly/unhealthy" is a lesson for fat tumblrtards. If you're cool with being fat, that's fine, just don't act like it isn't fair that people think you're fat and ugly for being fat.

What the fuck kind of argument is this?

Sorry that I know storytelling better than you do, and that this movie was Disney Checkboxes 101.

That wasn't a twist. The fact that there was no backstory or explanation about Te Ka made it pretty obvious.

>crab considered himself ugly
>crab worked hard collecting shiny shit to make himself look better
>crab knows he looks amazing now because he worked hard and loves himself for how great he looks
>"NO, KIDS, THIS IS THE BAD MORAL!"

I think I get what they were going for with her character, in that, while she did not possess any actual technical ability that would help her succeed in this quest, the point of her being the one to go on it was so that she could learn what she would need to kick start the explorer revolution for her people when she eventually returned.

She didn't really have any crippling personal problems; she just needed something to happen for her. And I liked how her home and people weren't being depicted as holding her back, and that her inability to pursue her dream was simply because the times and circumstances weren't right. I mean, how many people in the past have been held back from achieving their dreams because the technology and knowledge around them wasn't up to snuff?

But yeah, she seemed more like a vehicle for these ideas and values rather than a character of her own. That said, I thought she was alright the way she was done. Like, that last scene with her having to be comforted by her grandma in her moment of doubt? I know some guys here complained about how simply that problem was resolved, but as she went on this journey knowing that she didn't really have any qualifications that justified her taking on the task, giving her a moment's reprieve to reconsider whether she really wanted to keep going or not was the best way to resolve that issue.

See pic related and the story it's from. I'd say the message here is about the same, just not as poignant since, unlike pic related, Moana really wasn't much of a failure as a person herself nor was her own ineptitude for the task at hand ever really highlighted beyond her first voyage to find Maui.

I mean, the good part of the advice is 'taking care of yourself' and 'become something you can be proud of'. It's only really bad when you take it to an extreme, but you can say the same thing about anything else.

Except that it was indicated Te Ka was just another monster after the Heart like everyone else.

>still hasn't explained how there was any indication of the twist
>"lol, I just know!"
Damn, this is getting sad. Bet you totally saw the twist in the Sixth Sense coming a mile away, you clairvoyant you.