Unpopular opinions

CGI, if used properly, is actually far superior to practical effects. The only reason people prefer prakticals is because of nostaliga.

well therein lies the problem. CGI is rarely ever used properly.

>If used properly
But it never is. It's used to save money by reducing the number of filming locations needed, and the result is that you end up with environments that look like sterile, washed out representations of what they're supposed to be.

Pic related, it's a great example of CGI being "used properly", 11 goddamned years ago.

American Made was better and more enjoyable than Narcos.

>uses The Thing as an example
>one of the best uses of practical effects of all time
>totally used practical effects for the prequel
>studio execs watch the test reels and order them to cover everything up with CGI

I will never not be mad about this

Why isn't he giving an example? What is he talking about? Why is he posting?

but why
CGI is expensive, it was not the best CGI but it still looked expensive, why do that when the practical effect looked great?

Do the idiots itt know what a unpopular opinion thread is? There is no implied obligation for anyone to defend their position it’s just a place to funpost things you think not many people would agree with.

when properly applied, practical effects are superior. sure, not all the effects in the thing have aged well, but the ones in the darker scenes are still very convincing (see webm).

modern practical effects are also far superior to what they could do back then thanks to advancements in robotics and plastics. i'm convinced that in the hands of skilled artists practical effects can look terrifying.

>unpopular opinions
I think what you meant to say was factually untrue statements.
This

But there was never any implied obligation to not criticize said unpopular opinions either. I mean, I've seen a ton of these kind of threads and people do that anyway.

Unpopular opinion
Liked new Mummy, not just coz of Sofia but as whole story. It was creative and not directly ripped from older ones. Set summoning, dagger ritual etc. Really liked tomb discovery and plane crash scenes. Church and catacombs ending had a lot of gothic romance horror feeling. These things were good enough to ignore stupid humor and Prodigium bits.
Go on, smash me... or should I say "mummify me alive" for this.

>if used properly

It never will be

The Transformers films are fun and the most recent installment, 'the Last Knight' was good.

Haha it looks like a low budget ps2 game

Came here to post this example. Jones is still king.

The problem isn't choosing either CGI or practical effects. It's that CGI is never used sparingly enough and practical effects just isn't used at all anymore. The best effects are a blend of both CGI and practical effects. Using only one of them almost never looks realistic. I believe the best ratio is somewhere around 35% CGI, 65% practical effects. The best examples are Jurassic Park and T2.

It barely qualifies as a film Bay did not give a single shit.

it was entertaining though

the effects in The Thing were covered in slime and usually obscured by shadows, which allowed the lighting to give presence to the props. they felt real, whereas the CGI lighting tried to show every pixel of The Thing and it ruined the illusion. it was like watching a cartoon.

The lighting always looks better in practical effects.

CGI can be great, don't get me wrong. But when's the last time you saw a CGI effect in low key lighting? Or in smoky, hazy light?

With CGI the lighting is always perfect. Everything is perfectly lit and perfectly visible and nothing is overexposed, nothing is underexposed, and any smoke from an explosion which should be significantly darkening the image and casting dozens of jacob ladders doesn't affect the lighting at all because selling a shot as realistic isn't as important as making it look like a high-key, three point lighting set up from a sitcom.

>Rick and Morty season 1 and 2 are hilarious (3 was indeed terrible, though)
>Solaris with Clooney was better than the original
>Batman v Superman was a good movie
>The Matrix sequels are fucking fantastic (just not quite as fantastic as the first one)
>The Force Awakens was way better than Rogue One

CGI costs are the easiest way to launder money

This is the root of it. CGI lighting is very limited even today and will always stand out. Even if the practical effect is obviously a guy in a suit he will look more real because film is capturing him in light that matches the rest of the scene