Just finished watching Band of Brothers. Thinking of starting The Pacific. I thought Band of Brothers was just amazing...

Just finished watching Band of Brothers. Thinking of starting The Pacific. I thought Band of Brothers was just amazing. Is the Pacific really just as good?

Both of those are the best WW2 kino.

Good but not as good

Love BoB, watch it once a year. Couldn't even get through The Pacific.

Band of Brothers > Generation Kill > Pacific

yes I know that GK

Why couln't you get through it?

GK isnt WW2*
I'm guessing around section around Melbourne
The start is good and the end is good but the mid is just so eh

Well if the end is good I'll stick it out.

I found the Pacific is harder to get attached to because you follow different soldiers in different regiments while in BoB you follow Easy Company.

Pacific gets better after the halfway point when replacements arrive

4th post best post
The pacific theater of war was kind of boring since they were fighting for some shitty islands, while in Europe they were fighting to liberate it and beat the russians.

The Pacific gets really good about halfway through when they introduce Eugene Sledge as a main character, up until then it can be somewhat boring as none of the other main cast are that interesting, but it's definitely worth a watch.

It's worth watching but prepare for disappointment.

the pacific is more like a collection of short stories rather than a cohesive story like BoB. i found them all pretty memorable though and i haven't watched pacific since it aired.

It's a bit different and maybe not as good as BoB but still great imo.
I recently watched the Pacific for the second time and i liked it better than I did watching it the first time for some reason

Depends. If youre looking for a "fun ride through Europe with the boys", the Pacific will disappoint you.

The Guadalacanal campaign was a brutal battle for survival against a superior Japanese Force (at the start). The entire series is about how ruthless and gut wrenching the Pacific theatre was for the young marines in the jungle islands.

BoB is literally about a couple of good friends who explore Europe together and had one harsh moment, which was Bastogne, where the German offensive halted due to lack of petrol.

They really should have just focused on Eugene instead of Lecky and basilone. The book Eugene wrote is absolutely insane and the show only covered like 20% of it.

Besides the same Stateside bond-selling drudgery that plagued Flags of our Fathers, Basilone's parts were based.

>you will never slap a jap

those stateside bits where basically his whole part. he had about 20 seconds of gunning down japs at the beginning and about 10 seconds where he was on iwo jima before getting killed. his story didn't need to be in it.

The Pacific is grittier

img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1414/66/1414661333576.webm

>Is the Pacific really just as good?
I strongly disagreed after watching

Bob is about brotherhood in war, pacific is about loneliness. A very different thing tonally. Don't expect uplifting feels

>Buzzfeed

I actually prefer The Pacific slightly.

He's not wrong though.

Also couldn't get through.
BoB was amazing and heartwarming.
Pacific was just episode on episode of killing japs, displaying them as stupid and inhuman.
I mean maybe they had run battalions of soldiers run into US machine gun fire. But that's such a boring thing to focus on. The enemy had no character whereas the Germans in BoB did.(see christmas carol trench scene for example).

>Is the Pacific really just as good?
I don't think its "as good" but its still pretty good.

It's a much smaller main cast though.

It would have been a lot better if it had just followed Sledge's platoon through the entire war. But the Marine Corps has such a big dick for Basilone there was no way it would have gotten produced if he wasn't in it.

Leckie's character arc is only in there because his memoir is like 30% of the source material

GK>Band of Brothers>The Pacific.

Basilone was indeed a badass, and his scene in the show was GOAT

The Pacific is pretty garbo. None of the characters are likeable and it really misses out on everything by having it be about marine infantry.

There's like two character in The Pacific that actually stand out. It feels like you're following one guy through the war rather than following a unit through the war like in Band of Brothers.
The intro to The Pacific is fucking awesome and way better than BoB's, though.

I personally found the second half of the pacific to be superior than BoB.
Once they introduced Eugene, that's when the serie shined the most. I kinda liked how they dwell a little on his ptsd.
Guadacanal, Iwo Jima, Leckie and basilone felt forced because muh marines! but i do have to say the scene with basilone was kino.
After reading sledge's book, they should have focused mainly on his book