twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Jess

Second for Hes

Third for Cam

Fourth for Spam

Fifth for Barrowmamn

I tried to make it rhyme okay?

6th for jenna

Seventh for Processed Ham and something rhyming with Jenna. You two really fucked this.

8th for this miss

rhymes with this

9th for this piss

he's ugly

11th for Raxacoricofallapatorian.

1/5

I listened to “All Hands on Deck”. A lot to unpack here. This will cover spoilers of all of 8’s audios, I’ll just spoiler mark everything since I know some people like McGanon are avoiding 8 audio spoilers.

Back in the audio EDAs, I applauded Big Finish for tackling Susan head-on, including her, having her meet up properly with the Doctor again (and not in a very rushed way like The Five Doctors), elaborating on her life post-The Dalek Invasion of Earth, and actually using her as an important character in new Doctor Who stories.

Except…did they actually tackle her head on? Phil Sandifer uses a Neil Gaiman quote about Susan Penvensie to define the issues surrounding Susan as “the Problem of Susan”, the difficulty writers have with really digging into Susan as a character, considering the implications of her being the Doctor’s grandaughter and an active agent in her own right, the conflict that the existence of Susan presents later characterisations of the Doctor, and so on. I think Big Finish get credit for addressing the “Problem of Susan” merely by using her at all, but I remain hesitant to give them that much credit.

Did they really have her meet up properly with the Doctor again? For allthey're together in EDA S4, they never stop and have an actual proper conversation about their lives, their past, Gallifrey and so on. They talk about the active plot of the day, or they talk obliquely in continuity references. Some of the best writing in Doctor Who has come from writers unafraid to leave their mark and upset the status quo, just look at Holmes or Moffat. Big Finish can coast off using her at all, but I do not believe they truly iterated on the character in any meaningful way.

Were her interactions with 8 really that much less rushed than The Five Doctors? They certainly never stopped to have an actual conversation revealing substantial depths to their characters or pasts we weren’t aware of at the very least implicitly before.

It's over, lym.

2/5

Did it really elaborate on her life much? I’ll give them that to a degree, they did work on the worldbuilding of Earth post-The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Did it really use her as an important character? She was immediately sidelined by her son, Alex, and the biggest problem of all comes for me here. Lucie Miller’s death works very well in To the Death, it is a big moment in Doctor Who and perfectly played. Tamsin’s death works in a very different way, almost the opposite way, but it works as well. Both deaths feel real and characters react with the appropriate emotional responses. But when Alex dies, all we seem to get is Susan screaming. Once. Her last conversation with 8 resorts back to “reference past continuity” mode as a retread of the “one day, I shall come back” speech is trotted out again, and the both of them refuse to act like actual characters with actual emotions. Her son died. His great-grandson died. And they basically don’t comment on it at all. For all the strengths of To the Death, I fear it falls into that disappointing tradition of Doctor Who stories so adrift from realistic emotional responses (such as Amy and Rory’s relatively casual attitude to the events of Series 6) that it breaks the immersion and the story itself.

So, enter All Hands on Deck. A story entirely from Susan’s perspective elaborating on her life post-To the Death. There was a real opportunity here to “right the wrongs” of her past characterisations, so to speak. To really elaborate on her psyche, how she coped post-To the Death. The format of Short Trips gives the entire story to Carole Ann Ford, giving her and the writer all the room to make the story entirely about her and her psychology, as much as 12 had Heaven Sent to himself, if not more, considering the more intimate circumstances smaller-scale audios like this are written in. So, how did the audio do?

14th for hiss

3/5

It starts out contorting past continuity references, the standard mode of operation for Big Finish, but does it well enough. Susan living in Coal Hill post-To the Death is a good idea, as is Susan honouring Ian and Barbara’s grave through the oak tree in the courtyard there. I don’t mind the story keeping Ian and Barbara’s exact time of death ambiguous, that deserves a story of its own if or when it will be addressed seriously.

What is Susan doing with herself post-To the Death? Her employment makes sense, tinkering with technology and whatnot. She dwells on her earlier characterisation, a direction I can see making sense for someone who’s suffered so much loss, and the insights on her earlier life (listening to the radio so much because she struggled to connect with people and their endless bank of appropriate pop culture references, “Susan Campbell” being as much a title as “the Doctor”) work, as do some of the smaller insights on her older life (mantling crisis scenarios in much the same way as the Doctor).

However, when we hit the 10:00 mark, a third through the audio, and Alex hadn’t even been mentioned once…I began to lose hope. Sure enough, Alex is never mentioned. In the end she literally mentions being sad about not having any friends, yet does not mention her tragically deceased son. Susan’s husband died in a circumstance it is feasible to move on from, but her son died young and horrifically. I just cannot buy her being so cavalier about her son’s death, or her grandfather’s involvement.

It's over. I regret starting this with that Hes post, it was ruined by the folly of man.

4/5

If the story wanted to make a point about Time Lord emotional reactions being different from human emotional reactions, I’d have been game for that, but it doesn’t address it at all. Once again, it sidesteps any meaningful emotional development of the character in favour of just endlessly reworking continuity references, except now new continuity references from the revival series instead of just old continuity references from the classic series. To me, this is not a meaningful iteration on the character.

When 8 and Susan do finally cross paths in the audio, I appreciate that the moment got around ten seconds of music without dialogue, to let it breathe. McGann himself being in the audio would have been nice, it would have been maybe a dozen lines and not really broken the purity of the story being entirely from Susan’s perspective (which was never used in a meaningful way to actually develop her character anyway), but I’ll concede that isn’t of any major importance.

8 trying to stall Susan and distract her from learning of the Time War works as a story choice, but it just does not work with the past circumstances they have already encountered each other. Susan idly describes his clothes in detail and muses on his technological work, but doesn’t even think of the fact the last time she saw the Doctor, her only child died horrifically. I have a hard time buying into any attempted emotions between the two characters when the story expects me to disassociate from their last encounter so much. Why should I invest myself in any of these stories when they seem content to discount themselves so readily as long as there’s a future one to purchase?

You stole my 14.

5/5

Susan hearing just the sound of the Time War is a great sequence, and an indicator that Big Finish really are misguided when writers like Dorney trot out the “it’s impossible to depict the Time War well on audio” lines. Even this small moment of sound design communicates the horrors of the Time War so much better than television can easily do, the nature of pure audio work as a medium inherently leaves enough to the imagine that the lunacy of the Time War can be expressed well in some cases even without dialogue.

8 offers Susan the opportunity to travel with me again. This is actually a truly interesting idea for a future range. Imagine a full cast audio drama series of Susan actively being 8’s companion. This could parallel on Susan’s 1960s series in really interesting ways, develop both characters in ways the television show won’t, and be a truly fascinating and forward-thinking fount of stories for the future at Big Finish. Of course, the idea is quickly nixed. Big Finish. "We Love Stories" indeed.

It’s not all bad though, Susan’s decision to fight in the Time War actually does work for her character and the story justifies it well enough using, of course, continuity references. Depriving 8 of his agency and making a decision for him is actually a meaningful reversal of the opposite situation in The Dalek Invasion of Earth (”One day, I shall come back…”), unlike the similar scene at the ending of To the Death, where the quote is just bizarrely trotted out slightly changed, tone deaf to the actual story it appeared in.

I had high hopes for this audio. It didn’t meet them. But as ever, I’m intrigued where Big Finish will take Susan next, for better or for worse.

tl;dr

A shame

This is what I get... My reward.

Big Finish shy away from actually doing anything meaningful in their Doctor Who stories, and continue to write characters like robots who prefer to regurgitate references to past continuity instead of emotionally react like actual people. They try to coast off the legitimacy and drama of including emotionally harrowing events in their stories, but refuse to actually follow through on their emotional consequences.

I COULD HAVE DONE SO

MUCH
MORE

One kind of trip

Another kind of trip

So much more? That line was a bore. I felt that 10's personality schism really went off course.

Does anyone know anything about teamviewer?

Apparently he was actually the runner up for 11. Fantastic actor, I'd love to see him have (another) part in Doctor Who one day.

Same, absolutely.

Remember when you said Neo forces memes? Because I'm going to bookmark this thread in case you say it again.

Handy is Valeyard and the Master is dead. I think that he's play the Rani, but that's on Chibnall's own head.

Oh, I never denied it.

Besides, I'm only posting these because they're making me suffer and I don't want to suffer alone.

you know what fuck this

this is the lowest thing we'll ever get, it's all uphill from here

this general is an embarrassment

what the fuck happened ?

tfw

Jesus fucking Christ, these don't usually get to me but that one really did.

I'm reading some other reviews of All Hands on Deck now.

I really don't like the culture of reviews around Big Finish. I'd say people seem so happy to settle, but I don't think that's quite right, I think people are just getting different things out of the stories and have different expectations. But it's not a mindset I really sync with at all.

It isn't like Big Finish aren't capable of producing fantastic stories. I'm not talking about the heyday of Gary Russel's Big Finish, I'm still talking about right now. I don't even just mean how there are ancillary Doctor Who ranges of high quality (The Diary of River Song, Torchwood, etc.) without a lot of the problems the Doctor Who ranges have, but there are a lot of fantastic recent audios in their Classics range, and I imagine some of the ranges I don't listen to have great audios too. This isn't a "the past was better" thing at all.

I just don't understand statements I've read in other reviews of the Short Trip, like
> There’s a lot of long overdue payoff here from the events of The Dalek Invasion of Earth and Lucie Miller/To The Death
Where? Where was this payoff? Obliquely referencing a past story is not pay off, and the Short Trip barely did that anyway. Where was this supposed followup? I almost feel like people just feel the need to heap on obligatory praise that's really just description.

However
>If we cast our minds back, the Ninth Doctor once mentioned that there was no one left. So we could only assume that something had happened to Susan.
This is a good point from Blogtor Who and assuming Big Finish engage with it, there could be some fantastic stories told building up to that. Though I won't hold my breath.

>And now I have finally become Doctor Who

Really, Moffat? Fuck you.

Real talk though, I love this. Is there any more drawn DW art similar to this with Jodie in it?

all this does is make me realise how shit they all are compared to based capaldi

lym needs to fuck off and die.

This picture gives me hope for some reason. I love Jodie's teaser costume, even if that opinion is treason.

Your post offends me
Can you apologise?

Doctor poo

Oh and another thought, I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but I wonder if Short Trips covering 8 checking on different companions and trying to steer them away from the Time War will be a continuity development in the range? I can see the way the format lends to that. What I'd give for an actual full cast series covering that though, instead of the tripe we're getting with 8. Doom Coalition may technically (but not practically) behind us, but that 15 minute preview of his Time War Vol 1 story did not feel me with any confidence. "Do you know the feeling of dread?"

I hope 13 suffers the most, not because i dont want a female doctor, just because having a female doctor thats even darker than 12 would be fucking kino

This looks like a family photo, like Jenna is Capaldi and Michelle's kid.

im enjoying early-tier neo coming back out, its been a while since he's talked like this

I don't think 12 was dark, at least not like we expected it. I don't like to hate, but those teasers were bait.

thats one good looking fuckin family

it's selfish arrogant sociopathic cunt cant tune down his ego episode
great attitude
you're totally contributing to the thread

The look in her eye, you just KNOW they banged.

Peter Capaldi is known to be THE most hung guy in the BBC, possibly one of the biggest in the world. His cock has been described as "like an Evian bottle", with gargantuan thickness that would rival Shane Diesel and Shorty Mac. I'm estimating his size to be at least 8.5" bone pressed, with OVER 7" of girth. He would have absolutely destroyed Coleman's pussy.

They would have spent hours and hours on foreplay, getting herself wet enough just so she can take it. I can just imagine her begging for it, with Peter barely able to force it past the knob, and Coleman moaning and squirming, demanding him to force it in deeper. She would have orgasmed within seconds of taking the entire length, being filled and stretched right up to her cervix. The orgasm would have been powerful, with her vaginal muscles clamping down on Peter's throbbing monstrosity, her whole body quivering in euphoria.

I bet she still masturbates to the memory of it.

im lowkey amused at neo posting these long articulate posts like he's in an entirely different thread, meanwhile there are slapfights and shitposts galore actually here

That picture is so comfy. It makes me all warm and fluffy.

shut up fag i bet you hate clara

I hate you, not Clara

youtube.com/watch?v=-IEpy3PWH8Y
I approve of this video greatly.

does she have the best job /who/?

comfy inc youtube.com/watch?v=XCalEoil1aY

Which one?

Highly comfy indeed.

Most audios don't trigger a big reaction from me either way I suppose, so when one does I like to dig into why.

the GOAT we never got

Was the ressurection glove from "Everything Changes" of Gallifreyan origin?

Eh, I like it. But I'd prefer something a little lighter, that coat and hoodie looks impractical as fuck compared to Capaldi's much thinner hoodie. I'm expecting a pretty dark costume, and I think that would suit her most.

I doubt she'll wear a dress, and I can almost guarantee she'll wear some kind of coat/jacket as every other Doctor has. To me, she'd look best with a more flamboyant look, rather than the generic business suits everyone seems to want Doctors to wear before their costumes are revealed.

I'm getting a drawing tablet soon so I might have a go at designing my own costumes for her, or I might photoshop a few mockups. I'm really excited for the costume, but also other shit like the title sequence and theme. A lot of people don't seem to realise just how much stuff like that goes into defining a Doctor's era.

*Resurrection

I was chatting about that to an user the other week. Gonna repost a comment I made

>I like the idea Rassilon had two gauntlets, one for death-y destruction stuff, one for life-y resurrection stuff, and the life-y one got lost in the time vortex and fell out of the rift and that's how Torchwood got it...but the Torchwood one was already part of a pair and we see both of them in the end so that idea doesn't work.

mfw people are gonna complain this thread is too shitposty even though we have like 1 thread a day

>ywn work in TV let alone on a show as comfy to work on as doctor who

I think that anything she wears should be bespoke. Though saying that, an M&S turtleneck would be GOAT.

she's way to short too pull off a turtle neck desu

I suppose so. I'll leave it for my OC Doctor, though.

Please stop posting pictures of actresses without relevant discussion of their careers or roles, thank you.

w-what were they

>white knight mods only deleting the posts of women and not the actual stuff unrelated to doctor who

can i post john wiles though.

seriously, the janitors and mods get unironically tirggered if they see photos of women.

It's in the rules, perhaps you should get to reading them so that you can contribute to quality content in this general, and not whining and complaining about the mods, which is also against the rules.

How can Gomez be so hot jesus christ

it's the long hair, I reckon

>"posting off topic images of actresses is bad!"
>leaves post of a cook who has never been referenced on Doctor Who
>leaves post of a rapper who has never been referenced on Doctor Who
>leaves two posts of actual pictures of spam

what stories should we stream in my stream today? suggestions?

Has anyone taken the variation of This is Gallifrey from The Doctor Falls? I'd really like to listen to it. I love variations on that theme. The one in The Doctor's Daughter.

youtu.be/KKkw8qt14fM?t=40s

Is 13 about to get blacked?

Fancy listening to some earstories or anything in particular?

funny how everyone argues over whats spam instead of replying to the actual discussion comments in here

i'd love to do some ear stories, if you can find a link to them that'll work with cytube. anyone else interested?

No, put on Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel!

Just have the mods either delete none of the spam posting, or delete all of it. Not cherrypick just because of LE CHIVALRY.

we can do both!

I like to discuss through the medium of rhyme. It makes me smile all the time. To talk about ShitTrips, I'd enjoy. Any joyful excuse to partake in some /who/. I'd rather just shitpost, but you do you, boo.

theres no "just have the mods", the janitors will do what they will, the most regular users like us can do is report things. i just think its retarded how everyone keeps arguing over what is spam, instead of actually replying to the actual ontopic posts in the thread

I regret posting in this thread.

How come lym?