What was the point of this character? Plain suffering?

What was the point of this character? Plain suffering?

the point of all characters is drama and catharsis duh

A showcase for Michael Shannon, an adversary for Nucky, a portrayal of how corrupt the environment was that he would be so easily swayed.

He was supposed to be Nucky's main adversary from the legal sphere, who would employ various schemes, both legal and illegal, to bring him down but the reboot at the end of season 2 and the shitty writing afterwards fucked the series in the ass so bad that none of the original set up was redeemable and he limped on as a quasi middling link between Chicago and Atlantic City after they had jettisoned Michael Pitt.

THIS.

Michael Pitt was the linchpin that held the whole show together. Once he was removed, EVERY character suffered.

Frankly, they shoulda changed gears and just kept Jimmy in Chicago and focused on the war there and the rise of Capone.

>Frankly, they shoulda changed gears and just kept Jimmy in Chicago and focused on the war there and the rise of Capone.
That plan hinges on Michael Pitt not being an unreliable junkie.

Why did they fire him? Was it just because he was an arsehole?

Junkie asshole, fucked up shoots, nobody liked him, etc.

Written out of Boardwalk, Not asked to return for Hannibal, his own agent fired him as a client. 2+2

>tfw no norwegian waifu

> Punished Van Autism
> Beautiful arc of him Unjusting himself and becoming Judge Dredd tier gangster for Al Capone
> Lol at the end he is a pussy and everything that his character progressed gets forgotten or discarded

The best actors are always tortured souls (Robin Williams, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymore Hoffman, etc).

But you wouldn't know that cause you've never suffered for your art. Hell, I doubt you've loved anything more than you loved yourself.

I pity you user.

>(Robin Williams, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymore Hoffman, etc).
The only guy in that list who is a "great actor" is PSH.

and he's a junkie, so fuck him.

He's the only reason to continue watching the show after a certain point. By the end you realise he's the best actor and character in the whole show.

Robin Williams and Heath Ledger both have often been nominated for (and even won) Academy Awards for their acting.

You sound like a bitter lonely fool who needs to go back to Redd1t.

>but the reboot at the end of season 2
wait what

>Robin Williams, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymore Hoffman
All junkies with no self discipline.

>Robin Williams and Heath Ledger both have often been nominated for (and even won) Academy Awards for their acting.
So what? Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner, is she a better actress than Charlotte Gainsbourg, who hasn't won an Oscar? If you say yes, you are retarded btw.

I liked his character once he went to Chicago and became corrupted than as a Prohibition Fed

His penis got him in trouble and it went all down hill from there.

THIS
THIS

What the fuck is a "Mo'Nique"?!

Listen, the Academy Awards have a Leftist, Liberal, and Feminist agenda. Everyone knows that.

But the actor's mentioned do not fit into that bias, so their nominations are genuine. Besides, Michael Pitt has been nominated and won various acting awards outside of the Oscars. He's a tour de force and probably the single greatest actor of our time (outside of Daniel Day Lewis).

Imagine the infinite amount of ball busting fuckeries the production had to deal with during the first season while he and paz de la huerta were both on the cast

>so their nominations are genuine.
Heath Ledger got nominated for playing a gay cowboy and he got nominated and WON after he died. No agenda, uh huh.

We dont know because Terrance WInter was duped into finishing the show early to free up more budget for CGI dragons.

BE season 1 and 2 are pure TV kino, shame it kinda petered off. Season 3-5 weren't terrible, but they definitely weren't must watch for anyone.

>le everything I don't like is fake news by the kike agenda meme
I miss being a retarded 14yo

whoa, whoa why'd you have to bring the jews into this. fuck off, Sup Forums!

At least Pitt didn't throw a used tampon at the director. (that we know of)

Literally two posts ago you say
>the Academy Awards have a Leftist, Liberal, and Feminist agenda. Everyone knows that.
I stopped changing my principles to suit my argument when I was 14. Heath Ledger did not deserve that Oscar just for croaking, just like Mo'Nique did not deserve it for playing a horrible loud black woman.

>all those fucking episodes about magreeeet and her womens hospital shit that ultimately led to nothing

I remember people were bitching about BrBA and Skylar at this time, but fuck me Margaret was the worst.

EXACTLY!

That's why I hate all these bitches running their mouths. They think the whole entire show was great, but it was ONLY Seasons 1&2.

And so they forget what made it great and so I can't wait to see them in public...

Oh god, the Margaret story lines. Literally shoehorned in to stop feminists attacking the show. I wonder if those writers ever worked again.

And the guy who leaked scripts on Sup Forums

Agreed. I only kept watching the later seasons to see Al Capone and Lucky ascending to the top.

>duped

He said he got bored with the subject matter and wanted to end it so he could work on his shitty Vinyl show that was cancelled before its first season had even finished airing.

3-5 had its moments but they were packed with too many who who cares storylines

Isn't he supposed to be writing a Scarface sequel?

The entire show stays solid in S3/4, S5 is just rushed through as they were clearly wrapping things up.

The problem is that if they every had long term plans for characters or story arcs, they were clearly abandoned and the show was written one season after another with no endgame in mind. Really fucked things up.

Yeah they said if you drop this show that costs 82 million dollars to make so we can have more shitty dragons in our memeshow, you can have your significantly cheaper to produce 70s vanity project, but we wont promote it whatsoever.

Remake with Diego Luna as Tony.

I fuckin loved Nelson
>Introduced as a stand in for the legal forces attempting to take down Nucky's operation
>Turns to a life of crime and has literally no part in Nuckys story past season 1

I had a quick look at Pitt and there doesn't seem to be anything substantial behind these claims he was fired from the show. Just rumours. I felt like his story was wrapped up well though, he was on a pretty sharp downward spiral right from the start. I feel like they didn't know aht they were doing with nucky though, like they never had a clear vision for his endgame. his story kind of floats along. The final episode was stellar though and I loved getting the full backstory with him and gillian.

>and I loved getting the full backstory with him and gillian

I thought that was garbage. We already knew the whole story. No need to waste half of the final season on flashbacks.

the finale also fucking sucked, tbqh

we knew what happened, but it was a defining period for nucky and it had a lot more weight with the flashbacks. The flashbacks were handled really well too, both the young nucky and gillian were perfect.

Well put.

This and fucking this.

Being depressed or having other mental health issues as long as you're talented doesn't mean you get to treat other people like shit user

Still fuming everytime I see a thread about this show, mainly because while I could forgive a lot of the shit they pulled after season 2, I'll never forgive them for just abandoning characters like Arnold Rothstein.

they should have cut bait with the Gillian and Harrow stories once they killed off Jimmy

I'm still pissed off that there was no mention whatsoever about Julia, and iirc they didn't even touch on how Tommy came to find out about Nucky killing his father etc

So, in the 20's if you wanted to shoot a cop and get away with it, you only had to walk into the station, shoot him and run away?

>tommy
you mean the miracle kid capable of growing twenty years on a five year timespan?

it was a different time

Thank you.

Besides being the chief villain cop character, he was a stand-in for a real life FBI agent that was drummed out of the Bureau in the early days of Prohibition over corruption charges, who promptly when full villain and became a bodyguard/hitman for Al Capone.