"The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars...

>"The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars."

Then why it still exists after the link to the past lives is destroyed?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wasn't it getting in touch with Raava?

Like didn't Wan do that shit?

Well she accessed the skills and knowledge in the past of HER life, right? So maybe she's just connecting to that?

uh
uh

uh......

seriously, I never understood how anyone could defend korra
it's a mediocre show on it's own and it's worse when you compare it to the original series

Sounds like BDSM Subspace

you know what the worst complaint about this series is?

People who bitch that she got all of her bending back right away, because they wanted her to have to travel around the world re-learning it. THAT'S LITERALLY THE PLOT OF THE LAST AIRBENDER

The decision to make the Avatar state just a power-up given by the incarnation of goodness was just such a retarded hack move that I can barely even believe it's actually a real plot element to the series and that people thought it was a good enough idea to make it to air. It's. They just turned the Avatart state into just such an uninteresting, unoriginal boring concept and sucked away any interesting nuance or mystery it had, I don't even know why they wanted to get rid of the whole past lives thing when it was never really that important and was just some cool lore to the series, outside of it being the writers way of saying that they are breaking all connections to the old show and now Korra is the thing we should all love.

Bryke are shit at conclusions
They always have been.
Even ATLA ended in a shit way

Season 1 Korra was good, until they had to end it, then they fucked it up
Amon made perfect sense as a villain and was really good up until they ruined it

Season 2 was irredeemable
Season 3 was better than most of ATLA
It had fucking consequences

Season 4 was good until Bryke had to find a way to conclude it
Then they fucked it all up, in their usual way

>Then why it still exists after the link to the past lives is destroyed?
Same reason why Aang's still existed even after we see the past lives fade and blink out.

Same reason how the First Avatar would be able to access their Avatar State.

I'm just saying that the idea itself is bad and just shouldn't have been included in the show at all. In fact, I think all of the spirit stuff in Korra was just awful and detrimental to the entire series.

I like how they tanked my interest with this plot point. They lost so many stories this way. Along with the spirits just being awful.

>Book 1's finale builds Aang to be Korra's spiritual guide in the same way Roku was to him.
>"lol nope"

Well yeah of course it's terrible. They had her lose them to give a sense of loss that only produced anger because of how and why she lost the connection.

Roku was Aang's "get out of jail free" card. Aang was already spiritual and had all the answers.

>Season 3 was better than most of ATLA

It was better than the garbage that preceded it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

>I like how they tanked my interest with this plot point
This is the downfall of Korra
>Oh shit the non-benders are realizing how fucked they are
>Nope lol it's just me, a rogue Water Bender

>Oh shit the spirits are pissed on a global level. Maybe they have legit reasons
>Lol nope, just me the evil Uncle
>Season 3
>All good
>Season 4
>Oh shit, remaking the government of the largest nation after the events of Season 3 will take some careful work
>Lol fuck that time for giant mecha

Did ATLA ever have regicide?

Ozai killed his dad offscreen.

>Same reason why Aang's still existed even after we see the past lives fade and blink out.
Aang didn't lose the avatar connection, he just died, that's why we saw all the avatars disappear and that's why we saw them all come back once his chi was unblocked
The circumstances for Korra would be different

>Same reason how the First Avatar would be able to access their Avatar State.
That was due to harmonic convergence

Wasn't that Ursa?

But Aang's Avatar State didn't work while his chakra was fucked up. That's a major plot point in season 3.

No. The heroes we followed in AtLA never allowed anything bad to happen permanently and managed to stop things by their own efforts from staying in the bad for long.

Offscreen is for bitches

Season 3 Korra delivered on competent villains.
And had stakes
Season 3 ending was perfect
The juxtaposition of Jinora's ascension with Korra's sadness was brilliant because the two perfectly matched each other

That season end with Aang being lightning blasted never managed pottery like that

>managed to stop things by their own efforts
Or if a Lionturtle appeared out of no where and gave the hero a solution

>That was due to harmonic convergence
And due to harmonic convergence, the connection to Raava was reaffirmed when they fused and touched the stream of light like how Wan did back in the day.

>he just died,
In the Avatar State when Azula shot him.

Same reason the first avatar could do it even when he had no past life to call upon

Gave the hero a solution that he still had to risk killing his soul hence the red energy we see slowly overtaking Aang's blue energy but the hero pulls through of their own will.

Not >The juxtaposition of Jinora's ascension with Korra's sadness was brilliant because the two perfectly matched each other
which is stupid. Not to mention the other finales in LoK.

>Raava

Why couldn't the Avatar just stay the earth's guardian of balance, with the human aspect effecting the means to that end (e.g. some being more hands on while others are lax, some killing more liberally than others)?

Dude, it's still shit, even with the "consequences" of his soul being taken over

It's like if a movie, 5 minutes before climax, offered a magic gun to the hero and said "You have 50/50 chance of killing your enemy. Go get him!"

It's still a Deux ex Machina

If they wanted that end, it should have been the Guru who told Aang about it.
So that he always knew the risks and then only at the end accepted them.

But having a never before seen character suddenly show up 10 seconds before midnight with a solution is bullshit
Always will be

>The heroes we followed in AtLA never allowed anything bad to happen permanently
Like if a princess had to sacrifice her life so waterbenders could not lose the war
Or if a passionate leader of a ragtag team of resistance fighters gets brainwashed by a double agent who is working for the people who killed those resistance fighters' families
Or if a young ostracized blind girl runs away from her family and gets betrayed when it turns out her family didn't try to find her and she never makes up with them

There were tons of bad things that happened
In the second episode we see the result of the war and the battle on the airbenders

>which is stupid
Nigger you dumb

Korra was crying at the end precisely because of Jinora's ascension.
Can you tell me why?

It was brilliant

>Why couldn't the Avatar just stay the earth's guardian of balance
That's literally what the Avatar still is. More-so now that the Avatar has both Raava and Vaatu inside them.

>In the Avatar State when Azula shot him
And then he came back to life
So if he's not dead, then why would there be any problem with the avatar state

>the connection to Raava was reaffirmed when they fused and touched the stream of light like how Wan did back in the day
But it doesn't make sense for the glow to happen after that, if it is a defense mode that calls upon the past lives, if there are no past lives to call upon
We never see Wan in the avatar state because it doesn't exist until after he died

No, the Avatar is now a host for the physical embodiment of good.

>Can you tell me why?
Because Jinora knew that Korra was about to be poisoned a few rooms over and chose instead to remain quiet and still and let everyone else be freed first and wait until she was the last one freed before speaking up and still didn't speak up until Korra's father said now they have to go find Korra and they send Mako, Bolin, and Tonraq instead of literally everyone because Mako, Bolin and Tonraq managed to do so well when fighting the super terrorists before so of course those three could do okay confronting all of them together with Korra held hostage.

That has literally nothing to do with my question

Did Korra ever have genocide?

Yes. Also, ATLA had actual logic in the plot. Tell me how "muh chaos" makes any sense.

Because he was dead, the link was severed in that his chakra was completely fucked up. He couldn't put his own body into balance to access it.

Which is why it was a complete fluke of him smashing into a rock which then realigned himself that his chakra could flow as it should've.

>ATLA had actual logic in the plot
What exactly was Ozai's goal when burning the fuck out of empty territory?

>So if he's not dead, then why would there be any problem with the avatar state
Because Aang had already lost his people and was the last of his culture so having him lose the past lives would make everyone sad that this child has such a hard life. Regardless of what Roku said about dying in the Avatar State before.

>We never see Wan in the avatar state because it doesn't exist until after he died

His eyes glow in Beginnings from 19:25 to 20:15 as a time stamp if you watch Beginnings part 2 once he fuses with Raava and is the first Avatar.

>No, the Avatar is now a host for the physical embodiment of good.
No, the Avatar is the Earth's Guardian of Balance, who is combined with the Spirit of Light and Peace. The Avatar's ultimate goal is to keep balance.

And after the B2 finale, The Avatar also has the Spirit of Chaos and Darkness inside them.

1. It is shown from the get-go that Ozai is a crazy, power-hungry motherfucker
2. he was burning burning ENEMY territory. That's always a good thing.

>That has literally nothing to do with my question
You wouldn't cry if someone knew you were in danger and didn't tell people capable of getting you out of the danger quicker before the shit hits the fan and then said person is praised and honored while you can't even use the bathroom by yourself?

>no no, it's not illogical and dumb. It's because the character is illogical and dumb

Not the most logical part for sure but if I had to work with that I'd say it's because Ozai is a narcissist and that act makes for a better show in history. The continent would have a massive "scar" on it for a long time and it would go down as the ultimate punishment for defying his will.

>What exactly was Ozai's goal when burning the fuck out of empty territory?
Ba Sing Se was occupied by the Fire Nation so you really shouldn't burn a territory where your people are stationed.
Also if the Earth Kingdom is vast and dense in forests then burning them allows you to let the fires spread and engulf the outlying resistance. And if any Fire Nation see the coming flames they can repel them using their own control of fire so it doesn't affect them only those who are hidden/living in the wild (like Jet and his gang) or living isolated (swampbenders.) Get the people who you don't easily get that live in big cities. Make a big burning statement.

Because that explanation is wrong. The actual explanation for how the avatar state works had been lost to history by Aang and
Korra's time. This is very simple and clearly explained in the show.

Also, anyone who has a problem with the avatar state getting de-powered is an idiot. The avatar state is almost literally a deus ex machina. which means you either take it away, as they did for most of ATLA and the first season of Korra, or you put the protagonist up against increasingly overpowered, equally god-like enemies, hence the dark avatar of Korra season two. Getting rid of the past lives was a good way of solving that problem. There's a reason why most mentor characters die in stories. You can't have a protagonist being constantly bailed out by their more powerful, more experienced mentor figure. And that's exactly what the old avatar state was. This was a problem even in ATLA. That's why the second he's gains control of the avatar state he instantly loses it. And then they bring it back for the finale, but then they had to come up with spirit bending to actually give the finale any sense of risk because if it just came down to a physical fight it would be an effortlessly one-sided curb-stomp, as we see.

LOK is far from perfect, but it's easy to see most of its problems just spring from the fact it was never planned as anything more than a single season, and so the second season was rushed and taken as a whole the four seasons lack the extremely solid structure that ATLA had due to always being planned as a three season trilogy. LOK is still really good though and has never really deserved the amount of hate it's received. Then again, the people who hate it, at least on Sup Forums unfailingly come across as trollish, unreasonable and oddly obsessed with a cartoon they claim to think is awful. It's very clearly an example of one of those weird anti-fandoms, people bizarrely invested in hating something for the sake of it.

>You can't have a protagonist being constantly bailed out by their more powerful, more experienced mentor figure.

So have them be bailed out by a street rat who is more adept at firebending than the Fire Nation royal family and a small child who is more spiritual than the living embodiment of order and chaos because.

i said exactly why it's logical, user. I just pointed out it's also in-character.

While Zaheer basically is going nowhere. Like, "let's kill leaders because.. chaos. That will help somehow, even if i have no clue how".

Zaheer had a totally logical reason
The Avatar has essentially been enforcing the 4 nation system for centuries if not millennia.

If you born Earth Kingdom, you will follow Earth Kingdom. If you don't a God on Earth will come down and smite you

He had a perfect reason for wanting to break the system

Hell, LoK showed that he was right with Republic City.
There never needed to be racially mandated societies

Meanwhile Ozai is just "MUHAHAHA I AM EVIIIIL"
Azula was a great villain.
But Ozai was pretty much the same as Melon Lord

>people bizarrely invested in hating something for the sake of it.
If LoK was just LoK. But it is Avatar so people from AtLA who loved AtLA have to put up with LoK.
This isn't like people who hate Eragon, of the Inheritance cycle, series which is only compromised of shit. Or if someone brings up Johnny Test. LoK is the bad part of Avatar which has the good part of AtLA that people enjoyed. People in the fandom have to contend with this.

>Hell, LoK showed that he was right with Republic City.
But he didn't want Raiko for the URN either, which is a melting pot of races/cultures choosing their own way of life. Nor did he have any qualms about putting Tenzin in a position where he would die despite him being a spiritual leader like how the airbendering temples had their leaders.

Hell back in Wan's time, if he's so knowledgeable, then he knows that there were leaders in that chaos society too.

Raiko was a cuck though

>If you don't a God on Earth will come down and smite you
what? where was that stated? who said that you can't just leave?

>He had a perfect reason for wanting to break the system
what reason? you didn't say anything.

>There never needed to be racially mandated societies
user.. what?

Did you... Not watch the show at all?

What do you think the Red Lotus' end game was?

Then Zaheer should have taken the URN citizenship exam, passed, and voted for a better leader to act in office come the next election.

>using the word cuck
off to

You see, Zaheer's response (i.e. I'm a bender, I'm just going to use my godlike powers to enact my will) is exactly why Amon was right

It still steams my hams that Season 1 fucked up his message.
Because he was right

>What do you think the Red Lotus' end game was
according to Zaheer himself, he thought the nations were corrupt (which has nothing to do with what you said), and that bringing them to chaos would fix them

the thing is.. he never explains how chaos would fix anything. And guess what: it doesn't.

This show is shit!

You need everything spelt out for you?

Agreed

""Answers"' are the anti-thesis to mysticism

It seems like we get at least 2 Korra hate threads every day.

It's been 4 years already, it's time to let go.

No, i just need you to provide evidence of your claims.

>You see, Zaheer's response (i.e. I'm a bender, I'm just going to use my godlike powers to enact my will) is exactly why Amon was right

Except Zaheer convinced his friends that chaos was the true way back before he had bending.
Unalaq, Zaheer, and Kuvira were nutcases independent of their ability to bend.

Korra was, above all, disappointing.

That festers a lot worse than being simply bad.

It'll actually be 2 years since the show ended tomorrow, in case you're wondering why there's a sudden influx in Korra threads.

>It'll actually be 2 years since the show ended tomorrow
Damn, feels like it was yesterday Sup Forums was freaking out about the mecha.

>Damn, feels like it was yesterday Sup Forums was freaking out about the mecha.

They should've just kept the Schwerer Gustav expy instead of going full retard. At least rail artillery is believable.

you gotta start somewhere

First few avatars after Korra are gonna have a rough time.

Korra probably won't even give the next Avatar any advice. Just whine about how bad she fucked up everything every time she gets called up.

Sup Forums was right damn it

The mecha was stupid as fuck

The whole "super weapon" thing was stupid as fuck

Kuvira had enough potency behind her with the unification thing without needing a super weapon

>the next Avatar after Korra actually loses competency whenever they go into Avatar State

KEK

The giant mecha was just as stupid as the giant drill.

The giant drill had a practical purpose though
Giant walls

The giant mecha had a practical purpose though
Intimidation/rule by fear.

Aaaand the giant Drill was basically a throwaway episode that just needed SOMETHING big and clunky to be left behind as evidence, as opposed to the mech that was the centrepiece of the grand finale.

I think that diminishes Kuvira's legitimacy
Unity was a good enough call

Korra realizing that Zaheer may have been right should have been the true dilemma of Season 4.
Giving Kuvira a giant Hitler mecha and making her objectively wrong is stupid

This was discussed already. There is nothing particularly difficult to make about a drill. Big =/= advanced.

A giant bipedal mecha is a technology we don't even have today.

>Korra realizing that Zaheer may have been right
>Killing people solves everything
>Me killing you and your family and your friends is better for the world, which I will kill to make the world a better place.
>Zaheer may have been right
No.

No it wasn't. The main item stopping the enemy was the fact that they could neither a) earth bend, b) lava bend and c) couldn't utilise powerful fire benders/intelligent generals. like Iroh to break it down with fire. Combine that with the implication that the fire nation is big on industrial machines, and you have a fearsome weapon that can provide aang and gang some character/bending development, which it did.

The mecha was massively out of left field, considering all the science people knew nothing about it, IT WAS MADE OUT OF PURE PLATINUM FOR EXTERIOR, and it was even foreshadowed like the airships of ATLA with the villain smiling evilly. It was also highly unnecessary, considering the massive force that Kuvira commanded, all she had to do was wait what, a week? two? For those railroads to be cleared. Give her some kind of wacky railless train if you must, and just be glad that the latter half of the robot takedown was mildly entertaining.

>considering the massive force that Kuvira commanded
A force that was taken down by an EMP. Kuvira's ground forces were being held in place by two airbenders. Imagine getting all of them together and having Korra in the Avatar State against them. Get dickless and his effortless lightning bending and his drooling lava braindead brother with them and Kuvira's army is routed.

>>Killing people solves everything
It does solve something though

You can't deny that

No man, no problem.

That was also stupid though. That matrix of robots was a tiny portion of the force she commanded SO WHY WAS IT THE ONLY SHIT THERE.

>effortless lightning bending
I had a problem with this, not because I don't believe he shouldn't have it, but because his fire bending became so terrible.
>drooling braindead brother
He's still the second smartest out of the four. Bit depressing, but at least he's not struggling with airbending or being terrible at his job.

>He's still the second smartest out of the four.
>Maybe he's invisible?!
>I'll make bird calls!
>Ginger loves me!
>What do you mean you've been putting people in isolated camps who aren't Earth Kingdom citizens? But I'm from the URN naturally. And Varrick is Southern Water tribe. (Actually this is how stupid Kuvira is.)

>That matrix of robots was a tiny portion of the force she commanded SO WHY WAS IT THE ONLY SHIT THERE.
She's got to try and spread her forces to police the entire Earth Kingdom. You don't put everyone, that is every single soldier, on Omaha Beach for example. And the EMP could work on others that come in anyway.

>It does solve something though
Zombie apocalypses happen and people still put others in charge to lead them. Wan's time of chaos had people in charge of the Lion Turtle cities.

I'm fully aware of Bolin's daft statements. Him setting the bar low doesn't deny the fact that Mako and Korra are limbo champions in terms of common sense.

Favourite examples

>SHIT AMON JUST DENIED THE ACCUSATION I MADE WITHOUT ANY PROOF
>I don't need to fight you here unalaq, I'll just wait until this escalates to full on war and you become an avatar
>What do you mean I haven't mastered airbending, look at those leaves get blown away

>I'll just betray my girlfriend's plan, even though I can be held in now way responsible for it]
>I'm going to make an accusation to Varrick's face... and then do fuck all about it while he sets about framing me
>I hate looking after this prince... I'll wait until he requests to keep me permanently before telling him
>I can generate lightning, and earn a good career from it. I'll make sure me and my brother waste most of our money on a tournament that is probably fixed.

Also those last two of yours were technically true; Ginger loved his status, and the gulag thing is retarded once you consider you're putting three different kinds of benders guarded by a single kind of bender.

I understand you completely. LoK was just too mature for the AtLA crowd.

Next series is gonna be a young boy again and Korra gonna /ss/

Would Asami try to do some spiritual /ss/-lesbo hybrid?

I highly doubt there will ever be another series with how much nick apparently hates it.

Different user here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The avatar was, for the entirey of TLA, a simple human with an extraordinary connection to the spirit world. The avatar's free interpretation of what "keeping the balance" meant is what allowed for a whole variety of avatars, and the tools with which the avatar reinforces such beliefs were the bending and avatar state. So much of it was very obviously rooted to Buddhist philosophy - the avatar was in all regards the Dalai Lama. Even there, just like the Dalai Lama is considered in the line of incarnation from Avalokiteśvara as well as the spiritual (yet human) leader to bring peace and order to the Tibetan Government, so is the avatar a reincarnation of the past avatars who brings order to the physical world by the holy powers of the spirits. The Dalai Lama is both holy yet distinctly human, and the Avatar is both holy yet distinctly human. TLA never really strayed from this path, and by keeping a lot of the Avatar's abilities in the mystic did they so successfully implement this design.

Raava is and always will be the creator's poorly executed attempt to out-shine the original series. Raava is to the Avatar series what Midi-chlorians were to Star Wars, a sad excuse at expanding a world, explaining a system that by its supernatural nature did not warrant a scientific "how's and why's" explanation, and one-upping a progenitor and much more acclaimed series.

And technically you're not wrong, TECHNICALLY the avatar in LoK still maintained that original role using what is now a new and completely different system than what audiences perceived in TLA, but the criticism that LoK fairly gets is because it tried to out-do TLA but never exceeded the plot-writing standards that TLA set, it was just edgier. LoK was only good in terms of animation and choreography, it was really half-assed the rest of the way through.

Azula wasn't a villain.

If you payed attention, there wasn't a whole lot of finesse or technique to Korra's moves when she powered up. All her moves were brute force and barreling through obstacles to pulverize her adversaries.

what the fuck are you?

There is nothing villainous about her. If anything she was just a foil to Zuko.