This show could have been so good

This show could have been so good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
thehushhush.tumblr.com/post/154662034070
twitter.com/AnonBabble

non bird pearl, non tamer amy, and non straight hair garnet is the biggest travesty to cartoon network since problem solvers

The pilot designs were shit.

those aren't the pilot designs

it could have been great

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but you sir are objectively wrong.

Pearl and Garnet's redesigns were a travesty but most people just accepted it and moved on.

Amethyst and Steven didn't really change that much.

yes they are

I don't care that much for the redesigns, but the pilot designs weren't exactly good.

they were better than what we got now.
I still think Garnet's cube afro is retarded.

current artstyle is better in pretty much everything and is even easier to make.

more detailed, better lightings, charm and identity and it looks pretty fucking good.

still i kinda like the pilot more, anyone else feeling the same?

Pearl's redesign is the best thing that ever happened to her. Her original design is god awful.

Feels like 2013 again, how nostalgic.

I miss the days when this show was relatively low-key, at least compared to nowadays.

Pearl had a more upturned nose with dykier hair and Garnet's hair wasn't nearly as fluffy
These are the original designs

>tfw watching giant woman in my attic back in 2014
>could talk about this show without it devolving into identity politics and Sup Forums memes

this, they are so much nicer

youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8

I liked the pilot a lot, it needed some smoothing but I liked Garnet's straight hair and the smaller golden gauntlets instead of the Hulk hands she ends up with
but yea, the current style of the square hair and Pearl's nose makes their design pop

I know what you mean. I really miss the old speculation on things like if Rose was blind, where gems came from, if Onion is a villain or if Garnet had an ulterior motive. I also kind of miss silly shit like Mustachio.

I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Sup Forums generals.

It never had a chance OP. This show has a shit plot.
>The gems are an ancient alien race of immortal sentient beings.
>Every second episode somebody cries in an attempt to stir emotions
Steven and amethyst get a pass because they are young. But every other gem... not very realistic desu.

The current style is objectively more appealing and that's the problem. It follows every typical design element in the book and just feels like a really safe-designed product when you compare it to the pilot or the original designs before that which actually felt like an indie web comic brought to life.

You could re-design Rocko's Modern Life or Cow and Chicken to have more Disney-esque attributes to them and it would objectively be more appealing. But that isn't the answer to everything. Sometimes something unique is better than something that follows all of Preston Blair's rules of design.

And what's wosre is that they're chibifying the characters even MORE as the show goes on. It just makes me feel like I'm watching cutscenes of a Kirby or Mario games rather than something made by Rebecca Sugar who has a really identifiable art style. I mean shit, the original pilot looked like pages jumped right out of her sketchbook, it was glorious to see her art animated by a professional studio.

that's not the plot user. the plot is fine.

>amethyst is young
watch the show, then think about what you just said, and then watch it again.

In a kids tv show things have to be dumbed down to appeal to the masses. Maybe if it was an adult cartoon it could've worked.

Sugar says it was a creative choice to change the designs but i really doubt it. They changed it because her style was difficult for the other boarders to imitate and the network needed designs that were easily drawn so they could produce episodes more quickly.

I know this is true but I hate that the industry has come to this because TV networks are suffering. We used to have shit like pic related and it was one of the most popular cartoons around, despite looking horrendous.

I'm not saying, "Boy, I wish all cartoons were like Rugrats!". I just miss when networks didn't shy away from animating the concept art. Even something as simple as Recess seems like it would just cost too much for a network to care and they would redesign all the characters to have perfect ovals for heads and sleek body shapes instead of clothing with creases.

Fuck, even PPG looks worse than the original and the original was already done on a simple budget. How is that possible?

Someone post the image of Garnet in a hijab.

>$5 slice
well if your gonna have people fag up your street, might as well bilk them for all they got

>so they could produce episodes more quickly
Funny considering with all the hiatus they go through

Pearl's pilot design was a crime against humanity.

>$5 a slice
That's like $40 for a fucking pizza, fags really are terrible people.

You don't like David Bowie?

She had early designs that were good.

I think you mean laroux

I love sheer skirt peal design.

in other media I do

Whatcha talkin about OP? The show is fine.

It would be interesting to see this show with Steven grown up with the current CGs, a new show centered around more mature themes.

But then it comes to the problem of appealing to the masses. Plus, would a more mature SU maintain its integrity? In all likely cases, this is something the shows creators did not have in mind.

it's really gone downhill since the first season

How so?

I thought the show improved itself after the first season.

Yeah, if they hadn't gone the "super cool fantasy with a mundane, everyday plot" route every single show since Adventure Time has.

Mirror/Ocean Gem is still the best episode in the show in my opinion.

The problem is S1 was mostly SoL and monster of the week with some lore sprinkled in every now and again, which worked fine then because we didn't really have any high stakes to move towards, but eventually they just kept building up the story to genocidal space empires but still kept the mostly SoL nature of the first season, which really doesn't work now that so much plot has been built up.

in my country a slice is $7

are you one of those countries that throw money in the fireplace because it's worth less than firewood?

>gone downhill since the first season
This

Please tell me what hellhole you live in so I know never to got there

Could be, or that demand of pizza is higher than what companies can supply.

>that gay hair design

I came here specifically to shit on it

Pizza-by-the-slice is like New York style. It should be the size of a personal pizza.

Pic related, local joint.

>$5 slice pizza
this will never not trigger me

>I liked Garnet's straight hair and the smaller golden gauntlets

Pilot Garnet's head on current Garnet's rockin' body would be optimal Garnet.

she was really intended to be the lesbian one doesnt it?

that third one is cute as fuck.

Do you want more user?

>$5 slice

i think we reached SU's apex on the cluster episode, it really went downhill after that, and it doesnt stop.

How so?

You always charge arbitrarily exorbitant prices for smaller slices of a larger food portion a a group to "save money". Makes peoples more likely to pay for the entire pizza so you can get through that day's ingredients.

I love how every time this picture gets posted people immediately jump on the "$5 a slice" pizza

>thehushhush.tumblr.com/post/154662034070
yeah, pretty muh every joint I've seen that sells individual slices also sells combo meals for just $15-20% more that comes with a drink and choice of fried chips or salad

You don't charge for an exact price ratio based on pizza slice size, you charge a bit extra then what it would be as just a piece of a full pizza. That way folks are more likely to order a whole pie as a group to "save" money and you can get through the days ingredients faster.

They're the post-pilot pre-full show designs

>the five retard rubys
>jasper dumb fights
>rose killed pink diamond
>steven is fusing with the gems
>lapis and peridot doing nothing at all

we are (1) waiting for the diamonds to show up and fuck things up, and (2) waiting for steven to fuse with all the gems.

the hype is getting build with no ground where to stand.
the cluster ark worked because there was room for development and even if the cluster was the big menace it wasnt really about that but peridot development, while also learning more about the gems.
but what they are going to do now that the characters are pretty much done? its more of the same really, and its starting to feel pretty damn formulaic already, like "of course this is what you would expect from this series" kind of formula.

If you think about it: Raven and Paul are the closest boarders to Rebecca's natural style

I had a place at my college that sold pizza like that. Me and my friend called them novelty slices, becaus ewe got them just because they were so ridiculously big. The were $5 too, but that at least came with a can of soda.

Norway?

Those are points to consider for the future of the show. As it stands right now, the show is entertaining with its lore material. Now being formulaic with the whole slice-of-life episodes can work if the stories follow different characters instead of Steven and his Shenanigans. I would like to see these episodes progress the characters or "universe" in some way as to not become complete garbage filler (i.e. uncle grandpa). This worked well enough for the episodes regarding Rose or even the most recent episode with the CGs first reactions to Steven's existence.

What would a more mature SU even look like? The theme of the show is fundamentally idealistic, with conflict being a necessary evil.

True. Though, one of the other main core ideals of the show has been about family, friends, and relationships as established in the townie episodes.

the show is too low right now, that it can only get higher.

>a more mature SU
Some "Relationships" are gonna get cranked to a higher tier.

I really like the middle one, though the shirt is supposed to be tucked inside the pants.

Raven and Paul are objectively the best boarders desu senpai

>Gems don't have real bodies
>Yet they constantly produce liquid to cry
>And need to snivel
>And breath
>Also I love Ghibli tears so I will just copy them

This show's own in-universe rules don't seem to make consistent sense.

Probably focusing on the Gem Story more than the Slice of Life
Steven Sufferingverse would be 10x worse though.
and

Ian or some other boarder said the gems have bodily organs and whatnot to imitate humans hence amethyst having a stomach. Yes this information should have been stated in the show proper

>$5 slice
What in the FUCK

The first one and the latter one look really good.
The middle one just screams "DYKE".

>another "Steven Universe is shit" thread

The designs would've been much better.
The writing would've still been crap.

All of them are intended to be lesbians.

/thread

I'm guessing you don't live in a major city.

$5 slices are a thing, but in most places the slices are huge and will fill you up.

Oh wow, you sound like you'd be real fun at parties. Do you have any essays to post about how lightsabers wouldn't work in real life either, or how a radioactive spider bite wouldn't actually give someone powers?

So I've learned. I took a quick browse through the thread. If five bucks got me THAT much , then that's much more worth the cost.

And like every other one, they never give reasons why the show is supposedly so bad. Just a bunch of bandwagon kids going "IT'S SHIT! TUMBLR TUMBLR TUMBLR!" over and over.

Is this show canceled?

I'm gonna interject here.

I've gotten to Rose's Scabbard. Do they defeat an enemy via any method other than crying/LOLSTEVENWINS? Or ever bother to discuss the Gem War in any way that isn't a vague, unacknowledged throwaway line or background detail? Does that change? Should I pick it up again?

People, including myself, have given detailed explanations. Maybe you just didn't see it.

This, so much this.

the first season is shit though.

Yknow I actually hated SU when I started watching. Thought Steven was annoying, there was no major conflict other than Steven being an idiot, and oh my god the stupid cat fingers episode fucking kill me.
But its obvious the writers are building, and jumping between thinking they were only being given X episodes and then adjusting to now having Y episodes.
Not perfect, but still better than AT, Regular Show, all the other Cartoon Network stuff that got boring af.

I try to give reasonable critisism explaining why the show falls short of being good but no one seems to care, everybody is busy posting fanart or giving (you)s to "its bad becouse tumblr" shitposts. If anything, being a tumblr show makes for an interesting thing to watch, not necessarily good, but interesting.

>This show could have been so good
This show is already better than it has any right to be. Those first few episodes should have been it's last-- but, instead it went on to become a surprisingly charming and captivating series that got thousands of viewers wanting to know more about that world. Thousands of people around to world caring about these characters.
Even if from this point on it becomes a shambling corpse of it's former self like Adventure Time and Simpsons have become, when it was good it was and still is one of the most challenging animated television shows on the air.

Okay, I'll just copy/paste what I wrote in another thread:

I don't think I watched the premiere of the show as it actually aired the first time, but I started watching shortly afterwards. I remember watching early episodes like Together Breakfast and Cheeseburger Backpack, and thinking that the show definitely had potential, even if Steven himself was kind of annoying.

I saw the show get progressively better through the first season, even if some episodes were kind of weak. The Lapis two parter was really good and seemed to be setting things up. Then they introduced peridot and kept building up that the home world gems were coming to earth. Then of course there was the end of season 1. I didn't love it as much as some, but it was kind of cool.

Everything seemed to be in place for a cool story now. But the second season already started drifting away from what made the first season good. More focus on emotions and crying and side characters. The third season was worse, focusing progressively more on cute stuff and singing. If it weren't for the fact that they aired that season in such a short time I probably would have given up midway through.

I did watch the first several episodes of season 4, but then finally quit. I just don't like the show anymore.

tl;dr First season was best, it gradually became shit after that.

3rd is absolutely gorgeous, even better than the current Pearl.

no they weren't and thisthe only justification I can think of for the current design is cheaper to animate, but the animation is usually newgrounds tier with good background art so it still doesn't make sense

I normally dislike Lapis, but goddamn is she a cutie in this one.

Pearl really has come a long way hasn't she?