I just finished Morrison's New X-Men. What were your thoughts on it?

I just finished Morrison's New X-Men. What were your thoughts on it?

>that universe expansion
>those character voices
>holy shit someone remembered it's a fucking SCHOOL
>those Beast scenes when Cassandra Nova is wrecking shit in space
>Cyclops and Wolverine downing Jack at the Hellfire Club
>Phoenix appears and it doesn't make everyone retardedly hostile
>Morrison warning us against Beast's mutant-hating ways via Sublime

but then
>that absolute abortion, Planet X, filled with cringe and undoes nearly all the progress made by the characters in the run

Kind of conflicted 2bh. Also the virus thing was way more downplayed than Sup Forums led me to believe.

I was just talking to my friend today about how Morrison pretty much recreated the entire concept of the X-Men in that run.

I really need to reread this. I started reading a while ago, but I don't think I got very far.
Quietley's art always bothered me, though. Everything just looked a little off.

I've seen some anons discuss what Claremont would've done had he continued past the early nineties, about how he was going to transform the X-Men into a movement, or something like that.
Reading NXM felt a lot like that.

Sure, but he's not on the title very often; I'd argue it's at least neat to see Quitely's takes on the different groups, like the Shi'ar or the Omega Gang.
When EVS, Phil Jimenez, or Bachalo is on art, it's all smiles.

Planet X was more Morrison's anger at editorial (Claremont) and their refusal to change.

He did continue past the 90s. He had runs on X-Treme and Uncanny (starting on issue 444). He did the MechaniX mini, a short run on Excalibur and also Nightcrawler.

Plus he had his X-Men The End series.

>He did continue past the 90s
I meant as having more control over the direction of the franchise, characters, etc. like when he built them up throughout the 70s and 80s. I've heard it was his own anger at editorial in the 90s that led to X-Men 1-3 and Magneto's return to being a supervillain.

I've scoured the archives for this, does anyone have a Mega link?

The art was fucking awesome and I doubt they've had a better artist since.

Uhh, which part? Like half a dozen artists worked with Grant on it.

His art was really hard for me to get used to too, it's one of the reasons why I like Morrison's Assault-on-Weapon-Plus the most out of all his run.
It's kinda self-contained.

>The art was fucking awesome

Fuck off

I hear bits and pieces about it but never care enough to go out and read it myself. I'll probably just wait until someone on Sup Forums storytimes it.

That's actually a good plan.
It was storytimed (at least) once before, but it's Morrison's run, somebody will eventually do it again.

Cyclops and Emma were incredibly useless in spite of all the screen time focusing on their affair got.

Jean and Logan trapped on their way to the sun was a pretty wonderfully weird heartwarming moment.

I don't get the hate Sublime gets because his character is grounded in actual brainwashing parasite sciences and it makes the absolute cuntery of Marvel Citizens sensible.

Beast trolling his ex with how he might be gay is possibly one of the greatest single comicbook pages of all time.

Fantomex implying that he set up that entire mountain base and aging mother (though those were made canon after Morrison's run) as a tremendous ruse to garner the sympathies of the X-Men was stellar.

I would have adored seeing Weapon X's evil superhero team in action. The concept was simultaneously meta and grounded in X-Men's setting.

yeah the virus thing is just a macguffin to use when people ask stupid questions.

the reset sucks and sadly has been proven unavoidable. I loved how the mutant world expanded. the only flaw is the occasional bad art.

riot at xavier's best arc

I don't know how often it actually gets storytimed though. I could wait for X-user, but that could take years.

>I would have adored seeing Weapon X's evil superhero team in action.
Has there really never been a What if...? about this?

Still makes me laugh.

Anyone have that awful shot of Emma with the "come hither" sneer?

Yes, and fuck you because now I'm remembering it.

Hey you...

I loved every page, even the ending. Magneto getting high on mutant meth and trying to reenact the holocaust only to be murdered yet again by the X Men was a delight.

my favorite thing about the Morrison run is he really nailed the cape opera feel.

Now, I don't think Morrison ever intended for that to actually be Magneto.
I think Zorneto was meant to be just Zorn all along.
Remember how in the final battle Xavier was trolling Zorneto about how he doesn't look or sound like Magneto?

>Now, I don't think Morrison ever intended for that to actually be Magneto.

It was always Magneto, but he was mind controlled. The point was that after Genosha genocide in E is for Extinction he had to use Kick to boost his powers and that's how Sublime started to influence and with time, gain more and more control until Magneto was stark raving mad.

It was always Zorn, but he was mentally ill. His powers were always poorly defined and though his displays of superstrength, resurrection, and energy projection from his head were not as prominent as his manipulation of electromagnetic energy in the end, undoubtably the use of the drug had an effect upon his mental stability, we can agree on that part, but a mutant that poorly emulates and violently replicates Magneto's methods isn't unheard of.

Oops, I accidentally edited out the part where I reiterated that Zorneto displayed powers Magneto never possessed!

Not to mention the fact that for this master plan of Magneto's to succeed, he would have had to wait around in character for Summers to randomly decide to recruit him.

I get why people hate Planet X but I always loved it for pointing out how Magneto is a crazy Nazi and how the X-men keep doing the same shit over and over again, more so than other superheroes even. Plus Magneto being a crazy junkie trying to reverse the magnetic poles is fucking hilarious.

>What were your thoughts on it?
It sucked, badly

All the things Xorn does in New X-men can be explained with a) simple misdirection b) plain lying and c) using Magnetism in ways that looks like it's something else. The entire run is literally filled with clue that in hindsight proves it was always Magneto. The retcon that it wasn't was just Marvel's hamfisted way to retcon everything back to the old status quo.

Also, Magneto's plan depended on the fact that they would come to recruit him properly, after "rescuing" him form the Chinese. It was a way to build trust so that he can sweep in and "heal" nano-sentinels with his magnetism. Why the fuck do you think he refused to "heal" Quintin?

The "Magneto plan" would have to be that the X-Men would soon desperately need a healer for an ailment that could be successfully treated with magnetic abilities.
Unless he was scheming this up with Cassandra Nova all along, how could he have known that the X-Men would soon be infected with micro-Sentinels? ? ?
And when Quentin Quire was overdosed on Kick, Zorneto was the one who correctly diagnosed that he wasn't dying but rather abandoning his corporal form to ascend to a higher plane of existence.
That wasn't a bullshit cover to explain why he couldn't heal Quentin, Quire showed up in the final issues living among the Phoenix's population.

Or, you know, Magneto could have simply infected them himself in China so that he could later come and save them, thus successfully infiltrate them through the guise of a savior/healer.

>i hate the x-men

explains a lot about people who like it

Could have.
Could have used the very murder machines that were created to destroy Genosha to murder more mutants.
Could even have gotten the idea from the Wild Sentinels sent to kill him.
That could be an all-time new low for him, done before he came to the school and was first exposed to the drug Kick.
But that still doesn't explain Quire.

>But that still doesn't explain Quire.

All we know is that Xorn gave a vague excuse about evolution to explain why he won't just cure a boy who was melting into a puddle in front of his eyes, and the X-men took his word on it since he was the resident healer. At best it was a lucky guess, and doesn't explain why he wouldn't use his so called healing powers to smooth/accelerate the process, other than claim it wouldn't be natural.

Look, you seem to be engaging me in good faith here, but there's no way in Limbo I'm abandoning my favorite character-saving headcanon for "Morrison wrote it as a lucky guess".