Ok co... I have no idea what I read. What does being the celestial madonna mean...

Ok co... I have no idea what I read. What does being the celestial madonna mean? What destiny does the Celestial Messiah has?

I heard this one theory that Mantis' kid is basically suppose replace Adam Warlock as the messianic figure after he becomes the magus but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

What hell was Marvel smoking when they were making this?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/TheCelestialMadonnaSaga
youtu.be/7LRcmg9mxRQ?t=21
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/TheCelestialMadonnaSaga

It seems to be a popular opinion.

>What hell was Marvel smoking when they were making this?

"...Describing that time, Englehart said in 1998,

We'd rampage around New York City. There was one night when a bunch of us, including Jim Starlin, went out on the town. We partied all day, then did some more acid, then roamed around town until dawn and saw all sorts of amazing things (most of which ended up in Master of Kung Fu, which Jim and I were doing at the time)."

Haha I don't even doubt it. Still itd be nice to get closure on the fucking celestial messiah story. Maybe Ewing will pick it up? One can only hope.

The problem is Mantis was so much Englehart's pet character, and he wrote about her every chance he got, that other writers grew to hate her. That's why The Crossing tried to turn her evil.

Oh I didn't know that was the case. Are there more behind the scenes stuff to confirm that? Was Englehart really that bad with his OC? I heard his FF dun wasn't well recieved either..

>What destiny does the Celestial Messiah has?
Judging by his history since, it's to fade into complete obscurity.

Writers having 'pet' characters is the absolute worst.

Dave Cockrum is quoted in "Marvel Comics: the Untold Story":

> "I never liked Mantis. Most of the Marvel staff at the time hated Mantis' guts. I think it was mostly that 'this one' crap. The one thing I did like about her was the skirt of the costume. In the Giant Size Avengers I drew her leaping about, and occasionally showed just a glimpse of her ass."

Also supposedly - I can't find the source - Englehart left West Coast Avengers because the editors told him to stop using Mantis. (He'd already incorporated her into FF and Silver Surfer.)

He used her in a lot things, including Avengers, FF, and Silver surfer. Despite her being human tier in strength he had kick solo the avengers and wanted her to do the same to Thanos. He made two other versions of her in other companies/

There was at least one scene where he wanted to have her beat Thor easily, and the EiC Roy Thomas forced Englehart to add a line from T'Challa saying that Thor only lost because he didn't want to hurt her.

But Marvel editorial had almost no staff in the '70s so except for individual cases like that, there wasn't much editing. That's why '70s Marvel was so weird and fun on the one hand but so uneven on the other.

Its hard to believe such a fucking autistic waifu-inserter can have a job at a company.

The character itself even has a retarded messed-up convoluted backstory.

>Its hard to believe such a fucking autistic waifu-inserter can have a job at a company.
Is it hard to believe that?
Is it really?

user, everyone knows Bendis gives great head

A lot of of waifu obsessed faggots have worked at Marvel and pretty much a lot of the writers who have touched Kitty Pryde did this shit with her.

Heck Bendis just stopped writing her for the time being but Guggenheim is writing an X-Men title making her leader and you bet she'll be the new Felicity.

Reading the older stuff I can see why they didn't like her and she didn't get good until Giffen got his hands on her in Annihilation: Star-Lord.

Comicbooks are terrible, Marvel and DC comics need to come to and end and have all their rights given to some asshole who decides to do absolutely nothing with them apart from keeping others from using them.

A least Englehart for didn't destroy other characters to elevate his faces, which Bendis has done brutally.

> Faces = Favourites

It's kind of funny that they all have pet characters and hate each others.

I know this may come as a shock to you, but there's more to comics than 2 publishers and one genre, Sup Forums.

She's not good under Giffen either, just inoffensive. The praise you see is just a new generation of waifufags.

Bendis had Miles take out a villain who'd already taken out every regular Avenger, I'm not sure if that's better or worse than having your OC just take out all the Avengers.

I like that she was purposedly made to be weird and kickass without the stupid foreboding and convulted shit she had and I like how DnA used her empath and precog abilities but still had her be capable of getting her ass kicked.

I don't even waifu her and I'm cool with her getting shoes, soooo...

Her powers were erratic and redundant when Cosmo and Moondragon took larger roles. Like I said, she was inoffensive, but I never got the appeal like so many round here. She never really did anything of note besides help Quill brainwash the team at the beginning and hug him at the end.

I believe that is known as 'Doctrine of signatures'.

>I'm cool with her getting shoes

youtu.be/7LRcmg9mxRQ?t=21

Will Mantis cuck Wanda in the MCU?

>Strength is NOTHING against my skill!
Ohhhhhhhhh.
He's one of those.

It's funny how Abnett and Lanning wrote an infinitely better version of Mantis than Engleheart ever dreamed of.

Personally I liked Mantis in Guardians because I ship her with my boy Pete.

Now that they are making her a completely different character in the movies I wonder how Englehart feels about it.

Praise to be Jim Shooter, hallowed be his name.

In Abnett and Lanning's GotG it simply meant "Self proclaimed celestial madonna - She's a bit weird, don't ask,"

It was the 70's. Englehart was part of the first generation of fans turned pro, people who were all proud to be making comics

Eh, I liked her a A LOT more as a supporting character/love interest in Silver Surfer than her time on the Avengers

Shooter did some things right back in the day. Fuck Byrne for thinking he was a tyrant.