Mark Millar Didn't Really Dig Captain America: Civil War

cbr.com/original-civil-war-writer-didnt-really-dig-captain-america-civil-war/

>“‘Civil War’ had a good opening twenty mins, but then I honestly can’t remember what the movie was about,” wrote Millar. “It’s interesting the Russos have a background in comedy because it’s really missing in these otherwise well-made pictures and very, very missed. I really hope this bleakness doesn’t extend into their two ‘Avengers’ pictures because what made that first ‘Avengers’ work was the light as well as shade and I’ll be sad if that’s all lost like it was in this picture.”

Is this hack right? Did Civil War need more comedy?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.millarworld.tv/t/millars-top-10-movies-of-2016/9260
gamesradar.com/mark-millar-how-man-steel-traumatised-create-huck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd imagine most comic writers hate comic movies in general. They make them for the casuals who never read a comic before, not for the fans.

>Civil War
>lacking comedy
>bleak

I mean, that's already bizarre, but
>Mark fucking Millar of all people saying this
The man who made works as depressingly grim as Nemesis, Kick-Ass and the Unfunnies?

>Something something goat licking
Now that we got that out of the way, no he isn't right.

>The man who made works as depressingly grim as Nemesis, Kick-Ass and the Unfunnies?
he changed after he saw man of murder. seeing a superman that acted like that made him want lighter stuff

>CW comic
>for the fans
>not for the turbo casuals who never read a Marvel comic before
It's really funny coming from Millar.

Meh. If everyone had love MoS, he'd be praising it to the skies. The guy is such a hypocrite.

>Civil War needed more quips and winks at the camera
Noooooo. It was fine as it. The right balance of comedy and drama.

He's just salty because the comic is terrible and the movie is awesome.

>comedy
The airport scene was Buster Keaton tier.

His top 10 movies:

forums.millarworld.tv/t/millars-top-10-movies-of-2016/9260

Aside from Civil War the other films he wasn't fond of this year included Rogue One, Ghostbusters, BvS, Finding Dory, and Hail Caesar.... But the film he actually truly hated was Independence Day 2.

His #1 pick for best film is Zootopia (though he names it Zootropolis cause that's what it's called in the UK)

>If everyone had love MoS, he'd be praising it to the skies

If everyone loved it, it'd probably be a good movie. But we don't live in that reality.

>favorite movie is Disney shit
>didn't like Based Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Oh ok, so he's a shill. No surprise there.

>wasn't fond of Finding Dory
He's asking for a Glasgee smile.

>implying you don't love any turd with a Marvel logo
Mouseketeer pls

If he was a shill he'd praise Civil War.

>was that a giant kill machine like the Death Star should never have been built with a colossal design flaw that let's you blow it up
oh for fuck sake why does everyone keep thinking that? Is it that hard to believe that the design "flaw" was there by choice and necessity? Maybe a vital part for the cooling system

But he doesn't because he thinks his shit comic is better.

Read the list. He praised X-Men Apocalypse more than he praised Civil War.

Not even the biggest of shills can claim with a straight face that Civil War wasn't absolute garbage. Especially coming out hot on the heels of the cinematic masterpiece that is Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

>he praised [Marvel movie] more than he praised [Marvel movie]
Oh joy, so he's an equal opportunity shill.

A little too obvious chap, you have to be more subtle with the bait.

MARK MILLAR LICKS GOATS

You need to go back to Sup Forums.

>if you dont like this shit movie, you must like these other shit movies

Sup Forums shitposter pls

Have you read his Superman Adventures? It has nothing to do with MoS. There's a storytime in the archive. You should check it out.

I sometimes get the sense that Millar only complains about bleak and cynical cape stories because he wants a monopoly on them.

Can't tell if this is a shitpost or actually a Snyderfag. At this point it's hard to tell.

Not really. I think he genuinely got bored of it. He said in an interview that the whole Evil Superman thing is really interesting but it peaked with Superman snapping Zod's neck so now he does more light-hearted takes like Huck.

Aren't 20th Century Fox the main buyers for his properties?

He's a businessman more than a writer at this point, I don't think we'd get an authentic opinion about comic book films from him because he's got a vested interest.

>it needed more comedy
Go fucking read the original Civil War you fuck. I've never seen a comic book with its head shoved so firmly up it's own ass. Until Civil War 2 that is, but that's Bendis's fault.

>likes Marvel shit
>doesn't like shitposts
Hypocrite.

>It’s interesting the Russos have a background in comedy because it’s really missing in these otherwise well-made pictures

Why does everything need to be a quipfest? This movie wasn't bleak at all, and the over-commitment to comedy is part of what ruined the first Avengers.

I'm talking about an interview he did for huck where he said mos was awful and he wanted to write lighter stuff

I guess it's true, that he started writing edgy shit but is now back to lighter books. I'm sorry for posting without thinking it through. You're a cool user.

Spider-Man and Ant Man were the perfect amount of ''comedy'' for the movie. Any movie can use more comedic light touches, it's just part of entertainment, but Civil War was fine.

>Go fucking read the original Civil War you fuck
he fucking wrote it

Feels a bit weird hearing him say that when the comic was so bleak.

Honestly, I feel like it should have been darker. I mean, Steve and Tony almost kill each other, then five minutes later Tony is friends with Steve and letting him break his friends out (after Tony helped capture them and tried to kill his bestfriend). It's like the movie had to end on a happy note because they didnt want people to feel sad.

There's rarely hard feelings after a boxing or UFC fight...it's just part of the job.

I think the ending was rushed, but I like the note it ends on because it's thematically appropriate. Unlike Stark, Steve was willing to forgive even when the man threatened his best friends life because he's more empathetic than Stark. Stark's support of the accords is overcompensation, because he knows he has a hard time acting ethically and connecting with others in his day to day life.

>Go fucking read the original Civil War you fuck.
Damn you're dense

Millar is all about getting his wallet stacked so he probably strategically shits on movies that don't hire him as a consultant.

It's long deleted from his forum, but I remember back in 2012 he ranked Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter higher than Whedon's Avengers.

>he ranked Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter higher than Whedon's Avengers
Who didn't?

I imagine people with eyeballs.

Everyone is loving Rogue One but it didn't click for him.

>There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

dude half of the films he disliked were Disney films, and theres nothing wrong with disliking something.

thats honestly not a bad opinion

He wrote a shit load of Superman stories, ones that were unique in they were lacking his usual edgelord tendencies.

Millar is just butthurt they didn't do a 1:1 adaptation of his shit.

What did you think I meant? I'm telling Millar to read his own book because he wrote it to be the most serious, plodding, overdramatic piece of shit that threw the personalities of most of the MU out the window for the most sales possible.
The movie managed to keep everyone's characters mostly acurate with some light comedy thrown in.

>and the over-commitment to comedy is part of what ruined the first Avengers.
And what completely destroyed Age of Ultron.

Civil War was absolute garbage. So many plot holes, horrible visuals, characters, music. Characters acting OOC, terrible story, too much filler.How can anyone like it?

He plays for the competition he has to talk shit

It was a very good super hero movie, better than most, great villain.

There weren't any heroes in it and the villain sucked. A complete waste of time.

>“‘Civil War’ had a good opening twenty mins, but then I honestly can’t remember what the movie was about,”
WTF I love Millar now?!

>Mark fucking Millar of all people saying this

Say it. What the fuck, Millar?

Source: your ass

>forgetting my niggas Sam and Buck scenes
Those were great. I also liked the one with Vision phasing through Wanda's room wall without permission.

It surely needed more booby-trapped vaginas.

>but then I honestly can’t remember what the movie was about
This applies to every Marvel movie.

They are idiots then, look at how much Stan Lee enjoys himself.

What Brubaker thought of Winter Soldier?

He even made a cameo in that one.

Well, to be honest Winter Soldier was a good movie and it didn't deviate much from the original concept of "bucky is brainwashed by the russians and turned into their boytoy assassin and cap tries to save him". Civil War went in a completely different direction than the comic.

gamesradar.com/mark-millar-how-man-steel-traumatised-create-huck/

>Civil War went in a completely different direction than the comic.
And let's be honest, benefited from that.

>Mark Millar Didn't Really Dig Captain America: Civil War

What did he mean by this?

Indeed.

One less stinky pile of shit is still shit.

>Zack Snyder played 8 dimensional mind chess to get people ready for a lighter Superman

Is Zack a 12th level intellect?

That's the generic, empty comment that someone from Sup Forums would make

You're an idiot with no taste if you don't think the movies are better than the absolute garbage they're based off of.

>implying you aren't Sup Forums scum too
When was the last time you read a comic?

Doesn't make it any less true.

What did he mean by this?

>Jack Kirby
>absolute garbage
Go read comics.

That only the directors would say something so stupid.

Pretty much. This is marvel though. They never get things right on the first try. Their adaptations always fix the issues of the source material.

Like the X-men cartoon did the phoenix saga better.
The Maximum carnage game did that saga better
Civil War movie certainly did better than the comics.

Millar seems jealous.

You really thought that mediocre flick was awesome? Do you ever watch movies outside of Disney?

I don't say anywhere in my post the movie is awesome, I said its better than the comics.

You responded to "the movie is awesome" with "pretty much." Not that much of a reach. One way or another, thinking Millar would be jealous of that mess is ridiculous.

Eh, Civil War the comic at least felt like a civil war. CA:CW feels at different times as a Bucky movie costarring Steve, a Tony movie costarring Steve, and Winter Soldier costarring the Avengers. It never quite coheres into a complete experience.

How is that anyway? The only Star Wars movie I liked with the first one and I haven't even seen The Force Awakens, but for some reason I found myself interested in seeing Rogue One. Worth it?

I certainly think the movie is awesome compared to the comic. I won't deny that sentiment. That's because I think the comic is fucking awful. The movie is not a "mess" as much as the comic. The movie is weak at times, but it's pretty cohesive. Mediocre sure, fine, I can agree there. Still, leaps and bounds better than the source material.

If you think the comic is anything above dog shit..... then maybe you're Mark Millar....

Wow, the guy who botched Civil War 1 didn't like the actually good Civil War movie. I'm so freaking shocked.

Well I liked all the originals plus TFA, and in my mind RO blows TFA out of the water. Make of that what you will.

>actually good
lol

That movie is not ageing very well

Maybe he should stop fucking licking goats, then.

Civil War is still great.

I'd disagree with you on most points, but...Mark Millar's Civil War really was garbage. The movie improved on it tenfold.

>Mark "womb is rigged if you try to abort the baby" Millar is bitching about Civil War not being light hearted enough

>I'll use what other people said as an argument!
Want to try again?

You're missing the point. There's a difference between bleak and violent/dark. Millar's works, like Nemesis, generally DO have a tongue-in-cheek element to them. They're generally really not grim or bleak in tone, just really violent and edgy.

Why? The other user proved their point with that image.

Sorry critics didn't like your garbage, but you can't waive that away by ignoring them.

Wave what away? What do I care what critics said? "Other people liked it" is not an argument.

If you can't actually defend the movie, just said so.

I feel like the only way they could have really made Civil War work was to make it a two parter.
First to make the lines and second for the actual conflict.

Try just a little harder when trolling, user.

Or if you really don't understand what critics do or what critical consensus is, do some reading and come back later when you're equipped to have an intelligent discussion.