Why didn't he shoot the little bastard...

Why didn't he shoot the little bastard? He had it all and he could have had so much more if the little fucker never provoked him in the first place.

I really wish Kubrick could have made that Napoleon movie now because after watching this I can say it is my favorite Kubrick film.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mpoNjrM5DlY
youtube.com/watch?v=XjPSGuJskxM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The moral of the story is to not be weak and to feel no compassion for anyone but yourself.

I think one of the reasons why he didn't shoot Bullington was because he didn't want to put Mrs.Lyndon through anymore grief and he realized he truly loved her so to spare her the pain of losing another child he shot into the ground.

Choosing not to shoot Bullingdon is the one selfless act we see Barry commit in the entire story. It's the only thing he ever does out of sympathy to another human being and against his own self-interest, and notably, it happens after he's lost his own son. The fact that Barry's one moment of virtue is greeted with complete indifference and he isn't rewarded for it in any way is, to my mind, what the film's all about. It's incredibly moving to me.

Yeah, this is Kubrick's masterpiece. First half is funny as hell and second half, particularly the ending, is very moving. You get to see Barry growing up from a young bastard to a man willing to show true compassion even if that fucked himself over.

I wonder if Barry would have actually been happy with his cousin if allowed to marry and that german broad as the narrator implied made her sound like a whore but she seemed nice.

The moral of the story is to control your fucking lust and not kiss random whores while your wife is watching. Barry was a fucking asshole and he was in that whole situation because he felt no compassion for his wife and adopted son

It wasn't to imply she was a whore but that she needed to be friendly to men to look out for her child because her husband probably died in combat.

This is far and away Kubrick's best work imo

Barry was a womanizer and probably would have made any girl unhappy. The only thing he did right was be a dad but even that ended in tragedy.

Or maybe he realized he had been a cunt to the kid but hoped he'd just chill with no harm done

>Why didn't he shoot the little bastard?

Because he admired his bravery for duelling despite being a useless fop certain to lose.
Because Bullingdon was the only person who connected him to who he actually was; a cheap imposter.
Because his wife was clinging to her sanity and it would kill her, effectively destroying Lyndon too.
Because he had finally tasted loss after a lifetime of gambling and was afraid.
Because he was making an appeal to the kindness of others for the first time in his life.
Because he was in debt on every level.
Because society had rejected him totally.
Because he was spent, finished, done.
Because he was already dead.
Because Bullingdon had become the last man standing before they even picked up their pistols.

droolingwojak.jpg

>droolingwojak.jpg

I have fuck all idea what ur saying here m8, maybe i need to lurkmoar.

Why did Barry become a womanizer though? His cousin was probably the only one he was with at the beginning and I assume the german woman was just because they both needed something so it was mutually beneficial yet he only became a womanizer when he came into Mrs.Lyndon's money.

I used to think like all of you - that Barry had some sort if conscience and decided to be merciful out of kindness/love.
It was then pointed out to me that it was seen as much more honourable to have a duel where no one is killed - and if your opponent misses, then it is honourable to miss as well.
Barry didn't do it out of mercy - he did it as a final effort to get back some honour, which we had seen him lose throughout the 2nd half of the film.

Other than the cheating was he really that dishonorable? He had to have quit that to even be accepted by the upper echelons of society so they wouldn't eschew them from their company like the one gent does after Barry with good reason finally snaps on the little shit for lambasting his mother and stepfather in front of the company that Barry strived to be accepted by. Barry wasn't a bad step father until Bullington started treating him like one as shown in the scene where he doesn't accept Barry's embrace.

real question is where that cousin hide the handkerchief

That's not how Ryan O'Neal plays the scene though. Bullingdon and his squad pick up Barry at the club as he's still grieving for his son, and Barry has an air of reluctance and lament throughout the whole duel that we only previously saw from him after Grogan got popped. Look at how Barry's behaving in the Bullingdon duel compared to all the previous ones. It's not because he's afraid, Barry is very brave in all the other duels, and anyway he knows Bullingdon is a bitch nigga. Something else is going on, inside of Barry.

The titties were fucking amazing looking in corsets but I guess that's how we got pushups so double edged sword.

How do you not side with the son? Barry had genital access to a literal 10 and completely wasted it all.

The son was a dick when Barry was willing to be kind to him. Rewatch the scene where Barry tries to give him the slightest affection and he spurns it just because he's fucking his mother then Barry rightfully so whoops him for treating him like shit.

>Barry had genital access to a literal 10
Kubrick couldn't even speak to Marisa Berenson during filming.
Confirmed for most beautiful woman ever?

Because the son was a creep who wanted to fuck his own mother. At least Barry just wanted to fuck his cousin.

>Other than the cheating was he really that dishonorable?
He started courting Lady Lyndon before her husband had died
The cheating
He was on the way to make a wealthy house lose everything because he only wanted to appear wealthy and powerful.
I'd say it's dishonourable to beat your wife's son because they know you don't really love them.
Barry also deserted his post as a soldier, helped a con-artist, and was willing to ruin his own family because of his feelings for his cousin.

This guy gets it

Since when did Barry care about honor? It wasn't even kindness, it was just deciding against evil.The kid seemed to pose no threat and was his wife's son. Plus it was pretty standard to fire with no purpose of harm.

>Since when did Barry care about honor?
He hd nothing left to care for - he lost his son, lost his power, and was losing respect. I've been told that by not killing his step-son, he would have had the chance of reclaiming some respect. If he killed his step-son (especially under those circumstances) then he would have surely lost all respect, all honour.

He never had much honor. Even before his som, I don't think he would have killed him

DAAAAH DUN...

DI DAAAAH DUN...

DAAAAH DUN...

DI DAAAAH DUN...

DAAAAH DUN...

DI DAAAAH DUN...

This was a shitty movie and a waste of time

what about the bit where the sheep pulled a carriage?

>deserted his post as a soldier
This is a very weak argument considering the time period and his station. This was still an age of petty family squabbles between rich aristocrats and their hired thugs, not real warfare between nations. They fucked a lot of shit up in the process but there was no honor in it. Just vanity.

Fucking casual this film is considered the Top 100 of films ever made. Go watch Twilight or pedo IT instead faggot.

Barry Lyndon was a masterpiece, along with 2001: A Space Odyssey and Eyes Wide Shut.

>leaving out A Clockwork Orange

And I forget to add: Dr Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange and Paths of Glory.

Full Metal Jacket and The Killing were good films though.

hardly. If he felt compassion for Lady Lyndon he would have held his fortune and made it into real aristocracy. Her brat son would have had no reason invade his mother's recital so provocatively if he hadn't known Barry was fucking whores.

>to spare her the pain of losing another child he shot into the ground.

that thought hadn't crossed my mind. for some reason I think of Barry's son as belonging only to him, without blood relation to Lady Lyndon. strange.

>The fact that Barry's one moment of virtue is greeted with complete indifference and he isn't rewarded for it in any way is, to my mind, what the film's all about.

I think I took something similar away. virtue and morality exists somewhere far apart from honour and social prestige. men in the film are commended for extending greater mens' power and for inheritance of hereditary privilege. seeing as Barry is punished for exercising virtue by losing his leg and the love of his life, there isn't any grounds for interpreting the film as promoting virtue. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I think this is why people accuse Kubrick of coldness. His world is indifferent towards morality. Only power and chance matter.

I read the scene this way. I figured Barry was naive and underestimated the kid's bitterness.

the range of equally plausible motivations really highlights how fucking good this movie is. Kubrick does ambiguity so well. too many stories hinge on single factors or linear chains of cause and effect, especially period dramas. In a way Barry's final duel is similar to Bill coming home to find the mask on his pillow in Eyes Wide Shut. Whether his wife found the mask or the rich partygoers are literally illumanti and had it planted as a warning, the effect is to illustrate Bill's neuroses and mindstate in its fullest. the open possibility is important.

great thread anons btw. i still believe in you Sup Forums

the goat
youtube.com/watch?v=mpoNjrM5DlY

Is there a better film trailer?
youtube.com/watch?v=XjPSGuJskxM
>but I think this is why people accuse Kubrick of coldness. His world is indifferent towards morality
I really don't see why people say Kubrick is cold or lacks humanity. Many of his films deal with 'humanity' and 'emotion' - A Clockwork Orange explores the removal of a man's ability to choose, and how others perceive him (and torture/use him); Full Metal Jacket blatantly looks at the dehumanisation a soldier must go through to 'do what's necessary' for war.
Barry Lyndon has plenty of humanity in it - it essentially follows Barry's search for a place 'higher up' in the world, with a father figure he can look up to. When he can't find one, he desires to become one - but fails, with his son dead and his step-son removing him from his life. You could say it's rather cruel or cynical, but it is still telling a human story.

I don't think coldness = humanity or emotion. coldness, to me, refers more to a bleak view of the human spirit. he is definitely concerned with cruelty and injustice but he's extremely cynical. His movies lament the absence of compassion. He absolutely values virtue, because all of his stories center around its perversion, but I can't see how any of his works argue for its practice in an undeserving, uncaring world.

Instead I'll watch Stanley Kubrick's other films that are all better than this turd that offers nothing except some good period sets, costumes and visuals.

If you think Barry Lyndon is a good movie then you have shit taste.

>but I can't see how any of his works argue for its practice in an undeserving, uncaring world.

to elaborate on this, what I mean to say is that characters who practice compassion and behave virtuously aren't rewarded by their communities. they don't gain anything. they're usually punished for it.

Bullingdon wasn't wrong either. Barry was poison to his family and would've continued to be so.

I always took it as a kind of way to humiliate Bullingdon. Like he didn't think he was worth shooting or something.

No, I really think itbwas meant to be mercy. Barry was far from perfect but he was aware he had wronged Bullingdon, he was aware Bullingdon would never be able to actually beat him an the duel and he had no interest in keeping the feud between them alive just out of hurt pride. Bullingdon was, however, absolutely in the wrong for not accepting Barry's peace offer and insisting on shooting him just out of spite. Chances are he took it much the way you did.

Why did he add a one dimensional bad guy in the first place. The movie started to suck when he got married

The only sane person in this thread. Tarkovsky was right about Kubrick.

>appeal to popularity
>on Sup Forums
sad

The real question is how did the little shrimp beat that soldier in a fistfight?

Why was divorce even a thing in 18th century england?

>one dimensional bad guy in the first place.
He's the main character

Read about Henry VIII my friend

He was sober

DUN DUN

>hardly. If he felt compassion for Lady Lyndon he would have held his fortune and made it into real aristocracy.
he had no impulse control though. he was just inherently irresponsible and reckless

yeah but barry did so much fucked up shit to bullington. stepdad issues run deep especially when they cuck your real dad, squander your fortune, beat the shit outta you in public... there wasn't a lot of room for forgiveness there

deloping is for chumps