THE FLASH (1990)

Thoughts on this?

Worth watching?

It was better than I expected. A much more balanced show drama wise than the CW version. Special effects are passable and the only downside is there's fewer "super" villains. Definitely worth checking out a few episodes.

It's pretty fun, especially the episodes with actual supervillains. Too bad there's so few of them.

Also the foam muscle suit is ridiculous at fist, they eventually tone it down later.

>A much more balanced show drama wise than the CW version

Eh... Not really. It was pretty melodramatic, it just had a different approach that didn't really allow for any serialized drama. Far as I can tell the only sort of overarching storyline was the little love triangle between Barry, Tina and Megan Lockhart.

I personally loved it. It was flawed, sure, but it was a lot of fun. Great cast, fun villains, good effects. I've had the DVDs ever since they were released.

Personally, I prefer a LOT more over CW Flash. Despite it not exactly being faithful material-wise, 90s Flash felt like classic comic Flash in tone and fun.

Pretty comfy actually. I hope cw Barry visits his earth.

Earth-3 is modeled after the 90's TV show.

It was good when it started introducing villains from the comic, but for some reason they didn't start including them until the tail end of the first season. If they'd rolled out the villains earlier, the show might have found an audience and not been cancelled so quickly.

Dunno why all those older comic-based live-action shows avoided super villains. Wonder Woman, Hulk, Spider-Man... At least Flash HAD super villains, even if they seemed reluctant to use them.

Because supervillains are both expensive and silly, and mosr of these shows wanted to be taken serioiusly and were expensive enough as they were.

I actually preferred Pollux's costume over Flash's.

Turn the weird symbol into a silver lightning bolt and it would've been perfect.

Except for Trickster, the comic villains are pretty boring in this, not to mention barely faithful, specially Mirror Master.

There are way better episodes than those.

Silly, yeah, but way WAY less boring than "another generic mobster", "another generic mad scientist", "a mobster again", "yet another mobster", "ooh a crooked businessman", "and now we're back to mobster".

The Bixby/Farigno Hulk series is a fuckin snoozefest.

>That spelling

Holy shit i am drunk.

The episode where the killer of his brother reappears is better even than the Trickster ones

>The Bixby/Farigno Hulk series is a fuckin snoozefest.

dem's fightin' words, boy

Also the episodes with Nightshade

That's because the TV series wasn't about action and smashing. It could've been like the other Marvel TV shows at the time, but it didn't. Instead, it took an approach that while changes the origin of the character (a lot), still keeps true to the idea of a tortured man with a fragmented soul. It's a drama. Hell, it was reported that the main audience was originally mothers and women, then kids, then fathers.

Personally, I think it's goofy, but for 70's television, it is topkino.

There was a two-parter with another, evil Hulk, which I think is the only instance of the show using a super villain, unless you count the Kraven-style human hunter from that episode that was one big homage to The Most Dangerous Game.

>There was a two-parter with another, evil Hulk, which I think is the only instance of the show using a super villain

Shit, I never saw that one. Sounds good.

The TV movies had guest appearances from Thor and Daredevil, and featured Kingpin as the villain in one of them, making him the only comics bad guy to ever show up in the series.

But a lot of fans don't seem to "count" the Hulk TV movies because they were so unlike the TV show.

It was called 'The First'.

Apperantly there was a Hulk before Banner.

And I believe Banner uses the cure for himself on the evil Hulk and is unable to replicate it himself or something.

It's been a while.

I just remember Evil Hulk being taller and uglier then Good? Hulk.

Watch the pilot episode and if doesn't really click with you, skip to the Trickster episodes, they're the highlight.

>tfw Prank never made the leap to comics like Harley did.

And it wasn't just adaptations either, the whole "no super villains" thing also seemed to extend to OC stuff like The Greatest American Hero.

DC seemed a bit more lenient, at least with Batman and occasionally Superman. Not so much the Wondie or Shazam shows, dunno about Swamp Thing.

>Also the foam muscle suit is ridiculous at fist, they eventually tone it down later.

I kinda like it.
It has a nice comic book feel.

Loved the Pilot. The rest, not so much.

Why'd they call him Pollux?

>dunno about Swamp Thing.

Arcane and General Sunderland were the only comic villains to appear in the Swamp Thing TV series, but they were nothing like the versions from the at least in appearance. Arcane occasionally made some Un-Men, so that part of the comic sometimes popped up.

Swamp Thing seemed like a compromise between the older method of "no villains from the comics, period" and "use tons of comic bad guys and make it colorful". We got to see Swamp Thing fighting his arch-nemesis every week and that was good enough.

>Why'd they call him Pollux?

During the first 2/3 of the show, they were following the 70s and 80s model of superhero TV shows by refusing to include super villains from the comics.

So when they introduced an evil Flash, it couldn't be the Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom, etc. It had to be a "new" character.

They started introducing actual villains from the comics in the last stretch of episodes, but by then it was too late.

The reason for the name is the greek myth of Castor and Pollux, who were twins.

Right, I gathered that, but what's the significance of 'Pollux' as a name?

I'm just remembering the mythical twins, but I don't recall that they were related to speed in any way.

Castor and Pollux.

Pollux sacrificed himself for Castor like Pollux did for Barry.

The name didn't have anything to do with speed, just the whole "opposites/twins" thing, with Pollux being the doppelganger of Flash.

It was a labored reference.

They were twins from different fathers, Castor being mortal (IE human) and Pollux being a demigod (ie inhuman).

When Castor "dies", Pollux sacrifices his immortality for him. Pollux ends up taking a bullet meant for Barry.

Poetry.