Planet Hulk confirmed for Ragnarok

Planet Hulk confirmed for Ragnarok

comingsoon.net/movies/news/796649-thor-ragnarok-set-to-include-planet-hulks-sakaar#/slide/1

subtle marvel, SUBTLE

You know, I really hate that the only takeaway people got from Planet Hulk was the Gladiator stuff. Nothing about leading the armies, or the wide cast of characters, just Hulk dressed up as a Gladiator.

I hate it.

Using the Planet Hulk story as a boosting point for Thor and Hulk going on a manly viking cosmic roadtrip seems pretty inspired to be honest. It feels like that high concept sense of adventure the Thor films have to be honest mostly lacked, and moving away from sticking rigidly to a vague sense of Nordicness and more into the crazy Simonson science-fantasy which the films have had some of the look of but not the content.

I have a lot of faith in Taika Waititi.

It can't be helped. Universal won't give up so Hulk co-starring a movie is the best chance they have at Planet Hulk before the super hero trend melts away.

We've known that for months.

How long till Universal's rights expire?
I want to see Hulk vs Red Hulk so bad.
Also fuck Universal for holding onto Namor.

Will the insectoid Sakaarans from GOTG return? I figured those guys were probably a slave army that had been purchased by Ronan or Thanos to help Ronan search for the orb. Aside from Korath MCU Ronan didn't seem to command much of a following among his people, presumably being something of an exile and all.

What was your first clue Einstein, that art of Hulk in gladiator gear? Im pissed that A: We're never getting another solo Hulk featuring She Hulk and B: THERES NO GODDAMN BETA RAY BILL IN THIS

I love Guardians but fucking hate how they completely wasted Ronan.

I didn't really see it as a waste. It was an homage to both his role in Annihilation and Ultimate with a villainous twist befitting his classic temperament. My only regret is that he didn't live to terrorize Mar-Vell and Carol.

Told you motherfuckers.

Latino Review called it back in what 2010, 2011?

I'm ready for the ride

If they haven't expired yet they probably never will. It's likely to be on a per-solo basis, but they'll have like, 3 total that they can claim distribution rights on.

If the Norton movie hadn't tanked, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Namor I think was said to have reverted, but I don't think it was part of the same deal in any case - it was more likely they'd optioned Namor to avoid any dispute over the character/origin of the Mariner, a human mutant with abilities very much like Namor's (other than flight), in the 1995 film Waterworld. I would guess those only stayed out as long as they did because someone who produced Waterworld was still clinging to the possibility of a reboot/remake/sequel and couldn't be convinced to part with their share of the contract. They probably died, I'd be looking at obituaries of producers. There's often a big fire sale of rights from a producer's personal production company right after they die, unless they had a partner or someone to carry on after them. Most of them just get old, retire, and sit on whole catalogs of shit, selling things off every couple of years or when people really, really want them. It's a nice nest egg if you bought smart.

You'll get Rulk in the inevitable Thunderbolts movie.

> It was an homage to both his role in Annihilation
What the hell, nigger? The Ronan in the movie was the generic bad guy from the pre-Annihilation era. He was completely devoid of any character of personality and the most characterization he had was one fucking line from a background character.

Calling it that far back would be wishful thinking, not insider scoop. Literally nobody could have known what they'd be putting out for the third Thor movie before the first had even hit theaters, but we already knew there'd be no more solo Hulks thanks to Ed Norton.

Hulk and Thor are boring than fuck

Nobody knows what the hell is going on with Namor. His film rights are the equivalent of Hawkman's origin at this point.

It's a shame because I really wanted to see the Atlantean army attacking Thanos' minions.

What is this, an ensemble movie or the goddamn Rio carnival??? Who're they gonna put in next, Harokin, Karnilla, Surtur, Tarene, Perrikus, Desak, the Mangog?

>TFW we'll never see the Mangog on the big screen

Surtur is already in this, along with Hela and Skurge

I was talking about the exile bit. Annihilation kicks off with Ronan being exiled from the Kree for being something of a radical terrorist. IIRC he also hooks up with Korath in Furman's mini. I thought it was neat that those aspects found their way in, along with him being an underling of Thanos like in Ultimate.

>He was completely devoid of any character of personality

Nah, I think Lee Pace did a good job with the hammy delusions of grandeur. He sold it as a guy who really zealously believes that he's in the right for his accusing. It was almost religious.

And I don't really think Ronan's the type of character that the movies ought to linger on. Again, it sucks that he won't get to be a villain for Mar and Carol, but it's not like we're ever gonna get War of Kings or anything. And Annihilators was hot garbage.

actually Surtur is in the movie I think

this

>Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster

Also, no solo Hulk movie with a full-blown Leader.

I so wanted an amiable Leader who genuinely is just as smart as the Hulk is strong. And before the end of the movie, everybody's like "Hey, why not let him win?"

I was wondering if they would do some team up films in the future to handle other Hulk stuff. Like an Avengers film where the Leader makes Red Hulk and all that.

Overkill. But, okay, he belongs in Ragnarok.

UNLIKE THE FUCKING HULK!

Most people didn't actually read or watched the thing so what did you expect?

It's just the meme thing to do to be excited for the "idea" of gladiator hulk

>Annihilation kicks off with Ronan being exiled from the Kree for being something of a radical terrorist.
Except that's wrong. In Annihilation Ronan is exiled for committing "treason" against the Kree empire. It was never specified that it was because he went too far with his Kree supremacy like you claim, then it's revealed it was all a ploy by some noble merchant house to keep him away from the empire, after they lobotomized the Supreme Intelligence, so they could usurp the power. And even then he was still a respected figure among the Kree despite his status as criminal.

In Ultimate, Thanos was his fucking father and Ronan hated him for killing his mother. He wasn't an underling per se.

>Nah, I think Lee Pace did a good job with the hammy delusions of grandeur
This is some high level shilling. It's widely accepted Ronan is one of the worst villains in a Marvel movie. He barely got any scenes to flesh out his character, most of the time it was just him looking evil, and that one where he makes Thanos look like a bigger threat. There was honestly nothing indicating or showing he was some sort of religious fanatic/space nazi aside of that one line from the shop owner. It was awful.

>Thor Ragnarok movie featuring Planet Hulk

>No Beta Ray Bill

It hurts

Don't forget Mr. Doctor has some new bargains to do in Ragnarok also.

>they lobotomized the Supreme Intelligence

The notion is completely insane.

And yeah. Ronan deserved better. He's a pretty complex character we know virtually nothing about. Heck, we've never even seen him without his helmet, have we? Is that bolted on?

>Hulk
Yeah.
>and Thor
Neck yourself.

he was in the vidya nigga
final boss

>yfw he's Techno in MCU Thunderbolts

Hulk stole his spot.

>Planet Hulk confirmed for Ragnarok

What did he mean by this?

I believe execs feared normies would make fun of him because he's just Horse Thor and they went with the Incredible Cuck instead.

I'll admit that it's been awhile since I last read Annihilation, I did recall the bit about it being a scheme by House Fiyero. Again, I'm not saying it was a close adaptation, but the notion of him being exiled while still carrying out his role as Accuser did indeed remind me of that event.

>In Ultimate, Thanos was his fucking father and Ronan hated him for killing his mother

Of course the family connection wasn't there and I would have been disappointed if it was. But are you saying Ronan didn't come to resent Thanos in his own way over the movie? It's not like they were on great terms. Regardless, I don't particularly care for Ultimate Ronan or Thanos, I simply found their working relationship in the movie to be a neat little nod.

>This is some high level shilling. It's widely accepted Ronan is one of the worst villains in a Marvel movie

I'm not shilling and I don't really care what the hivemind thinks. I'm just giving my opinion, man. I liked Pace's performance, I don't think the movie required a villain with any more depth or exploration, and I enjoyed the take on the character with the caveat that he didn't live to terrorize his true foes.

You're free to disagree of course, but I don't take kindly to you belittling my opinion.

>There was honestly nothing indicating or showing he was some sort of religious fanatic/space nazi aside of that one line from the shop owner

I think it's more about how he acted. Telling is not always necessary, showing is sometimes enough. In this case I felt it was. I haven't talked him up to be some amazing villain but I wasn't disappointed either. Again, I don't think he's a character that the movies need to waste a lot of focus on. I just wish he got to pull some of the strings in the Captain Marvel movie.

And water is liquid.

What "vidya"?

"Water is WET", you TWIT.

There's a chance he isn't dead (that part of the disentigration that looked like something flying off) or that he can be revived. I think they even brought him back in the GOTG cartoon.

Like I needed less reasons to watch Thor Ragnarok

>Ultimate
I mentioned he had different reasons to hate him and of course he wasn't just an "underling". There was barely if any anything from Ultimate or Annihilation in the MCU Ronan character. Anyone would have worked as an underling of Thanos anyway, he was just there to remind people he still exists.

>showing is sometimes enough
That's the problem he did fucking nothing to show us what he was about, except beating up people to remind us he's the evil guy in turn. I wish they'd save him for a future Annihilators ensemble or an Annihilation war adaptation, but he was just disposable generic bad guy #35. A complete waste.

Just like Red Skull right? :^)

Meh, either way I don't see him climbing back to a respectable position in the Kree. I think it's safe to write him off at this point.

>That's the problem he did fucking nothing to show us what he was about

The movie made it pretty clear that he hates Xandar for what generations of their people have done to generations of his. He believes that regardless of his exile (I'll be honest, I don't think this was ever explicitly mentioned, but the lack of any Kree support and his bargain with Thanos seemed to imply it) he is still carrying out his righteous duty to the Kree as an Accuser of their enemies. That's enough motivation for what is otherwise a reprehensible antagonist for me.

>I wish they'd save him for a future Annihilators ensemble or an Annihilation war adaptation, but he was just disposable generic bad guy #35

If they ever do an Annihilation movie there will already be enough character to focus on without him. He didn't even play that large a role in the event, his mini was largely disconnected and he primarily served to oust House Fiyero and rally the remnants of the Kree in the main series. That's a role that could easily go to a deposed Mar-Vell if he manages to avoid death in his first outing.

I liked Ronan's turn as an anti-hero as much as anyone but I think he's a little overrated for a character who's accolades largely amount to "remember when he was a supporting character that wasn't a huge fuckwit for a few years?"

Also I seriously doubt an Annihilators movie will ever happen. Their series was pretty bad, in part because their cumulative power level makes it hard for them to carry a plot without turning the threat up way past 11. If they ever get around to using them in another movie (like Thanos Imperative or something) he will be missed, but I ain't holdin my breath.

I believe Miek was also confirmed several months ago.
Odds are it'll be like Planet Hulk, only with the Grandmaster taking the Red King's place.

I'm just having trouble figuring out where Hela, Surtur, and the titular Ragnarok figure into things.

>I'm not shilling and I don't really care what the hivemind thinks. I'm just giving my opinion, man. I liked Pace's performance, I don't think the movie required a villain with any more depth or exploration, and I enjoyed the take on the character with the caveat that he didn't live to terrorize his true foes.
Yeah, I enjoyed his hammy brand of villainy too... not in spite of, but BECAUSE he reminded me of Space Monster M from the Aquabats Super Show.

I would not be surprised if he pops up close to Infinity War shitting his pants over Thanos and even willing to work with Steve. Or he's a loyal servant of Thanos till he can backstab him.

Or you use that to make him more dangerous since he has nothing to lose. A shame to waste the potential for a later redemption after building his character more.

>Or you use that to make him more dangerous since he has nothing to lose. A shame to waste the potential for a later redemption after building his character more.

While I certainly agree his death was premature, again, it's more because of it precluding his connection to Mar-Vell and Carol than because I want to see him as an antihero. I guess I just prefer my Ronan to be more villainous.

You said it yourself. His motivations and character are barely shown or mentioned that you are making assumptions to round him up.

I don't know why are we still having this discussion when it's obvious the MCU Ronan was completely awful.

>He didn't even play that large a role in the event

>brought the much needed reinforcements to the resistance and became a leading figure
>kicked the shit out of ravenous, the second in command of annihilus
Everybody got overshadowed by Nova, and also he had his own centric sub-plot that ultimately tied into the event, and was also a main for Conquest and War of Kings.

>he's overrated
kek what?

Barely anyone gives a shit about Ronan. It was actually interesting seeing him in a "heroic" role and his tenure as Kree Emperor, instead of generic bad guy with a hammer. You're full of shit, nigger.

Good thing I was proposin plenty of villiany and revenge if he came back. Any redemption would come much later or even not at all if he's better at being bad.

You don't need to redeem him, just play his hatred for Thanos so he gives the Avengers/Guardians a hand just to spite him.

That'd be cool.

>If they haven't expired yet they probably never will

They won't expire. Marvel and Universal renegotiated in 2006 to work together on Hulk movies.

They CAN work out a deal. It's up to Disney and Universal. I think they just didn't see it being worth while. With 2 Hulk movies that did ok and all these other successes, why make a movie you have to share money with? It's not Spider-man who is a proven success. I think we may see a Hulk solo movie down the line, but...... maybe not. They get to use him and sell his toys, that's what matters most.

>His motivations and character are barely shown or mentioned that you are making assumptions to round him up

It's unnecessary to expound upon them any further. He has a zealous hatred of Xandar that is almost religiously traditional, he maintains his status as judge, jury, and executioner of Kree beliefs regardless of what his government thinks. That's enough for his role in the movie.

Could they have done more? Sure, but it would have bogged down the movie. The GOTG of any era aren't particularly known for having compelling morally ambiguous nemeses. The Badoon are off-limits and the Church is pointless without Warlock, plus that plot pretty well fizzled out in the comics regardless. Taserface is being used in the sequel minus his affiliation to the Stark. Does Marvel even have the rights to Blastaar?

>I don't know why are we still having this discussion when it's obvious the MCU Ronan was completely awful.

That's your opinion, I disagree. He wasn't amazing but he served his role adequately. I don't know why you're continuing to harp on it, I have presented my argument to the best of my ability.

>was also a main for Conquest and War of Kings

What did he do in Conquest again? I remember him chewing Quill out in the prologue but apart from Star-Lord's suicide mission I really didn't care for that event. And no Shi'ar means War of Kings isn't happening without some major revisions anyway.

>Barely anyone gives a shit about Ronan. It was actually interesting seeing him in a "heroic" role and his tenure as Kree Emperor, instead of generic bad guy with a hammer

I give a shit about Ronan to the extent that I enjoy him as a villainous Kree. I regret that he died but he was appropriately villainous for my taste.

I'm not any more full of shit than you for going full "not muh anti-hero Ronan" and holding it against the movie.

huh...I didn't expect to meet my soul mate today...

Wasnt Silver Surfer in Planet Hulk?

This. I could have given less of a shit about any of the other Thor movies, but this shit has me interested.

Except we all fucking know Beta Ray Bill should have been the buddy to go on wacky realm adventures with.

In the animated adaptation, they used Beta Ray Bill instead of Silver Surfer.

Probably a Celestial too

2017 lookin nice and cosmic