Jodorowsky's Dune

>...settling on Pink Floyd and Magma for some of the music; artists H. R. Giger, Chris Foss and Jean Giraud for set and character design; Dan O'Bannon for special effects; and Salvador DalĂ­, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, David Carradine, Mick Jagger, Udo Kier, Amanda Lear and others for the cast.
>Salvador Dali as the motherfucking emperor of the universe.
I'm pretty sure you can't pack that much awesome into a single film without forming an event horizon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Puld_CMrgms
duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/16
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I'm pretty sure you can't pack that much awesome into a single film without forming an event horizon.
I think you missed the part where it didn't get made.

is thera a movie with a similar type of cast? one that was actually made i mean

>WE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD

The passion he has alone about it deserve the funding

idiot redditor moron retard

literally a teenager fantasizing about how he will make the MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER and then getting butthurt that no one is stupid enough to waste money on such a mess

We need a big SF movie where Foss is the main designer.

Surprised nobody has tried to kick-start a Stainless Steel Rat franchise. I started reading those because of the covers.

>settling on Pink Floyd and Magma for some of the music
Why would a science fiction film set on a desert planet need this?

I dont know, try some dmt

dude drugs lmao

Coulda shoulda woulda: the movie

Jodorowsky just went around and promised everyone any insane amount of money they asked for.
It would never happen.

Also, it would've been dragged down by Jodorowsky and his kid.

Jodorowsky wanted each planet to have its own distinct ost, these two warent for the desert planet.

do you know what dmt is or what it does?

now that some parts of the script have been leaked we know it wouldnt even have been all that different to Lynchs dune aside from a couple of scenes that would have probably turned out badly (later days Orson Welles as the Baron leading a procession dancing while floating in the air during some orgy)

>Movie is ready to be made, studio is paying one billion dollar a minute or whatever ridiculous amount Dali is asking
>Listen m8, we just want to make sure you don't decide to literally just take a shit on a film strip and decide to call that a movie, but otherwise you can do whatever you want
>THIS IS AN OUTRAGE, I DEMAND COMPLETE CREATIVE CONTROL, CANCEL EVERYTHING!
>Now let's make a documentary about how this could've been the most awesome movie ever but the big meany studios totally killed it for no reason because they suck

how old are you?

>wouldnt even have been all that different to Lynchs dune
yeah no shit, it's Dune

It would have been shit, but it would have inspired many great movies for sure.

old enough to know this shit obviously based off a psychedelic trip. The colors, the costume, the shapes hell even the story scream of a trip in lala land.

Jodorowsky tried to make it sound like some fundamentally different re-imagining though.

Aside from a couple scenes, characters backstory and the ending he really didnt change much though, both movies have scenes and dialogues that are exactly the same.

Isn't that basically the point of Dune?

No - spice isn't just taken as a 'special drug'. The reason people are addicted to spice is because it is EVERYWHERE; in the food people eat, in the atmopshere, etc. It means people can't leave the planet, or else they will need to take special measures.
Sure there are those spice orgies, but spice is much more than that. Spice addiction can be a visual representation of someone 'going native' - by having blue eyes. Smugglers don't get fully blue eyes because they eat food that isn't Arakinian, and they leave once they have finished their job.
You could say spice is a 'drug' in the sense that it is addictive and debilitating to part without it, but it's more than just recreational/for rituals.
That's what I took from the first book anyway

Jodorowsky's a hack though, Loved by plebs though and I'm sure the film would have been the bestest ever xd zomg

youtube.com/watch?v=Puld_CMrgms
Based Jodo.
The document itself is quite intriguing and it made me want to do some crazy and imaginative magnum opus. Someday it will happen.

why won't the old fuck just publish the book for a few hundred, I'm sure enough people would buy it.

depends on who takes it. for navigators it's an essential performance enhancing drug, for the natives of arrakis it's part of their culture and taken more recreationally than anything else.

Supergroups don't always make good music.

>why won't the old fuck just publish the book

I think (wish) he still hope to produce it

Except he had the cred and skills to pull that off, but it would bankrupt any studio with enough money to fund it.

just a reminder: jodo wanted ten thousand extras to take a shit on screen.

duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/16

"In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there's going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here's Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, "I can't be in a movie where there's 2,000 extras defecating on screen!"

tl;dr Jodo has a poo fetish

It was sheer malarkey, it never had a hope of getting made. At no point were all those people genuinely in contention to be involved. Anyone could propose something that colorful if they were a professional interviewee and bullshitter. Jodorowsky's friendship with Refn, who can actually make coherent and tonally consistent films, shouldn't blind us to what a con-artist he was.

A film where those elements had to coexist would have been dreadful. There's only one actor in the cast list who had any kind of versatility or psychological naturalism by the standards of the period when the film was purportedly going to be made, and that's David Carradine. The film's conviction and worldbuilding was otherwise going to be anchored by a non-acting celebrity, his model side piece, two veteran actors whose styles were so old-fashioned that they'd become memes, unemployable for anything but cameos, a Eurohorror hack actor, and Mick Jagger, who can't really act either. If it had ever been made, which I doubt was ever really the intention, it would have been like Funky Forest or something, just a completely unimmersive rollercoaster of wacky shit. Dune fans should think themselves lucky that nobody in the film industry made the mistake of taking it seriously.

>Jodorowsky tried to make it sound like some fundamentally different re-imagining though.

he also said he hadn't read the book.

Why do people think that any part of this scenario genuinely took place? I mean, how many cameras would that take to capture? How would you get the angles to make it work? How long would they have to stay there, shitting? How would you arrange for 2000 people to have synchronized bowels? It's wacky memelord bullshit.

If Rampling ever even saw the script, it's more likely that she thought that anyone who'd put that in a screenplay isn't serious enough to work with.

Because he was thinking in terms of midnight movies where you're basically selling to stoned/high rock music fans who don't care about narrative coherence. This is why the stars he proposed were either art memes, old hacks who couldn't be choosy, or then-permanently high David Carradine. His ideal producer would have been someone like the Beatles in the Apple era, easily sold on epic-sounding nonsense and too high to remember how much money they gave to whom. He's the Magic Alex of midnight movies.

>cred and skills

No, neither. Watch El Topo and The Holy Mountain. It's all scale, there's none of the eroticism or precision of imagination of great surrealist art. He's for people who don't get art films and decide that the point of them is "it can mean what you want, because nothing means anything".

>why won't the old fuck just publish the book for a few hundred,

Same reason Capote wouldn't publish Answered Prayers.

>tfw the same faggots that complain about Lynch's Dune being confusing and in some respects unfaithful to the source material cream their pants with Jodorowsky's version, which would have been a convoluted and pretentious mess with little to no relation to Dune.

>his tagline was that he was raping dune

Edgy

Jodorowsky and Ernest Cline represent the paradoxical bookends in creativity

With Cline, who shat out Ready Player One, you have a complete lack of inspired storytelling. Instead it's more of a slapshod narrative structure to insert arbitrary references to things 20-30 years old.

Jodorowsky, he's just a complete fucking loon. He took too many psyches, takes himself too seriously and produced some of the most pointless and yet evocative and infamous films of all time. He directs crap that is worshipped as gold, because the man is so vapid and bereft of any reference to what other people actually want out of a story that his collection of garbage is misinterpreted as modern art.

Not really, they're both the same kind of thing, showmen. Jodorowsky isn't a loon, he's P. T. Barnum doing an ABSOLUTE MADMAN act. Infamy is no credential. The films evoke nothing.

What people like you always miss is the degradation of the audience. His films aren't mistaken for modern art because he's stupider than his art-appreciating audience, they're mistaken for modern art because there are enough people stupider than he is to accord them that esteem. The general public in the English-speaking world are purposely starved of real culture by people who want to keep them stupid and self-loathing. A little Dadaism-and-titties looks like the Sistene Chapel in such a context.

It would have been a bigger raping of the material and a worse movie than Lynch's Dune.

But it would have been the best spectacle movie ever made.

>DUDE LMAO FAMOUS PEOPLE IN THE MOVIE WHOOOAAH SO EPIC SALVADOOR DALLE AS MUFUG*N EMPROR HOOOOLY F*CK
Kill yourself.

Dune for people who have read the book
>humanity has advanced to the stars, but lived through a terrible uprising of the machines, and has since banned all devices capable of thinking like a man. Now man is elevated by substance, breeding or genetics to think in higher places, access hidden abilities, or even see into the future like a Bene Gesserit nun. The emperor is the nominal ruler of all, supported by the elite Sardukar, troops recruited off of his personal hellish prison world. Barons rule under, and a long standing feud comes to head in the novel, with the young scion of the Atriedes line abandonded on the world where the spice melange is harvested, an unforgiving world of titanic creatures, desert tribes and wonder. Also all the religions came together and are one under the orange catholic bible.

Dune for people who have heard of the book
>dude lmao every is getting high constantly and it's like one trippy far out spiritual experience

>best spectacle movie ever made

Apart from the fact that it would have been repellant to look at. But let's be honest, it had no hope of being made at any stage, and I doubt the movie invented by Jodorowsky for his hearers over many decades of interviews was ever down on paper at any stage during the brief period that the movie was a going proposition.

The people who haven't read it are wiser, though, because the description you give is of a fictional universe that only exists to permit mystical and irrational incidents that advance by means of the kind of magical/intuitive thinking commonly believed in by people who use hallucinogenic drugs. Which is why it doesn't get adapted into other media with any success - it's too trippy for the mainstream casual sci-fi audience.

Dune fans will have to face it, the only completely successful adaptation of the book is likely to remain Grimes' album Geidi Primes.

it would have been a bit shit

Spice also activated Paul's abilities if I remember correctly

yeah, it amplifies prescience and omniscience especially when you were genetically designed to be a prophet/savior. essentially the same reason why navigators use it.

>Dune fans will have to face it, the only completely successful adaptation of the book is likely to remain Grimes' album Geidi Primes.

>He is content with experiencing Dune as a mere audiory phenomenon.

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.
The Sleeper must awaken, user. It is largely agreed that ballet is the ultimate medium for adapting Dune.

Jodorowsky didn't even read the book. It would have been dadaist shit like the holy mountain. Lynch version is the best we can hope for. The novel of Dune doesn't lend itself to film. Especially with some greasy anti art spic at the helm.

This. Jodo is a hack fraud and his fanboys are insufferable. They pretend some would be retarded relic of the 70s would have "CHANGED CINEMA!" instead of it being some forgettable piece of shit everyone would have considered as "shitty star wars rip off"

The constant jumping from character to characters point of view and us hearing things they are actually saying and then things they are thinnking does make it nearly impossible to be adapted to film or tv. Lynchs attempt sucked as well, but Jodo saw it nothing more than some place holder for his generic "DUDE WEIRD SHIT LMAO" garbage

In terms of shitloads of famous people in place:
>A Bridge too Far
>Oceans 11 (the original)
>The Wild Geese
>Cannonball Run

After having read more of Jodorowskys work I'm very skeptical about it.
His narrative and imaginary constantly circle around the same topics, a lot of it being shit, balls and genitals and incestuous relationship. The only one of these which fit into Dune is the last one.
Could have been interesting to see, but Jodo is a hack so I'm not too sad it was never made.

>frogposting

thats retarded. This nigga is a glorified tommy wiseu

>The constant jumping from character to characters point of view and us hearing things they are actually saying and then things they are thinnking
GoT did that successfully - at least in the first season.

All in all the documentary could have been better.
I wish they showed the poor producer who had to try to wrangle this retard.
The movie wouldn't have been good, he's crazy and self indulgent. He talks about how he wanted to make it 24 hours long.
He was just making a student film but had enough connections to try and make it a big budget student film.

the GoT books dont really have internal monologues revealing important information about the story like Dune does.

But they do.

And yet Giger in an interview said that Jodorowsky wanted it to crafted as a PG film because he didn't want his films to be censored.

Would have been interesting to see what O'Bannon could have done for the effects. Apparently he was sourcing VistaVision cameras in France when he was told the film was cancelled. VistaVision was a high-definition format developed by Paramount in the 1950s and was later used for the special-effect opticals in Star Wars. So O'Bannon could have certainly produced something better than Dark Star, which was the film that led to Jodorowsky enlisting O'Bannon to be one of his 'spiritual warriors'.

Holy Mountain was pretty pretentious shit so I'd be skeptical of this project if helmed by Jodorowsky

>I'm pretty sure you can't pack that much awesome into a single film without forming an event horizon
>Dude I fucking LOVE science
>SO MUCH WIN!!!
>Truly epic, you've won the internet good sir
Inject bleach into your fucking scrotum you cunt

2=/=10

>Inject bleach into your fucking scrotum
this kind of thing isn't much better

i got bored of the top one three words in

Jodorowsky is a tryhard faggot

He was directly in contact with all the insanely famous people though.

Holy Mountain was great. Sorry it wasn't about superheroes or rogue cops or whatever it takes to not be "pretentious" according to today's teenagers.

No, that would be you.

Someone post the nsfw flash game... one of the best things I got from Sup Forums in a longass time

>The novel of Dune doesn't lend itself to film.
niceme.me

Mostly you couldn't pack this much awesome into a film without spending an amount of money not even the most optimistic of studios would ever trust Jodorowsky with. And I like Jodorkwsky just fine, he made some really good movies, but his version of Dune would have been an indulgent money sink noone but him, some arthouse snobs and the five hippies who hadn't smoked themselves to death at that point would have watched.