Star Trek Discovery

Star Trek Discovery.
Is it any good? I'm watching the first episode now, and it seems like these two females are the main characters. It's just one problem, they are really boring and not at all believable as commanders. Barely any characters, certainly no strong ones. In fact no strong characters at all, since the two females aren't either.

Anyone else feel this way?

>Is it any good?
I really REALLY wanted it to be good, but I'm not a fan.

>Anyone else feel this way?
Not sure if you have been away for a couple of weeks, but everything you said has been brought up repeatedly in other STD threads. Also LENS FLARES & DUTCH CAMERA ANGLES OUT THE ASS

i really hated it. just dont think of it as star trek and you might be able to enjoy the fancy special effects as lasers cut open a bunch of space goblins

Yes. I have been away, but I can easily imagine that these things have been mentioned before.
Sorry if my thread was just a repeat of something that you have been discussing at lenght before.

the first two are slow, but the third is pretty good action. i hate the lead actress, her accent is very unconvincing for a child brought up on vulcan. also her guardian is like spocks brother or something..

>In fact no strong characters at all, since the two females aren't either.
it's only on its third episode but it doesn't look hopeful. they introduced two authoritative characters but one is a management bully and the other is probably the season villain. they do kind of make the walking virgin fish guy be more assertive but he still comes out as a pushover

its ok, but youll hate it if youve seen other trek before because it shits all over the established canon.
if you liked Fringe or any of the other things Kurtzman and Orci worked on, youll love it.

Most of the main characters don't get introduced until episode 3.

It's the best first three episodes of any Star Trek series, not that the bar is high in that area.

Almost has an identical plot to the first three episodes of Enterprise.

I've watched every single episode from every star trek series and I love it so far. I also hated Fringe. The changes made to Klingons are positive ones. TNG and ENT made changes to canon as well, that's nothing new.

The fact is, people just want to hate it, so they make nitpicky excuses like "lens flare" or "camera angles".

I have. I also saw Fringe too and I loved that show. This show seem nothing like fringe tho.

I liked the fact that it accurately represents the straight white male as a minority. They're very brave for putting a white male as the captain of a starship in a federation of planets that actively oppress straight white males and the white culture. Normally if you had a cis male, he'd be killed off instantly or put in a lower rank, like a cadet. The fact that they have a straight white captain making competent decisions for a crew full of non whites, aliens, and LGBTQ is very progressive of them.

There are literally three white men on the main cast.

It's good. Once you get to Ep3, Isaacs steals the show. And he feels he's going to have a bigger and more complicated role than just being a future big bad or whatever everyone keeps thinking will happen. His character wants to do what it takes to win.

I said straight white man. It takes true courage to go through starfleet as a straight white male, especially one that gets promoted to captain with such a big disadvantage. No mixed alien blood, no bisexual or homosexual privileges, etc.

i didnt like enterprise either

He just Admiral Marcus repackaged. How does anyone not see this? In fact it's the same god damn writer who wrote Into the Darkness. He ported the same shit over to STD.
>pic related

You guys are really reaching hard to try and make this show about politics.

we will never get a good written star trek, it will always be goofy and it will always have this characters that just know everything and can do everything.
this was my last hope and it is gone.
i have to accept that star trek was meant to be like that, i just like the star trek universe and it is a place for more intelligent stories but star trek just isn't like that.

imo it's the second best series after DS9. I don't really understand why people dislike it so much.

>They're very brave for putting a white male as the captain of a starship in a federation of planets that actively oppress straight white males and the white culture
What? The captain is a female?

theres a reason it was on the sci fi channel instead of something respectable, it feels like fan fiction. i wont say its terrible though its just of a clear lower quality to tos tng and ds9

ds9 space opera.
god i hated kira so much.
ds9 had some good characters like damar, dukat and so on but the story was just a copy of b5 and the filler episodes are mostly horrible bad.

DS9 literally came out before B5, dumbass.

shit is a fucking train wreck

I don't like the main protagonist at all, black female, only human graduate of Vulcan academy, still manages to fuck everything up.

The new captain seems like he might be worth it for a few edgy white male moments. I suspect he'll be redeemed by dying at the end making and Michael captain.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll have a comfy season of Isaac's fooling the crew into committing war crimes and horrible experiments.

Why do you have such a problem with captains who proved that straight white men can break through the glass ceilings set up by a federation of planets that keep trying to keep them down? Just because they're straight and white doesn't mean they're any less competent than a woman, or a homosexual, or a mixed species.

You're seriously being sexist and heterophobic right now, and that's not what Discovery is about.

The captain of the Shenzou was female. Discovery's captain is a straight white male. Pretty amazing, right? Archer proved that straight white men could do great things as captain. Lorca is going to pick up Archer's mantle, and make the federation more open to having white male captains. Soon Kirk will follow in his footseps, and show that straight white males shouldn't be afraid to show their sexuality. And of course 200 years later we're super progressive and have a bunch of straight white captains, like Picard, and he's probably the federation's most awesome captain.

Samefag

Just watch The Orville

>Is it any good?
it's grimdark and utterly humorless so no. That's without taking the chars and casting into account. It might be acceptable for some random scifi show but it bears no resemblance to actual trek

That's a weird thing to call "samefag".

>an ENTIRE EPISODE about gender politics

STD has been far better than most on Sup Forums is willing to admit.

>"female" commanders
>not believable

fuck off, you white cis male sexist pig

The captain is a white man.

yes, the only problematic aspect about the show

2/10 try hard friendo

People are pretty desperate to make this show seem political after it ended up being not.

No

yeah, and the actor playing captain lorca also played the same character on netflix's The OA. basically a mad scientist who discovered something profound and is willing to do evil because the end will justify the means

>ends with a dick being sewn onto a baby

he only appeared as a hologram and died shortly after but yeah it's problematic that he was a captain

pretty much this

>I suck Seth's cock

go away pleb

troll.
if not: just google it, they had the b5 script and it is pretty obvious if you know both that ds9 stole many parts.

i think she will stay first officer for a long time.

>STD

:-)

All art is political.

Why is the main character so unlikable ?
Almost everyone around her would make better protagonists.
I want a Saru show.

Its a terrible show so far.

Marcus did nothing wrong. Hoping Lorca gets fairer treatment, which he should since he's not just a guest star.

JMS originally pitched B5 to Paramount in late 80's, years before either B5 or DS9 made it to tv-screen. Too many similarities to be purely coincidental.

>i think she will stay first officer for a long time.
Saru is already XO. She'll be Lt. Cmdr at most.

It gets a whole lot better by episode 3, feels more like Star Trek DS9's later seasons. Honestly this is the best futuristic sci-fi era we've had on TV in years. We have STD for our DS9 fix, The Orville for our TNG, and The Expanse for BSG.

>mfw Michael is Aragon

I don't mind, the show is ok, also calling it STD is a good way to trigger autists and redditors.

>He just Admiral Marcus repackaged.
Who happens to be John Paxton repackaged.

Lets compare

>its set on a space station
Ok, off to a good start
>space station belongs to alien race who left it behind when they ended their occupation of another alien race
Just like B5
>federation is aiding the owners of the station as they are still dealing with the effects of the devastating occupation
Just like B5
>main character is a widowed single father still struggling with the death of his wife
Just like B5
>second in command is a former freedom fighter who believes their government is trading one occupier for another
Just like B5

I haven't even got to the wormhole or the aliens that live there, and this is just the pilot, DS9 is nothing like B5.

No, DS9 LITERALLY came out before B5

Show is set on space station that is diplomatic and trading post, that happens to become focal point of epic conflict.

Said station is commanded by a commander that is has war trauma and related issues to deal with. Who by pure coincidence ends up being messianic religious figure to alien race.

Second in command is someone with reasons to be suspicious of government she is serving.

Overall theme of security paranoia vs open society, sacrificing ideals for survival or just to justify power grab. Occupation theme is pretty heavily present on B5 with Narns and Centari.

It is quite obvious that more than bit of B5 was borrowed for setting up things for DS9.

All of the things you mentioned happened in DS9 before they happened in B5, retard.

It's pretty good. Solid 7/10

>ancient Klingon religious relics in space
>xenoarcheology
>Section 31
>interstellar war
>Federation cyborgs
>mobile mad science lab spaceship
>''You actually thought Federation is a democracy ? HA!'' argument
>10/10 visuals
>rogue trader captain
>shady experiments
what's not to love?

>shitville
>pedo waifu
>high school props
>scenarios from 20 years ago
>divorce drama

yeah I am quiting my show about Section 31 and interstellar war right now brainlet

More like, "Star Trek: Mary Sue".

The only thing this shit lacks is found footage shaky cam. After this shit and those fucktarded new movies I'm completely done with this entire franchise. Same goes for Star Wars.

I liked the third episode a bit

it's shit

i like the way you think user

Why does everyone think Harry Mudd is a loveable scamp when he literally engages in sex slave trafficking?

This. Isaacs is instantly captivating, although I really hope they don't end up making him the villain, which I have a feeling is the direction his character arc is tiresomely going in.

No, in the interviews leading up to this show it's pretty obvious Michael's journey includes being Captain of Discovery. It's a 100% given.

Oh, that Harry. Always kidnapping women and forcing them into a life of prostitution. How could you stay mad at that pudgy little rascal's face?

>Is it good?
Short answer: No.

the start was shit and it got cancelled the moment it got good which meant that it never got to the point where there was enough good to outweigh the bad like DS9 and TNG

the first two episodes had no reason to exist

open with the third and gradually reveal details

I was expecting to enjoy it as a BSG kind of show with the first two episodes, but the third definitely felt more Trekky to me, even if it was still grimdark action

>when he literally engages in sex slave trafficking?
and?

Does anyone have a Discovery viewing guide? I haven't watched it, and need to know if it's worth my time.

it's easily the best looking show on tv

I was pleasantly surprised that the show makes some sense, I was worried they were going to glaze over the crime of mutiny on a ship capable of orbital bombardment

their attempt to demonize racial and cultural solidarity is actually pitiful, the federation really does look weak as shit in the first two episodes, but klingons are more niggery than ever, i honestly think the propaganda will fall flat as shit, and they'll have no choice but to make normal trek episodes going forward, with common sense white males in charge

the 'human trained by a vulcan' is a good premise but it was mishandled already, she doesn't seem any different from any other overly emotional human female

>Almost has an identical plot to the first three episodes of Enterprise.

Um no. What is the purpose of this bait?

it's decent, more cinematic than any of the other series, more gore too. It still doesn't have that comfy feel of ds9 or tng tho. It's kinda more like the movies so far, more action, less inflection. I'll keep watching

>Second in command is someone with reasons to be suspicious of government she is serving.
Ivanova wasn't originally in B5.

She was added in after the original XO from the pilot left.

Therefore, Ivanova was copied from Kira.

For right now I am hyped for the next episode. I can't say the same for two other certain shows that I also am currently watching (neither are scifi related).

Michael Burnham is basically a superhero at this point.
>survives radiation
>fights klingots
>survives explosions
>survives space vacuum
>survives prison transport ship
>survives
>survives

Also did Lorca kill that prison transport pilot on purpose?

Also how did Tilly get through Starfleet Academy?

>All of the things you mentioned happened in DS9 before they happened in B5, retard.

All of the things I mentioned were written years before either show was in full production. Things take time to get on the screen, usually years of planning and finding funding.

>Ivanova wasn't originally in B5.
>She was added in after the original XO from the pilot left.

Original actress left the show after pilot was shot. It is pretty safe to assume that lot of same story arcs would have happened to XO if Tamlyn Tomita had stayed.

>>survives radiation
got beamed back in before getting fucked up
>>fights klingots
she was getting fucked by a klingon reject and only managed to break out at the last minute
>>survives explosions
don't remember this
>>survives space vacuum
shot through quickly, it was a bit dumb thouhg
>>survives prison transport ship
nitpicking

I do think she's a bit of a mary sue though

>if B5 did something first then DS9 stole it
>if DS9 did something first then it was JUST A COINCIDENCE, I SWEAR!
Wew.

Takashima had a completely different character arc planned out than Ivanova.
>Takashima was originally intended to be a main character in the Babylon 5 TV series. Because series creator J. Michael Straczynski knew that Tamlyn Tomita would want to leave the show eventually and pursue a film career, he planned a character arc which would remove Takashima during the second season:[4] originally, she "would have been revealed as having been in on the Vorlon assassination attempt by season's end",[5] was the one who would be harbouring the "Control" personality for the Psi Corps,[6] and under the control of this personality it would be her that shot Michael Garibaldi in the back in the season 1 finale cliffhanger. When Tomita did not sign on for the TV series after all, the "Control" personality was given to Talia Winters and the shooting of Garibaldi was done by his second-in-command.[7]
Ivanova was created completely from scratch... except for the fact that she was stolen from Kira.

Don't judge it on the two first episodes. Actually skip the two first and go straight to the third episode. In the third I got some hope for the show. Ep 1 and 2 is really trash.

First two episodes are pretty meh at best. Third one is better. As a long time trek fan it's...mediocre ebbing on bad, but better than I thought. But honestly that's because I expect the worst with trek media the last nearly ten years or more.

Jesus, I forgot he played JFP. The same actor, playing effectively the same character in two completely different continuities.

This isn't like the first episode of the original. If you skip the first two episodes of discovery you won't understand what's going on. Either watch it all or spend your time on a more worthy show.

Is it okay to watch it if I've never see ANY star Trek media?

yes although you're really missing out on some absolute kino

yes

So you're saying DS9 psychically stole from B5? What.

Yeah, just like any Star Trek series.