If it was so "critically acclaimed" then why did Nickleodeon treat it like shit?

If it was so "critically acclaimed" then why did Nickleodeon treat it like shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw
screenertv.com/blogs/legend_of_korra_book_4_comic_con_panel_report_2014-2014-07/
robertjacksonbennett.com/blog/my-problems-with-korra
robertjacksonbennett.com/blog/my-problems-with-specifically-korra
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Critically acclaim =/= sales

Guess which one Nick or any corporation cares more about?

Woah there, even if we were to presume Korra was terrible, Nickelodeon has shit on good shows in the past as well upon the sacrificial altar which is spongebob and iCarly clones

Remember when the third season of Avatar just paused for over half a year? Or when Invader Zim got cancelled after the first episode of the second season

It was awesome even tho nobody wanted to watch it and the network almost had to cancel it
Plus the second season is a complete aberration and it only becomes semi good for half of the last season even tho it still manages to fuck up the ending
Hell it was so fucking bad it killed the Franchise, the live action movie didn't manage to kill the Franchise so it's even worse than that, at least the movie was over after a couple hours not 4 seasons

critically acclaimed by gays and progressives, not by parents or people who actually watch cartoons

/thread

>critically acclaimed by gays and progressives,

So Korra wasn't critically acclaimed until its last few minutes?

>gays don't watch cartoons

Teen Titans Go is a literary genius according to OP

Kill yourself

How is that a secret?

When sociopaths have to evade

Because Nickelodeon are dumbshit dickheads who only like repeats and live-action shit.

Korra was complete shit, don't get pissy because Nick realized it

>critically acclaimed
Half of it's episodes were undeniably shit, the other were just okay.
It is a dissapointing sequel to AtLA

Because it was shit. I tried watching it and for the first few episodes it had potential, and then the love triangles and terrible villain reveals drove that potential into the ground.

Bryke are terrible writers and the talent from the first series wasn't there for the next one. .

Link to this article?

>poor time slots

It was propped up by new spongebob eps and no one gave a fuck.

>Half of it's episodes were undeniably shit, the other were just okay.
>It is a dissapointing sequel to AtLA

It's funny in hindsight because Bryke didn't have the team that made AtLA work so well with them on board for Korra, and as soon as season one started you could tell it just wasn't going to be the same in terms on quality. Them backing out with the lol lesbians smokescreen ending was cringe as fuck too. The fact that it keeps getting the same discussion threads time and time again on Sup Forums is mind boggling, what's really left to say about it?

Being different than anything else on television doesn't make it good. Hell, it took them to season 3 for them to have a decent fucking story arc but by that point we'd already suffered through shit like a DARK avatar for fuck's sake

Because critical reception doesn't translate into ratings.

This board needs a /Korra haters/ general.

How many unique posters would it have?

30? Maybe 40 on a good day?

Of course there would still need to be separate threads for people who actually like the show.

Korra's massive breasts.

If this was a CN show then they could have blamed it on not being able to produce a Korra toyline

Not the same user, but I've only heard about Korra being so good right after the last episode, when even the mainstream websites of my country talked about the lesbian scene (and how great the show was).

Funnily enough, before that day, I didn't even know that a sequence to The Last Airbender existed, my little cousins never talked about it.

/thread.
I hate Korra too but damn all this people trying to justify the argument of "quality=ratings" as if Nickelodeon knew at all anything they were doing is idiotic.

They saw low ratings and jumped ship. Nothing more or less, and ratings does not inherently equate with quality. If you genuinely think this then I guess modern Spongebob and Teen Titans Go! are your new favorite shows.

Honestly I think lesbian ships are more for male fanservice than faggot progressives

Do remember that Nickelodeon passed on Adventure Time and continually renews FOP.

>So Korra wasn't critically acclaimed until its last few minutes?

Literally yes. With the exception of most of the first season and a few scattered episodes through the rest of the series, LoK's ratings were uniformly mediocre and critical reception was lukewarm at best.

It wasn't until the last eight seconds of the last episode of the series that anyone gave a shit about it -"anyone" in this case being a number of progressive review sites and autistic tumblrites that loudly gushed for a few months about how fantastic the show was for it's representation of lesbian couples and then promptly forgot about the whole thing.

>what's really left to say about it?

There doesn't have to be anything to say about it, friend. It's terrible, and people like to bond over terrible things. Didn't you ever go see a movie or something with your friends that turned out to be really bad, and then laugh about it with them for the rest of the evening?

They moved it to a good time slot for the fall for Season 2, it's just season 2 was so bad both received by critics and fans as well as taking a 70% dive in ratings since season 1 made them regret signing on 3 more seasons.

>and critical reception was lukewarm at best.
The last episode of the third season had a 10/10 score on IMDB for months, most tv reviewers have top marks for it

The fans hated the show and sadly sjw fans who conveniently discovered the show post lesbians didn't help its status any at all

the same reason nicktoons is behind a paywall on direct tv.

A lot of people might laugh at a bad movie, but forget about it the following day, or at most the following week. People only continually talk about something they thought was bad years later when they're obsessed.

Well I like the show, but this is from the perspective of someone who didn't watch either show until after they had both ended. Maybe if I had watched them as they aired I would have felt differently.

Not toyable enough
Not aimed at small children

Nickelodeon treats every show like shit.

>"critically acclaimed"
everyone hated it, that`s why every new season lost half of the audience

aaron ehasz is the heroe we didnĀ“t deserve

>With the exception of most of the first season and a few scattered episodes through the rest of the series,

Are you stupid, or did you just skim the post?

Incorrect.
What we have here is a broad that holds discussion on topics of comics and cartoons. It requires little energy to debate and engage on any topic here. Things that were bad may be resurfaced while passing through with an user going "Oh man that was such a shitty film/show" and as such they may discuses the topic and if engaging enough stay in the thread till time is up or another topic takes their interest.
As for Korra specifically it's remembrance is born from both the anticipation for the show followed by the slow downward spiral that just turn into a hard crash by the end of season 2. Korra was marketed and advertised two years before it came out. The buzz of the Summer of 2010 was the next Avatar series and it was following a female lead, this momentum built up till that release in the summer of 2012 but slowly the show was losing viewers, most of it was because the plot was disjointed in parts and we were never given a true clear picture of forces and their goals. The romances were just a paint by the numbers mess you could see a mile away, but when seasons 2-4 were green lit all at once the masses were ready to ignore the flaws of season one in hopes of the greatness future seasons would hold. Then the team both had the pooch shit the bed and fuck it afterwards. By the end of season 2 any hope or charm of the series was long gone by the masses and they tuned it out while we were fascinated by this train wreck, we hadn't see a series ruination this bad since the Star Wars prequels. For a TV series to have such a grease fire start with TLAB to transform into absolute shit was a achievement all on it's own.

Sounds like he was agreeing with the "Acclaim came for the final episode".

I liked season 3.

Korra didn't do or say a grating amount of dumb shit iirc, the villains were compelling and there was a lot of cool stuff for the supporting cast going on.

Am I wrong?

>ATLA
>aimed at kids, popular with teens instead
>toys sold like shit

>Korra
>aimed at teens
>ratings were shit because two artists thought they could be writers

Nick got burned by this franchise twice. I don't entirely blame them for wanting to drop it as soon as possible.

No, it was a good/decent season it just doesn't make up the series for all the crap that came before and after it.
Really season 3 was what happens to a lot of cancer patients: They start to get better just before they take a dive again.

Pretty much this near the beginning and the end. Acclaimed because of its "progressive" values even though it trivialized any demographic used in TLoK.

ATLA sold bad toys that most kids wouldn't put up with but rantings were constantly strong and the disc sales were and still are incredibly strong.

>>Sounds like he was agreeing with the "Acclaim came for the final episode".
Korra had four seasons.

Season 3 also had Suyin's shit show, so it has stuff in the minus column.

DVD sales helped but toy sales are the lifeblood of cartoon shows aimed at kids. If there's no money to be made in toys then the show has to be cheap.

i watch cartoons, the animation was top notch, the character development was decent and while melodramatic is was no different than something you would see in Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Here's the thing. Korra was critically acclaimed from day one. It was indeed praised a lot.

But it was praised before the first episode even aired. It was praised before Korra's *face* was even shown in production art. All it took to earn that praise was "brown girl with slightly muscular back" and that was enough to garner all kinds of accolades for how groundbreaking it was.

So when the more critical of the franchise say that Korra only got praised because of sudden bisexuals (lesbians?) at the end? They might have a point. Because a lot of the hype Korra got even before that point had very little to do with the quality of the actual show and more to do with the implications and comparative rarity of a brown action girl.

>no different than something you would see in Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
That's not a positive, user.

Like I aid earlier, I am someone who didn't watch either series until they were both done.

I saw them both in s short span of time, so there was no real waiting and anticipation, except for the next episode. Maybe if I had watched them as they aired I would have been more disappointed and frustrated. As it is though, I just watched the first show, and then watched the second show not long after, and then moved on.

Having said that, It does seem like these "Korra sucks" threads are pretty common, and are most likely featuring the same posters most of the time. Expressing the same opinions that they've expressed hundreds of times before. Personally I would get sick of talking about one specific show so much and for so long, but that's just me.

The Last Airbender was popular because it had kids in it doing kid things but had just enough adult themes to get adults interested in as well, a good family show.

Where are the kids in Korra? You have to understand that Nicklelodeon is still a kids network, and by kids I mean little kids, like 5-9. It was popular with teenagers and adults sure, but that's not the network's intended demographic, so they cancelled the show.

It was acclaimed because if it wasn't the first series marketed behind a "strong female character" it was one of the firsts to start this clusterfuck of a movement

*said

>DVD sales helped but toy sales are the lifeblood of cartoon shows aimed at kids.
Not true, Adventure Time, Regular show Steven Universe and Teen Titans Go all cost close or the same/more than Young Justice (look them up and let that sink in) and those shows didn't get merc till 2+ seasons in. Fairly Odd Parents and Loud House while cheaper are not so much less that it would cancel out lack of toy sales but again it just marches on without any strong merc. What keeps a show going is more than just Merc sales. It can help but most will tell you it's a better (and actually safer) venture to get high ratings and disc/streaming sales, that leads to better word of mouth and better sponsors.

This. and now that culture is shifting away from that (again) the flaws are staring to bleed through more to the general viewers and the upcoming generations.

It was praised at the beginning from many people because the mains lead was a woman and it was a sequel to TLA. Then season 1 ended and while some websites (like Gawker) ate it up, most people stopped caring.

It wasn't til the end with Lesbians that the acclaim was resparked.

it was acclaimed until it shit the bed halfway through the first season

Except Sup Forums is still the only place that commonly hates the show. The majority of people who watched still like it.

This. People think of it as alright-decent for the "average" view of it. They don't hold it anywhere on AtLAs level and those that do are usually the "progressive" types. On a technical aspect TLoK was very good, it's just that its substance was liquified used toilet paper.

I agree with what you said entirely but this
>For a TV series to have such a grease fire start with TLAB to transform into absolute shit was a achievement all on it's own.
Is especially true. It had such a fascinating trainwreck of a plot with awful writing that you couldn't help but sit in awe of the absurdity of it all. Even the art department was a mess, how can you create a setting so joyless and bland like Republic city?

I legitimately hope that people bring up how shit Korra's series was handled to bryke constantly, they need to be aware. How much were they really responsible for in the original series anyway? Because ATLA even at its worst, as a show succeeded were Korra failed so spectacularly.

It's funny, I remember seeing a promo for a ATLA marathon and it was promoted like 'your favorite/one true avatar is here' . Gave me a smirk.

They come and go like anything else. The reason it's more common now was the complete dvd set released in the last month so it's generating word of mouth again. I'm sure in a month everyone will move on and you will see a new flavor. And again, even if it is the same "handful" or what ever number of people this board has no energy out put to give. This is taking about a minute to type out and post after reading it. I will go back to my work, check back and reply if any post interests me enough. It's what people forget about the internet, it's not a reflection of the real world nor should it be taken as such.

>The majority of people who watched still like it.
it's selling like shit for a newly released disc and it's sales after book 2 have been awful to where many places clearance books 1-3 and under order 4 . That majority is likely not a true majority and more of just an echo chamber. Even reddit by large dislikes Korra.

>everyone
it not matter what you think about the show. only paid shills are qualified to be critics

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people just pirate the show.

nah, even my progressive friends hated it

Most of the praise the show gets is brownie progressive points for last minute "lesbians" and diversity. ATLA had genuine good writing and got praised mostly for it first and foremost. The majority of the people that watched Korra WERE on Sup Forums since nobody else was watching the damn thing.

I've genuinely never seen outright hate for it, only disinterest from the majority of people and disappointment online. Simply put, Korra wasn't a popular show like ATLA was even though it already had an existing fanbase eagerly waiting for it to air.

Most people I know hate the Transformers movies. And yet...

most people who looked at Transformers as movies or knew the IP hated it but dudebros loved it + a movie and tv show are not the same animal

>How much were they really responsible for in the original series anyway?
see
They had a hand in the creative department and writting but there was enough talk back and team work that things got work out for the best storytelling. To give context one of them (I forget which) envisioned Toph as a giant blind man(the concept art would be later used to make Boulder ) but it was pointed out an adult like that on the team would diminish the charm and have little synergy with the group so lead MacMullan tossed out the idea of making it a young tomboy girl about Aangs age because that would add dynamic to Katara's more traditional girl like personality as well as a force to challenge Aangs more softer personality without it coming off as bully. As a whole that was what hurt Korra, lot of idea guys but not enough creative forces to help those ideas be entertaining.

>I've genuinely never seen outright hate for it
do you just never read Korra hate threads here or what?

The show is massively despised for having cool, interesting, really makes you think-tier ideas or subplots or characters that the writers trip over to themselves to fuck up, like they are just spiting the audience

If that's the case then they must not like it that much or are poor because TLAB stays stead in sales that it's always been at stores at full price most of the time selling no issue.

Praise? Okay. Here is a Korra video that has over eight million views and the vast majority of the response seems positive.

youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw

Yeah yeah, I know, youtube is retarded. Nonetheless, over eight million views and a very positive response. So obviously there is a fanbase.

I know its easy to dismiss people as only praising the show for lesbians, but kids did watch the show.

I won't deny that the first show was much more popular. But the second show had an audience, and supposedly the show got more views when nick put it online than on television.

This. The show was relatively popular among teens and some older audiences, but didn't actually provide an increase in ratings for Nickelodeon compared to Spongebob/FOP/whatever else when it came to their primary demographic: pre-teen kids.

And that's important because Nick gets most of its money and can demand the most money from certain advertisers when those certain advertisers know their commercials are going to be aired when the highest number of preteen kids are going to be watching.

And the whole point of TV shows is to attract a particular audience so you can make maximum profit selling commercial time to advertisers desperate for that demographic.

Your flaw is youtube keeps counting way after release. Also, youtube views do not equal ratings, sales, nor veiwership of a series it just means people click on the link and watch it.

> supposedly the show got more views when nick put it online than on television.
yeah but without hard numbers that turns to hearsay and that statement was made during season one that got it's viewership both from piggy backing on the old series success and a two year long campaign to make sure you watch it.

Korra wasn't profitable. No argument. Point is, it did have plenty of fans, even if they didn't always support the show in ways that mattered.

Not just Nick either. Its a shame

>online-only season

still blows my mind Nickelodeon did that.

It's funny that you post the teaser for the season that didn't even air on tv. So no, kids didn't watch that season, you're seeing people that grew up with ATLA, blinded by nostalgia, commenting how they liked the continuation of the show. Which is fine, but I feel they just want more of that universe and Korra herself and the cast is kind of secondary to that. Hell I think even most of those people would agree that Korra doesn't measure up to it's predecessor even though it had all the tools to succeed.

But I digress and I don't want to sound like a bitter and jaded neckbeard. I mostly agree with what this user said and I really don't have anything else to add

That's fine. I'll just leave this though: screenertv.com/blogs/legend_of_korra_book_4_comic_con_panel_report_2014-2014-07/

Take it with a grain of salt, of course.

robertjacksonbennett.com/blog/my-problems-with-korra
robertjacksonbennett.com/blog/my-problems-with-specifically-korra

>Point is, it did have plenty of fans
viewing a video and clicking like doesn't show any investment of being a fan. It just shows they like the trailer and like is a very broad term. You can like something with passing interest and forget it was ever there.
You are asking us to accept a fanbase that really isn't there. There is no real sense of cult following like Invader Zim Boondocks or Over the Garden wall carries. It seems most tolerate Korra for being in the same universe as Last Airbender but that is not a sign of a healthy fandom.

So, Korra is Sup Forums's Gundam SEED Destiny?

It might not have a passionate fanbase, but there were plenty who watched and liked the show. The affection might be more mild than the Last Airbender, but its still there.

They could get more viewers showing a Spongebob repeat than a new episode of Korra. I don't understand how they even got seasons 3 and 4 made, Nick treated them way better than you would think.

By your logic a person that watches TTG from time to time is a fan of the show.

Or SAO

SEED Destiny is more /m/'s territory/hate target

>I don't understand how they even got seasons 3 and 4 mad
contract. It was signed and they already gave them the money.

What the hell happened??

Season 1 is often regarded as the best and yet Season 2 dropped that far without getting to the real bullshit?

Define "from time to time". If they at least watch the show on a semi-regular basis as it airs new episodes then they could probably at least be considered casual fans.

I meant Sup Forums's. Overtired right now and having trouble thinking right.

But really, I don't think Korra could ever be as bad as that trainwreck. Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong.

>What the hell happened??

The first season was alright, but the last half and especially the ending kind of rubbed people the wrong way and killed enthusiasm for the second season.

Then the second season didn't really circumvent that perception and popularity continued to decline.

If I read news I'm a fan of news? If I check weather I'm a fan of weather?
The definition of fan is a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular person or thing. That takes more then just watching a show when it's on.