Is Wes Anderson a genius?

Is Wes Anderson a genius?

He only makes chick movies.

I'd hardly call someone who has only made two good films a genius.

Not liking Wes Anderson is like Sup Forums not liking Shinichiro Watanabe

The irony being that most of Sup Forums isn't into juvenile pseudo-capeshit and don't care for Watanabe.

Sup Forums likes Watanabe. Sup Forums likes things of a more pic related nature.

he's a nu male reddit hipster cuckold le quirky director

I think he's the most approachable artisinal director currently working. A lot of what he does wouldn't work if other directors were doing it so that's kind of a neat aspect of the industry

He objectively is.

t. roastie

Daddy issues.

>really like Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom
>can't even get past the first 30 minutes of Life Aquatic because it's so boring

Never stood a chance with this buffoon at the lead

Wes Anderson only got good after Fantastic Mr. Fox

Royal Tenenbaums is ok

Life Aquatic is his worst reviewed movie and Sup Forums pretends to like it because of that

Bottle Rocket and Grand Budapest?

You might be a brainlet, life awuatic is his best movie

People liked Budapest?

Do you have vaginas?

life aquatic and darjeeling limited

Those are two of his worst.

It goes:
1. Bottle Rocket
2. Grand Budapest
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. Rushmore
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. The Life Aquatic
7. Darjeeling Ltd.
8. Royal Tenenbaums

Royal is still like a 7/10 though.

>people honestly, unironically, earnestly believe Grand Budapest is better than The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Royal Tennenbaums

The irony actually being that Sup Forums loves BNHA which is literally juvenile pseudo-capeshit

Not liking Watanabe or WA is identical tastelessness and bitter contrarianism.

Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox are the two worst

Moonrise and Fox are my two favourites though. :(

Are my tastes just screwed up because I'm autistic?

They're all 8s or 9s, it's completely subjective which are the best or worst

>he's a nu male reddit hipster cuckold le quirky director
Nope, he's just a homosexual. It's easy to get them confused.

They aren't bad, just bottom of *my* list. I didn't like the story of Moonrise as much as the other movies.

And Fantastic Mr. Fox was just a different feel. Though Wes Anderson learned quite a bit from that movie and Isle of Dogs looks masterful.

lol, do you like Wes Anderson?

But that isn't even true. It's obvious you don't use the board at all. The average Sup Forums user regards BNHA on the level of Naruto or Jojo.

Watanabe makes shounen. His series are very popular with teenage males. It is as popular as it is because people usually get into anime as a teenager where such series resonate with them. Sup Forums is mostly comprised of adult males, where moe is the staple genre. It's not contrarianism, it's simply demographics functioning as intended. This is why 90%< of threads discuss anime girls or series where girls are a focus.

No, he makes chick shit.

I see your point. Personally i got into anime when i was a teenager and i really liked bebop and champloo. When Space Dandy came out i was 21 and i liked that a lot as well. I can see how these shows are juvenille in many ways, and a 12 year old me would probably have enjoyed them as well, but I still don't think they're shonen. Isn't shonen idealism, the power of freindship, bettering yourself, and accomplishing something, generally defeating someone or saving something, generally featuring adolescent protagonists? The characters in Watanabe seem mostly to just be trying to survive, get through life. They aren't idealistic, don't bear lofty goals, and their relationships are happenstance. They're also heavily weighed upon by loneliness, and not the kind that leads into finding your place in the world. In most Watanabe works, the characters have already had their big plans and enthusiasm, been broken and become disillusioned. The stories follow them now they've learnt to cope and find a simpler happiness. They're fundamentally stories about adults. Childish adults, sure, but adults.

I'm curious, how old were you when you watched Watanabe and when you got into anime? Do you feel like you've grown up from it? Because there are different kinds of getting old.

>director makes one good movie
>"is he a genius"
no

Which one user? I can't see how it could be anything other than bottle rocket or fox because everything else is too singular. He's probably the most singular auteur working.

His worst film is rushmore and you fuckers know it

Fuck off you degenerate weeb.

yeah rushmore fucking blew desu

This is the only movie of his I have ever watched all the way through more than once. In fact it might be the only one I have ever watched even once all the way through.

yes and that movie proved it

Royal Tenenbaums is hand down his best movie, objectively
almost inverse taste but Rushmore is clearly superior to Darjeeling

Holy shit dude it's just cartoons. Read or Die surpasses everything you just aaid anyways.
Also this is a really comfy fall movie.

I wasn't explaining why they're good, I was explaining why they aren't shonen.

I mean, that's how they're marketed, and they fit the bill. Much of shounen has strong male leads designed to bait self-insert. The stuff they market towards adults with expendable income used to be OVAs and shifted into waifubait television series after Evangelion's success. Stuff with lots of girls is what most guys end up watching when they get older.

I watched Dandy and Champloo when I was about 16-17, along with paranoia agent and some of E7, I actually didn't like any of them and it kept me from watching more anime for a couple of years. Watched Eva and Berserk, got sucked in, and now almost a decade later I mainly watch comedy and moeshit because that's generally what's the most entertaining.

Being "grown up" is pretty subjective, I don't really know how to measure it.

>Dandy
I meant bebop.

Flip that list then drop rushmore to the bottom.

Whatever user. I ain't gonna read someone the opinions of someone with shit tastes. Lighten up a little, it's just anime.