Trek fans are so up their own arse they are willing to piss on Roddenberry to support Discovery

trekbbs.com/threads/lets-talk-about-the-elephant-in-the-room-this-series-violates-roddenberrys-vision-big-time.290396

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dolphin
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

honestly who gives a shit?

didn't they do that like a million times in a million different ways already? didn't TNG violate his vision? didn't DS9? the new movies?

the man is dead

These people live in the 90s or something. Wtf do they want? An episodic style of star trek, they tried that with enterprise already. Besides there's Orville, not sure why they're bitching.

Fuck Gene. STD rocks.

Why are you linking us to some random forum? Go hang out there, fuck off.

fuck you & your forum

Preach, we actually have a Star Trek for adults now, sorry it makes you so angry fuckin white faggot

Half the main cast of STD are white men.

>Star Trek for adults
>no adults watching

>No adults pirated it

Who cares, Orville's a better Star Trek than this turd anyways.

Isn't the entire point to present an idealistic future but also challenge it with realistic and inevitable threats? Michaels whole speech is about that. Trek isn't fuckin care bears. It's supposed to get challenging.

Just like how everyone suddenly gravitated to pewdiepie when he started spewing racial slurs. You losers are so desperate for "OUR GUYS" that you'll cling to the lowest garbage.

Whom are you quoting

This is what the forum is saying too. OP is just a faggot.

>an ENTIRE EPISODE on gender politics

PewDiePie? The fuck are you talking about? It's fact that Orville is a better Star Trek than STD. No need to be asshurt about it.

>didn't TNG violate his vision?

TNG was the closest actualisation of his vision. TOS was working things out, TNG was his goal, the rest were experiments.

Shut the fuck up.

Proving his point.

I'm fine with discovery being a retconning reboot that's serious and has a arc. New designs are growing on me
But so far the show is just a standard space drama. Nothing that interesting in terms of story or character so far

STD is just pissing on the decaying corpse that VOY, ENT and the JarJar Abrams movies desecrated. It's a bit late to whinge about this now.

I have no problem pissing on roddenberry desu

DS9 started the decay of Trek. It has been downhill since TOS-movies and TNG. There was short period of false recovery in the final season of ENT. Kinda like latent period of acute radiation syndrome following initial symptoms, for example initial responders to Chernobyl disaster. They were young and healthy guys joking about shit when they went to hospital where they died.

Fuck you, I liked it.

>STD rocks.
Beg to differ, I had a nasty case of genital herpes this year.

I really hope Discovery completely overwrites all of those terrible, old, unwatchable series. Fuck Gene Roddenberry, William Shitner and ungrateful-for-new-Trek "fans."

>TNG kid
>attempt to watch TOS for the first time

Holy shit, its fucking awful. Trekkies are fucking retarded for worshipping such garbage.

Roddenberry is A FUCKING WHITE MALE

>didn't TNG violate his vision?

TNG early series is exactly what he wanted you turbo cretin

However the studios need actions to keep sheeple like yourself entertained

Trek fans are the most joyless and toxic fan communities of all time. If anything, it's their existence that is the antithesis of Roddenberry's vision. Ironic.

this is the exact same thing that happened with STID came out.

literally thousands of "star trek fans" who shouted down anyone who thought STID was trash.

it's not just that the shills are ruining star trek, it is that they are ruining the entire internet at the same time.

blaming the fandom for this abortion.

god damn it makes me pissy.

>ancient Klingon religious relics in space
>xenoarcheology
>Section 31
>interstellar war
>Federation cyborgs
>mobile mad science lab spaceship
>''You actually thought Federation is a democracy ? HA!'' argument
>10/10 visuals
>rogue trader captain
>shady experiments
what's not to love about Discovery ?

>TNG early series is exactly what he wanted you turbo cretin
No it isn't. If he got his way the Enterprise would've been piloted by dolphins. Fucking. Dolphins!

He had a ton of shitty ideas people convinced him to get rid of before TNG went into production.

STD has no heart or soul,
no amount of shilling wil change that.

He's right, Star Trek where everybody is a constantly snapping cunt is no fun. Even DS9 kept the characters personable.

Funny, isnt it.

Guess 1 note stereotypes out of the corporate think tank dont make good characters after all

STD fans are NOT real Trek fans.
STD fans are NOT real sci-fi fans.
STD fans are chick show fangirls who think Supergirl is real sci-fi and Twilight and Vampire Diaries are real horror.

>suggest ridiculous ideas so that people 'settle' on what is essentially what you want
it works with marketing and price setting, probably works with TV

>constantly snapping cunt

a typical example of soapie-style writing where the focus is angsty relationship drama. std is for soap opera drama queens.

The unlikeable shitty main character.

Roddenberry was garbage and TNG was better after he was gone.

if Andromeda was all of Genes wacky left over ideas

TNG was not nearly as mind blowing as it could have been.

That's the inconvenient truth. Gene Roddenberry was a shitty storyteller.

That's true. It has all the signs of "we want the modern audience" (i.e. women who like "travel and netflix")

Roddenberry is a joke and everything aside from Discovery and the JJ Abrams movies are unwatchable. Deal with it, nerds.

what's DELET THIS in andorian

People always want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Roddenberry's ideas were not perfect but it did give a good guiding principle for what Trek should be like and it worked well enough under refinement. It's a bad thing that Trek is turning into focus-tested grimdark drama where everybody is up their own asshole because CBS wants their own Game of Thrones. People seem desperate to defend it because they see new Trek as better than no Trek even if it's not Trek in any meaningful sense, which is a shame. As an aside people bringing up the worst entries (VOY and ENT) as a defense is kind of funny.

Archer is unlikable.

And this comment kind of reveals why Discovery is being received the way it is:

>I have a large network of Trek friends and colleagues, and while some don't love it the way I do, nobody hates it. A few have things about it they don't like, a few have misgivings, minor aspects they don't like, but that's no less true about any other Trek series.

>Look anywhere-- on social media, even review sites-- while the negative nellies are the loudest, the majority like the show. Every FB post on Trek's page has 90% positive reactions. RT's audience score, even when being spammed with negative reviews, still has more of the audience liking it than not (currently 60%, 2% higher after the 3rd episode).

>No matter how much these armchair critics insist the show is reviled, stating it doesn't make it so. All evidence is to the contrary.

i.e. the show is just sort of made to be "OK", something that isn't particularly interesting or good but inoffensive to most people's tastes so a lot of people will watch it.

To a true sci-fi fan, the original series are still enjoyable to watch. Because they're true sci-fi episodes not soap opera fangirl relationship drama like STD.

Palpable denial.
Just like neo-Star Wars, these guys are actively fooling themselves into believing they like something they don't.

True sci-fi fans have always been a minority while fangirls of soap opera, chick shows and relationship dramas have always been the majority. STD is a soapie chick show relationship drama.

>I have a large network of Trek friends and colleagues, and while some don't love it the way I do, nobody hates it.
>implying user is a real trekkie and not soapie fangirl pretending and lying

TOS is full of memorable sets, characters and moments.
As is TNG, DS9 even VOY

The only ENT anyone remembers in mirror darkly because its literally the only 2 good episodes, oh and how all the female cast are tortured thought the series.

but user constant catfighting makes characters 'realistic' and 'believable', none of that hokey professional stuff

I thought that cetacean tanks were in joke about ST:IV by people designing Enterprise-D trying to find ways to waste space after Gene had made the ship four times as big as proposed.

Nope, he unironically suggested they should fly the Enterprise.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dolphin

>Bashirshrug
That's Data!
Wait you did it on... purpose?

Who cares though? Some of Gene Roddenberrys ideas were fucking retarded.

- Can't mention God.
- No smoking.
- No prejudice or racism in the future.
- No interpersonal conflict.
- No space pirates.
- The nacelles have to be in pairs

Thankfully once he died TNG and the others started saying "fuck these stupid rules".

more denial can be found in the thread, with someone suggesting that it's Trek because people debated 'moral questions' - even when it was pretty clear the writer's didn't intend for many things debated (like putting bombs in a corpse) to be moral dilemmas

>The only ENT anyone remembers in mirror darkly because its literally the only 2 good episodes, oh and how all the female cast are tortured thought the series.

Whole 4th season is surprisingly good. The problem with Enterprise is that first two seasons contain too much bad episodes and show wasn't modern TV with continuing story. In 3rd season with Xindi-arc they went too deep into modern TV and it ceased to feel like Trek. On 4th season they got balance right, by that point everyone had already gave up on show. Whole Temporal Cold War was a mistake and undermined the whole point of being a fucking prequel.

Couple of people involved in designing Enterprise-D have suggested that, but I stand corrected.

>- No interpersonal conflict.

Limited interpersonal conflict was one of the best driving forces of drama in TNG and subsequent shows. Might not be about goals, but ways reaching that goal or Picard having to keep crew in the dark about orders or something. Professional differences.

>- The nacelles have to be in pairs
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. While it was purely aesthetic dictate, they came up with pseudoscientific reasons for it. If they would have stuck with that pseudoscience, we would have avoided the the worst ship.

no fans are supporting this

you are mistaking those with shills

>While it was purely aesthetic dictate

Actually it wasn't. Gene had a row with one of the original set designers who thought the ships with one Nacelle looked better and sleeker. Gene made sure that from then on all ships would have two just to spite the guy.

>defiant
>worst ship
No. Akira was the worst ship. Every fucking design carbon copied it including the NX Enterprise. The Akira class screwed with the federation ship aesthetic like nothing else.

pls.. that's like saying gibson and fender guitars are shit because everyone copies them

JJ did that nearly 10 years ago, the movies are abortions to roddenberry's "vision".

>tfw you still want Star Trek, but without any of the Roddenberry garbage.

>JJ did that nearly 10 years ago, the movies are abortions to roddenberry's "vision".
Everything DS9 onwards is an "abortion to his vision" acccording to you fags, Section 31 literally makes the blood in your tampons boil.

>STD fans are NOT real sci-fi fans.
I read Lem and Clarke in 80s already and I like Discovery.
Where is your God now?

No, it's like retrospectively replacing the gibson and fender designs with some other shit.

>the show was better after his death

Roddenberry was a hack. Star Trek thrived in spite of him, not because of his puerile vision. The peak of trek was TNG S3-5 and DS9, long after the piece of shit died.

section 31 were the baddies tho

>His vision wasn't so developed during TOS. it marinated for the 15 years he did the convention circuit after TOS had wrapped.
>TNG solidified the entire "Human had evolved" idea. but in TOS their still pretty normal rational humans as we know them. I don't see DSC very far off that.
This desu.

Can you really not wrap your head around the fact that people like things that you don't like? Are you really incapable of looking beyond your own (apparently VERY limited) horizon?

Star Trek Discovery is new, it is different, it is still struggling to find its way.
Fans will pick it apart exactly because it is Trek.
None of that means that it is bad.

>section 31 were the baddies tho

Discovery is an objectively GOOD show you fucking peons. Have you seen the RT score? Fuck you little shits piss me oof.

>- No interpersonal conflict.
this is a good rule of thumb though

Well this argument converted me, you sir are a master of debate

It's three fucking episodes in. Anybody casting whole blanket judgement at this point is being a reactionary cunt.

People do not like shit things though. As previously said, it's basically designed to just be inoffensive to a wide variety people's tastes. Something in the vein of older Treks would be a bit too niche for piloting a streaming service.

do like shit things*, god dammit

who cares about RT scores

look man you should know within three dates if you want to stop dating a person or have sex with them.

What is it with shills and spacing after the post number?

NX Enterprise is masterful subversion of what Berman dictated. It is essentially mirror image of of it. When it comes to Akira-class, it is fine TNG-era interpretation of Miranda-class. Steamrunner is the true abomination showing up First Contact and DS9/VOY. Pic related with saucer section deflector replaced with lots of torpedo tubes is what Defiant should have been. Something that looks like Federation ship.

Fuck you and fuck your website. Also fuck Star Trek and fuck this series in particular.

Not sure that word means what you think it does

Seriously these are ships of highly trained professionals who choose to be there. Conflict between them should be light and rare. The times it flares up should hit hard. Bickering among a crew for day to day operations like we saw in Discover 03 was asinine unprofessional bullshit that made them look like children.

>no true Scotsman

>pointing out fallacies on Sup Forums shitposts
to what end?

I'm bored.

>Miranda-class
In what world is the Akira the TNG era interpretation of the Miranda, when the deflector shield is clearly on a completely different hull section just like on the Steamrunner? The Steamrunner is the modern Miranda, not the Akira. The Akira is just an aerodynamic, sporty looking brainchild of some idiot who thinks spaceships should look streamlined.

Gotta love the falseflagging fags in this thread that don't know anything about Star Trek. This guy is right.

The first two seasons of TNG were a representation of Roddenberry's vision. The rest of the series was a representation of the vision of others, like Piller and Rick Berman.

DS9 strayed heavily from Roddenberry's vision and yet, is most often heralded as the greatest Star Trek series. At the very least, most Trekkies will admit that it was very, very good. Voyager was an Brannon Braga/Berman abortion, and Enterprise was a post 9/11 version of the same thing, a bit grittier and edgier.

Roddenberry's vision has been distorted time and time again by the showrunners after his death and there are examples of it working exceptionally well. Mid season TNG, post-season 2 DS9 (exception for Duet, a great early episode and the not-as-good ending). I don't know why I'm telling you this, though -- you don't want to talk about Star Trek. You want to cry about diversity or something else that's fucking stupid as hell, in correlation with what Star Trek is and has always been.

>In what world is the Akira the TNG era interpretation of the Mirand
Nacelles under the saucer and pod over the saucer. More than bit common in overall design, even when there are differences. Nothing in line of Steamrunner with nacelles being partially buried in saucer section.

Doesn't matter what it ripped off, every other ship from that point on ripped off the Akira, and that was just fucking wrong. They should've kept this flat shit on the drawing board. The Defiant is fine, because it's a completely unique design that wasn't copied 10 times over, which makes it less annoying to look at.

>ok kids, on my next trick i will use this famous sci-fi brand to disseminate leftist propaganda
>WATCH
>hey why are you disliking it?
>WTF YOU ARE NOT REAL FAN YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DISLIKE IT
>ITS STAR®TREK™
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What's your favorite episode of TOS and why?

>violates-roddenberrys-vision-big-time

But this has been slowly happening since the days of TNG (I.E. Klingons are now black people in space), and it escalated in Enterprise, which made a bold effort to undermine and erase the Roddenberry legacy.

THIS!!!! So much this!
But the fucking apologists are all "lalalalala" to the truth, that DIS tried to create conflict for the cause of conflict. And that DIS is shitty!

NASA always tests and put a crew for maximum compatibility, space will be still dangerous in the 23rd century, where everyone has to cover and back up each others ass.