/brg/: Blade Runner General

2049 Edition

That Persona Homage Scene was fucking Great

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Alcon/Sony’s Blade Runner 2049 via Warner Bros. is looking at a Thursday night in the vicinity of $3.5M.

>Should Blade Runner 2049 hit these projections, it will be close to the preview nights of such cult sci-fi franchises as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ($4.1M), Mad Max: Fury Road ($3.7M), Prometheus ($3.56M off 1,368 midnight showtimes). But most of all, Blade Runner 2049‘s Thursday night would be higher than The Martian ($2.5M) and Gravity ($1.4M off 10PM and midnight shows). Gravity and The Martian hold respectively the top two openings for October with $55.8M and $54.3M. It’s way too early to project whether Blade Runner 2049 gets that high.

>For the last four weeks tracking has had the Denis Villeneuve directed, Ridley Scott executive produced sequel in the mid $40M range.

>Blade Runner 2049 is another big budget gamble for Alcon Entertainment following such $100M-plus budgeted pics Transcendence and Point Break and cash cows like Oscar winner The Blind Side ($29M production cost, $309.2M global B.O.).

>Sony co-financed Blade Runner 2049 which reportedly carries a net production cost of $155M (some believe it’s higher) before P&A. Sony is opening the sequel in 61% of all foreign territories this weekend sans South Korea, China and Japan. Sony’s contribution to the bottom line before tax credits and rebates is figured at $90M. Warner Bros. is getting a domestic distribution fee around 10%. Originally, this project fired up six years ago when Alcon heads Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson secured franchise rights from Bud and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin including TV and ancillaries. In sum, it took a village to make this sequel to Scott’s 1982 film happen.

Will 2049 make more profits than My Little Pony: The Movie?
With a budget of $155 millions will it make any profit?
If Alcon Entertainment doesn't fill for bankrupcy in the next months/year we will have or answer.

Hi my name is Joy I am Riley's imaginary friend

who gives a fuck, it was literally phenomenal

>Will 2049 make more profits than My Little Pony: The Movie?

Are Bronies still a thing?

Parents and grandparents will probably still see it, but then again, they'll see pretty much anything (The Emoji Movie, etc.) if it gets the kids to shut up and sit still for 90 minutes.

I liked the Me Me Me! reference

Itll probably bomb but i could care less its a borderline masterpiece

>For the last four weeks tracking has had the Denis Villeneuve directed, Ridley Scott executive produced sequel in the mid $40M range.
FUCK sakes. Capeshit will rake in over $100 million opening weekend but legitimately great movies like this will end up barely breaking even

The fuck is that poster?

>Will 2049 make more profits than My Little Pony: The Movie?
Who the fuck cares besides D*sney shills? The original didn't make any profit at all

it's honorary capeshit

Warner (they made this movie through Alcon) has been printing money with Wonder Woman and espeically IT, all year. They can afford one prestige kino like this

it proves that it's possible to make a sequel many years after it's original and have it be great (The Force Awakens is nice but, it borrows too much from the OT's blueprints)

What happened to Walnus character?
Why is the replicant army thing so randomly inserted in the middle of the movie

How do they reference MeMeMe! and make a homage to Persona?

Was the pale fire reference a foretelling of what was to come later in the movie?

Yup was wondering that myself

Does Ana get her tits out, in the human form? This will decide if I see the movie or not.

She never has a human form but there are plenty of tits.

You get to see an entire 3D rendering of Ana's nude body

That scene of the evil villain bitch calling in airstrikes while getting a fucking future pedicure or some shit by an old wrinkly asian was pretty fucking kino.

>Warner
Nope. Financed by Alcon and Sony

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128

>Blade Runner' Sequel a Make-Or-Break Moment for Producer Alcon

>Alcon owns the film; Sony will release it overseas and get a slice of the profits. Warners is handling the film domestically and will get a fee per its deal with Alcon

>Insiders say the movie will need to clear $400 million at the worldwide box office to be considered a win.

BR2 probably won't break even.

It's "couldn't care less" you big doofus...

was really fucking good but the ai waifu shit shouldnt have made it into the movie, was abit too long wallace's replicant goon was a shit character and the animation for rachel getting shot was soi shit should have just been off camera cos the cgi of her was actually insane even better than the recent star wars ones. Also there were a few points where K should have said nothing but something was put in for nop reason like when he says "buckle up" felt real out of character. Also dave batista was cool as fuck, jared letto's performance was also so good.

Nice.

just didnt make money in the bx office it was insanely profitable after it left the cinema

I've read a few of these and can predict how people will take my post, they'll label me as a contrarian. I'll tell you now that I'm not, I really wanted to like this movie, but it genuinely wasn't very good. It was a fine movie, but it wasn't great. The writing was very poorly executed, there were some moments were the exposition was so heavy handed it started being funny. How many times did joi have to explain to the audience that Joe's dream 'meant' he was real? Did she REALLY have to explain to the audience what binary is? The great thing about the original, and why it's one of my favourite movies, is because it understood that concept I'm sure many of us learnt in primary school English class of show, don't tell. Blade Runner showed us a rich world, and the dialogue served to develop character. In 2048, the dialogue served to tell the audience what is happening and how to feel, and the visuals were used to scream at the audience HEY, REMEMBER BLADE RUNNER? I really was looking forward to it, I love Gosling.

My Little Pony is a cheap cheap cheap movie to produce.
If it earns $50M worldwide, that's $49M more than what it cost.

>>Insiders say the movie will need to clear $400 million at the worldwide box office to be considered a win.
Not that hard. If it's actually good it'll make money on blurays too

>the visuals were used to scream at the audience HEY, REMEMBER BLADE RUNNER?
This couldn't be farther from the truth. The visuals are completely on it's own, zero 80s nostalgia or any heavily shoved "hehe remember this hehe" references. I would say visually it's more close to a film like Children of Men than to the original Blade Runner. If anything the visuals are in contrast with the first one, the original was dirty, dense cluttered and filmed at night while this is clean, empty, sterile and mostly filmed in day.. It's completely it's own film and there isn't a single frame in the entire runtime that isn't telling a story.

I agree with your exposition point though.

I gotta say, that massive BBBRRRRRRRRWAAAAAUUUUUUUUUURRRR sound that came on at almost every city shot sent chills down my spine every time.
I would have never guessed that Zimmer was involved with this.

i fucking love getting ear raped when it pans over shit its feels soooooooo goooooooooood

Fair point, I agree. I guess it felt like the visuals were empty, and the only substance it had was to try to reminisce on the original. What remained after that was strangely sterile (for that universe) fluorescent lit hallways and rooms.

I'm shitting on the movie really hard - I did like it, I just felt let down, the main gripe I have is that the writing had obviously been sterilised by studio executives and screened so that they were absolutely sure dummies would be able to follow it.

Oh boy someone will steal this and post in on reddit

>Persona Homage Scene

que?

>the writing had obviously been sterilised by studio executives and screened
Nope. Villeneuve has said multiple times that he had 100% full creative control, everything that is in the film is by his choice.

I replied to that point in an other thread
>>Blade Runner's universe seemed to be perpetually raining and dark
>That is true but they decided to go for something else with 2049. OG Blade Runner was closed space, huge towers giving an impression of claustrophobia. In that sense the movie was about verticality. 2049 on the other hand is about somewhat clean, huge landscapes giving you this time a feeling of a world too big (4u), it is therefore about horizontality

And another on the "trying to reminisce on the original"
>Yes it is counter to the themes of the og film (even though some remain in 2049), it was on purpose. Look at the scene where Deckard meets the new Rachel model, then dismisses it because OG Rachel had green eyes, you can't duplicate the past just as so you can't duplicate OG Blade Runner

Sorry if I look like an ass for quoting myself, just feeling lazy

Ya, there were not many references. There were some sound effects, like the cars and that background hum in Deckard's flat, but that was it. There was no voight kampf or esper machines in there so you go "Haha, I remember that!" because those are old tech.

I thought this too and when I saw in another thread an user asking why gosling thought he was the child I realized why they do it; fucking retards who can’t follow a goddamn plot unless it’s spelled out to them. They’re the reason we get stupid discussions of the great blackout and how it happened between two characters who clearly know better. They’re the reason simple plot lines need to be spoken aloud by characters to explain someone’s next move. The movie was too heavy on this stuff and it kills me when I open a blade runner thread and there are still people confused.

so it's good?

Anyone else loves the huge environments with brutalist and industrial aesthetics that make the characters feel really small?

>go to reddit to see what's up
>most recent comments are people hating on it and they want K to be the chosen one and they want more action'n shit

fucking brainlet.

It's great user. Ofcourse it depends on your personal preference, but it's objectively one of the best films of the year.

I liked what Zimmer did there. It gave me a sense of awe at the megalopolis but also the fear of the claustrophobic conditions people live in.

Persona homage scene?!?!?

should i watch this one even if i fucking hated the original besides cool imagery and visuals?

I feel like people who didn't recognize 'Tears in Rain' ost in K's last scene will missed the entire point of the movie

There will undoubtedly be a 4 hour directors/producers cut, and maybe even a 5 hours final cut. I'm all for it, but I'm sad I can't bathe in the sound design that an IMAX theater can produce to relive. I was talking to some old man once about "Lawrence of Arabia," and how he wished he could watch it again with fresh eyes. The two films are nothing close, but fuck man! I need that device from Eternal Sunshine. I really want to watch this movie for the first time again. I've seen a fuck ton of movies, but don't know shit about them. Like, the plot leaves a fair amount to be desired, but God Damn! The whole product is amazing.

>Let me listen to Vigil from the Mass Effect OST forever when I die, please God?

no you should kill yourself for not liking blade runner fucking brainlet.

Fuck you, Reddit is a pluthural remedy of socio-prosumptous vail and high standard of cayanatics.

You're just too dumb to.understand that

You tell me.

>There will undoubtedly be a 4 hour directors/producers cut, and maybe even a 5 hours final cut.
No, there won't. Villeneuve had 100% full creative directorial freedom and this cut is exactly what he wanted, there will be no other versions or cuts

If you didn't like BR1, you won't like this. It is very much a sequel in every sense.

Lemme dream, please.

any links yet?

Links to what? The film was literally released in the theatres yesterday.

>not watching BR2049 in IMAX
>not seeing the Blade Runner-themed version of the IMAX countdown

Why do you even stay alive?

He has no friends and low self esteem, be nice.

my local theater is a rundown shit hole

Don’t be the typical Sup Forums sperg who watches a shitty recording in Russian while pausing to shit post every 4mins and then making a thread asking when the move gets good. Watch it in a cinema, the big screen and sound is worth it alone. I don’t think I’ll touch it again until the Blu-ray

Dat Mackenzie butt
Dat whole scene
Damn

Jonze did it better.

Is this the most tragic movie in past 10 years?

My country doesn't have IMAX theatres.

Take a trip to the big city. Make a day of it.

Fuck you, Reddit is a pluthural remedy of socio-prosumptous vail and high standard of cayanatics.

You're just too dumb to.understand that

The bit where Goose is touching his double-waifu gf was incredibly disconcerting. I guess that was probably the point, but the visual effect of her hands/arms phasing through the pink girl was both offputting and sexy at the same time

I’ll preface with I’m a terrible person with shit taste, to save you the trouble, but I really just.... didn’t like this movie. At all. It felt really fucking dull. The visuals were great, the music and sound effects were great too, but the acting was just not. Almost every scene felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable and then they shoved in nudity that felt overly forced to me. Everyone seemed so uncomfortable and stiff in nearly every scene. If it was on purpose, good for them, I guess? If it wasn’t, holy fuck how did you screw up like that.
The spelling shit out for you every few minutes was obnoxious as all hell, too. I really didn’t find it likable like the first movie was.

There all robots, who cares :v)

>Walk into police station
>kill guy working in the morgue
>go upstairs
>slaughter police captain lady
>nobody does anything
>In this super high tech world where they store voice recordings from every conversation ever a robot is able to walk in, slash and walk out

???

LAPD was in Wallace's pocket anyway

>Villeneuve had 100% full creative directorial freedom and this cut is exactly what he wanted

I didn't know that was the case but thought it was during the film. I remember near the end with the water fight scene and thinking "woah this is what we get when a film is not made by committee and the studio fucks off from interfering".

she probably didn't use the front door and got rid of the cameras aswell because no one knew who killed the analytics guy either

She didn't even seem concerned about the police outside, just what Wallace would think which indicates the LAPD were in the pocket of Wallace.

What was the origami animal olmos made? Also do you think they did justice to him? In the original gaff was strangely mysterious and his ending lines and origami unicorn are pretty significant

I like that they kept the ambiguity in his statements about deckard being a replicant or not. But I wish he'd gotten a moment or line as enigmatic as the original. I guess having him show up randomly in the end would be terrible, but I was kind of hoping for it

>Lady tells 3 Cans Goose he isn't the one
>He just sits the fuck down

Why didn't the daughter tell K that he was a replicant after she saw his implanted memory?

everyone gets shit when he is old user don't be rude

Origami unicorn wasn't all that significant up until Ridley Scott got drunk one day and put that unicorn scene in. Gaff was never that mysterious up until the DC he was just another Blade Runner.

that movie was complete trash

that's my real opinion btw

I can't stop thinking about this movie.

I want Joi too....

He didn't ask, instead he sperged out and fucked off

I mean I love olmos, and I think he did just fine with what he got. I just wish there'd been a bit more.

Well it was fucking kino, and I guess Sup Forums was wrong again

>Batista could kill The Goose
>but didn't because he knew it was a decoy made by the rebels all along
did I get that right?

Because he didn't say "Tell me who this memory is from" he asked "Tell me if this memory is real"

Then, instead of saying "Who's memory is this" he assumed it was his, had a Drive autism attack and dipped while autistic girl cried

>people think this is an explanar in
You two are literally brainlets, nothing short of it.

Just finished watching it in a packed theatre. Crowd was the somewhat pretentious type but it was cool. My mates and I started clicking our fingers at the end and shouted kino and we all got a big laugh. I think most people understood "kino" and this film is a perfect example of it. Best film of 2017 in my opinion.

yes.

>It’s one of the greatest films ever made in my opinion
>mfw there are people with taste THIS bad

It's unbelievable. I guess the joke is ultimately on me. You walked away from a trash heap thinking you saw the best movie ever. I walked away from that trash heap lamenting modern cinema and the fact that 'reviewers' are lauding this POS as an example of good film-making.

Reap what you sow faggots.

I did want K to yell "TAKE IT OFF!!!"
Why does Gosling play this borderline aspey fuck in my favorite movies with him.

>Oh god, the self realization.

Maybe you needed a voice over to explain it user

Did goslings police boss want to fugg when they she was drinking?

t. brainlet

explanation*
What the fuck autocorrect?

Probably the most unnecessary scene in the whole movie is where deckard plays cat and mouse with k. Wallace should have been in the movie more too. Rebel thing just went nowhere but I liked how K just gives them a big fuck you by sparing Deckard

it has pretty pictures and appeals to nerd crowd

also american people have shit taste

Probably. Good self control from her, I doubt he could say no if she wanted to jump him

>Hehehehehe the Replicant named "Love" is a viscous bitch hehehe so clever heheheh

This is worse than the mustache twirling villain in Interstellar being named "Mann"

These writers need to stop inhaling their own farts

Like the rest of the film? No wonder you liked it, pleb.