Monster-hunting, demon-killing and vampire-slaying shows...

Monster-hunting, demon-killing and vampire-slaying shows. Why are they so comfy and are there others that live up to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Supernatural in terms of longevity and world-building?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kmy8zOGW8r4
dailymotion.com/video/x288nkb_vampire-high-1x01-rules-are-rules_tv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it may be more investigating than killing and slaying but i'm also an x-files fan.

Are you the x-files/supernatural user from the past threads?

no, i wasn't. what did that user say?

fringe

Lost Girl
It's a little low budget, but it's good. Angel/Buffy with a Celtic (and Greek later on)Mythology slant.
Hot chicks, good characters, great recuring villains that turn allies sometimes, fun monster of the week episodes, season long arcs, series long character arcs.
Main character's dad turns out to be Hades/Eric Roberts. And she's a bisexual polygamous succubus.

On the same category there is Grimm I think though I haven't watched it.
Vampire Diaries/The Originals have a few things (TO is better though)
But honestly, Buffy, Angel and SN are the GOATs in their supernatural horror drama genre
Aye Fringe is kino, and it's kind of a similar setting, though it's sci fi instead. Don't know if OP's request still covers that.

I forgot, the best character is a dwarf bar owner. Fucking based grandpa.

also:
youtube.com/watch?v=Kmy8zOGW8r4

Big Wolf on Campus is gold, tons of tv references in each episode.

There was an user who kept sperging out that supernatural should be lumped with xfiles instead of buffy because to him they have nothing in common

Heard great things about this but isn't this more scifi than fantasy?

How many seasons? Is this on netflix

>Buffy, Angel and SN are the GOATs in their supernatural horror drama genre
I like this statement a lot. As for Grimm, I tried it but couldn't get past episode 7 of season 1. It felt kinda different from the three because it has more procedural elements and i cant take some of the wesen(sp?) seriously. Which is a shame. I honestly thought it could be another good monster hunting show. But i may give it another try in the future

I liked it a lot (Aimée Castle was HOT), but it's a young teen comedy with a horror skin. It lacks the drama parts of Buffy/Angel/Supernatural.

btw, Vampire High is a great show. I remember watching it at the same time as Big Wolf. It's Vampire the Masquerade done right.
It's not about vamps going to school with humans, it's about them trying to pass as human by living in the basement and not killing anyone so the can later pass as himan without going all murder happy.
It doesn't work.

5 seasons, 77 epiosdes. I have no idea about netflix though, sorry.

VH might be hard to track down, but worth the effort. It's short (half hour episodes), but really good. There's a lot of Buffy/Angel vibe to it, but it's mostly VtM with the serial numbers filled off.

what is with these nerds pretending to be teenage girls on Sup Forums

Why are snarky characters the best

We want your dicklet in our collective mouth, manbro.

>VtM done right
Is it even possible?
Now I must watch this
Does it have good waifus?

I bet his micropeen will dry up before he can cum on us all. So manly

Lots of times they say what the viewers want to say to the 'good guys'.

Yup. A young Meghan Ory (season 1) and Karen Cliche (you might not know that name, but I'm sure you would recognize her).

It's low budget, 30 minutes per episodes, got cancelled after season 2, etc. but it's so worth it.

Humans don't know about vamps in the show (except for a special unit killing them off).

the truest comfy tv show

dailymotion.com/video/x288nkb_vampire-high-1x01-rules-are-rules_tv

It's the pilot. It gets better, but it should give you a good idea. It's only 22 minutes.

Charmed. Only up to season 6 though

Thanks, user. Will check it.

Do they even throw punches and use knives/swords? It's like an entirely different vibe

Xena is better

The Goose was young Herc. That show was shit (Young Herc), but adult Herc tv movies/tv series is great. Xena is great too. Legend of the Seeker is good too.

>Supernatural
Stop this shit meme already.

Supernatural is not on the same level as Buffy or Angel. It's standard CW trash.

Supernatural started with the WB you ignorant fag. It's significantly better than many other CW trash. Fuck off

something something psychological and instinctual need to confront your fears, and overpower your demons, though in this case, it's done vicariously from the comforts of ultimate safety. Like eating icecream without the risk of getting fat. The ultimate brain seducer.

Supernatural is already outliving Buffy+Angel airtime with the start of s13. It's at least on the same level in terms of longevity

Not OP, and some of us happen to like this meme
The drama may not be as deep, there is an annoying lack of stable, non-motherly female characters, but what it lacks in that, it makes up in extreme comfyness.
I liked SN before, now I found new love for it
So yeah, fuck off.

The Lowe Files (it's crazy fun. Well, mostly crazy. It's Rob Lowe, after all)

Brimstone

Reaper

FreakyLinks (more like X-Files than a monster hunter show, but it was good while it lasted)
DeadLast was also good, but more Scooby-Doo/band on tour meets The 6th Sense.

About half of their kills have to be slayed in a specific way like stabbed with a certain dagger (really common example) the other times they can use their powers or a combination of everything

In later seasons. Before the character went to shit, Cole was teaching Phoebe how to fight using a sword, for example.

>LE COMFY XD
Another shit meme that basically confirms the show in question being ass.

All the best characters in every show are wildcards, they're neither truly good or evil, they're out for their own self interest & their allegiances are flexible because of it:
Boba Fett - Star Wars
Catwoman - Batman
Moriarty - Sherlock Holmes
Spike - Buffy
Krycek - XFiles
Sark - Alias
Omar - The Wire
I don't know who it would be in Supernatural, certainly no Dean... maybe Crowley?

yeah fringe is definitely in the sci-fi zone. it's great though.

>Boba fett meme

>PEOPLE LIKES SOMETHING REEEEEEE
Butthurt autist confirmed
Goodbye fuckface
Take your last (You) and leave

I didn't finish the series so maybe he redeems himself but I fucking hated Krycek.

lel, I'm not the one here throwing insults around like a child. I guess it fits though with you watching MUH COMFY XD shit show for 12y old girls and all.

The wildcard character's journey isn't defined by his/her end... whether it's redemption, punishment, escape or death. They're never to be fully trusted, nor are they to be discounted as an ally in a clutch situation. From a writer's viewpoint, a wildcard character is an excellent tool to stir the pot or break up a generic G vs E scenario...

It might be fun for writers but in the case of Krycek I don't intend to ever rewatch any episode that centers around him.

As much as I like a rebel character, I disagree with the "moral ambiguity" meme that plagues everything nowadays. I preferred the days when intentions were clear and the old G vs E was just that. Simple, but inspiring and epic.
Look ad Wesley and Spike, Wesley wasn't "ambiguous" he was always the good guy, but he was the one who understood that shit had to be done too, yet his intentions were always for something higher. Spike was fun being evil, but he I liked him better when he was embracing his champion role, yet never abandoning his punk essence and being based. He was even purer than Angel at a point.
As for sides... that's different.
It's nice to have characters with clear personal morals or lack of them, I prefer it to the "I'm so morally ambiguous look at mee I only care about myself" crap BUT
I like the trope where what the character thought was the good side, was actually the bad guys all along and his paradigm shifts and he joins his previous foes who are now his allies
IE Continnum, Corporate government vs the "evil" terrorist group Liber8 I'm probably the only one who watched this :(

Why does everyone forget about this trio of demon-hunter semen-demons?

>I liked it a lot (Aimée Castle was HOT), but it's a young teen comedy with a horror skin. It lacks the drama parts of Buffy/Angel/Supernatural.

Agreed, it was one of my fav shows when I was a kid though and that is where it should remain.

A little too magic-inclined vs the other punch and brawl series

Sleepy Hollow season 1 was pretty great. Really reminded me a lot of Buffy. Shame it got way too Supernatural too quickly with angels and demonds and hell on earth and getting rid of all the comfy, creepy urban legend stuff. Haven't even watched season 3, no idea if it's cancelled or still ongoing.

Had perhaps too much nonsense drama IMO. It builds up to something grand then the grand thing isn't really portrayed properly. Like you build up to a boss battle and make it seem like the MC is going to face something extremely difficult and don't get me wrong it is difficult but the boss ends up being small, not scary and is seemingly beaten without much fireworks.

same
loved season1, but season 2 lost me

Not that buffy and supernatural don't have stuff in common but supernatural and x files definetly have much more in common than Buffy and spn

Damn OP, you really want this shit to be a general huh.

>Really reminded me a lot of Buffy. Shame it got way too Supernatural too quickly with angels and demonds and hell on earth
You pretty much just also described Buffy. How many Big bads tried to unleash hell on earth?
>The Master
summoned Old One(s) into the hellmouth
>Angelus
wanted to damn the entire planet into hell, kinda reverse situation but still
>Adam
wanted to enslave/conquer mankinda
>Glorificus
would tear down the interdimensional barriers, unleashing all kinds of hell and demons into the earth
>Dark Willow
using demonic powers to end the world
>The First
planned to set unleash his Turok-han vampire armies into the world

>Wolfram & Hart
constantly sought to rule the earth and even unleashed demons from other dimensions in the finale
>Jasmine
used the Beast to wreak havoc on its potential rivals on earth, resulting to the blotting out of the sun, allowing vampires and other demons to prowl LA freely

Hell, the only thing Buffyverse lacks is the use of the technical term "angel" but The Oracles from Angel 1 are essentially angels, and Jasmine is a renegade "heavenly force", which is pretty much analogous to Supernatural's angels and the archangels who wanted Lucifer to break free so they could start the Apocalypse and win for good

>x files definetly have much more in common than Buffy and spn
idk man, see my reply to the other user^

Season 3 was a slight slip down from 2
Season 4 was recast with forced diversity & it sucked beyond the telling!!!

>Continuum
I'ma check it out
... thanx user!

^This

Side note. I knew there was a reason why I actually liked the Jasmine arc

Continuum was great and that fucking ending was so bitter sweet.

Well I mean spn had alot of the same team the X files one had, same directors writers producers, kripke kept saying he wanted get the X files audience, some episodes are the same such as the wendigo episodes, home is a homage to x files bad blood and the monster of the week and mytharc pacing was the exact same, one had demons for mytharc and one had ayylmaos. There was an episode like tall tales where Mulder and scully both told the same story from their own points of view which made fun of the other alot, can't remember the name but it was about vampires they had a mystery spot episode where Mulder died over and over, they constantly made fun of suburbia like spn did, had a tulpa even but saying all this is pointless because it's super obvious if you've seen both shows

X-Files had demons, ghosts all the same critters spn has and well I mean just watch episodes that Kim manners directed like Die hand die verletz, that's pretty much a supernatural episode, there is also kripke saying numerous times his biggest inspirations for supernatural was X-Files and twilight zone

The main plot of x files was more sci fi than supernatural but the majority of their episodes were monster of the weeks which was the same show essentially

Jasmine arc was the first "holy shit, it's going down" Angel arc for me. The best part is ironically right before Jasmine is born though

i won't deny that. it's just how we look at things, i suppose. pic related is how Kripke pitched the idea of supernatural. X-files is part of the gist, but he also acknowledges Buffy in it.

>majority of their episodes were monster of the weeks which was the same show essentially
Buffy had these, as well. Supernatural also had some episodes almost lifted from Buffy like Normal Again vs Sam, Interrupted

I am not at all discounting X-files' influence to it. I just feel like the sci fi vs fantasy split arbitrarily works for me

>The Beast part where the apocalypse is already happening right in everyone's noses despite their best efforts as nothing can stop the rocky fella
>The Jasmine part where what everyone thought was gonna be a brimstone and fire apocalypse, was in fact a "death of free will" scenario, a dystopia of mind slavery where our heroes are helpless and alone for real for the first time.
What a ride that was

>unlike X-FILES the show isnt VANCOUVER RAINY

Except for all those episodes filmed in the same areas where in vancouver where it rained all the time, kek

>when even Wolfran & Hart are caught with their pants down
>the rain of fire
>the Ra-tet subplot
>Cordy vs Willow showdown
>releasing Angelus
>Faith is back into the fold
goddamn that was easily the best string of episodes from Angel

jasime was a massive let down from my memory. going to rewatch buffy and angel now. what I do remember was a massive build up with the beast to a massive let down with this hippy corpse negress.

cant remember if this was the arc that angel went undercover as angelus but that was cool.

would've preferred conner be sent to sunnydale during this arc. he was just an annoyance with his beef with angel and tryin to cuck him with cordelia.

pretty sure it was all cordelias fault hiding her pregnancy so they had to re write a bunch of shit, do the jasmine arc and cut her out of the show as revenge.

>in vancouver where it rained all the time
Faith was especially rainy

>what I do remember was a massive build up with the beast
yep, see

continuum was great for the first two seasons when it was a pretty morally grey conflict with a corporate fascist police soldier versus radical freedom fighters/terrorists. Then it just goes full on retard in the third season and the quality of the writing plummets like crazy. Incidentally also when it stops being about that conflict and turns into something else

First 4 seasons in 1080p fucking when?

How did that ever get the greenlight, reads like such drivel.

Do they still have the men of letters bunker or did that get fucked? God I hate this shit. they made some in-universe progress with that treasure trove then they ended with them blowing up walls and shits.

fuck yea and then it's final build up was some stupid hippy corpse.

cheers for the thread just watching s01e01 buffy now.

this series got me laid with a hapa. it was a good winter

he's been pitching it for years before it finally got greenlit

>Do they still have the men of letters bunker or did that get fucked?
we'll know next season, i suppose

Don't forget the Mayor wanted to become an Old One.

he did become one, just not for long.

yeah but his plot never explicitly mentioned bringing other old ones or opening a portal or anything. he was just there, wanting to get stronger and eat.

kinda like the leviathans of supernatural 7. They were already on earth, there is no more need to open portals and shit, they just want to sit and eat murricans as buffet

First three seasons of Vampire Diaries and The Originals are mad comfy, had really good writing with all the different magical loopholes different parties use to try and fuck each other over.

Like it or not, mankind has a deep seated psychological fear of monsters. These shows give the oldest parts of our brains a certain peace not found elsewhere

best couple in the best dialog of the show

best with her pigtails, glasses and southern accent

Good heavens, people are you trying to force me to post Amy?
I don't have the Lilah impersonation pic though

HNNNNGH

>its a sam and dean bury an immortal man 6 feet deep forever episode

that was dark.

What ever happened to Stephanie Romanov? Did she take the mommy route after Angel?

Is that the H.H Holmes one?

no. dr benton probably. s3, time is on my side

havent seen her in anything unfortunately

Is there an episode that's actually any more kino that this? Because I don't think so.

haven't watched it yet but only read good things so far. need to catch up soon

>Wes' face at the end

jesus christ

when punished wes is like fuck it you leave it on and keep it up

I'm on ep 2 now. we need an eternal buffy / angel general.

>She will be as qt and pure as Amy. She's a different kind of attractive.
>But seriously, screw it, keep the glasses on.

>we need an eternal buffy / angel general
that we do

and to stir some shit up, Buffy 7 is one of the best seasons. Buffy 3 is overrated.

shit opinion, but also Angel season 5 is the worst and 4 is the best.

nah, buffy/angel threads are better when they as spontaneous. It would get really cancerous if there was an eternal thread. I feel like we're already running out of things to discuss from the uptick in threads the past few months

3F616C82E20E627BA06AAD9AF4C664926066D6C1

5B794E31239FFF51BC0EF1BE9CB20D63BBA91F02

1CD627A31103D4C70C3EFC91003C133A66DCB566

351A4507E30DDF0CCDB2D9934F30F2FA7C27AE6A

73FAE0545CEDEA14D24D4E0DADC1FB2B8BD8D6A5

FD5C570F1BBC2DB15348D4CB7F2BD497211090EC

Angel 4 is the best but Angel 5's last stretch >>>>>> Angel 4's post-Jasmine birth

Adding Supernatural to the mix seems to be working nice so far.
We used to have spontaneous weekly ones, but then shit happened and they all went straight to shit.
Supernatural anons are bros and they have been doing god's work in restoring the comfy

I'm on episode 2 of buffy right now. I'll finish this then get to angel. and for my first time watch supernatural.
I hope supernaturals as good as people claim.