Go into The Orville expecting Family Guy tier humour, SJW bullshit, and DUDE...

>Go into The Orville expecting Family Guy tier humour, SJW bullshit, and DUDE, WEED shit with low budget visuals and unlikable meme characters
>End up getting a show that is 1% comedy, 99% Next Generation, very little humour in it, actual likeable characters (including heaps of Star Trek alumni), and the only regressive bullshit is in no way ham fisted or forced down your throat. Case in point: STD, stronk female protagonist takes out armoured Klingons in melee because...? , in The Orville, their female security officer is from a species with super strength

This show has no right to be as good as it is. Just finished episode 5 and legitimately want to see episode 6, whereas I have no intention of watching STD anymore after the third episode because I've had enough of every character being an unlikable cunt with the whole WE WUZ protagonist constantly smirking.

>Realise that Brannon Braga produces the show and Frakes directed the latest ep

How can anyone prefer STD to The Orville? I simply don't understand how Trek fans can't like it. Why is it getting so shit scores from "critics", yet the polar opposite from the audience? Meta = 3.6 critics to 8.1 audience, and RT = 20% critics, 90% audience.

If you haven't watched it, go pirate the first episode right now (so you know i'm not some shill). You have nothing to lose, and like me, you might be extremely surprised how Trek it actually is.

Just don't go into it expecting to laugh.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can I copypasta your post here into the /orville/ general thread? Fuck it, I'm doing it. Thank me later.

Unironically this. Expected it to be trash but it was pretty alright desu

Hope you are right, OP. I really need something good or at least watchable to take the filth STD taste out of my mouth.

>wanting family guy style "humor"
kill yourself

>I want cum all over my face

i just bet you do kuk

Orville is surprisingly well made and actual great science fiction.

>By the fourth episode we're exploring a 2000 year old derelict spaceship the size of new york where the people inside it think it's a planet and have regressed to colonial era tech
>Discovery 4th episode we're still fighting Klingons with no actual Star Trek stuff happening

Yea, the fifth one wasn't that bad also.

I didn't... That's the point.

that does sound far more trek like than DUDE WE'RE USING MIDICHLORIANS TO TRAVEL FASTER THAN WARP SPEEDS!

A good indicator of quality on a Seth McFarlane show is measured with the TTFPR (Time To First Penis Reference) factor. The TTFPR is calculated by measuring how long it takes before there's a crude penis joke, which in The Orville happens at the 3m50s mark on the first episode.

So, given an episode length of 46m, this brings the TTFPR up to (46*60) / (3*60+50) = 12

Any show with Seth McFarlane that has a TTFPR above 10 is considered a high quality show.

But wait, you might say that the blue guy spraying blue fluids out of his face might have been ejaculating, making his head a euphemism for a penis, and this happens at the 1m18s mark, raising the TTFPR up to 35 (rounded down).

Gentlemnt, 35 is right of the scale. Seth McFarlane has outdone himself in all respects, and we should gently press our lips against his asshole and ask him to shit in our collective mouths for being such a comedy genius. A TTFPR factor of this magnitude in this day and age is truly the work of a genius who is ahead of his time.

You wear glasses and identify as a feminist, don't you?

What the fuck are you banging on about?

Fucking hell, is your special helmet pinching too tight?

This dude is obsessed with cocks

That's an unfortunate case of autism you have there

*INHALES*

*EXHALES*

Orville released ratings as CBS is acting like they can't do it. SHeeeIItt..

That means they are hiding their taxes.

Fucking idiot. Just because you don't laugh doesn't mean there's no humor in it (or at least, their attempt at humor - there's a joke attempt every few mins).

>getting this mad

>Yfw hopeless people who suckle up to STD will tell you it's pure Trek no matter how you try to convince them, and that Orville is some kind of joke-riddled slap stick comedy
>Yfw they are so blind they can't see STD for the grim-dark war drama that it is

I watch both but prefer Orville over STD.

The Orville is fucking amazing. Which is why this story is so sad. STD will get multiple seasons to try to get its feet before ultimately being abandoned for the shit that it is. The Orville however, even though well received by audiences will continue to be shit on by critics and studios until they get a non renewal notice before they are even finished filming a complete season.

Fact. Sad sad fact.

Too many people suck Orville's dick, and people are too harsh on STD. That's not to say that there isn't some merit to what folks are saying, and I certainly have issues with the non-Trek-ness of STD (which seems like it's going to be closer to Fringe in space that TOS or TNG), but it's not a dumpster fire (at least not yet). Meanwhile, The Orville is entertaining but hardly fantastic so far. I mean, I like it, but I think if it were the Star Trek series and STD were the the unaffiliated show, a lot of more people would be bitching about The Orville and embracing STD than is currently the case. I'm not saying that's all there is to people's reactions, but I do think it's a factor.

But even if I think the audience reaction to the shows is somewhat hyperbolic, the critical reaction to them is much worse. An 87% for STD on RT feels like it's overshooting the mark, and a 20% for The Orville is absolutely fucking retarded.

It's funny how the Orville is more like Star Trek than DSC is.

>This show has no right to be as good as it is.
It's pretty easy when you're a foxshill. It's also full of SJW shit so nice try.

youtube.com/watch?v=qCiRnmkt9RU

>go pirate the first episode right now (so you know i'm not some shill)

You wouldn't raise the possibility unless you were.

Spore warp sounded silly when I first heard it but it's based on actual theoretical science.

>Brannon Braga
You mean the man responsible for Voyager and the TNG movies?

but Frakes directed episodes for STD too

he is the true winner

>another STD vs Orville thread
Why can't I enjoy both? Why does everything have to be console wars with this board? If I wanted that, I'd just go to Sup Forums.

Really? Do you have some links? I'm curious.

And the worst of ENT.

Genuinely a great show. I was shocked at how deft ep.3 handled the trans thing. On one hand, I didn't even like that it was a topic, on the other, that IS something Star Trek does, and to do so in a way wherein actually having the sex change is the "redpilled" thing, well, bravo. That's some actual Star Trek shit right there. I don't think a phaser was even fired in that episode.

While I like Orville more I agree with you that you can enjoy both.

Look up Paul Stamets. Also, incorporating the Spore Drive concept into Trek was originally Bryan Fuller's original idea.

I think STD has bigger chance of failing hard but also a higher upper limit in terms of potential and where it can take high concept ideas. Orville has the middle ground, I don't really think it will show us anything new but a lot of Trek fans don't really want that anyway. It's two different aspects of Trek at play here and both shows seem to be appealing to different ends.

>STD will get multiple seasons to try to get its feet before ultimately being abandoned for the shit that it is
I don't understand people who think like this. Why are you hoping it will fail instead of get better?

Metacritic and Rottentomatoes are Jewish owned, and most of the critics are either Jewish or work for Jewish publications or websites.

I see this argument a lot... but they always go out the window whenever a movie we like gets a positive score.

why do the studios hate the critics then?

>stronk female protagonist takes out armoured Klingons in melee
>blaming your lack of Star Trek knowledge on others
You flaming faggots should stick to your Orshill. She grew up on Vulcan. It has a much higher gravity than Earth, which results in dense bones and muscles. Vulcans have been physically superior to humans since TOS. Now you know why, because I told you.

She doesn't even take them out in a melee, she shoots them. It's like no one even watched the show.

Seth readily admitted that Fox manipulated the trailer to make it look like a comedy, and it really isn't.

This the self-insert star trek fanfiction he's been waiting his entire career for someone to let him make

Yea, she does parry some blows then albino guy tries to smash her skull. She didn't do any notable melee.

>the first episode
Eh. I wouldn't say the first episode was good. The latest episode would be a better sampler and would convert someone over to it much more easily. It was the most Star Trek feeling episode so far. Overall the Orville feels llike Star Trek with an arguably more realistic and uppity crew. I don't get the critic hate myself. Yeah, the humor actively gets into the way of a good drama sometimes, but it's slowly or surely doing a better job of making the jokes flow with the show.

STD is turning out to be such a massive disappointment. We already have The Expanse that manages to have much more likable characters and an interesting plot. The Expanse also doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth since it isn't a series betrayal and a pretty nice adaptation of the novel series. STD just feels like a mediocre sci-fi drama that I'm only watching because I want more sci-fi. I'm honestly really upset.

I'll probably continue with /std/ but only to make fun of it. Maybe it will get good?

The Expanse is a borefest 60% of the time, it's hard to keep track of relevant information, because it puts you to sleep in between the interesting parts. Then you keep watching and find that you don't understand a reference to something you should know about already, because you missed it, because the information was presented during a boring scene you didn't pay much attention to.

The first season was immeasurably better than the second, because there was no single episode that was definitely worse than any other. The second season had a few of the best episodes so far, but between boring shit hardly worth mentioning.

DIS in the meanwhile gives you the exact same setting the dominion wars did in DS9 only updated to 2017 storytelling standards, both in writing and visuals.

Maybe if it stops taking itself so seriously.

I'll agree with you to an extent. I wasn't feeling The Expanse at all up until the last two episodes of season one and was on the same boat as you. I enjoyed season two much, much more though. I think it did a great job of keeping your interest and didn't have too many callbacks to earlier episodes. I especially liked the more action-adventure scenes/episodes and the thicc Martian being questioned on Earth.

The only dragfests in season two for me were the often tone-breaking Martian crew scenes before most of that crew dies on Europa. It felt like the original plan was to give them an entire episode but plans changed and they decided to slice it up and insert the filmed scenes into the first couple episodes instead.

Isaac is cute. CUTE.

>it's an "Alara, can you open this jar of pickles for me?" episode

i smoke weed while i watch it. i also smoke weed when i watched discovery star trek. i even smoke weed when i walk my dog. the only time im not smoking weed is when im not at home and im only never not home when i need to go full dexter on someone

>don't understand how Trek fans can't like it
I'm a trekkie since forever and i like this show more than STD, i'm also still intrested in STD because i think the plot has potential since they decided to give the series a main plot structure from the start instead the old good "planet of the week" script. The thing that bugs me is to see all of those trekfags shitting all over the orville's threads.

I mean jesus fucking christ, cant you simply watch both the shows and enjoy whats good in them? This attitude a la "my sci-fi is better than yours" is just retarded as fuck.

Also, now this thread is a xeno waifu thread

those people who bitch for too long in orville topics most likely never seen the show, they shitposted once, got replied to, and now feel forced to stay in the topic replying everytime they get replied to. its a cycle for those trolls.
thats why some people say to ignore b8 because the b8 will either do 3 of 1 things. either refresh the page several times until a reply happens, attempt another b8 reply, or go to another topic they did get replied to.

WHY CAN'T WE JUST ACCEPT WE ARE IN A GOLDEN AGE OF SCI-FI AND STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER

STAR TREK IS GOING IN ITS OWN SPECIAL DARK GLOOMY DIRECTION

ORVILLE IS THE WACKY LIGHTHEARTED STAR TREK WE MISSED

BLADE RUNNER 2049 IS AMONGST THE GOAT SCI-FI FILMS

LETS STOP FIGHTING PLEASE GUYS AND JUST APPRECIATE IT ALL

but picking sides is epic and lulzy

>DUDE WEED
Didn't she literally get a weed brownie?

>It's an "Alara tells Seth she really likes him and can't handle getting told he doesn't like her that way." episode

Blondie can't act.
Teen chick can't act.
Nigga doc's got face so pumped up with meds that she looks like she can't act and she's the most convincing on the whole show.
And then you have black nude dude sitting on a an egg fiasco that made people run from it in hordes...
CGI looked trashy bad at first and then the ship they have started to do xwing circles around another ship.
Allien designs come from the dumbest, least imaginative person on whole planet. You have tough alien, one gender alien, super advanced aliens, advanced mildracist alien. That's it. Hoping for any deeper backstory? Fuck YOU!

Acting can be fixed, but if that's the quality of writting from the start, when you had time to prepare and develop scripts, there is no helping it, show is a train wreck.

I miss time when this received fistbumps. Kids nowdays can't type two words on their smartphones so high comedy is past their heads.

>and she's the most convincing on the whole show
No wonder, she's the only one who played in former Star Trek.

But Seth also starred in Trek.

Fuck me she's Sisko's gal! Damn me, I take that meds comment back. She looks damn fine for her age.

Glad you finally realized.

Seth? In Star Trek? When?

Still better than STD 2bh

The Orville's scripts and acting both still seem a bit hammy to me, but there's a lot of promise. What I *do* like is the general atmosphere of the production. As others has said, it feels more like Star Trek of old rather than the JJ Lensflair movies and ST:Discovery. Hopefully the scripts will get better. So far all of them have been written by Seth MacFarlane, which is probably the source of their hamminess. Maybe Fox will start allowing open script submissions à la ST:TNG.

Atmosphere is there, but theme isn't. What they're missing is naval aspect. Early Start Trek is sailship in space. If you've read Patrick O'Brian, Cook diaries, or any other naval novel, you'll see the similarities immediately. And they're all missing it. Orvile, New Trek, all Trek movies. They're all missing casual sailing the space, shenanigans of the crew, discoveries, ship acting up, and prolonged combat.

It's also full of laziness. Just in the last episode:
>they are flying but in the next scene the stars are stationery in the window
>they amputate a leg at the knee,
but the amputated part is a full leg
etc.

fuck you you fucking nigger

Halston Sage is a fucking mint actor

You fucking leave her alone

Alara is best character. I love her

fucking prick

youre ratings are tanking. please just die already.

He was in an episode of Enterprise.

He truly loves ST, has done all his life. This is why his show is so much better.

I hope you take that comment about Alara back as well.

Except it's pointless because obviously it's not going to work out. Unless they're just completely throwing out the canon of the franchise

I saw it coming in Episode 5 and I still laughed my ass off

Spoilers: if they destroyed the time portal how are they not dead?

Really the only thing I don't like about Orville is the divorce shit. That line where what's her face says getting tortured isn't anything because "I've been through a divorce" was so cringey. Also I wish the episodes were longer.

>When you've got to be such a contrarian console war faggot that you latch onto a Seth McFailane production
Never change Sup Forums
Got plenty of tendies in the freezer ready to go when this shit show gets canned

Better... sure. If shitty design, shitty costumes, flat dialogue, talentless actors, dick jokes and inconsistencies are your thing.

>STD will get multiple seasons
I doubt it. Once CBS streaming service fails so will the show.

I watch both of them and have been enjoying Orville more
>console war

lmao, how the fuck can you bring up acting at all when you have STD to compare it to?

oh sorry, i forgot the pinnacle of the form was having the same charisma-less resting bitchface at all times

Because Pria was lying about the fact that they would have been killed.

I'd take an actor who fails to get her character over superficial acting failing to provide immersion into the setting any fucking day of the week.

I can accept that but Captain Mercer's explanation was confusing. Does he remember the events of the episode?

Issues of temporal causality have no business being discussed in a show as casual as Orville. It's like a sitcom version of the space odyssey.

They remember everything, she was transported back to her own timeline after the wormhole was destroyed rather then be killed or removed from existence.

Which was total bullshit, because if everything still happened, she should've stayed right where she is, in front of the captain, stuck in that timeline.

>we dont mess with the timeline
>destroys wormhole, fucking wth timeline

btw how did they know how to destroy a wormhole, a phenomena they have never encuntered before.

Also is cute strong chick going to need to do at least one strong thing per episode? It's alright I'm just bitching.

I think the general idea was that the wormhole's existence has given the necessary quantum-magic to sustain her and the future's existence, so long as the wormhole itself existed. As Mercer says, that changes the moment they destroy it, but it does not seem like to have gone with the usual undoing of events. Rather the quantum-states collapsed to a point where from now on the Orville has existed/will continue to exist due to events that were at that point a potential allowed by the wormhole, but Whatshername is now gone because HER existence at that point of time and space is no longer supported.

Source: my ass.

I think it's safe to assume that it was left like that so she could return in future episodes. I think it's clear she is going to be the 'Q' of the Orville.

Helps that Seth and Charlie Theron were/are a couple.

I am okay with her coming back, being obsessed with the captain and tormenting him for ruining her career.

If she never went there how could they have lived through the dark matter storm?
Why did Mercer bother to put the teleporter away if it disappeared too (did it?) Is Captain Mercer's dick still wet or is he a defacto virgin again?

I honestly don't think the shows compare. One is a lighthearted space adventure and one is a serious space action/drama. It's okay to like one or the other or both, but the autistic memeing that they're rival shows is getting old.

It literally doesn't matter because the show is episodic.

>are a couple

Naw, bruh. He's with Halston Sage these days.

Completely agree. Orville to ST:D is like The Big Bang Theory is to The Imitation Game.