Flashman: epic waiting to happen?

So when do i get my Flasman cinematic universe?

I mean the material it's self is both raw and controversial by modern standards but still hilarious and great material for lovers of Victorian history. Can you imagine some of these battles on the big screen both well known and obscure? All the while satire abound mocking and praising certain historical figures.

All we got was that schlock in the 70's with royal flash (a poor peformance from Michael mcdown I feel) and some news of a guy making something a few years back then nothing.

FUCKING WHEN.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yP1vSIOmCc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The old movie fucking sucks. Face it user, Flashy is one IP thats genuinely too hot to handle. Even if it did get made do you really think they'll keep it a saucy as it is? Like can you actually picture some actor decked out as Flashy shouting "get back you mad nigger" on a cinema screen in 2017?

Pic very related.

>Like can you actually picture some actor decked out as Flashy shouting "get back you mad nigger" on a cinema screen in 2017?

Yes. Yes I can.

I've never heard about Flashman before, but that picture looks patriarchal and problematic.

>patriarchal and problematic
That's the whole point. Flashman is an anti-hero, sometimes even a villain, who does really nasty things sometimes. Only one rape though, the rest were quite willing.
There is a bit of what some people would mislabel "feminism" in the series though, what with the several strong female characters who twarth Flashy quite often.

Pic related, Dominic West in Flashman-getup. He's a bit too old to play the young Flashy, but he'd do well for the later stories.

youtube.com/watch?v=yP1vSIOmCc4

Nonono, that's a completely different character, who incidently is pretty much like Flashman, only Flashheart is actually deliberately heroic.

but can you actually see Mr Goldbergstein financing a movie sourced from a book series with the lines, "tighter than a scotch jew" or "the most damned decent jew i ever met". I would love it too happen but it won't and if it does i reckon theres more chance of it ruining the source material to make it palatable.

As long as it's entertaining enough for people to want to watch, and the Victorian prejudices can be ridiculed somehow, it is doable.
The bottom line is all that matters.

I know but you are missing the point here pal. THEY WILL RUIN everything the readers of the books love to make it palatable to normies. IT WILL NOT BE FLASHMAN without the racism and the sexism BECAUSE THATS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT. I would rather have no flashman than Flashwoman 2017

Flashman was the bully in the classic novel Tom Brown's Schooldays, and the subject of his own book series by George MacDonald Fraser

>FlashMan
>wanting more capeshit

who'd he rape?

an afghan dancing girl given to him as a party favour during some negotiations.

its the year 0000+2017 pal. it's FlashXER

I've had this book for about 5 years and have never gotten round to reading it. Probably will now I've seen this.

Read all George MacDonald Frasers books. He's the best fiction writer of the 20th century. You haven't heard of him more becuase he was virulently anti PC.

>an afghan dancing girl given to him as a party favour during some negotiations.
In Flashy's defence he resolves never to rape again. As he likes to sleep after sex, and the Afghan girl trying to gouge out his eyes rather spoiled that for him.

Psh like i care what Flashy gets up to anyway. He's a fucking great character.

I wonder how expensive a movie like Flashman would cost to make. Period costumes
Exotic locale
Would have kind of a limited appeal too. Could see BBC doing something with it but it's very antiPC and flashman isn't a black woman so they won't

True. Did you ever read Mr American? It's 90 year old Flash trying to deal with his suffragette great niece.

>movie about a textbook FUCKING WHITE MALE
>being made in the year 2017
sweetie...

Its actually my favourite book. Not only for the old Flashman parts but because its George MacDonald Fraser turning his formidable historical writing skills to preserving an image of this country at its greatest. Lots of feels in Mr American for patriotic brits. Have you read the Pyrates?

Yeah the section where he describes the country gradually slipping into ww1 is beautiful. Only other GMF book I read was the one about the border Reavers, and I didn't like it as much as his others.

If it was the satire "The Reavers" then maybe don't read the Pyrates cos its in the same vein just spoofing mid 20th century swashbuckling fims. His history book are good (the Steel Bonnets is also about border reivers).

However "Quartered Safe Out Here" is his ww2 autobiographical account and may be THE single best personal memoir of the war. Did you know that George Macdonald Fraser has killed at least 3 men in combat?