YO FUCK THE BIG BUILD UP OF MISERY AND SELF DESTRUCTION JUST DO YOGA

Seriously, what kind of ending was this? What the fuck were they thinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/thelist/where-don-draper-ends-d-b-cooper-begins-e96804523838
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>that peggy and stan ending
>"I-I guess I love you too!"

Bravo weiner you fucking hack

They were thinking
>Fuck those fans who figured out Don was DB Cooper in s3 and posted it to the internet
>They RUINED our show so we madr a FUCK YOU YOURE WRONG ending just bcuz were sooooo butthurt were not as smrt as we thought we were

Don wad DB Cooper bud.

>true happiness comes from dropping your responsibilities and doing nothing
It's a shame that by the time millenials realize this isn't true they've already put themselves on the path to dying alone

DUDE I WANT TO BE A CARREER WOMAN OH WAIT NO I DONT LOL I CARE ABOUT LOVE NOW EVEN THOUGH IT GOES AGAINST MY ENTIRE ARC AND SHITS ALL OVER MY ENTIRE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT LMAO

It perfectly summed up the major theme of the show, which is the complete lack of an authentic American culture other than nihilistic consumer hedonism

>true happiness is dying as a wage slave with a bitchy wife

really makes me think.

Sounds like it was too deep for you, pleb.

>At last! I have finally become a mad man

an ending women could never understand obviously

it was literally perfect

>don wanders off from advertising and gets work as a test driver for some kind of fucking rocket car and then confronts a young grifter that reminds him of himself and tries to impart wisdom to him

it's like fan fiction written by a housewife

I'm not aware of that theory. Please explaon.

I truly don't think you got it - explain what you think happened

DUDE FUCK SPENDING THE REST OF MY LIFE IN LUXURY ENSURING A GREAT FUTURE FOR MY SON IM A STRONK CAREER WOMAN NOW BECAUSE UHHH...WELL BIG BOOBS XD

I wonder if pegs will ever tell stan about her abandoned baby lmao

Don should have killed himself you fucking dumb cunt. He was broken in a way that can't be fixed and he hated himself for it. But lol the yoga cure all amiright

It didn't cure him you fucking mong. He always does this. He panics, runs away and thus something stupid, but somehow always lands back on his feet.

>thus
I meant does. Don't know how that happened.

>Well Don, I guess we''ve finally become AMC's Mad Men

wtf wiener

she did

You must be genZ. Everyone WHO WAS HERE knows Don was DB Cooper and the show was supposed to end with him hijacking a plane & parachuting out the back with a gigant bundle of money. They were too butthurt Sup Forums figured it out in s03..

I still can't work out why Joan because such a treacherous cunt to Don at the end, especially considering that he was essentially the only person there who consistently treated her with a deep and sincere respect.

She fucked her way up to a partnership level and then tried to use the power of her partnership to kick Don out of the company that he himself founded/saved, because of some bitterness of Don inexplicably "costing me money", despite the fact that a vast amount of Joan's power and wealth is derived from Don and his talent and his actions in the first place.

I'm glad that Don outmanoeuvred her and Cutler, leading to both of their irrelevance. Cutler and Joan tried to steal the company that Don made after failing to diminish his role within it, Don and Roger get Cutler cut loose and Joan gets bullycided out of the company after it gets bought out by McCann, after having her own role diminished in the same way that she tried to force on Don. POETRY.

I always figured he would jump off a tall building like in the intro sequence.

They were thinking that all the insight and self-reflection Don is ultimately capable of will ultimately be undermined by his cowardice, and his once chance at true self-knowledge has been replaced with shallow slogans and a glib, insincere caricature of understanding and tolerance.

When I saw this still for finale, I thought is was Don killing, which I think I would have liked a lot more than what I got.

Same, then he lands onto a lazyboy and a glass of old fashioned falls into his hand

this would have been a god-tier ending

did anyone actually predict it tho?

>why Joan because such a treacherous cunt
why Joan BECAME such a treacherous cunt

That's not a major theme, any more than any show in any other show glorifying wealth would have the same theme. It's not like people in ad agencies where there's presumably an "authentic culture" couldn't have similar, miserable lives.

Don goes back to work and uses what he saw at the camp as inspiration to write the coke ad. What did you expect? Don to come back a better person?

>It didn't cure him you fucking mong.
Suicide, then, would have brought more closure, and thus, would have been better.

If there's ad agencies in another culture, then the culture isn't authentic. It is a major theme.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Pete.

This

is that a pork store?

medium.com/thelist/where-don-draper-ends-d-b-cooper-begins-e96804523838

I think another woman came up with it though, not this fake news vulture

>If there's ad agencies in another culture
So, pretty much no developed country has an authentic culture? Genius.

No, at one point they're talking about what it's like having kids and it gets brought up.

Now this is how you end a character arc

Really? Huh. I'll take your word for it, then.

Yep, pretty much. Does this upset you?

It's literally this. Don always gets better, then crashes and burns again.

I think it's a quite idiotic assertion, really, as if authenticity of culture was basically dependent on the area in which it exists either having a very low standard of living, or very unnaturally having a high development, but not having advertising, as if such a thing weren't dependent on human nature plus a propensity to consume. Tell me, are there any countries with an authentic culture right now that can be made to not have an authentic culture by opening a single ad agency, no matter how small or irrelevant?

Fuck you guys, I liked it.

This is wrong though. Weiner himself has said in interviews that this interpretation is cynical and that he intended the ending to be optimistic and even said he regards that coke ad warmly.

>Espresso light off

>I still can't work out why Joan because such a treacherous cunt to Don at the end
Are you retarded? Don dropped Jaguar even after what Joan did to help get the company Jaguar which is why Joan is permanently upset by him and anything he does. How the fuck does that go over your head?

Joan was ALWAYS a fucking cunt. She was going to have a man raise a child that wasn't his own

DON TOLD HER NOT TO

i didnt see the ending, but was it treated as a good ending, turning new age hippie as some real lasting solution for his issues?

DUDE DON JUST NOCKS HIMSELF DOWN THEN GETS BACK UP AGAIN OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR ALL ETERNITY LAUGH MY FUCKING A OFF

Or should have ended with Peggy at like at studio 54 trying to figure out how to sell cigarettes to 20 year old black funk fans

The thing is, women and gays get upset when they have to fuck men they don't like. Look at Sal, Lee Garner Jr. wanted to fuck him, but he didn't do it, and got fired as a result. Joan did it, but when Don got rid of the guy, it was all for nothing to her. A man, like Don, would fuck someone to get ahead, and wouldn't complain.

I'm baffled that then the show's ultimate thing is "it's ridiculous to think women's place isnt as a miserable wage slave, only men shouldnt follow that corporate slavery and find happiness as a gay hippie. They should be more sensitive and women more ruthless and powerful"

Don told her not to, THEREFORE don is not responsible for what she did. He is out of the equation from that point on.

God, they wasted so much time on this.

>it's ridiculous to think women's place isnt as a miserable wage slave
That's wrong though, and Peggy's story proves you wrong. She became someone obsessed with work and ignored her personal life. Her final conversation with Roger, and her getting with Stan, prove the opposite. Joan becomes a more independent person, forging her own path through work, but Peggy was able to get an enjoyable life in and out of the office.

The episode is Season 7 “Time & Life”

isnt that just an ending saying women can have it all ("but dont get lost in work" etc)? Be both powerful in business and arena of careers AND have a fulfilling love when you're a ~35yo woman?

Why? Why would "closure" make it better? Suicide doesn't fit his character at all. Panicing, running away, denying himself everything he's wanted professionally, then in some odd, bullshit fashion pulling himself together and coming back with the greatest idea ever is a perfect ending for Don.

Countries don't really have authentic cultures. A New Yorker's experience of America is going to be vastly different from somebody living on a ranch in the American Mid-west. Regions might have authentic cultures, possibly, but then regional advertising isn't much of a thing.

Don was literally the only person to tell her not to do that, he didn't want her to fuck Herb just so they could get Jaguar, he explicitly told her that it wasn't worth it and was visibly mad at her when he found out that she did it anyway (even though she technically did it before she found out that Don was against the whole thing). They were also going to lose Jaguar anyway, it was just a matter of time, AND they replaced Jaguar almost immediately. Roger was even about to tell them all that they needed to drop Jaguar in the exact same moment that Don told them that they'd already been dropped.

So Joan tried to humiliate and run Don out of his own company because he wasn't willing to desperately cling to a client that they were going to lose anyway, all because Joan was mad that she'd whored herself out to some fat guy to get that client for her own benefit, even though Don told her that she didn't need to do that and that he didn't want her to, and even though she was only able to treat Don that way using the power of the undeserved partnership that she got out of it, in a company that only continued to exist because of Don?

Sounds like Joan was a massive backstabbing two-faced whore who betrayed the only person who treated her well because her feelings were hurt in an irrational and misplaced bitterness over something that Don didn't even want her to do in the first place.

So how am I the retard?

>regional advertising isn't much of a thing
bro local ads are always the funniest shit

Not the user you were replying to, but what was it about Mad Men that made you think that…

>…Peggy & Stan would live happily ever after? Or that any of them did? Just think of it as another season finale, and you will never get to see the drama that unfolds in each of their lives from this point forward.
>…Peggy just wasn't another MM character trying to [surprise!] wrestle with what they TRULY want versus what they think they should want or what they think the world expects of them? They were all trying to fight their own neuroses (with varying success) to find those sweet spots, and only briefly finding them when they did.

Formerly Chuck's

Well she owns her own company and her son stands to inherit all of Rogers money. Pretty sure that kid is set.

BUT NO NO NO DIDN'T YOU SEE THE ENDING JOAN IS A SUCCESSFUL BUISNESS WOMAN NOW AND SHES GREAT AT IT

>Just think of it as another season finale
I'm going by what another user said that the creator didnt see Don's ending as cynical but actually a tidy bow

Why did they drink coffee outside a butchers

>Regions might have authentic cultures, possibly,
Taking the US as a collective is the issue here because it's an amalgamation of 50 fucking states across a massive landmass.

DUDE LETS SPEND 1/3 OF THE LAST SEASON ON BIG TITS BECAUSE MAYBE THAT WILL DISTRACT THE AUDIENCE DUDE LETS MAKE DON SPEND TIME WITH SOME PREGNANT WOMAN NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT DUDE LETS MAKE A GENERIC FEAL GOOD COKE COMMERCIAL DUDE LETS SHIT ALL OVER EVERYTHING WE SPENT YEARS BUILDING UP DUDE!

Damn I never noticed how purposefully dark they made it, looks awful.
They also served food, sandwiches.

>meme speak
Way to invalidate whatever your point is.

DUDE BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN COUNTRIES ARENT COMPLETELY UNIFIED LIKE SOME HIVE OF ANTS CULTURE ISNT AUTHENTIC I THINK?!

Yes, but Weiner also said:

>“[Don]’ll probably find a fourth or fifth wife and then die in like 1981 from hard living.”

The bow is only tidy when our view from the "rest of the story" is limited right up to that cheerful upturn.

DUDE, no it doesn't

New age shit isn't deep and it doesn't solve your problems, it's a bunch of fucking voodoo nonsense

Don simply realised its economic value to peddle to normies

And that's why he's the king

>normies
Who let you out of your cage, /r9k/uck?

I can understand these criticisms throughout the thread. But if you didn't realize within the first 1-3 seasons or so that the show was lacking the level of quality character examination and development as its counter-part the sopranos you're silly. It just simply wasn't as deep or well thought out as it tries to present itself as. The aesthetic and the period piece is spot on though and its strongest suite. Endless memorable fun moments so there is still plenty to enjoy just not so much in the conclusion.

Weiner doesn't have a monopoly on meaning, though. The fact that the coke ad has warm, sentimental associations for Matthew Weiner is pretty irrelevant in the context of the show, since the viewing audience is unlikely to share those particular connotations. In other words, we are not watching the show as Matt Weiner - Matt Weiner cannot communicate his incredibly specific, subjective personal experiences through the screen to the audience.

So what the audience is left with is Don Draper taking the libertine, loving, essentially pacifist/ anarchist lifestyle of the commune, and rather than learning any kind of lesson from this alternative way of being, instead reducing it to all to a faux-profound commercial selling a caffeinated beverage. He doesn't change, or grow, or make different choices; the only thing he takes away from the spirit of the commune is how to commodify it and use it as a marketing tool.

>Trying this hard to fit in
The word has been synonymous with Sup Forums before those boards years were even popular with the new friends.

>Suicide doesn't fit his character at all.
I guess not, but I wanted a better and more impactful ending than, "Don finds peace among a bunch of hippies and makes a famous commercial out of it."

The one disagreement I have is your conclusion that this is the ONLY thing Don took away from the quasi-Esalen. Stephanie directly challenged his “forget this happened and move forward” mantra and he his an existential wall after that. His scene with Leonard wouldn't change his character outright, but it was a signal of some new breakthrough or… something… that Don was experiencing; the notion to face his own emotions. To heal. I agree that he also found the timely way to use the culture to his advantage at work, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. IMO

>The word has been synonymous with Sup Forums before those boards years were even popular with the new friends.
Normalfag has been. Not normie. Normie is some shit nufags made up since they're afraid of saying fag online. You're the outsider, dumb fuck.

I would have prefered the D.B. Cooper ending tbqh, in my head canon that's how the show goes on and ends.

>The bow is only tidy when our view from the "rest of the story" is limited right up to that cheerful upturn.
yeah true

>US doesn't have an authentic culture because of its size, so no country does
Wow, I can now somewhat sympathize with those obsessed Yuropoors who bitch about Americans all the time, because that was a strikingly stupid argument.

But did you try Yoga though?

Good thing nobody gives a fuck about your head cannon.

Seems like a lot of people ITT either didn't watch the show and/or didn't understand what was happening because holy shit are they wrong about everything.

Yeah, exactly. The kind of reality pitched in adverts has nothing to do with the lived experience of Americans, but the problem is that people buy into the idea of America as sold by government propaganda, corporations, and the media. I'm not saying capitalism is evil or the American government is fascist, because they aren't. I'm just saying that, ultimately, being American isn't about hand-on-heart renditions of the national anthem, getting your groceries from the mom'n'pop store, home-made meatloaf and sweet apple pie, drinking an ice cold sasparilla down at the drug store, driving your Chevy to work, playing catch with your son and taking your daughter to the prom. It's much more diverse and complicated than that. There's no such thing as an authentic national culture in America because how could there be? Yet that's exactly what the ad execs in Mad Men are trying to sell. A lifestyle, a way of living.

Autism

You should look at the clock and realize how much time has passed, because that word has been around even longer. Nothing I said was untrue.

You don't belong here, tourist.

Fair enough, I hear you. I agree, actually. He's definitely experienced something authentic at the commune - in my interpretation, though, it's going to be a short-lived catharsis/ epiphany, giving that he returns to advertising. How sincere can a revelation about an alternative way of being be, if his next step is to return to New York and turn it into an advert for a diabetes-inducing brand of soda?

> Last season
> Literally every episode has a Peggy B plot
> Ends as easily and expectedly as possible

>normie has been around longer than normalfag
You wanna know how I know that you're new?

It's interesting that his only authentic experience and cathartic experience is found in pre-packaged, commercial and hedonist faux-spirituality.

Excuse me, I give a fuck. Imagine the damage he could cause with a cannon for a head