Why is it that cats in western animation are so often portrayed as villainous, sinister, or just plain untrustworthy...

Why is it that cats in western animation are so often portrayed as villainous, sinister, or just plain untrustworthy? Why is the west so distrustful of cats when that's so infrequently the case in other cultures?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NZ728Xrbs1k
youtube.com/watch?v=fzZVOGJiZXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cats are aloof, inscrutable, and often ill-tempered
this makes them a handful to keep as a pet, which leads to them to being seen as if not evil, then jerks

in egypt, cats are worshipped, because they saw the connection between cats and mice populations going down

More importantly, why is it that almost every cat character (especially ones from the golden age of animation) gets shit on by everything around them? It makes no sense.

Cats are shit animals.

OP, have you ever owned a cat?

Because a bunch of animators had dogs. They aren't "the west".

No they aren't. They're doing their job of ridding mice from your household.

I don't have mice though.

You can thank cats for that

fuck you

Had cats all my life. Never had one shitty enough to literally name after satan.

Tom was pretty fucking evil to Jerry though

Cats are assholes bro

Cats are only assholes to people who deserve it.

Jerry was a dickhead most of the time

fuck off, Randy.

Fuck off

>Randy bobandy is a catfag
get cancer.

I own two. I love them dearly but they are fucking dreadful little shits.

You give back that man's pepe's

post them you fucking faggot

Cats destroy ecosystems. Go to countries where stray cats are around - no other mammal lives in the city, the bird diversity is non-existant.

Then go to a place like Helsinki or Copenhagen, where cats are always house animals and are not let out to wander. You can see squirrels, rabbits, moles, different type of water birds. Cats are a bane; they kill things for the sake of killings things. Cats are not "independent personalities", they are just too stupid to be trained.

I'm honestly trying to think of at least one instance in western cartoons a cat has been portrayed as an out and out good guy, and the only ones I can come up with are Heathcliff and Top Cat. And even then, they were both portrayed as occasionally bad, due to Top Cat being a thief and Heathcliff being an occasional bully.

The world's most successful predator. Really impressive.

I don't remember Tom ever being portrayed as particularly villainous. Tom an Jerry were equally shitty to each other. MC Skat Kat was pretty evil though.

>MC Skat Kat was pretty evil though.
For what, thirsting after Paula Abdul? She was pretty hot in the 80's.

But I'm not

Fuck off Randy

actually, cats almost always go about in small groups to hunt something

they mostly do fuckall when alone

report and ignore Randy Bobandy

Who was in the wrong here?

The juden AKA The Mice AKA THE PESTS

Never trust a cat.

t. art (((spiegleman)))

>Tom an Jerry were equally shitty to each other.
>equally

C'est la guerre. lol

Rock-a-doodle but that was a human turned into a cat, aristocats, Oliver and company, sagwa I think, Bolt.

Because it's all true.

Also Banjo the woodpile cat, in this one dogs are mean but the cats are nice.

With that artstyle, I honestly forget these characters are supposed to be cats.

This is amusing and sad.
The artist can't win arguments, so he draws a comic where he can.
The artist has, at best, an even chance of winning a fight with a parrot (most likely lower) so he draws a comic where he's ripped and healthy.

It's okay to make things like these. It can help you vent, which is healthy.
But don't subject other people to them.

The Chinese (yes, chinese for real) got it right.

Hei Mao is a badass detective cats and the mice are thieving, cowardly and murderous assholes he constantly hunts down to make the world a better place to live.

>real science isn't an argument
You voted for Hillary didn't you?

Fight!
Fight!
FIGHT!

kill yourself.

No, I voted for Trump like Putin and the Macedonians high schoolers on facebook told me to.

According to wikipedia, the journal it cites, Medical Hypotheses, "was originally intended as a forum for unconventional ideas without the traditional filter of scientific peer review."
So forgive me for being a bit skeptical of any statistics it provides.

I'd say its because no matter how cute they can be..Our family has three fucking cats who we love..They are stone blooded killers.Once our tabby bite the spine of a mouse which one of us tried saving before noticing she had paralysed its legs by doing that and it could only try dragging them around. We let her out to finish the job as she'd fucked it up too badly for it to live. Maybe historically stuff like witchcraft had an influence as we saw them as familars whereas many non-euro or american places didnt.

The fact that Hypotheses is in the name means that everything that websites suggest is an idea and not proven. It's not even a theory

That actually makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

I'm grateful that my cat is yet to bring a dead animal home, yet I also find it weird. Suspect that something is wrong with her

She doesn't even like boxes

Theyre better than dogs

Sylvester and Tom were the GOATs of their shows

Dogs do the same thing, and are more enjoyable to be around.

Their kill rate is still staggering compared to pack animals like lions.

when most of your kill count consists on small vermin, there really isn't much to compare to

well probably because CATS ARE FUCKING CREEPY

Post 'em now you faggof

swat cats

If dubs the faggof posts his pictures.

Honestly finding shrew guts and heads like mini scenes from GOT arent much fun.

she probably keep a secret box filled with little corpses hidden from you

Shut up Juden

Dogs are boring though.

Why are people such oversensitive pussies these days?

You just know that the kind of slapstick like OP's picture would never make it past today's censors.

Must it always be a link.
Not doubting the source, but proper citation gives far greater credibility

Harvard, APA or anything.

If you've got to link it, just drop the author, year, link and timestamp at the least

Cats don't deserve pain.

Let me phrase this in a way anyone can understand.

Cats are jerks.

Nah

I'm a dog person, but I have a special place in my heart for Felix.

fluffy pony

the edge

>being a dog person
kys my man

>ecosystems
>city
Wait a sec, are u trying to trick me again?

Never got the "Cats are evil" thing. My family has had cats my entire life, and the worst thing they do is maybe knock something over once in a blue moon. Otherwise they're sweet as can be. Other peoples' cats I've met seem similarly nice, or are shy and hide so I can't touch them.

On the whole, cats have always been nice in my book. Meanwhile I've met approximately 2 dogs that I don't want to throat punch. Big or small, they're all bastards.

On the subject of Tom & Jerry: Jerry is an intruder, and is often shown stealing food and wrecking shit in Tom's owner's house. On top of the fact that mice are a cat's natural prey, Jerry is a thieving little faggot who clearly needs his head bitten clean off.

They're not as good at it, are messier, and are a greater danger to people than they are to mice. That's why there are barn cats but no barn dogs allowed to roam around.

Basically, amerikkkan animators happened to be dog people, so cats are evil.

Take a look at russian animation, where cats are curious and nice:

youtube.com/watch?v=NZ728Xrbs1k

youtube.com/watch?v=fzZVOGJiZXg

Garfield?

SWAT Kats

Nice meme. Try owning a cat since it was a kitten, they're the most adorable things ever.
t. Someone with 8 cats

ok give (You)s if you agree that Jerry is an asshole

>Why is it that cats in western animation are so often portrayed as villainous, sinister, or just plain untrustworthy?
Because they are

>Dogs are boring
Said the cat person.
lmao

I get the impression that female cats are much more likely to be portrayed in a favorable light than male cats.

They're also more likely to be given team ups with dog friends.

I kinda want to see more male cats in dog team ups.

One of my favorite cats in such a role is Sargent Tibbs from 101 Dalmations.

Noble as fuck.

(You)

Check and check

>too stupid to be trained
I dunno. There is a cat circus here in Russia. Impressive stuff.

Aristocats.

What planet are you from where dogs are boring?

Who's your favourite cat character, Sup Forums?