Guardians of Ga'Hoole

Just watched this for the first time. I hate mid-teens me didn't go see it in theatres.

Did Sup Forums ever discuss this film? I know it apparently didn't sell well enough to get a sequel (but it's a book movie so you can just go read the rest of the story anyway).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FdWrVmy8fZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't remember much about it. But I do remember liking it.
And I've never really heard anyone talk about that film at all.

Zack Snyder's best work

I don't recall it getting much advertising short of a promotional tie-in on Neopets. It was along the lines of Warriors in terms of popular books, I'd imagine.

It was released in September and came last in line after a pretty full summer of kids films with talking animals (Including the reasonable enough to turn people off from seeing another one that year Alpha and Omega a week prior).

And it had to compete for advertisement space between a then extremely hyped Tron: Legacy and an even more hyped Deathly Hollows.

>Zack Snyder

Holy fuck you weren't even joking. And I actually would consider this the best thing in his filmography holy shit.

Loved it, but I literally only went to watch it because I accidentally got into the wrong movie theater and that was the only thing that wasn't 2 hours away to watch.

The books were better

There's something sinister about this movie. It traps people and doesn't let them go.

I can imagine; I think the writers for Warriors don't even want a film adaptation.

Kek, at least it turned out okay.

I remember this got a video game because that was back in the day when video game movie tie-ins were still a thing. I wonder how it was.

Also, am I understanding that picture right? Some harmless-looking owl is "The Evil Queen"?

Beautiful fucking animation, some of the best 3D art in my opinion
It's really too bad the story is just kinda meh and some of the characters arent fleshed out

Never read the books but knew someone who did and they said it wasnt a faithful adaptation in the slightest so that probably turned original book fans it could have had away on top of just quietly coming out to the rest of us.

That said, I managed to see it in theaters and it was pretty seller looking on the big screen, and I remember being very hyped about potential sequels, its a shame they will never happen.

generic hero's journey animated feature #137

In the books she's basically an owl nazi who gets her kid forcibly aborted during a battle and later gains dark magic.

>harmless-looking owl
Nigger have you ever seen a pissed off barn owl?
youtube.com/watch?v=FdWrVmy8fZ4
They are horrifying monsters when they want to be

The books were great. Post-apocalyptic, shitloads of violence (owls tearing each others faces off with flaming swords).
Generally good stuff.

This sounds awesome. Kind of like Redwall then, but just owls instead of a whole menagerie?

Like a mix of Redwall, Watership Down, and what you'd expect from YA fantasy. But violent as shit.

Because there aren't recordbreakers that are exactly this?

>In the books she's basically an owl nazi who gets her kid forcibly aborted during a battle and later gains dark magic.

"Generic" is the go-to word of assholes. It basically means "I can't come up with any real criticism of this thing so I'll describe it really vaguely and hope nobody disputes my opinion."

The more I think about what supposedly happens int he books, the more I think the film was doomed to fail. A faithful adaptation would've been a fucking R rated film for the violence alone.

You don't have to pretend you understand words on the internet you know, you can just look them up.

You don't have to get mad every time someone rightfully calls you out on being an idiot.

That's the mistake a lot of adaptations make, I think. They try to appeal to a broader audience in a way that can only butcher the source material, because apparently certain types of stories can *ONLY* be for kids.

Geoffrey Rush was pretty solid here with his voice work.

I remember my orthodontist playing it on the tv they had in there

it didn't make the process of getting braces tightened any more fun

just because you can't twist owl's neck

The trailer was amazing, but it wrote a check that the film couldn't possibly cash.

God I loved those books. I ought to read them again sometime. Were the dire wolf spin-offs any good?

So Lord of the Rings too, thanks to the Ember of Hoole