If you're so great at writing Sup Forums, then how would you make a successful Avatar Series 3...

If you're so great at writing Sup Forums, then how would you make a successful Avatar Series 3? Even for all of Brykes failures, you still wouldn't be able to top TLoK. Tell me how you'd write the first season of the new series, and how you'd be able to become critically acclaimed by real critics and not Salon or the Mary Sue.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.fanfiction.net/s/10953682/1/Avatar-Synergy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dont you know real critics are shills paid by [insert company here]

I don't claim to be a better writer than either of the creators, but I'd definitely add more foreshadowing to the plot. Book 1 had very little of it - most of Amon's backstory was shoved into the last episodes. I'd also plan out the whole show in advance. ATLA wasn't guaranteed to get all the episodes it did. If it was cancelled, it would've ended on The Blue Spirit, and that's a good episode in its own right.

You need to get higher than an 8.6 on IMDB, and not lose your rating two seasons in. 3.5 million viewers on first season finale.

Make it Mononoke-hime.

Humans exploit spirits to power their machines. Which angers/weakens spirits and is slowly killing nature.

A young, naive Avatar is revolted by this and tries to fight it by exposing the spirits-torturing industrialists.

But turns out, the public at large is fine with using spirits as fuel for transportation, comfort and entertainment.

So the Avatar turns misanthropic. He completely sides with spirits and goes "fuck humanity". He wages a war of nature and spirit vs. man and machine. He allies himself with "evil" spirits. And at the cost of basically destroying civilization, he wins. The balance is restored to what it was before Avatar Won.

So what happens now?

You'll have to wait for the second season to find out!

See? This isn't worse than LoK.

Future Trunks shows up and gives Aang medication for his life-energy drain problem. Aang lives to a 130 years old and Korra never becomes the Avatar. We get to see how the Gaang deals with the Red Lotus, Vaatu, the Equalists etc.
Also Zuko fucks Suki.

Disgusting. The avatar is shown to be more forgetful of how powerful spirits really are. If a long lineage of avatars shows them not siding with the spirits as much, what makes you think this avatar will be a hippy?

forgot my pic, forgot to spellcheck. oh well. it's still better than Legend of Korra.

>gives Aang medication for his life-energy drain problem.
Why the fuck didn't he ask the Lion Turtle, he gets one wish every year.

>If a long lineage of avatars shows them not siding with the spirits as much, what makes you think this avatar will be a hippy?
Because the new technology humans use has thrown the balance off.
Humans are now dominating Spirits the way Spirits used to dominate them.
And so, just like Wan had to side with humans to create harmony, Nav (our new avatar) as to side with the Spirits.

Maybe if it was the vines, and that threw the other spirits into anger. I just couldn't really see spirits being utilized for energy and it being seen as humane. I mean who would make the technology, Varrick? You know for sure Korra and anyone associated with her would be against it, so how would it become the norm if all the airbenders are anti-spirit-energy, and all of Korras friends and associates are against it?

We're in the future. This is no longer steampunk, this is modern. And in the modern world humans exploit natural resources and animals in a completely sociopathic way. Humans are so removed from nature and the spiritual world that they just don't give a fuck, they just want their comfy lifestyle to continue. This is topical as fuck yo.

Nah. The fact that you're basing it to be topical makes me think that you can't write very well. If it's modern for another reason, whatever. But because you want to make it a political or social point (topical), it disgusts me. If you think Korra and her gang would let this shit fly or you think the meaner spirits would let this go down, you're not one to look at the bigger picture.

>how you'd be able to become critically acclaimed
Just put lesbians at it.

>he gets one wish every year.
Wut? When do we learn that? I thought he just had given him energy bending, since this is the Lion Turtle's speciality.

Make Korra a narcissistic slut. She's supposed to be reminescent of a child actor who grew up in fame and privilege but sheltered. Let's commit to that. Make her the Paris Hilton of Avatars. Make her disregard her duty and live a life of debauchery, and show how this throws everything into unbalance. While the Equalists are taking power have her make the first sextape in history with Varrick's cameras.

>Zuko fucks Suki
Everything you said, except that.

>art looking to the real world for inspiration and addressing real issues is disgusting
that's a valid aesthetic I guess but that's not what ATLA is about. and certainly this would prevent you from enjoying LOK.

Art looking to be topic points and soapbox standing is obnoxious. Plain and simple. If you can do it in a more subtle and organic fashion then it's fine, but because you look instantly to being topical it shows you're probably not a good writer. The idea sounds very bad as no one would let it go in Korras circle, and the bigger spirits wouldn't put up with it for it to continue into the next cycle. Find a way to make it happen organically.

>how would you make a successful Avatar Series 3
- Korra dies 1 year after the show by some stupid shit like falling from the stairs
- new avatar have to deal with all the bullshit she caused like the chaos in the Earth nation, and the spirits
- he is kinda competent, doesn't manage to fix everything, but can mediate the situations very well; basically a natural born diplomat
- Korra gives shit for everything he does, and generally gives bad advices
- first time he ever follows her advice WW3 starts
- he still keeps her around, but only to know what he shouldn't do

In this future series Korra is long dead. The technology has advanced to the point where powerful spirits are used as energy sources, with the only ones still fighting being the "evil" spirits. The point of the story is not "technology is evulz" or "nature stronk" it's just a reflection of our current problems with balancing modernity and preservation of the ecosystems we depend on. It asks questions, it doesn't provide answers. The choice of Nav (new Avatar) to side with the spirits is not necessarily presented as "the right one", just an extreme reaction to an extreme situation.

And finally I never said I was a good writer. I'm not a writer at all. I just took up the challenge and outlining a synopsis for a new series set in the Avatar universe.

You still have major plotholes from the big spirits letting them get drained in the first place. The fact that future successions of bloodlines from Korra and her friends would not stop this? Korra dies and instantly a new avatar is born. Don't write plotholes and then expect me to not point them out fag. Fill the plotholes in.

Are those legitimate questions you have or are you just trying to be contrarian?

The big spirits getting drained==>future technology is able to do it. Just like we can drain oil from under ice or split atoms to make huge amounts of energy.
Avatars not stopping this==>it happened fast, just like in our world, while the Avatars were busy preventing world wars.
This is set a few Avatar cycles after Korra.

Good job not specifying this is way after Korra derpo. These are also legitimate questions, you have major plotholes that you have not yet filled. However because it's a few avatar cycles after, then it really doesn't make a difference, because we're talking about the third series.

Would make it a comfy trip road adventure
Would avoid any kind of romance like the plague.
IF i were to add it, it would be in a subtle way

Better than I could come up with user. I'd give it a watch.

>The choice of Nav (new Avatar) to side with the spirits is not necessarily presented as "the right one"
It would probably be presented as a retarded one, as spirits are douchebags.

Thanks! It could turn out much worse than LoK due to poor execution. I'm trying to find a decent backstory for the new protag but it's pretty hard. Any ideas welcomed.

I think have the previous Avatar be from the Fire Nation during a time of war where the 3 other powers ganged up on them could work. So she (the Avatar) helped her Nation by weaponizing Spirits. She's responsible for the current exploitation of Spirits in a way, but she only did it in a time of extreme duress.

Nav, the new Avatar, is a pacifists raised by the Air Nomads. They taught him to be very close to the spirit world and to eschew modern comforts. He's basically ascetic, very removed from normal city life.

Not if you were raised to like and respect them with your cute animal companion being a spirit. And not if you discover that the reason the Spirit World is emptying out is because those damnable humans are using them to power their shitty televisions.

>making a spirit his only friend
decent idea. he has to make new friends during his adventures tho

>Not if you were raised to like and respect them
Oh, while ignoring that they fuck with people, like, every week or so?

>And not if you discover that the reason the Spirit World is emptying out is because those damnable humans are using them to power their shitty televisions
1- That's no different than eating meat
2- spirits were the ones invading and killing in the human world in the first place

Wouldn't it be 230 years?

Yeah. Who could make a good friend to our misanthropic monk?

Well yes that's the counterargument to Nav's position. But he's supposed to be right, as he's gonna find out in season 2.
One of the questions of the series is "what is true harmony? what is the good balance? what is man's rightful place in the world?"

i forgot you cant criticize something without being an expert in the relevant field

>what is true harmony
spirits not fucking with humans. That is not even a good question. As you said, spirits are just animals.

>The Earth has been thrown out of balance: literally. Some cosmic force has altered the orbit of the Earth, causing it to fluctuate between summers that nearly dry out the ocean and winters that cover the entire world in feet of snow. Society has completely broken down, the spirit wilds are everywhere, and the lion turtles help protect what humans are left in the physical world.

I have a lot more of this.

Also:
>Ten thousand years after Avatar Korra rescued Raava and defeated Unnavaatu, Vaatu has been reborn. Light cannot exist without the dark. In the process of his escape, he and Raava fought over the mind and spirit of one unlucky Avatar, who went insane from the conflict, massacring an untold number of people before his rampage ended. Now, the Avatar is despised; the current one doesn't want to be the Avatar at all. Yet, she must master all four elements and bring balance to the world, because Vaatu is free and he won't stop until he plunges humanity into ten thousand years of darkness.

I don't have anything about that really, except that it takes place in an interplanetary setting and really explores the cosmic energy aspect of bending.

a bit 2edgy4me but not bad

Shouldn't Korra be Pegasus?

>has access to all cards, can create cards, and can predict what card the opponent have perfectly
>still loses

Retcon Korra and make it a prequel and blatantly copy the story of the three kingdoms.

I think the problem he's trying to communicate is that all prior continuity, which the audience goes into a sequel being already aware of, has already established that spirits are unlikable fucks.

So right away from episode 1, before we've even seen your new Avatar has a friendly relationship with spirits and thinks of them as a good thing, the viewer is not onboard with that premise. You have your work cut out for you trying to convince them to like the spirits.

If it makes you feel any better, there's no real violence between humans. It's just a crazy setting. Like, it goes off the rails a lot harder than a worse version of Westeros. I mean, TLAB's setting is pretty goddamn edgy too. The second thing is kinda edgy yeah, but it was just a random idea I jotted down. Since Korra found Raava in Unnavaatu, I figured it was a logical leap.

Dunno, didn't make it.

>not focus so much on shipping BS
>actually have the lesbians kiss at the end
There, fixed.

>indetermanent amount of time after TLoK
>some Podunk earth bender out in the boonies is trying to make a living digging up ore and what not with some of his friends
>POMF! The avatar line that of disconnected from Korra latches onto him for some reason
>he now has the bending knowledge of all four elements
>but he can still only earth bend and as such bends earth in ways akin to the other elements (water/lava, air/dust, fire/fuck if I know maybe static electricity or something?
>all this knowledge is too much for him to handle and starts effecting his health and mental state (blacking out, taking on the personalities of past avatars, etc)
>him and his friends set out on an adventure to get rid of the connection by finding the newest Avatar
>who is a baby

Only reason I can think of why this would work is because of Vaatu pulling Raava to him instead of the baby. Other than that your idea doesn't seem to have potential.

I'd put Studio Mir in charge of the writing

Do exhausted korean animators make good writers?

They definitely wouldn't make for worse!

Studio Mir, Aaron Ehasz, some of the writers from AtLA, and I think you could easily come up with a good series. Gather some crafted writers from various other parts and you've got fire.

I would just have a series where Korra and Asami fuck on screen for 24 minutes per episode.
In actuality, I think they really backed themselves into a corner by progressing tech as much as they have. The only thing I can think of is the Avatar is more or less obsolete. In a world with mecha, airplanes, and other assorted advancements, bending might just become a cultural relic, something preserved out of respect rather than practicality.

Eh, throw in some animal sidekicks and a Toph cameo and I'm sure it'd at least sell some plushies and t-shirts.

Have them invent fucking guns already.

Earthbending would be useful as fuck in a WW1-scenario. Advance trenches right up to the enemy in very little time, bury the enemy combatants alive, you name it.

Fire benders get to do their human flame thrower thing and burn people alive inside pill boxes.

Water continues doing the healing thing.

Air remains totally useless.

Don't forget Giancarlo Volpe

I'd watch that for a whole season.
But you'd have to introduce more characters for the second season. Who would be the guy in a threesome with Korra and Asami?

Korra is eskimo/native. Asami is asian. So if you're going to make the new character in that tradition of diversity.. Who better than a black male?

Bending still has uses in industry, firebenders basically create free energy, earth/metal benders would arguably make better stevedores than guys with cranes and forklifts because they're more flexible, waterbending probably has some kind of practical use in industry.

Wasn't there an early LoK episode where Mako has a job just jabbing fire into a boiler all day?

more muscley brown girls, less lesbians

Avatar takes place in an East inspired world, there are no Africans or Europeans, or even Middle Easterners. There was one Indian guy in AtLA.

Remember when we thought Bryke could do no wrong?

Okay, but why bend when I can just make a nuclear plant from spirit vines? Or in a more ethical choice, why bend when I can just make a electric plant using water as a natural way to power? In that sense, why can't I just use a shit ton of windmills and power my electricity through air? We're not in real life, we didn't start with coal and fossil fuels, the Avatar world would most likely be much more open to clean energy these ways. If anything, you could probably see people arguing to use spirit vines for a non renewable energy source. I could see a huge arc about the spirit swamp being cut down more to give humans huge power benefits. It'd be a non renewable source but would give ultimate powers for energy. Doesn't have to be in your face go green hippy shit, just that the spirits would inevitably get pissed or the like.

Don't remind me. I think it hurt Sup Forumss perspective on TLoK from the amount of hyping that occured for brown buttcheeks. Arrogant, overconfident brown buttcheeks where the protagonist learns to become humble through a harsh trial of life.

And now there's gonna be a black guy in Korra. And in Asami.

I liked it better when the worst entry on the ATLA franchise was the movie, that at least united the fandom.

In a world where bending is fading as a whole, the nations lose their cultures and identities and fall apart to infighting. The world becomes wildly split into dozens of city-states, with Zuko's line and the Fire Nation being the last to fall. The lack of bending encourages engineers to develop wartime tech, slow rate firearms being among them. The Avatar after Korra from the Earth Kingdom attempts to stop a battle between two growing city-states over a crumbled Ba Sing Se but is literally shot down after going rampant on the two armies in the avatar state.

With the Avatar dead in the avatar state, the avatar is seemingly not reincarnated. Over a decade later,a prince of the former Fire Nation from Zuko's fallen dynasty leaves his home to reach the far ends of the world in attempt to build a team of benders who kept their abilities and aims to bring balance back to the increasingly war torn world, inspired by the saga of his forefather Zuko and the original gaang.

Spread the seasons out by having the team of benders defeat the regional powers across the former nations, reestablishing the old traditions and governments. The series concludes with a showdown at the South Pole, whose tricked out armada tests the team of benders and pushes them to their limit. The fire prince is almost killed, when it is revealed he is the avatar reincarnate and is saved by the AS. The south pole is defeated and balance restored to the world.

The new avatar and his team travel the world again, spreading bending across it.
Also, the earth avatar's death in the AS gave it a soft reboot, restoring the past lives Korra lost and enitrely omitting her from the database

>people just stop bending for reasons
>stop acting like human beings and just start fighting

Why though?

I would watch that for sure. Any romance? how old are the protags?

Even if Korra and the Earth Avatar are deleted from the AS, how do the other avatars come back to the AS? It's flawed and I'm just assuming you're using it as a way to bring back all the past lives before Korra? Just trying to make sure I understand your process behind it.

Not him, but I'd think of it more like a Boxer Rebellion type thing. Benders are being marginalized and pushed aside as technology advances, so they try (and realistically, fail) to force things back to the way they were before.

Sorry, that post was getting stupid long I had to trim details.

>people just stop bending for reasons
technological advances take away the practical day to day uses of bending, and peacetime removes the combative edge of it. We already (unintentionally) saw this in Korra where bending was turned into a sport and instead of asian martial arts more often became more western elemental punching. This series takes place after the rest of Korra's life and an entire Earth Avatar, so its a change that happened gradually, that's why the fire prince is still able to find a small team of them hidden in the woodworks
>stop acting like human beings and just start fighting
Because the Avatar is gone, bending has been forgotten and the "''spiritual balance'''' woojoo has been fucked. Inevitably these city states want more power, and colonialism turns into conquests which turns into invasions.

>Any romance?
Enough, no where near the amount in Korra.
>old are the protags?
more diverse in age than the gaang of kids in ATLA, maybe the earth bender in the group is older, or the airbender can be and constantly spout spiritual shit. The fire prince would have to be young for his birth to line up with the death of the earth avatar

It's definitely flawed, that was just tongue and cheek because I still resent season 2 of korra more than ISIS. That's not really essential to the story. You can either omit or make up some spiritual shit about them never leaving in the first place or idk.

>reestablishing the old traditions and governments

What's the point of advancing civilization if the "good guys" are going to turn back the clock on everything?

They sound like the Samurai during the Boshin war, and honestly they ought to meet the same fate.

Korra's massive breasts.

are they really massive?

Who said it's a good idea? They do it to end growing side wars between the new territories. Doesn't have to be done cleanly. They do it because the avatar is missing and this is what he believes the avatar would do, even if its not the right thing.

I feel you. S2 pissed me off pretty hard. Maybe the connections are severed so it seems like they don't exist anymore but the Avatar has to journey into the spirit world and reconnect with each and every one of them. Just food for thought.

m.fanfiction.net/s/10953682/1/Avatar-Synergy

>If you're so great at writing Sup Forums, then how would you make a successful Avatar Series 3?

Hire better writers and make the show 2 seasons from the start.

>bending might just become a cultural relic, something preserved out of respect rather than practicality
Honestly I'd use this as the basis for a new Avatar, someone who's only bothering him or herself with spiritual matters because who needs firebenders when you have flamethrowers, who needs eartbenders when you have digging machines, who needs waterbenders when you have advanced icebreaker hull materials and medices, who needs airbenders when you have electric fans and zeppelins? In a world where technology overtakes abilities where the only real function for the avatar anymore is slapping down spirits they become a bookworm cut off from others, always studious and aiming to prove their spirit magic, but ultimately a diminished role. Then build on that as the new avatar makes some friends in a small out of the way town, a bender of each stripe and a non bender and they learn the power of friendship blah blah blah

Objectively, yes. Subjectively, no.

Or, make it so that the avatar, and benders in general, can use technology to enhance their abilities. So that way, instead of technology making bending obsolete, it makes it more useful (and dangerous) than ever.

>I liked it better when the worst entry on the ATLA franchise was the movie

It still is though. No matter how you feel about Korra the movie was still worse.

>New Earth Avatar
>Orphaned
>No one knows he's the Avatar
>Spirit portals unleashed too much spiritual mumbo-jumbo, causing Spirit Wilds again
>Spirit Wilds engulf almost all modern cities, Republic City is fucked, Zaofu remains closed, Ba Sing Se's outer walls barely keep out the Wilds
>More adventure than LoK; similar to ATLA
>Pretty much all modern technology lost to Wilds, resulting in using primitive technology again
>Avatar explores Republic City Ruins, wich is basically just a big jungle for spirits
>Avatar tries to find cause of Spirit Wilds spreading, helps people, helps spirits, being the Avatar
>meanwhile bad spirit and bad human team up and capture non-benders (easier to catch) like cattle to feed to the Spirit Wilds
>Spirit Wilds keep growing due to this
>Avatar teams up with a spirit to end this shit

This is way better than Korra

Its really not. A good followup would build off of the progress Korra made, instead of just shitting all over it.

Do we have to pick Earth? Or can we skip that one and go to the Fire one 80-120 years after Korra? And maybe have flashbacks to the Earth one as well?

How is it shitting all over it? Spirit Wilds were shown twice in Korra on 3 different seasons due to her choices. That is building off everything Korra from Seasons 2-4. It's only logical to follow through with it. And Republic City and Ba Sing Se were before Korra, so I don't know why you are butthurt about modern advancements being shut down. Besides, it's not like they were intriguing in the first place. It only worked in ATLA because they lived in a pretty much rural world, and introducing the Drill or the Airships were threatening. In LoK, the setting was already modern, who the fuck cares if they invented airplanes and giant mechs? They already had the means to deal with those inventions, but ATLA didn't.

Who said I was butthurt? You're idea just seems like a big step backwards. Undo all the progress that was made in that series, presumably because you didn't like it and want to toss aside all the advancements it made.

It would be a better idea to show the spirits becoming more cooperative and in some cases forming alliances with the humans, while also continuing to advance the technology, moving in a more sci-fi direction while still retaining the fantasy.

A good example of this would be the old PC RPG Arcanum, which focused on a divide between those who supported magic, those who supported technology, and those who wanted both.

Your idea is just "tear down everything the previous series did and start over".

There is a 0% chance that anything in this franchise will ever be nearly as good as Arcanum so thats a very unfair metric.

Fuck it, I will give it a shot.

>Set about 40 years into the future.
>Korra died fairly young like Aang
>New avatar emerges as an 16 year old earth bender from Nowhere, EK
>He is taken to Republic City to train with the white lotus and some of Korra's friends
>He is a fast learner and quickly masters earth bending, and becones fairly skilled at the others
>About a year or two into his training, a foreign nation attacks the south pole
>The world is thrown into panic at the thought of a new unknown nation attacking
>However we learn they have superior technology (not by a lot though) and no benders
>They are adamant about destroying the spirit portal for an unknown reason, and the Avatar is set to stop them
>These new peoples are demonized throughout the series, but their actual confrontations with the avatar are pretty normal
>Eventually he succeeds in stopping them, but is confrontes by a younger girl from that nation who was with the army
>She tells him about how their great spirits, whom they thought were only fading legends, appeared one day and started oppressing their nation
>The end of the first book is the avatar and this girl traveling to her land to see for himself.
>The next three books are about him learning about the new land and their terrible spirits, coming home and being confronted by various spirit-human conflicts throughout the nations, and finally agreeing to close the spirit portals
>Though he closes the portals, he leaves holes throughout the world.so that small and non-dangerous spirits can enter and exit freely, but the powerful ones are locked away or only able to maintain their existance in small areas.
>Bonus Halloween episode in Book 3 about a village of emotionless people terrorized by Koh

The whole point is saying that Korra wasn't nessisarily wrong, but that she didn't do it exactly right. Not all spirits are bad, but the bad ones are powerful and dangerous, and you need to keep them in check.

Just end season 2 like Berserk ended the Golden Years and begin season 3 like the Black Swordsman arc.

Denounce TLOK and the comics as spin off series not worthy of remembering. After that get Aaron Ehasz along with some other writers from ATLA and just let them do whatever they want with the series.

Gross.

Yeah. Where's my Zuko x Suki OTP?

>Korra dies 1 year after the show by some stupid shit like falling from the stairs

I'd give it an Emmy

Do a third series many years later with a new avatar. But it turns out due to some magical fuckery Korra is now immortal and will coexist alongside all future avatars. She'll be the mentor and will teach the new protagonist what they need to know.

But she will also go full on Goku and steal the spotlight from the new hero by beating the bad guy at the end. Korra will become head of the water tribe (both) and the new protag will be known as the guy that helped her.

This would be worth it just to see the shitstorm reaction on the internet.

I'd watch this. It reads kind of like "Zaheer was right" the show though.

But user.. Zaheer WAS right.

Also no 'cause the second season explores all the ways humanity is now fucked.

Literally the same but with team avatar consisting of 4 females

So a magical girl show.

The biggest problem with LoK is it was a mini adapted to full series. If you know you have all that room from the start you can do a really good story. I think you actually start with the Red Lotus, develop them and have fear of bending terrorists spawn an anti-bending movement under Amon, while Kuvira plots to use the instability to seize control.

Pretty good read for a fanfic, but it doesn't really follow up on anything Korra did. Hardly feels like its in the same continuity.

does LoK feel like a direct continuation of Aang's actions?

I wonder how Over The Garden Wall would have gone if they had decided to do three more seasons after wrapping things up in season 1?

Despite this, I thought Korra was still decent, even if it was obvious they didn't have a long term plan. If they did, maybe they wouldn't have gone the "one villain per season" route. Which I actually like because it helped differentiate it from The Last Airbender.

Aang using the energy bending played heavily into Legend of Korra, at least the first season.

Sort of. LoK showed how the end of the FN war, the invention of metalbending, the decline of the Southern Water Tribe, etc, all shaped the world. This story has everything coming out of nowhere. Energybenders, bender supremacists, new police squads in the North -pretty much the only thing carrying over is that the Earth Kingdom has a slightly different government.