YUGI LOST A CARD GAME!?

>YUGI LOST A CARD GAME!?

I felt like LK should have made this scene a lot more angry and a lot less whiny on Kaiba's side, but hey, I'll take it. Pretty okay episode overall I guess. Just seems like a lot of wasted potential at first watch with Pharaoh coming down so hard and the aforementioned Kaiba thing.

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series thread? Don't tell me you guys actually don't consider a series made by a British amateur for a Western audience Sup Forums material just because he uses Sup Forums source material.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2j7Xu_yf5VY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ATTENTION DUELISTS!

I can dig this thread

Green hair

How many more seasons are after this one?

1 more, then we get to the kaiba championship and the egypt trip

I remeber this show being pretty solid, if kind of heavy on the gay jokes.
Has it gone downhill yet?
I stopped watching right before Battle City kicked off for real.

It's had ups and downs. I think it's matured a lot.

Editing has gotten better.

can can never get into the abridge series, it's not that Yugioh or DBZ abridged are bad, it's just not my thing.
i'd be more interested if this thread was about kaiba basically being batman

It was supposed to be sexual tension buildup, cutting the whining and making it more angry wouldn't have helped the relationship breakup joke

Personally I think it was a pretty on the ball episode, and I can never really find it in myself to stick with Yugioh abridged

Kaiba wishes he was Batman.
Batman actually wins most of the time.

So does littlekuriboh still do all the voices?
Cause there's like 50 characters now and if he's done them all THATS SOME HELLA RANGE.

Most of them. He does have guests doing other voices sometimes, but usually just for minor characters.

No he does a few but most of them have other people as voice actors. His range is pretty solid anyway though.

I liked it in the beginning, but by the time Noah's arc concluded, the show lost it's charm for whatever reason. Editing is very good however.

Is the creator still trying to scape from the russian mafia?

The humor has gotten less observational and more reliant on running gags. The Noah arc made that extreme clear, since everything happening during those episodes is batshit insane, but he opts to run 4kids jokes into the ground instead of making fun of how stupid the plot is.

>Batman actually wins most of the time.
Well yeah, you're right, kaiba sure has been in a losing streak from yugi, and has only won once by threatning suicide if correct. including losing to Pegasus and maybe some others.
but still kaiba's won plenty of duels.

i meant more as in kaiba has so rich that he literally has an aircraft of the think he's obssessed with, just like batman.

only tangentially related but i hope db kai abridged 3 happens soon

>Grow up never watching YGO
>People always made fun of me because I "have Kaiba's voice" and I "talk like him all the time"
>Watched the Abridged series
>Talk normally but quote Kaiba
>People flip shit all the time

Show's declined a bit like any other parody series though. They rely heavily on refrences and running gags now.

lets not forget a stadium

Is that real card? Isn't it little... OP?

or a train

Remember Flute of Summoning Dragon?

No. The power creep is insane.

yeah it's real, but there's plenty of other cards the revolve around blue eyes that way better than that

Haha.

No.

Just about to post that

YuGiOh gives no fucks about powercreep

He actually released a new episode this month.
youtube.com/watch?v=2j7Xu_yf5VY

Dimly, I'm afraid.
Ah, thanks. I played it just a little before jumping on Vs System and WoW.

Yeah I remember littlekuriboh making fun of himself about how much he references memes and has them sing a popsong.

You know all of those shitty "why would anyone EVER use these?" monsters from the first few Yu-gi-oh sets (like the level 5 monsters with 1700 attack)? In Japan, those were from earlier sets and were somewhat balanced at release. That's how bad Yu-gi-oh's power creep is.

Jesus Christ this card.

Yeah, I know. I wondered when I was playing Yugioh vidya why would they add it in game, it's so useless. Worse Ryder was cooler than most of 5 star monsters.

Ehhh I can see this card easily getting worked around. Black Hole, Jars, multiple attack monsters that destroy an additional monster during the damage step, Man-Eater Bug (He destroys after he gets attacked during the DAMAGE STEP)

hate that shit, my friend bullshitted me with those so hard. Makes the whole match a boring waiting game

Yeah, but properly played, you activate the effect yourself with an equip card, and then synchro or XYZ something stupid.

Matt?

What I dislike about Yugioh is that initially it was a story about a kid who became a gambling Pharaoh. He plays games with his enemies and if they lose they die of brutal deaths or get tortured. Then he plays the card game in the second volume. Now Yugioh is all about cardgames and generic characters playing duel monsters.

sometime i wish there was more of season 0

The death game stuff was already starting to run out of steam when they switched to card games. I doubt it would even have a scanlation if that happened.

The manga's being posted on Sup Forums.

god joey was a badass

Anyone else think his Eva abridged episode is the funniest shit ever? Now I want a full series but I don't know if there's a good one.

Considering YGOAS Kaiba himself hates sex jokes, I just don't know if that was really the way to go. I mean, I get it, but ever since he lost and stuff, I feel like LK made it so that his obsession drove him insane. So whereas Kaiba was going "I bet this is Yugi, telling me that I actually won Battle City, and he owes me, like, all of his trading cards!" now we got a half-assed freakout rooted in gay shit. There was a joke to be made about how the fact that Yugi lost to someone who wasn't Kaiba freaked him out more because he considered himself more of a failure, rather than being offended that Yugi lost to someone else.

That said, the freakout was on the ball. Just the follow-up wasn't too swell, I thought.

They really toned that down in the Season 0 anime, compared to the manga. But yeah, it totally became a money grab. I think YGO is pretty shit except for the fact that it's so ridiculously over-the-top about children's trading card game. Millennium Game was a pretty dope manga, though.

Did he do one? I know someone did four episodes covering the first two remake movies. It was okay.

If you trigger her she calls out her dragon.

I liked Dartz hair better when it was just randomly a different colour every time the camera changed shot.

The fading in and out style isn't funny, just seems like a random mystical thing.

>"The cult of Oral Costco is hardcore!"
That got me to lose my shit

He gave some of the female voices to actual females. Mai got an actual woman voicing her now but he hasn't given up Tea though.

That scene was extremely in stupid regardless. He did it fine.

I can't comprehend this opinion. The character development is solid throughout and there's actual themes, which was (and still is) rare for similar Jump stories. People thought the card games were cool (superficially), which is why it got expanded, but complaining about the writing somehow getting worse after it was introduced is literally the same superficiality.

this doesn't bother me so much as perplex me. Did the writers plan from the start to make it about card games and just decided to ease into it? Did they just sort of wing it midway through writing it and double down on the card games? Was there a legitimate demand back then for a card game with generic monsters and such?

And of course.

That, along with his near-unintelligible accent, is a reference to the villain from Perfect Hair Forever.

Lurk more, m8.

I'm going to tell you a secret about Jump manga authors: Half of the time, they just make shit up without even thinking about what's going to happen in the next chapter. This isn't a funny exaggeration. A lot of them just wing it from week to week. Sure, they usually have some vague idea of how an arc will end, but a LOT of them will throw in "foreshadowing" without having any damn idea what the payoff will be. Then, if they write themselves into a corner some week, they can go "oh yeah. It's a good thing I foreshadowed that one of the characters had a secret item with them," then decide that the secret item happens to be exactly what they need. (this is also a big reason that there's a lot of "don't use THAT technique"-type lines)

The Yu-gi-oh writer just saw that the card game chapter got a good response, and he liked designing monsters, so he brought Kaiba back, then later decided it was easier to turn it into a card game manga than trying to come up with new shadow games every week.

One of the earliest "battle manga", Kinnikuman (Ultimate Muscle's prequel), happened in a similar way. It was a silly superhero series and the authors did a silly wrestling chapter. It got a good response, so they did a wrestling arc. That also got a good response, so they turned the whole thing into "superheros wrestling". (which, by the way, is the reason "shonen battle manga" became synonymous with "fighting tournament arc")

>Other than TFS, LK is the only one that still abridges on a regular basis
Man, that weird. It's just like the online review critics craze that just kind of sorta died out suddenly. RLM is the channel that I watch now. I used to be subscribed to 10 Abridged channels, now only TFS and LK is left. This genre is dying faster than the Spoony Experiment.

I think the card game and Kaiba were initially just meant to be game-of-the-week shenanigans, just like hundreds of other season 0 stuff. Then later the writer decided to bring back Kaiba as the main villain in that huge Death-T story-arc so of course Kaiba needed to play Duel Monster against both Grandpa and Yugi as part of his revenge. In order for the story to work he had to rip apart Grandpa's Blue Eyes and show off his own three dragons. Then Duelist Kingdom happened and there was this huge plot about Kaiba and Mokuba gaining redemption, so of course duel monsters had to be a large part of the story as well, and from there I figure it just sort of stuck.

It was specifically because the card game proved to be inexplicably popular from what I recall in one of the interviews. The amount of interest in just what that card game was made a surge in fanmail which made the series shift gears as a whole.

>Fan translations
eh

Also keep in mind that the card game stuff was only actually two story arcs in the manga, they just happened to be the longest arcs in it.

The Viz translation is fucking horrid.

The translation isn't bad. The added lines are awful, though.
>This is the cross I have to bear ... the cross of collectible card game defeat!
I read an interview last year where the editor confessed he did a bad job with it.

Takahashi is actually a great writer who had a plan from the beginning, though. The fact that he used the card game to tell the story is inconsequential, though Kaiba's breakout popularity was definitely something he wrote around once Duelist Kingdom started.

>LK didn't model every member of Dartz's gang after Coiffio's crew