The VVVVVVVVVitch

What a tragic heap of wasted potential. If the whole movie were on par with the first 15 minutes, it'd be one of the greatest horror films ever made. The concept of literally translating Puritan folklore into a horror film is marvelous and the first scene with the witch is absolutely perfect (the old legends go that the witch will steal your child and grind it up into a flying ointment? Fucking show it) but when the movie abandons that concept in favor of "woah spooky weird shit because it's a horror movie lmao" it really goes downhill. I highly doubt that any actual folklore included "and some kid coughs an apple out of his mouth and there are spooky twins that talk to a goat that turns into Johnny Depp"

They should have laid out strict rules and adhered to them instead of going down the "wacky stuff happens because paranormal" route that so reliably ruins horror movies

Also the scene where the son gets seduced was so poorly executed and cliche I actually laughed

>it's a 'OPs a fucking pleb' episode

>wacky stuff happens because paranormal
But it's purposely ambiguous if it's paranormal or not
For instance, the rot on the corn is ergot, a hallucinogenic fungus

>But it's purposely ambiguous if it's paranormal or not
You can't actually be serious, right?
How is a baby disappearing in an open field 70 feet away from the nearest tree ambiguous?
How is a child coughing up a tangible apple before dying ambiguous?
How is a goat transforming into a man ambiguous?
How is four women suddenly floating together ambiguous?

Don't get snookered by pseud directors trying to drum up word-of-mouth marketing with off-hand "tee-hee I'll never tell" comments in Slate.com interviews

>how is x ambiguous
dude hallucinogens lmao
i actually didn't catch the trippy rot thing but thought it was a decent movie overall and one of the best horrors, but i guess that's not an achievement.

Anything Anya stars in is an instant kino

>i actually didn't catch the trippy rot
I don't remember a single reference to their crops ailing or rotting at all, I think the director's just being an asshat

Because it's the interpretation of puritan seventeen century New England peasants driven by faith and folklore living in a secluded place
It's almost like you're an actual fucktard and completely missed what the movie was trying to convey

no, i'm dead certain that their crops did rot, just not an indication that it could be hallucinogenic. perhaps could tell us how he came to the conclusion.

It's almost like you completely missed my point from the get-go
Any commentary on the paranoid mindset of 1600s puritans is ruined once you start introducing imagery and tropes that have absolutely no connection to that folklore. The whole thing should have actually felt like a folk-tale with plot-points you could easily imagine being preserved in the word-of-mouth retelling throughout several generations. "The witch released the little boy because no reason and then he came back and gave an epic spooky monologue and then spat out this nasty badass apple and then totally died and the twins passed out also" does not in any way fit that bill. The witch stealing and grinding the baby was perfect because it gives the very real yet very distilled fantasies of those folktales the violent imagery it deserves. The movie should have acted as an agent to actually see those horrifically violent old tales, not make new shit up just to spook the audience

>Any commentary on the paranoid mindset of 1600s puritans is ruined once you start introducing imagery and tropes that have absolutely no connection to that folklore.
Such as? I don't even know what the fuck you're on about. What tropes have no connection to the folklore? How the hell doesn't the imagery convey the folklore? It's literally spot on.

"plot points" was the term I should have used. Read the rest of my post.

movie was great, op is a fag as usual

>The whole thing should have actually felt like a folk-tale with plot-points you could easily imagine being preserved in the word-of-mouth retelling throughout several generations.
>the witch stealing and grinding the baby was perfect because it gives the very real yet very distilled fantasies of those folktales the violent imagery it deserves.
So your arguments are "I don't think this would actually happen and be told through word-of-mouth" "DUDE MORE VIOLENT IMAGERY"
Can you try that again with an actual valid argument this time, sweetie?

Well user, I can't see this conversation going anywhere fruitful in the near future. I'm going to have to call it quits on this one tonight

Op is a faggot who doesnt understand movies and probably watchs nostalgia critic on the daily

Well, it's not like it was going anywhere from the get go with you trying to present your opinions as verifiable facts in some sort of pseud attempt at valid criticism.

>marketed as horror flick
>not EVEN an OUNCE of scare
Terrible movie. Even the dialogue was unintelligible. Only white people regard this shit as good.

the ending is the only reason why this movie is 6/10 or 7/10 instead of being 4/10 or 5/10

Only niggers hate good movies

DUDE IT WAS ALL A DREAM LMAO

movie should be about actual witches stories
but it wasn't about actual witches stories, it was about random spooky things happening that have no relations to actual witches stories that were told in the real world, in the past, which was what the movie presented itself as and which the director sold the movie for in numerous interviews
go it?

>it was about random spooky things happening that have no relations to actual witches stories that were told in the real world
There's nothing random about the "spooky" things that happen.
>which was what the movie presented itself as and which the director sold the movie for in numerous interviews
[citation needed]
So you're just butthurt because it didn't have a bunch of le spooky witch tropes? Ok pal.

Not him but "they talked about apples earlier" doesn't make the apple any less random and out of place

Still butthurt from the earlier thread, eh?

Gee what could an apple represent in a movie with heavy christian faith themes. It's not like sin had even been mentioned before that happened.
Jesus fuck, I'm out of this thread

well it gave me a boner so

>[citation needed]
lol faggot I'm not gonna spoonfeed you, maybe you were too underage to catch a 2015's movie hype but in every interview the director said it would be about american folklore witches

I want her to do a Split on my face if you know what I mean

That's not how it works kiddo, you made the claim, back it up or shut the fuck up.

>just like I learned on r/science :D
you lost kid, be humble and admit it

You're actually pathetic. This is my last (You), you better enjoy it.

Buddy, fucking everyone who watched the movie asks if the apple represents sin. Most people just instantly realize why that doesn't make a lick of sense:
-regurgitating the apple out of thin air (he was speaking clearly earlier) would most obviously represent the opposite of eating it: expulsion of knowledge and sin from the human race or just the individual, in a regression or salvation to the state Adam and Eve were in before their fall. This makes no sense in the context of the film's plot or themes
-the son isn't even presented as notably sinful or notably pure, so it's not clear why he'd be the agent of that image
-it's more likely a "you want apples? here, choke on 'em, kid" -type logic kind of thing given that the son wanted apples earlier

I think you're just finding vague connections and then praising the film for having them, even though absolutely nothing it being said with that connection

The apple means he has been tempted and fallen under the power of the witch/devil.
By the way, this is was literally inspired by the tale of a elizabethan witch that was accused of giving poisoned apples to children.
How this is vague or random is beyond me.

Didn't the son and father lie about going into the forest to find apples? Maybe the witch had an apple fly out of the son's mouth as a reminder and punishment to the father.

There, now shut the fuck up. It was a good movie you pleb.

>-the son isn't even presented as notably sinful or notably pure, so it's not clear why he'd be the agent of that image
He clearly lusted for his sister and that's how he fell to the witch

Right but he's no more sinful than anyone else in the family, other than maybe the dad

So what? Everyone fell eventually