Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

xojane.com/entertainment/i-worked-as-a-writer-for-reality-shows-heres-the-deal
tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-orville-season-one-ratings/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>comfier
b/c you watched them in the original run of TNG, it's just nostalgia
>better
~IMO half the TNG episodes aren't very good, maybe you're right, TV sucks now, people keep telling me it's a new golden age, not sure what to make of that

Good acting and set design makes TNG very immersive and it shows a hopeful vision of humqnity, so even bad episodes are comfy.

Utopia/Roddenberry's vision isn't something that would sell to well normally, but we are OVERDOSED in bad-ass characters and cranky assholes on tv.

This is why Discovery is too banal.

It's comfy because at the end of the episode everything resets to normal, so you don't have to task your brain with something as complicated as a story arch. Enemy of the week type of stories are for brainlets.

it wasn't afraid to make fun of itself with silly/stupid episodes

>GoT is for intellectuals

Yeah, I think the dark gritty antihero thing is gonna lose traction soon. We've been deluged in it for years now, it's about time for a new phase.

because real sci-fi writers not soap opera writers or clueless interns who've only watched teengirl shows.

the writers' strike ruined tv. networks realized they can save money with "reality" tv where they don't have to pay writers and directors.

The TNG Enterprise is one of the comfiest-looking fictional locations ever.

>reality TV is not scripted
mong pls

best episiode is that one from the first seasons with the worm aliens taking over starfleet and it looked like Riker was an alien but he didnt eat the worms and then him and Picard made a guy explode with their phasers

they surely overdid it since 9/11

i typed "reality" and not reality because i am aware it's not real and they're acting or exaggerating their reactions. but they do not have writers and are not paying for writers. they have producers who whisper or encourage (or outright tell) the "real" people how to react. so they're paying only one person instead of three if they also have to hire a writer and director.

They have writers just like any other thing you see on television.

xojane.com/entertainment/i-worked-as-a-writer-for-reality-shows-heres-the-deal

>not sure what to make of that
sorry you cant think for yourself

then: jews (with talent) getting jobs for other jews (with talent)
now: jews (with talent) getting jobs for sons (with no talent)

Because "feel good" shows and movies are frowned upon now a days. If it's not a mean-spirited, ultra-violent, sex show, it won't appeal to enough of an audience.

i'm guessing they're not officially writers and are not paid as writers because during the writer's strike the networks filled up empty slots with reality shows. he's probably just a producer who's doing the whispering or nudging.

It's the ship hum sound in the background.

It was comfy because of Gates McFadden's pillowy thighs.

funny, I've been binge rewatching tng and Im early into season 4, and I have to say a lot of the love I have for it is purely nostalgia, because most of the episodes are really fucking dumb.

In the Pale Moonlight?

Whats worf doing and whats she looking at.

>people keep telling me it's a new golden age, not sure what to make of that
Its 90s born queers parroting shit they hear others say. The golden age ended a decade ago.

He's just sitting down after Crusher examined his recently broken wrist. In the episode they didn't know how it got broken.

I'm currently watching it for the first time so it's not just nostalgia.

Oh right, that episode. Still can't believe fucking Troi is the one who broke his wrist.

>nostalgia

I didn't start watching Star Trek until I was 24 and I love it.

that golden age thing is pure marketing crap. Every time they're out of ideas and losing mone ythey try to hard sell whatever rubbish they're offering. Now it's all those shitty grimdark shows.

Sopranos, rome, carnivale, the wire, 6 feet under. There was a run of great shows in the early 2000s. Cinematic style shows we didnt have in the 90s. Its old hat now but it was a golden age.

>Discovery is too anal.

Braaaaaaaap lmao

Im watching TNG from start to finish for the first time ever. Just got done with (I think) s4e2 "Family".

Im having a fucking blast. Ive heard people say theres a big quality drop at some point but Im gonna remain optimistic. Even the bad TNG episodes are, at worst, pleasant.

Should I bother with any of the movies? Ever? Or does it taint memories of the actual series

Because you're tired and cynical and aching for a more care free time in your life.

Eh if you liked the shows you'll probably like the movies too, they have their bad moments but they're nowhere as awful as people make them out to be

I've watched every episode but never was able to find out why Data was so pale

obviously it's because he's a caucasian robot, you nitwit.

FIrst three episodes of STD are already better than the first season of TNG.

>better
2/3rds of TNG is gutter schlock

fa/tv/irgins who say "big quality drop" are just being snottily pretentious and are just parroting one user who was triggered by an ep and hates all eps that followed it. tryhard edgesters are like that.

The TNG movies aren't very good. They turn Star Trek into action movies, but they aren't terrible. You should watch them if only so you can watch the Plinkett reviews of them afterwards.

>not good because action

girls are the cancer that caused the downfall of sci-fi

Whats a good episode to show someone that has never seen Star Trek? I was thinking the

>Plinkett reviews
Kill yourself

TNG is really dry, OG star trek has a cast with chemistry. Kirk & spock are awesome

royale, the best of both worlds part 1+2, frame of mind from tng
skip voy and ent
ds9 has arcs so might be a problem, tng is best imo for newcomer, it's how most people started afaik

>If it's not a mean-spirited, ultra-violent, sex show, it won't appeal to enough of an audience.
As they say: art reflects life.

TNG was never action though what are you on about? You must be thick. The movies are action movies and really quite different from the TNG show.

They're great.

Do you mean dry in a bad way? The formality of TNG is very charming to me.

TNG isn't "feel good" though. The good guys usually win and it doesn't have a gritty tone, but it tackles some heavy issues and doesn't like to shy away from them.

Hi dad. Miss the times I would come to to the living room to chill with you while you watch this

girl, just go back to your soap operas

story archs are shit. ruin every comfy show they happen to. they're why shows like x-files or supernatural start out great then gradually turn into crap as the story archs that start out as 2-4 episodes per season eat up more and more of it until motw is 2-4 episodes per season instead and all you have now is shitty personal drama

prove me wrong

the orville is basically tng and it's contemporary and people like it. critics hate it but critics aren't the audience

and the action scenes were a massive improvement. but girls don't agree with that. because girls are the cancer that ruin sci-fi.

ds9 was second best trek because of its story arcs, though not all were good but the major ones were

Show your tits stupid whore.

>archs

>girls are the cancer that ruin sci-fi
girls may indeed be cancerous enough to ruin everything they influence but sci-fi isn't made better by action. action movies are made better by action. sci-fi is made better by having the characters overcome problems in lots of different, novel ways.

stop

Fuck off you barren cunt.

critics are useless as guides and are only useful for marketing purposes if critics give positive review (but you can always find a critic from farawaytownpaper to give a good glowing review).

critics are just people who watch shows and blog their opinions hoping to get comments and attention. the average/overall critics' ratings are only useful if you want to know the percentage of needy attention whores who like a show.

>barren cunt

kek
i like that, user. i hope you don't mind if i use it. i'll use it now.

cry harder and drown in your own tears, barren cunt

>people like it
reminder orville was just being fluffed up by muh post football and now that their cancerious plan to wipe overhype against discovery stopped the ratings are taking a nosedive.

tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-orville-season-one-ratings/

Modern tv isn't about good values or morals. Modern tv is about the Anti-Hero. Flawed characters who do fucked up things. TV used to be about the good aspects of human nature. Not anymore though...

modern tv is about soap operas and relationship dramas

It literally is a quality drop though "tryhard". In season 7 they ran out of ideas and started pulling out older scripts that they deemed to shit to run.

I just watched the finale.
it wasn't as good as I remembered it/

Because nostalgia. There are tons of shows today that are better than TNG.

Everything on tv has to be super grim dark and stupid serious because that means its mature

reminder tng doesn't end with "all good things" anymore.

the movies are really bad. I would definitely stay away from nemesis. the "quality drop" is more a shift away from sci-fi first and drama second to drama first and sci-fi second. I personally like the later episodes alot

First Contact is a lot of fun despite not quite getting what makes the Borg work, the other 3 are utter trash however.

>my attention span doesn't allow for stories longer than 40 minutes, the comment

You know a show is shit, if there are character development episodes, instead of characters developing procedurally during episodes that aren't specifically about them.

You know a show is shit if there is so much plot armor on the main cast, S01E01 features the same cast as SxxExx years later.

You know a show is shit when the story is so simplistic it doesn't span multiple episodes as a rule, but as an exception.

I could go on... 30 years ago this might have been okay, today it's considered simplistic garbage. Get over it.

Ahahaha, no

kys

You are the vocal minority whining for an outdated storytelling concept. Here's the proof:
People want suspense that is built for more than 20 minutes and lasts more than another 20 i.e. spans more than an episode. People want to see situations where the characters are in real danger instead of a plot armor so thick, it completely ruins suspense. People want these characters to have teaching moments they take with them through the rest of the series instead of everything just conveniently resetting at the end of each episode. People want all of this in one package, so you can't call it the lowest common denominator, it's the complete opposite, it's the lowest common multiple. Get over it.

I fucking hate the movies.

I also disliked early ds9 but the later seasons are goat easily as good as peak tng and orville

>I also disliked early ds9 but the later seasons are goat easily as good as peak tng
>and orville
Wasn't expecting those last two words desu famalot

Orville is tng/ds9 with none of the shit.

It's pure distilled trek in everything but name.

I kinda like the humor it's better than anything Seth has made in the last decade

Mommmmmyyyyyy

She's granny now

Like coherency, production value, maturity and moral superiority? I agree.

you mean GILF

>you will never fuck her in her prime
give me ONE fucking reason to live

>give me ONE fucking reason to live
You can still fuck Naomi Wildman in her prime.

Same thing. Just as mommy=MILF, granny=GILF
Her youth has been immortalized on dozens of hours of film, so there's that.

Picture for reference.

Barclay

Crusher looked old back in TNG, now she just looks ancient.

>better
are you blind? TNG has like 20-30 good episodes tops

I've been re-watching some VOY season 6 episodes and they are really great. I think hating VOY is a meme and maybe misogyny.

>and maybe misogyny
Definitely misogyny since it has the most amount of strong female characters of any Star Trek to date. Even the blonde character they introduced for her tits and flaunted around in a catsuit a.k.a. 7 of 9 is a better defined character than most of the bridge crew.

Gates McFadden has said that during much of her time on the show, especially when she came back in season 3, they made her look older to appear more motherly, and she was almost 40 at that point. Look at how much younger she looked in season 1 compared to season 4.

And here's her in season 4. Just a 3 year difference. No one could age this much in that time.

Half of the Episodes are garbage?. More like 75% of them are. TNG has 3 decent characters Picard, Pulaski and O'Brien.

The other actors in TNG are bloody awful.

7 of 9 and The Doctor were my favorite characters. Bellana Torres was cool too. It's a shame people dismiss this series because of that. There are so many great stories. I especially liked Drone and One Small Step.

How bad is it that I can name the episodes just by looking at these pictures?

How bad is it that I can quote lines of these episodes by looking at the pictures?