NUCLEAR VS SOLAR

Nuclear waste has no solution. What do you do with all the radioactive water from nuclear reactors? Just let it go right out into the atmosphere. Dangerous, and silly. This is of course what happens when a reactor breaks down. Normally the water is fine, maybe. You can't garuantee anything 100%. I don't want to take the chance.

See this picture? Even the film was so radioactive they have to keep it behind special glass to protect the government officials looking at it. Even that wasn't enough to scare them away from nuclear energy. Politicians are retarded.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuitSat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, before any of you say "hurr shoot it into space", just stop and think about why that's such a stupid idea.

Why?

>Even the film was so radioactive they have to keep it behind special glass to protect the government officials looking at it.
My sides

Because it's a really bad idea.

It's solidified, neutralized, and contained underground. It is totally safe and the logical decision to do.

you literally have 0 idea of what you are talking about

please kill yourself

We had this thread already, from the same aussie shitposter before, with the exact same wording

Well obviously solar is the best option but nuclear is better than the trash we use now

Lmao the water doesn't touch anything radioactive you fuck. Google what a heat exchanger is

And what happens when someone like you goes outside and trips over? Boom, earthquake. Radioactive waste goes into the ground water.

Solar has intermittancy problems. It can be good as distributed generation to lessen grid load, but is often uneconomical and can increase the baseload variance as well as contribute to the utility death spiral.

Nuclear is the cleanest baseload power source with the exceptions of geothermal and hydro, which are both geographically limited. Problems are the waste and the massive facility cost, which is 4-5x what a gas plant costs for the same output.

This
Once solar/wind efficiency is improved it will be a viable option. For now nuclear is the best.

thought about it. Still wanna do it. Ayys can get fucked

Nuclear kills the fewest people of all energy sources used, and is actually PRACTICAL, unlike solar.

>Even that wasn't enough to scare them away from nuclear energy.
Well not everyone is an ignorant pussy like you.

Learn how to read, I said
>this is of course what happens when a reactor breaks down

I would think that Americans would be more aware of the dangerous of nuclear energy, I guess they just banned teaching Americans about Three Mile Island.

why

do u even LFTR?

Actually, battery technology is good enough now that we can deploy solar across the whole world. Even areas that have little sunlight, we can fill trucks with batteries and create a whole new industry of delivering energy.

>not just placing it the farthest possible distance from the fault line

Rockets can explode.

You can't talk Brazil.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
>the International Atomic Energy Agency called it "one of the world's worst radiological incidents"

Any post with the word "silly" in it is obvious bait.

Technically fault lines move about, so who knows where they could strike next.

oh so just any and all space travel is bad ok

Why?
Seriously why?
One space travel becomes cheap enough why can't we just launch it towards the sun?

Ok, so is practical to light up just a bus stop or an ad with nuclear power?

No, you idiot. Currently in the US it's kept above ground in massive casks on site that are virtually impenetrable. There is no chance of it contaminating the environment.

What about the water? Typically the water used in American super carriers that's used to cool/moderate the reactor core that is dumped back into the ocean has LESS radioactive material than what is found in normal ocean water.

Did he died?

Nuclear is just as destructive to the land as other energy sources. Uranium mining over here has destroyed a lot of land.

Solar panels could be deployed in orbit, and beam down energy to receivers. Nuclear sucks shit.

Generally on the edges of tectonic plates.

If there was only a large dead zone where we could
> Sees flag
Hey there

Is this real?

epic troll post

Could be deployed in orbit.
You'd still need to ship the panels into space which is a very costly endeavor.

Nuclear is fucking amazing as shit.

On the same power grid that powers everything in the city? Yes.

Prove it. Nuke plants exist. Solar energy space beam satellites don't.

Nuke: 1
Hippies: 0

>fault lines move about
Yep. It takes hundreds of thousands of years, so I'm not sure why it's relevant.

Pedro, you do know that those things are usually connected to a power grid? That draw power from probably a coal power plant?

>inpenetrable
So how did they get the waste in them in the first place? Idiot. Do you believe everything you read online?
Russians were testing old space suits to see if they could be used as a cheap satellite.
Here's you reason, pic related.

I looked it up. They used a space suit as a satellite. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuitSat

>mexico

This is why your country is the way it is.

In mexico and other third world nations they cant grasp the idea of centralized power.

I see your point. That'd be bad.
Like.
Really bad.
But then again I said once it's cheap. After a couple more SpaceX disastrous and everyone finally gets their shit together.

Nuclear energy was only promoted as a great energy source by the government in order to produce weapons.

The worlds leader of technology, Japan, has space-based solar power as a national goal.

Now think hard for this one, how long is that nuclear waste going to stay dangerous? Forever.

We got our uranium out of the ground in the first place - after we've gotten all of the energy we can reasonably get out of it, may as well put it back.

>shoot it into the sun
>the sun is pleased with us for feeding it and makes the crops grow faster
>???
>profit

Why not combine solar and wind to take power from SOLAR WIND????

>why is it a bad idea
>because it's a really bad idea
okay but why?

Physics PhD fag here

Also certified nuclear RSO through Oak Ridge

fuck it. It's not worth it. It's impossible for you people to see reality

You are not worthy of my discourse.

You could fuck over anyone sending waste into space by turning their rocket into a dirty bomb. That's if they don't accidentally blow their own rocket up.

>how long is that nuclear waste going to stay dangerous

Until it decays which isn't really that long at all.

bottom of the ocean in containers that will degrade by the time the waste is no longer radioactive (~100 years).

You're not a real doctor.

The reactors our carriers use aren't really comparable to civilian plants outside of the most basic features.

This picture of a nuclear blast is technically emitting radiation through your monitor.

Why not shoot it into space not with a rocket but with an SSTO

>nuclear-reactor-japan-explosion.jpg
>picture of Bikink Atoll bomb test
Alright Aussie you've had your fun, time for bed

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

>On September 15... Alves, however, continued with his efforts to dismantle the equipment. In the course of this effort, he eventually freed the caesium capsule from its protective rotating head. His prolonged exposure to the radioactive material led to his right forearm becoming ulcerated, requiring amputation. [9]

>On September 16, Alves succeeded in puncturing the capsule's aperture window with a screwdriver, allowing him to see a deep blue light coming from the tiny opening he had created.[1] He inserted the screwdriver and successfully scooped out some of the glowing substance. Thinking it was perhaps a type of gunpowder, he tried to light it, but the powder would not ignite.

Holy shit this whole story is fucking hilariously bad

>This is of course what happens when a reactor breaks down. Normally the water is fine, maybe. You can't garuantee anything 100%. I don't want to take the chance.

Here's something to think about

Nukes kill people in incidents occurring once every half a decade

Now think about all the people who have died from smog in China from coal fired power stations and in the Industrial revolution from working in coal mines and smog compared to everyone who has ever died from radiation, is it still risky?

Technology and as a result safety has improved from the days of poorly mismanaged power stations on an island or the middle of ukranie, after those we have never had a nuclear catastrophe, only literally a few isolated incidents where corners were cut or a natural disaster took place (seriously a fucking plant on the coast of japan?)

Plus the fact that you think that way when our country is possibly THE best and most importantly SAFEST place to have a nuclear industry is a homage to cooked hippies in the 70s telling us that windmills are the best source of energy, and what do we pay for that? High rates for energy generated from wind farms, fuck this.

You would think after having a bomber dropping four hydrogen bombs over Spain and contaminating the ground with plutonium, you would have been anti-nuclear.

Tobacco contains polonium 210 and lead 210, and it has killed a huge amount of people.

Ban radioactivity.

What are you refuting?

this. all of it. thorium breeder reactors are the future, oil will be dead within our lifetime. How does it feel?

you hear me, oil shill? it's on its way out, forever.

Do you at least get paid for constantly making those shit threads?

Solar is better than oil, and that's why I only cook with sunflower oil.

solar is a meme mate

also your thread is really bad

Why can't we just put all the drums in the nevada desert and blow it up with a test nuke. We used to nuke that place all the time. What's one every decade or so?

Thorium will never catch because governments want Fissile material for nuclear weapons, i could see it happening here though due to the anti nuclear stance

>you hear me, oil shill? it's on its way out, forever.

Despite the shortcomings of fossil fuels i'd like to see investment in shale oil just to watch those goatfuckers in the UAE inside their oil funded skyscrapers kill each other after a week of their cash flow running out

Solar brings life to everything on Earth. Bitch. You mad you don't get as much sun as Australia?

Are you some kind of retard?

Nukes are never blown up on the surface, that'd be fucking bad.

Yeah but it's all good to blow them up inside a reactor? Retard.

Feel like I might be able to learn something from you. I could have sworn I read that they still produce fissile material. no? If so maybe I meant regular breeder reactors, that only produce fissile material and use 99% of fuel?

Also tell me about shale oil

The only use for solar is for people wanting to spite the government for shitty electricity prices form once again, fucking absurd renewable energy costs or some guy living in a rural setting where getting solar is cheaper then mains, integrating renewable as the main source of energy in your grid is just fucking stupid and needs to die in a hole

>Nuke the nuclear waste

Brilliant!

>Nuclear waste has no solution.
What are breeder reactors?

>outing yourself not even halfway to bump limit
jesus you're not even GOOD at shitposting

Fossil fuel money pays for anti-nuclear, pro "green" ads. Here is just one example. Note the smiling sun with the tag line "SOLAR NOT NUCLEAR" and "Paid for by the Long Island Oil Heat Institute." There is a reason that these companies want you to believe that solar and wind will save the Earth: It's because by the time those technologies are actually competitive with fossil fuels, they'll have sold their products to you and made the profits. Nuclear is the only real threat to fossil fuel generation techniques, and it scares them to death - which is why YOU should be supporting it.

Here's your (You)

Bring this to /sci/, they'll love you for it

Instead of finding the better source of energy, why not focus on making powergrids longer, alowing energy to go around the earth
That way we could install a thousand nuclear reatirs in hawaii and distribute to the world

Wrong, the Answer is "What are things that don't exist".

Plan B, we dump it all over the site North Korea where they did the latest test. They will never know.

Guaranteed 300 replies. Here, have another picture of a nuclear reactor. Solar energy is the future pleb, that's why every space agency uses solar.

As far i know Thorium reactors produce no fissile materials at all, and any reactor that uses Uranium can produce fissile materials

As for shale oil, up until now there was no cost effective way of extracting it, now that we have it the sand niggers are pissing themselves and as a result OPEC counties lowered the prices to try and keep it out of the market, if shale oil became a thing the west could finally supply itself with it's own oil without having to deal with dune coons and their antics, this is what makes OPEC countries especially scared.

>nuclear waste has no solution

Wrong.

Manufacture depleted uranium munitions and ship them to third world countries. The radiation will reduce the birth rates and solve the problems of overpopulation, mass hunger, and spread of HIV.

If they go around the whole Earth you can get free energy from the magnetic fields moving the electrons. Don't even need nuclear.

>If they go around the whole Earth you can get free energy from the magnetic fields moving the electrons

Bullshit

OP is obviously being a disingenuous shitter, but i'll put this here anyways:

Nuclear reactors are fancy water boilers, and little else; Instead of the chemical reaction of combustion, it uses the atomic decay of specific elements for its fuel. The energy heats an intermediate, that heats water to steam, which drives turbines, which connect to generators to create electrical power.

Most so called "wastes" are capable of being recycled in a reactor that's been designed for it. Unfortunetly, no real new nuclear plants are being built using those design resolutions due to political red tape... red tape specifically setup during the era where nuclear plants were shitty and poorly designed with the intent of nuclear weapons production instead of energy production.

tl;dr
People are retarded and don't realise technology improves, says "This prototype is shit, therefore all of this technology will be shit forever" Then they threw the most energy-dense fuel into a hole in the ground and never talked about it again, because they were choking on the petrochemical literally black dick.

You wouldn't believe the shit that can be done with copper. NASA did show that the idea might work.

One interesting thing done with copper was Project West Ford.

b-but obviously all modern reactors are the same as the shitty Soviet built ones from the 1950s!

>non-shitpost from a leaf
I capped it, nothing you can do about it :P

Bullshit. Jews probably make a stack of of shekels in """""""storing"""""" the waste with monthly storage charges for literally thousands of years

This^

Nuclear energy is god-tier. Humans haven't even grazed the surface of what energy we can capture from the atom. For the sake of science, nuclear energy is a worthwhile investment. Now that we're not squandering our resources on how to blow up russo slavsky, we might actually see some scientific progress.

I'm a welder by trade, and I'm familiar with coal fired plant structures. Coal is still a good source of energy. The efficiency of modern coal plants is pretty amazing. Of course, we should ween ourselves from it, because Wyoming and Pennsylvania are sure to dry up some time.

Solar is wack for anything other than supplemental use. At this point, it's only useful for businesses looking for a tax break, or a nerd homesteader with a propensity to invest in fiddly shit. Same goes for wind energy. It's cool, but it's not the solution.

B-BUT MUH CLEAN ENERGY

Why the fuck bother with nuclear when we can use anti-matter/mater reactions that will produce far more energy? Fuck. Solar can hold us off until we perfect anti-matter production.

Because we haven't even been able to produce anti matter past a few particles, let alone actually understand it, seriously though, your thread is shit

...What?

Do you know how space works?

>Sup Forums talks about nuclear and solar energy
lol

>You can't talk Brazil.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
brazilians are so fucking poor and ignorant, holy fuck