Hey Sup Forums I'm 18 year old and I get so annoyed when people call animation for children...

Hey Sup Forums I'm 18 year old and I get so annoyed when people call animation for children. Are they right and I still try to calm down?

why wont you prove them otherwise?

>Are they right
In the United States at least, animation is definitely seen as stuff for children since that's whom the target audience is for majority of the shows there.

They aren't wrong.

Business has shaped animation to the capacity that they only care about toy sales to children. Ratings or sponsors can't support a cartoon series. Its a closed system. There are cracks and rebels here and there but its going to be years until we actually get really animated series geared toward everyone to adult just because of this stigma of "children's cartoons".

You need to decide for yourself.
Also, asking for a bunch of autistic anons opinions of cartoons on a cartoon and comics board is pretty fucking stupid.

>Hi I'm a teenager and I get angry when people say media created for children is childish
wow....rly made me think......

Well you're a child and you like cartoons, so...

>Make illustration
"Yes, that's art that can be appreciated by adults."
>Make multiple frames of illustration such that they appear to move when played in sequence
"Wow, a cartoon. How childish."

Surround yourself with cartoon, anime, and videogame nerds online

Animation isn't a genre, it's a medium

That being said, the vast majority of animated shows on right now are indeed for children, so either learn to accept you're a manchild like the rest of us or go watch whatever boring ass TV drama is popular right now, or maybe some sports.

You type like a 12 year old from a non-english country.

Or trolling.

Yeah, they've got a point in that very many animations are aimed at children. That's a fact you're just going to have to accept.

Here, have a recommendation list. You'll find that many of these films are still aimed at a child audience or will appeal to children as well as adults, but a couple of them serve as examples of animated films that are best enjoyed by adults and not children. So, yeah, they exist. But they're more of an exception to the majority.

You shouldn't let knowing that some are aimed at kids get in the way of your enjoyment of them, though.

post barely legal dick or GTFO

When you grow up and become an adult, you won't give a fuck. I pay my taxes and have enough security to enjoy what I enjoy. Only children are concerned about being perceived as childish and are desperate to be seen as mature. Adults don't, because they know they're adults and what they watch does nothing to change that.

you are a child tho

The general social norm is to assume that they are. If the people saying it are open to hearing different views or opinions on the matter, by all means feel free to educate them.

That being said, this is Sup Forums, and Sup Forums is a haven for manchildren and creeps alike. So take it all with a grain of salt.

Why do you think that matters?

Has there ever been an adult American cartoon with actual adult themes that's not comedy? As in the situations aren't played for comedy and the situations within the cartoon are played straight?

Does Anomalisa count?

Uh, off the top of my head...
>Bojack Horseman [which pretends to be a comedy but is actually horrible]
>.
>.
... Nothing else.

What you need to do is stop giving a shit.

You're not exactly proving you're not a kid, since only kids care about being approved of that much.

Spawn

Anything fun is for children. Real men should be working in the coal mines.

disney pushed the toons is for kids shit to avoid criticism and indoctrinate children. Walt was a big admirer of old robber barons like Ford and Carnegie, he felt he could improve people and change their behavior through a push of Emersonian philosophy by retelling public domain fairy tales.

Toons were NEVER for kids. Look up Minnie the Moocher and the original cartoons, some were artistic and ambitious, lots were dark or sexual. Only disney and the corporations 'safe and innocent' propaganda begs otherwise.

It's all just to manipulate people and grow dumb wage slave/consumers of disney products.

>autistic anons
>Everyone on Sup Forums is autistic
What a bunch of bullshit.

Typically cartoons try to avoid "adult" themes like sex and death

Even in Japanese cartoons meant for an older audience they often end up having blood and nipples censored until they sell the episodes for private ownership in which case the TV version remains censored

There are cartoons which do try to incorporate more adult themes- Avatar is one of them. Arguably Steven Universe could also be considered one of them, though that one has to work to ensure it doesn't stray too far into adult themes since it is intended more for children who are the primary audience of cartoons.

The majority of cartoons in America, Europe and Japan tend to be designed with kids in mind, but obviously there are cartoons which incorporate more adult themes and thus can't be shown to a five year old or a ten year old.

Aeon Flux is one

I'm pretty sure the Batman cartoon from the 1990s is less appropriate for children given many of the themes and implied death. Batman Beyond was also designed to appeal to an older audience.

There are others that I don't care to sift through, but the fact is they exist and some are rather prominent.

In any case going "any that isn't comedy" is rather foolish since the American animation industry is smaller than some like the Japanese one and Japanese cartoons like Mahouiku or Madoka which are designed to be cute and then have characters dying en mass or cartoons like Jojo which are designed for action exist because of that larger animation industry, which benefits from a larger comic industry as well.

I've been thinking of trying to find some good animators and starting an internet service that would be for high quality, adult oriented cartoons. There would be adult comedies and drama alike, experimental and avant-garde works, and stuff that really just explores more mature themes through the medium. I think having a mix of longer running shows, movies, shorts, miniseries, etc would really help it. Would anyone here even be remotely interested in that? Say it goes off ad revenue, merchandise sales, donations, etc for a while and if it gets popular enough moving it to a low cost subscription model, like $4/mo or something with a regularly updating library of content.