Was he a martyr? What did he all do it for?

Was he a martyr? What did he all do it for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zAzSHKscApM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He didn't do anything in fact because "he" never existed, he was a soulless automaton with no inner life or subjective experience whatsoever. You may as well discuss the motivations of a rockslide

Love.

To gain a soul. Everything that he thought was important up to that point was a lie, his job, his AI GF, thinking he was the chosen one. Him chosing to die so that Deckard could have a reunion with his kid was the realist thing he's ever done.

Damn.....

They fooled us. I failed to recognize the memory girl as Deckard's daughter.

Like said in the movie many times, he knew how to cover traces and make things disappear. Pretty decent twist.

2049 is such a masterpiece.

He did it for himself. He rejected both the LAPD and the other replicants, and chose to do what he wanted, and became more human than humans or replicants.
He's a real human bean.

He couldn't get back to his baseline.

He did it because of the implanted memory.

Best answer so far

to feel human

Robots can only follow their programming

In all honesty, this is actually one of the biggest failures of the movie. Why did K do anything that he did in the third act? We have no motivation from him to do anything. The leader of the replicant rebellion says that to die for a cause is to be human but why did he choose for his cause to be getting Deckard to his daughter? K didn't have any problem with not having parents, not actually being a son, why would he care that the girl meets her dad? She knows she has a dad and mom, she's not like desperate to find them.

>"..."
>"I drive."

jfc. really?

>why did he choose for his cause to be getting Deckard to his daughter?
Because he still has her memory. He still feels a connection to her.

He reunited a parent and a child, despite the ambitions of rebels and or the system he served for years. That's the most "human" thing one could do, and he did it.

And? He couldn't simply tell Deckard where she was?

The truth.

Not really, that just seems like some random thing you decided was the "most human thing to do". I can just as easily say "rebelling against slavery is the most human thing to do"

>He couldn't simply tell Deckard where she was?
It's not like he had any place else to be.

It was his choice. In the end he decided to do what he wanted, not what was expected.

It was pretty good. They even left clues to let you know which one was the child.
Remember when the one eyed woman said she picked up the baby and wrapped it in blue cloth? Blue of course meaning boy, but I didn't know it was because they switched them

However it doesn't explain how Joe got her memories implanted in him in the first place, she would not had made something from her memory.

I have no problem with that and I fully agree that is what Villeneuve was implying.

But WHY did he choose it

How the fuck is he supposed to just tell Deckard? First off Deckard can't just get around on his own his car was blown up. Second he's a hunted man by just about everyone. Is it because of the capeshit age that normies need every little thing spelled out for them?

>Drops Deckard off at the facility owned by the man who planned to torture him to find his daughter; now knowing 100% who and where she is
Not the greatest plan

Because he developed emotions (remember he was way off of his baseline at that point).

His emotions led him into thinking he was the child, realizing he wasn't the child and then deciding to help the childs father because he just felt it was right

>he just felt it was right
WHY did he feel like it was just right, you're just telling me everything I already know.

He has no real motivation, as shown in the movie, that he cared at all about a parent's relationship with their child

I thought his daughter was a freelancer?

>How the fuck is he supposed to just tell Deckard
>"Hey your daughter is X, she's at Y, she's alive and well just kinda lonely"
wow that was so hard

>need every little thing spelled out for them
>doesn't even remotely touch the question
lmao ok

You're asking us what happened in his head when it's not explicitly said by the movie dude. Your guess is as good as ours.
It felt right, he wanted to, it brought him closure regarding his own feelings. Don't act too autistic.

It's a FEELing, it doesn't need a why. Feelings aren't all logical.

It's like saying "I feel like it's right to help old ladies across the street." Why? I don't know, just feels like the right thing to do. Maybe you don't feel that way

But he did share some of her memories so like another user said maybe he empathised with her and felt like he should help them

The movie is about K's search for a soul. We see at the start that he is wondering if he has a soul or not. He then believes that he is the first replicant born from another replica which means he has a soul, but latter finds this is not true questions himself again. He ends the movie dying while doing a selfless act similar to Roy in the first movie, and when he is dying he realizes that he doesn't have to be a messiah to have a soul.

/thread

>Is it because of the capeshit age that normies need every little thing spelled out for them?
this movie did literally spell everything out like some capeshit flick though tbqh
like JOI explaiing the numbers on the wooden horse, as if we couldn't make that fucking connection ourselves

The same reason Roy decided to spare Deckard in the original. He wanted to be a real human bean like said

pfft look at the insecure human supremacist over here

pic related how can humans even compete

the film is an abject failure for a multitude of reasons but this is probably the biggest one

He didn't sacrifice himself for just A cause. He did for HIS cause. That's what matters in the end.

By the end of the movie he has no identity, no actual memories, no love, no job, no nothing. Uniting a long lost father with his daughter is the only thing he could've done to actually have a purpose or any meaning to himself, to feel "special" like the snowflakes falling on his hand dissapearing completely

>SOMEBODY lives those memories, yes

are you retarded? why would she use "somebody" in this context? dead giveaway, even before they actually showed a montage for the dumb audiences worldwide

This guy is a really surprisingly good actor, I like him a lot.

Why did Roy not kill Deckard in the original?

you have low emotional IQ my friend

>Rachel has serial number on her bones
>they needed the void kampff test to find out if someone is a replicant because there is no way to tell otherwise
>she
>had
>a
>serial number
>on
>her
>bones

great flick though, right up there with transformers if you ask me

he literally died a cuck
he should have seeked out wallace after leaving the cringe rebellions replicants

In the first scene with the prostitute, were we supposed to know what that loud blaring noise was? It sounded like a massive engine revving every few seconds, but I don't think I ever saw the source of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zAzSHKscApM

Big Dick Dave is pretty based

DUDE URBAN CHAOS LMAO

hans zimmers score

>Kill someone because you're 90% sure they're a replicant.
>Check the bones after
>Whoops! No serial!

Empathy. He had suddenly felt that his implanted memory was genuine, that the horse was his and it did have actual importance in the real world and not in a virtual one, he knew at that point that the horse was so important to the kid in the memory because it connected them to their parents that they never knew. At that point he wanted to know his mother, who she was and what she was like, he wanted to know why he never got to see his father, why he would hide away from him for 30 years. He cared about a parent's relationship with their child very much so, user.

>Let me just take a look at this person's bones because I suspect they may be a replicant.

It makes you wonder why they didn't print serial numbers on their foreheads or something

It's funny when someone whips out the epic movie logic own thinking they sound smart and come across as a dumbass.

try reading more than the first sentence children.

So, when Deckard's daughter viewed K's memory, and she saw something which actually happened to her, why didn't she say something? How are real memories extracted in the first place?

I'm also thinking back to Tyrell's niece and that story Deckard told Rachel to make her realize her memories weren't her own. The "Doctor" bit. If Tyrrell's niece didn't tell that story to anyone, how was it extracted?

I've always wondered how Deckard knew Rachel's memories. It always bothered me.

>literally
>one (wrong) example is the whole movie
>thinks joi talking about the numbers was for the purpose of spelling things out.
The numbers on the horse was obvious. Only a low iq like you would think that needed to be spelled out.

K's character evolution throughout the film is driven by new layers of empathy

he feels empathy for the replicant that gave birth and her child, it's empathy for his replicant kin; when he starts believing he was the child, he feels empathy for himself, self-esteem, gaining the will to live a full life; when he's talking with deckard, he's probing for rachael's and deckard's past, who he thinks are their parents, trying to empathize with their motives for abandoning him and also fill his own emotional needs; after he finds out he's just a replicant, his newly found capacity for empathy doesn't disappear, rather he feels sorry for deckard, a human, coming full circle

he decides to bring father and daughter together because he wishes he could experience that, that he could be the child with a real past, so he follows the golden rule ("treat others as one would like others to treat oneself"), climbing another step on his path to humanity

>planned to go see bladerunner today
>local theatre is doing that monthly membership thing
>16$ for a single ticket if youre not a member, went in there today and now I dont know if Im gonna see the movie

is it worth 16 bucks guys? I mean I know its great but fuck. thats like imax prices. 12 would be fine. but 16? stupid fucking movie memberships. hope that model dies off real soon.

what did you guys pay to see this?

I always just assumed Tyrell dished everything about Rachel once he figured out she was a replicant. The original one (with the voiceover) said Tyrell told him Rachel was special and with no termination date. So, I assumed the memories were shared with him at that time, as well. Tyrell seemed like the kind of guy who couldn't wait to talk in depth about his creations.

Still doesn't explain memory extraction. Unless Tyrrell's niece wasn't real, which would be BS, desu.

Tyrell must have told him that he implanted his nieces memories in Rachel off screen, and probably explained some of them

even him picking that fucking horse up was spelling things out, should've left it at him recognizing that factory where it was hidden

now read that again so that you don't get it all backwards again

yeah it's worth it, you'll never be able to experience this Kino in a theater again

This is honestly one of the best movies ever made

I literally payed about 5 bucks to see it in IMAX in my country (Croatia)
But that means nothing really because the average income here is far less than in other western countries, it's a bit stupid to compare prices of different countries of different economies.

Maybe a worry that folks might end up being forced into the life of a replicant or worse, with a shitty tattoo job. Voight-Kampf was needed so you could be 100% sure.
I think the idea that humanity values itself so much that even with the shitty dystopia they live in it would be worst if a human was made to stand in for a replicant works fairly well for the canon.
I dunno though.

>I failed to recognize the memory girl as Deckard's daughter.
how fucking stupid are you

>one of them is a clone
>she cries at the memory
>"somebody" lived it

>WHY did he feel like it was just right, you're just telling me everything I already know.
Because he was tired of being used for one. The LAPD wanted to use him. The replicants wanted to use him. So he decided fuck it, to be human is to make a choice instead of doing only what you're told.

By saving Deckard he completes an act of empathy that humanized him AND leaves someone behind who can remember him as a human. It's basically the same reason Roy Batty saved Deckard.

If you need more reason as to why exactly he did this you're fucking autistic. Without explicit dipshit exposition no movie will better explain motive.

She just replicates the memories my dog. Like painting a picture from your head.

I saw it in IMAX 3D using my Scotiabank© Scene Points! Sign up today and get 1000 free points!

good question, actually

Oh and also he was starting to have genuine human sympathy by that point which is explicitly given by how badly he was failing his baseline.

I think understanding this movie is proportional to how much you're going to like it. I read a review where the guy thought the 30 seconds K spends looking at the toy horse were ridiculous and not needed by the plot.

>they can literally create artificial humans in the future
>but not look at someones bones without killing him
pic related is what this futuristic, fantastic, not possible at all machinery could look like

>he was so perceptive at the end of the movie

I only paid 9.50 but I'm going to see it again, hopefully in IMAX. It's worth it bro.

>that ending

What was stopping Wallace from sending another terminator replicant to go pick up Deckard and his daughter as soon as the screen faded to black?

Like 9 bucks for special seats, it was worth it. I plan to watch the movie again to reward myself if I pass my mid terms. Definitely kino and worth the money.

It's critically well received so it's not exactly like the first one but it's still flopping financially. But I still think it will mirror the path of the fiest one in that 10-20 years down the road it will be remembered as one of the greatest sci fi films ever. Go see it.

>Yep this is a real memory
>K starts screaming uncontrollably
>smugAna.jpg

I paid 1 buck, cinema here in México is cheap, really cheap.

>this movie doesn't hold your hand guys, its a movie for thinkers like me, stop asking questions about why K did something
>paragraphs of exposition in the opening scene
>constant flashbacks to specific lines that characters say when K has a revelation
>VISUAL flashbacks to those specific scenes
ok

>I think understanding this movie is proportional to how much you're going to like it.
If the first one made you think and you contemplated it enough to really understand it you will lile the 2nd one. All these people complaining about plot holes didn't understand it at all.

okay. I'll pay SIXTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS TO THE FUCKING JEWS to see this movie.
fuck. I dont think I can wait to see it until a proper quality leak comes out.

this just adds to my antisemitism you greedy kikes. you hear me harvey? knock this bullshit off. this is why theaters are dying. maybe paying this much money to listen to a bunch of black teenagers talk over the movie isn't preferable to watching it at home in my own setup.

Jesus Christ this film is depressing as fuck.

Its lingering with me.

If Deckard's daughter was the one who made the memory, does that mean she knows full well what she is and why she has such a crippling immune disorder?

I was finding myself questioning how she knew whether a memory was real, or not. I can't imagine she is the only one in this world who is in the business of memory fabrication.

except I loved the first one and I can admit that the second one has plot holes

here
Should've mentioned that this was a review where he really hated the story and criticized it a lot.

Agree 100%

I'd blame your theatre. I grew up in western Washington and it's $12-$14 bucks there. Moved to Missouri and the local theatre is like $9 bucks.

>I want to be in your hologram stick
>but you have a chance to die!
>thats a risk im willing to take
>*dies*
If it wasn't for the fact that I was in a theater I would have audibly groaned at that

>except I loved the first one and I can admit that the second one has plot holes
Genuinely curious what you think those are. There may be a couple but to me it seems more purposefully ambiguous.

It's a sad state of affairs when the ticket price is reaching DVD retail price.

Why didn't he just back her up to another USB stick?

I was wondering this myself. I have to imagine it's pretty damn easy for Wallace to recover that car, only to see Deckard wasn't there. He could also extract Love's memories to see Deckard was still handcuffed to the seat right before she died.

I'm sure she remembers her childhood but not necessarily all of it. Do you?
Plus, if you're already fugitives living on the fringes, how hard is it to avoid talking about her replicant mom near the kid?
Either way, maybe she does know. It's not like she'd mention it to a goddamn Blade Runner of all people.

She knew the memory was real because it was hers, simple as that.

The entire motivation of the replicant rebellion

They know who the daughter is, the leader of the rebellion was there for her birth, they know Deckard is the father. What exactly was their purpose in the movie? Why didn't they just continue to do what they are doing if they knew replicants can reproduce already? Why were they even in the movie?

The emanation stick was a wedding ring style gift to her so my guess is that he couldn't obtain another one.

He keeps killing them.

that's the only way to make her real, the A.I. coming to that conclusion on her own also shows she's got some emotional IQ on her, she truly cares about K's feelings, more than the A.I. from Her that just dumps half the planet lmao