Why are Street Level characters much more interesting Sup Forums?

They're not.

Can truly comprehend the danger they face. Celestial deities I have no experience with but being in a dangerous part of town in a large city is something I deal with a lot. Just feels more visceral.

grit, grime, and the darkness of real urban life is more appealing to some people

in general i like a lot of scifi and fantasy themed stuff but when it comes to capeshit i prefer stuff that has an urban setting, it's just what i think of when i think of a super hero

Because you're an edgy prick. No Street level trite will have the nuances of Swamp Thing, Sandman, or Miracle Man.

>Swamp Thing
Nerdy
>Sandman
Faggothic
>Miracle Man.
Who?

read OPM

the main character is interesting and he can defeat anything in one punch

They typically have an actual specific superpower that defines them and how they operate/fight instead of:
>superhuman strength
>superhuman durability
>flight
>some sort of beam
>conflicts are two page spreads of people punching each other while a disco show happens

Because the world they operate in feels more like our own.

>street level characters
>who are also super geniuses, computer wizards, kung fu masters and natural born spidermen

it's easier to write. that's all there is to it. you have to be a special kind of retard to fuck up writing a street level hero because you have exponentially more material to draw inspiration from.

Don't forget blind lawyers
and Spiderman is not a street leveler he's up higher

Those three comics has a not of gritty real life story shit.

I mean all the street level bat family are all of those.

fourth post best post

You know, the 'Urban Setting' remark has me thinking... outside of old Superboy comics set in Smallville... are there any cape stories that are set in a more rural location? Or even small-ish towns as opposed to always in the middle of 'City of Millions!'?

It's because you lack imagination.

Street level characters are boring. I consume superhero comics to read about fantastic people in fantastic situations in situations more interesting than those I can see on the news. And at the end of the day Batman going several nights without being shot in the face does more to my suspension of disbelief than the concept of someone with magical powers as a hand-wave doing the same. I know someone like that can't exist because they don't, but if cybernetic implants, advanced powered exoskeletons, or more advanced genetic augmentation were things maybe there could be an Iron Man or Superman. Powers provide an explanation, outside of plot armor, for why such a character can play the hero game.

>the main character is interesting
No he is not.

because you lack of imagination nd sense of wonder.

>I know someone like that can't exist because they don't
that guy who fought ww2 with a sword exists and he went the whole war without getting shot in the face. even got a couple of kills. reality is stranger than fiction sometimes

Confirmed for having no experience with either firearms, or actual violent conflict.
Batman not getting shot is a little out there, but not nearly so much as videogames would have you believe, my man.

It's not really street level characters that are the most interesting, in some instances it's the world of that street level character being interesting. To be honest in that world it's really a series about sidekicks in a world of batman.

It cracks me up when autists like you say they want fantasy then immediately say they don't like Batman because he's unrealistic. If you can't see how that's contradictory then i feel sorry for you. It's like you have no self-awareness. You are ready to believe in a godlike alien that looks human and is living among us more than a guy who is really smart, skilled and lucky, THAT'S what triggers your suspensiom of disbelief. If you honestly believe street level heroes violate some kind of intrinsic law of fantasy in fiction that other characters don't, then you quite obviously have some kind of disability and need to seek help immediately.

I enjoy batman and the like but galaxy level shit is more my style. I like the higher stakes.

>claim street level characters are interesting.
>picks least interesting street level character.

That said, they aren't always cooler by virtue of being street level. I've been saying since the 90's that Tony Stark is basically what happens when you take a concept like Batgod and make him an actually interesting character, not to mention have him lose once in a fucking while.

/thread

why did dc in the mid 80s used photographs to make comics??? looks dumm

What run is this?

Ever hear of painting, son?

Not really. Stakes re too low and body counts get too high for that to work too often with capes.

If you want rural settings, you really need to go to straight mystery books like Longmire

>ready to believe that a character can do something magical with the excuse that he has magic
>not ready to believe that a character can do something magical without any explicitly mentioned magic

Sounds about right. But if you believe that Batman is realistic then by all means go out and become Batman, despite the fact that no one has ever managed to do so successfully. See how long that lasts.

I'd sooner take my chances against a martial artist with a gun, or in this case a suit of powered armor. History's proven time and time again that better tech and overwhelming powers will win against numbers, so when someone like Iron Man does the same it's entirely believable.

Fear Itself. It's not part of the main Iron man book at the time, but it has the same writer and takes place immediately after Grey Gargoyle wrecks Tony in Paris.

>You are ready to believe in a godlike alien that looks human and is living among us more than a guy who is really smart, skilled and lucky

Batman is so "lucky" that "Batman is an undiagnosed metahuman with luck manipulation" is a better explanation for his BS than what's canonically offered. The idea that there's a humanoid alien just asks me to believe the same thing that every work of sci-fi asks me to believe, that within a nigh infinite universe, and in this case, multiverse that convergent evolution hit upon the same form twice, aided by the existence of intelligence design driven by the Christian God within this fictional universe. The chance of an alien looking like a human is small, but I can't say that it's impossible; I know for a fact that there is no Batman.

What exactly do you mean by "magic" in this context? Because you're sounding like a literal retard here. Stop posting, it's embarrassing.

>Lucky and skilled = undiagnosed metahuman with luck manipulation

I seriously hope you're trolling, for you own sake. You'll believe in matter manipulation and someone who can break the laws of physics as easy as breathing, but you can't believe in a guy who works harder than anyone else and with limitless resources and drive being successful?

Is this picture supposed to be an example of Iron Man's superiority to Batman? It's like you're trying to prove yourself wrong.

Literal magic or comic book science that might as well be magic. Either way there's an explanation offered for what a character can do that isn't meta. Batman winning fights against armed and even superpowered enemies due to his popularity is entirely meta.

As long as you're not trying to bullshit me that an unpowered human can do what Batman does any explanation will do, as long as you have one.

Care to elaborate?

Because everyone's watching so many action movies they think they can do that stuff too.

So you're still sticking to your story of not being able to enjoy street level books because you don't think anyone can do what Batman does?

I can but it's not because they're "realistic" or some shit. I read them with headcanon that the character in question is superhuman which ironically makes the feats they're performing more believable. When the narrative tries to say otherwise, like with Cassandra Cain who has been shown dodging gunfire, I groan and ignore it, which is something I don't need to do when a character is actually supposed to have supernatural powers.

I think we shouldn't compare street level characters/stories to like galaxy or multiverse level characters/stories because they are too different to compare. I mean like a story about a guy taking down a crime lord is going to have very different themes and characters to a story about a guy stoping a godlike being from destroying his planet.
I mean like you might as well try to compare a Disney film to something like gurren lagann

Pretty much half of Morrison's Batman catalogue (who essentially created or at least popularized the idea of Batgod) make for better pages than this. I honestly couldn't care less and don't think any character is objectively better than any other, but I seriously hope you have better examples to support your argument of Iron Man being a better character.

So you don't flinch when Superman can hear and talk in space? When he tows planets with a chain? When Superboy punches reality? It's bullet-timing that causes you to throw your hands in the air? It's a fucking comic book and they're in same damn universe so tying one of the chains of "realism" and not the others seems highly hypocritical and borderline autistic.

I think the main issue is the story goes out of it's way to say most of the Batfamily are just normal human beings that are well trained.

>So you don't flinch when Superman can hear and talk in space

No. Because he's fucking Superman and I've been told from outset that everything he does in superhuman. Batman is superhuman but I'm being told that he isn't and no explanation is given for why he is.

Batman's boring, that's all there is to it

>Batman is superhuman

By what metric? Him being more capable than you? That's probably like 99% of Earth's current population so that's hardly superhuman. Are you one of those people who cry literal tears whenever Batman survives a gunshot wound or something?

Then Iron Man must be REALLY boring.

Imo
The fact they arent usually to high powered means they have to be smart or really skilled to get out of certain situation, whoch allows to make some good and tense scenarios.
Stakes are more clear too

Batman's entire character concept requires him to either be superhuman or for the plot to be on his side.

They're not. You're just crippled with a low IQ and lack of imagination that renders you unable to comprehend things you can't physically see.

It's also likely that you're a tremendous Punisher and Batman fan due to self-inserting yourself into the characters like a child, and probably often imagine killing people you dislike.

Do you have any idea just how much 1 hour of sleep a day (his average amount of sleep he gets in comics) will fuck a person up? You cannot "power through" that for years on end. He should be having hallucinations and various forms of psychosis, just about anything physical in his body should be breaking apart since he doesn't stop long enough for the body to repair it which means he's more crippled than the elderly at a hospice,a severe dulling of reaction speed and intelligence, so on so forth and the list goes on.

This.

Street-level is often more personal as opposed to BIG BAD WANTS TO RULE THE EARTH stories

I like street level stuff. Except for Batman. Most boring character of the batfamily.

>man dresses as a bat and fights millionaire penguins, characters from Alice in Wonderland and clown gangs
>not suffering form hallucinations and psychosis

Check mate, fucker

>reality

You mean literal bullshit and lies made up decades after the war with zero evidence?

Mad Jack Churchill existed. He carried a sword with him and may have gotten a long bow kill.

What the fuck? There are literal pictures of Jack Churchill running into battle with his claymore, you fucking retard.

Look up Alex Ross.

>Can outreact Flash
>Survive punches with the force of 100x exploding suns
>Pressure point enemies who laugh at nukes
>Street level

Shush

Just outreact? I saw him moving faster than light once.

And what's street level about Batman who can turn into a ghost at will, survive and beat the entire JL single handily so bad putting them all in the hospital, can survive Superman punching him thinking he's Doomsday who just killed Lois and other God like bullshit Batman regularly does?

For the times we live in we need a Superman or a Wondie. Badly. We are legit heading towards human extinction within a few years. Batman is a character who has massive amounts of power and influence and contribution to zero positive change for common people in desperate need all over the world.

Why did you type like a faggot???

For context, Jack Churchill wasn't going all out by his lonesome 24/7 or backed with the latest breakthrough tech that money could buy or low-grade superpowers, he operated as a part of a unit, who covered his ass greatly. We're not talking Batman or Daredevil level of street-level antics where they're stuck in the middle of a superhuman throwdown and aren't instantly ground into dust, he survived as long as he did because his antics were covered by competent soldiers with proper arms and equipment.

He captured over 42 germans SOLO with only his broadsword in a single night.
Batman may be bullshit but Jack Churchill really happened.

The only thing I can think of is Preacher, which isn't cape.

Remind me of Leo Major

Batman the guy who dodged the Omega Sanction?

Street level?

That guy?

Fuck you, OP.

That was an inflated account, he had backup and there was a reconnaissance unit not too far from his position already attacked German positions if I recall correctly.

Not saying what he did didn't take some mix of balls and crazy, but what you stated was simply untrue.

Man, I love Spider-Man. So I guess Street Levels are pretty good. But is Batman street level? He fights aliens and shit. I dunno.

>things casuals say

>Spider-Man doesn't fight aliens
>he only fights street level
How many comics have you actually read?

Because no one writes good cosmic horror these days.

A million

Are you saying humans are incapable of breaking concrete?

It's explained away as microsleeps (a very real thing) and meditation techniques. In no way is it impossible in the context of comic books. He also presumably has access to some of the most advanced medical technology in the world and keeps his body sustained with all the nutrients he needs when he's not on one of his crime-benders.

The lengths people will go to to try and hate Batman really amaze me sometimes.

Also you have to remember the times we see him up for like 2 weeks straight are few and far between, and they obviously take a serious toll on him. Most of the time he's back by morning and in bed.

I don't read anything below monitor-tier