Mystery Incorporated

So, most people would agree that this show did a lot of the same things that Gravity Falls did, only better right?

Yes, I know this show came out first.

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobyaddicts.com/Interviews.aspx?name=Mitch Watson&id=7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Romance in both shows were shit, but Mystery Incorporated did everything else right.

Both Gravity Falls and Mystery Inc. had a bit of a pacing issue where the first half of each show covered about 30% of the plot, and the remaining 70% was quickly crammed in the second half.

I think Gravity Falls ultimately did it better, partially by leaving more clues for the viewer and partially by having a slightly more character-driven backstory, but it definitely wouldn't have been possible without Mystery Inc. having come first.

Also, Mystery Inc. teasing a unified Hanna Barbara universe was fantastic. It as an amazing show overall, and really underrated.

First Season of Both shows were really strong. Gravity falls was probably stronger merely because there were a lot of crapy plot points in MI that had too much time spent on it

Season two though? MI blew GF out of the fucking water and as a whole series MI is better over all. Romance shit really fucked up having a near perfect cartoon series.

Not really sure how I felt about the ending though. Generally not a fan of reset button endings, but I guess they made it work well enough under the circumstances.

Bump I guess...

Mystery Inc dropped that halfway through the first season.

It's a really sad ending presented as a happy one, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's not a reset if everything else is changed and the gang remembers everything.

As mentioned, it's bittersweet. Their lives are objectively better and they have better relationships with their parents. If the gang had been reset as well, they'd probably enjoy it. But they very passionate about mysteries and these people felt like stranger to them, so they left everything behind.

I was happy in the conclusion, but it would've been neat to see what they were planning with the road trip and Miskatonic University.

I always found this show cringy as fuck

>everyone they know is at least subtly different, with most being changed completely
>these people remember completely different versions of the gang, with skills and interests and memories they don't have
>a few (Daphne's sisters) have their lives completely ruined
>the town is completely dull and lacking what they loved about it
>all this after watching everyone they know and love die horribly
>they decided to just fucking bail
It's pretty grim.

Why's that?

Not the "cringe" user but I imagine he takes offense to Scooby Doo for being the Dr. Who of animation and basically never stopping.
Doubt he actually watched MI.

Anyone got that picture of HDW being killed just offscreen?

Neither this show nor Gravity Falls invented the "creepy small town" genre.

>only better

Not really. Scooby Doo had good lore but it still got stuck in the some repetitive formula as previous shows, which got old after a while. GF was able to avoid formula for its whole run.

>it would've been neat to see what they were planning with the road trip and Miskatonic University.

I don't think they were planning anything, they drove off with the theme of the original Scooby Doo series playing in the background, the implication being that the road trip was that series.

>GF was able to avoid formula for its whole run.

A good chunk of S1 was Dipper trying to impress Wendy.

The road trip was basically the original HB series

how many times did dipper try to impress wendy, user?

Here ya go.

Thanks

The showrunner basically said it was an idea they had if they were renewed for a third season.

It would've been a new version of the original show in the first half and a brand new arc in the second half.

Mystery Inc had lots of tiny things hidden throughout the series, there just wasn't a large fan community to go over the show with a fine-tooth comb. For example, if you look at Pericles' cell when he's first introduced, it's covered in scribbles and diagrams. It's a very bad drawing of the four trial rooms they had to go through to reach the last boss.

>the "dog" dies

Holy shit, I never noticed this. Damn, this show really was Gravity Falls done right...

Not to mention it also has those articles you can only see if you stop the episode.

> Gravity Falls avoided formula

Gravity Falls fell into the same pitfall as Friendship is Magic, where the intended season-length plot was shunted into the first and last episodes.

Poor Ed Machine.

There's a little bit of development in season two, but yeah.

It would've been cool to get an almanac or journal similar to what Transformers Animated or Gravity Falls get. The show has a lot of lore potential for a book like that.

scoobyaddicts.com/Interviews.aspx?name=Mitch Watson&id=7

>I wouldn’t have ended the show any different. Tony and I always intended it to end like it did. We did actually work out what would happen if there was a third season (which they wanted overseas where the show was a global hit but unfortunately it never happened.) If you’ve watched the whole series you know that SDMI was a prequel to the original series in the 60’s. Our plan was to pick up the third season with the gang driving off to meet Harlan Ellison at college and solving mysteries along the way with many of the classic monsters popping up. We were also going to introduce a brand new long term mystery that revolved around the college. We had it ready to go but unfortunately two seasons was it.