Ever watch the whole thing? What did you think?

Ever watch the whole thing? What did you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_pen#The_Allied_bombing_offensive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Watched it the other day, couldn't stop cracking up at how much the correspondent looked like Bill Burr

It's a well made film. Nothing was here which didn't need to be.

Years ago. I enjoyed it. All the stuff in the sub is great and tense af.

Watched the movie a couple weeks ago. I barely remember any of it except the ending. God knows why though, I don't think it was a very remarkable ending.

How the fuck did they get away with having Nazi's as the good guys?

In the early 80s too. Portrayed every Nazi in a great light, pretty funny

People weren't offended by everything for no reason back then

they were the protagonists. Not necessarily the good guys

Jesus imagine serving on a WW1 U-boat. fucking death trap

Really good film. Weird though because this is true too. I've seen it several times and it's mostly just that last third that sticks with you. Whole thing is great, it's just interesting that it's this self contained world. There's no meme scenes to chew on later, it's just constructed really well with no filler in it at all.

WW1 was fine, there was no ASDIC or things like that
Whereas in WW2, 80% of U-boats were lost

>How the fuck did they get away with having Nazi's as the good guys?
The point is made in a scene at the start that the crew aren't Nazis at all; in fact the old engineer ridicules Hitler. The Kriegsmarine as a whole was the least 'Nazified' of all the arms; salty old sailors didn't care about politics or the idiots who spouted it.

even with the superior sub hunting technology, the U.S. lost 20% of all submarines in WWII.

This movie is so tense.
This is clearly the best german film ever made

In 1930s Germany, Nazi's were the good guys

you actually had better chances to survive in WW1. 54% of the ships were lost in WW1 while in WW2 it was 66%.

They made it pretty clear that they don't actually like Hitler and are just soldiers doing their job.

It is the only German film I have ever ever seen but I consider it in my top 5 favourite films of all time. Can someone recommend me some other prime German Kino to watch

Intense, but really forgettable.

>IT'S A LONG WAY TO TIPPERARY

I always wondered why they sang that song in that episode of Sealab. Thought it was random.

>really forgettable
I PLEAD to disagree. For such a long film set largely in one tiny location it is understandable that the on-board sections may mush together but all the key events are very memorable not to mention the brilliant intro and soul destroying ending scene.
If you find Das Boot forgettable it's because you failed to connect with the characters and their plight.

I watched Aguirre, the Wrath of God because like Das Boot it was also on that films women will never understand pic that gets posted here.
I thought it was pretty good. Although German humour just comes off as weird somehow, if I'm even right in interpreting it as humour.

Germans are soulless humans.

M
der untergang
the lives of others

>military dock gets like 15 seconds warning on an incoming air raid
is this realistic?

this

They are not. They are status obsessed and simple, but they shine whenever they are put in a competitive environment.

>WW1: Lose
>WW2: Lose
>Y-yes ve are ze Übermenschen!

>fought against everyone

imagine being this mad. declaring war on literally every country in the world, twice

Huntsh For Red October is better.

the air raid this early in the war is not realistic at all.

Das Boot is a film the alt-right will never understand.

wasn't the RAF already doing bombing raids on Berlin by 1940?

bombing a city from a high altitude is very different than a precision air strike on a heavily defended naval base. The first American attack on a u-boat base took place in 1942 and they did not really become successfull until late in the war.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_pen#The_Allied_bombing_offensive

The real U-96 was sunk in an air raid - but in March 1945, little more than a month before German surrender.

ah, gotcha
thanks familia

but the world declared war against us