Can somebody explain t me the difference between Marvel and DC's continuities...

Can somebody explain t me the difference between Marvel and DC's continuities? I've always heard that Marvel has one continuous universe that goes back to the beginning of the comics while DC reboots every couple of years.

I never really read DC because the lack of history made me not uninterested, but I'm asking because I remember New 52, and that DCYou thing not long ago, and now Rebirth in only a few years. Have they always rebooted this often?

Fuck off wikipediafag

Why don't you actually try reading something instead of debating the merits of universes you've never read like some sort of turbo autist. You want to read DC, go buy a Batman book and worry about the continuity of it all when your virginity grows back.

DC has only ever rebooted twice. In 1986 with Crisis, and in 2011 with Flashpoint/The New 52.

Every once in a while they change things up on a timeline/multiverse level, the latest being Rebirth which is just a way to bring back previous continuity into the current state of the universe.

DC You was noting more than just a marketing campaign where they launched new books.

While "technically" Marvel hasn't been rebooted (which it partially has with Heroes Reborn), it has had retcons out the ass as well, which in fact make things "harder" to reconcile. But who the fuck cares, just pick up a comic and .

Well, what you've heard is more or less true. Marvel's main universe (Earth-616) remains the same since 1930s, old Namor or Human Torch stories are generally still canon (unless they were retconned one way or another).

DC had few major universes: Earth-Two, Earth-One, Post-Crisis, Post Zero Hour, Post Infinite Crisis (New Earth) and Post-Flashpoint (Prime Earth). These universes either are parallel to each other (Earth-One and Earth-Two) or replace each other. Since Convergence, all previous universes are canon and exist somehow, creating hell of a mess. Current main universe of DC Comics began in 2011 with Flashpoint (the New 52 Initiative), DCYou and Rebirth were not crises per se, they just changed the in-universe status quo (for example Rebirth brought all the classic status quos back).

I'm probably mistaken here and there, so feel free to correct me, more knowledgeable anons.

Why is Crisis considered a reboot when Secret Wars isn't, despite them being the same thing?

The timeline didn't start over after Crisis. A lot of books just reshuffled things, and it was always clear that the Pre-crisis universe still happened.

>that DCYou thing
Relaunch, not a reboot.
Like the umpteen Marvel NOWs.

Thrice. You forgot Crisis on Two Earths.

You're dumb and wrong.

Are you referring to the Earth-One/Earth-Two team ups?

DC Crises happen to streamline continuity. Marvel Wars happen to look cool & shill merch.
Yeah the same shit happened. Difference is CoIE was one big excuse to change things and Secret Wars turned everything right back after it was done.

The first one, yeah.
Technically Barry Allen's debut was the reboot, since it retconned all the Golden Age stuff. CoTE just consolidated it.

>Secret Wars turned everything right back after it was done.

The ultimate universe says hello

It looks pretty accurate to me senpai.

So Punisher is still a Vietnam vet?

>reboot

The multiple earths existed as early as Diana's Golden Age. What Barry did, which didn't happen with his debut, was create the traditionally viewed DC Multiverse ONCE Flash of Two World's happened, which didn't really get consolidated for a few more years, till the 1961 debut of Justice League and the whole JSA was Earth Two, etc.

Also, Barry's debut didn't really reboot Clark or Bruce, much less Diana. Diana got confusing because the writers didn't want to follow the original writer, or wanted to add their own wrinkles. Most of Clark's Silver Age stuff happened post Barry, and part of what O'Neil wanted to do and what Byrne did, was in fact, the actual reboot of Superman, some 30 years post Barry, and doing away with some of the SA powers, etc.

>caring about the Ultimate Universe
Seriously though Ultimates^2 teased that it's coming back, if it isn't already. It just doesn't have its own comic line anymore.

Sliding Timeline, nigga. Everything since Fantastic Four #1 still happened, just in the past 15 years with appropriate historical landmarks.
Golden Age doesn't even need updating, they just extend the amount of time Cap was frozen/Torch was offline/Atlanteans live for.

Barry Allen's original appearance claimed that all of the Golden Age stories were just old in-universe comics themselves.

How anybody can say Marvel has a continuity that remains the same when by their own admission it's being literally constantly rewritten is fucking baffling.

Is this like where wrestling fans know wrestling is fake but just collectively agree to pretend it isn't? Do Marvel fans know their continuity doesn't exist but just agree to pretend it does, or are they actually that stupid?

And those stories sifted through the multiverse from Earth 2 to the writers in Earth 1.

Which wasn't the canon circumstance until Crisis on Two Earths, years later. As far as anyone knew, they'd just been retconned out of existence and had always just been the Silver Age's own comic stories.

the whole point of Rebirth is that Flashpoint WASN'T a reboot.

Punisher was in a war. Which war is unimportant, literally the only shit that changes is the color of the people he killed. Details relevant to his character all stay the same. And specifics that don't reference to real-world time-anchored events are always consistent: no matter what decade it is, his family was killed in a park because they happened across some gangsters stringing a dude up by his ankles.
I love Swamp Thing too. New 52 deleted 20 years of Swamp Thing stories as though they'd never even happened, and retconned several details older than 20 years to boot. That's not a criticism, New 52 Swamp Thing was great. But it is what it is. The difference is clear as day, why does this need spelling out?
If anything I think that DC's stories are on-the-whole stronger, since they can afford to be a lot more self-contained from comic to comic and run to run. The Lee/Kirby Marvel Age veritably depended on inter-title long-form continuity to sell their whole damn comic line for them, and continues to do so.
I am indeed a big rasslefag too so that may play a part.

Except the classic Swamp Thing still happened. New 52 was just what happened when 10 years were stolen, and those years are in the process of being restored.

The fact that you said they were "deleted" proves you don't actually read DC, which is par-the-course for Disniggers who whine about DC continuity.

btw, by "retconned details" I'm talking about removing a character from a important turning point in Swamp Thing's life so that New 52 Swamp Thing could wildly reimagine the same character and introduce him like he was brand new. Nothing that needed tweaking because [CURRENT YEAR].

I read Swamp Thing. That's enough for me.
>New 52 was just what happened when 10 years were stolen, and those years are in the process of being restored.
Indeed they are. Nobody knew that at the time, though. Far as anyone could tell New 52 was the new status quo. Just like the status quo CoIE set before it, that they've now gone back to. Or is the Cheetah I've seeing on the past year's Wondy covers actually Priscilla Rich?

>it's a Marvelfag pretends to know shit about DC episode

Oh, I hate these.

>DC reboots every couple of years.
That's what normies think.

Barbara Ann killed Priscilla

DC doesn't really reboot but does retcons to their universe, and eventually they bring elements of their old continuity back. The cycle repeat every few years. Nothing gets really thrown out forever. Currently they're in a continuity restoring cycle after what they did with The New 52.

And yes, Marvel is more straightforward in that regard. Don't believe the lies of anons here who spout the "Marvel always reboots xdxdxdxd" meme. Those fuckers know shit about comics and they have no idea what the fuck they're saying.

DC doesn't really ever restart, but they do retcon a fair bit. It helps the world not get super diluted. For as much as I love marvel they have some pretty convoluted things that are canon. I think certain heros like spiderman and the hulk could benfit greatly from a new52 style soft reset.

That sounds like forfeit. :^)
And it was a fundamentally different Priscilla to the pre-Crisis one. Diana's history was restarted & rewritten post-Crisis, Prisicilla was inserted into a story as an old biddy who scuffled with Wondy's mum back in the day, it was a re-imagining of an old familiar concept akin to Woodrue.

>I think certain heros like spiderman and the hulk could benfit greatly from a new52 style soft reset.
Yeah, those two are just depressing.

All I can tell you is to read a comic, because you've pretty clearly never touched one.

Keeeeeeeep it coming senpai =b
an mry critmit

DC does reboots every ~20 years where everything starts over with a handful of stuff from the previous continuity sticking around.

Marvel just periodically does minor retcons here and there to tidy up continuity or change it to their whims as time goes on.

Basically, when DC's house gets too run down, they move into a new house and bring over whatever furniture they liked while Marvel just keeps repairing any problems that show up in their original house.

DC have never had a reboot.

CoIE is an event that happened in-universe. Meaning everything that happened before still happened. Same thing with Flashpoint.

A reboot can't happen in-universe.

>Marvel just periodically does minor retcons here and there to tidy up continuity or change it to their whims as time goes on.
I can understand having gripes about the way DC reboots, but I prefer it to the Marvel way where you never know what the truth actually is.
With DC, things are solid for most cases.
This origin is the truth for This Era.
I say most because Donna Troy is a fucking Choose Your Own Adventure book.

>I prefer it to the Marvel way where you never know what the truth actually is.
Examples?

How is that different than Flashpoint, then?

What the deal with Peter's parents is, for instance.
More solidly, how long Cap was frozen.
And how many times has Norman Osborn died?

It's not different. Neither is a reboot.

The sliding timeline is actually a canon part of the Marvel universe.

I mean, I'd agree with you except for the fact that DC still has that problem even with the reboots. Just look at the New 52. It's a reboot, but because of that 5 year timeskip, there's 5 years worth of stories from the old continuity that happened in some form but we don't know the specifics on.

>What the deal with Peter's parents is, for instance.
They were SHIELD agents that died in a plane crash that may or may not have been a cover up.

>More solidly, how long Cap was frozen.
That's just sliding timescale, user. It's a 4:1 scale which means, as of 2016, he was unfrozen around 2002.

>And how many times has Norman Osborn died?
Only once. The Goblin Formula gave him a healing factor that kicked in upon his death that brought him back to life. The Oz Formula over in Ultimate worked the same way, which is how he managed to come back to life 3 times over there.

So are retcons. Also
>Galactus calling Adam out on the fact that he was retconned into the past
I kek everytime.

Marvel has a continuous series of soft resets and retcons that they call the sliding timescale. DC is actually more consistent with the continuity.

I love when black Adam gets better sentry moments as asides than Sentry ever got